Paleo vs Eatting clean?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is that after I stopped eating fake weight-watcher type "diet" snacks (100 calorie snack packs too), my cholesterol level plummeted. Do what works for you and unless they are paying your bills, pay them b*tches no mind!

How do I know if they're fake or not? I just bought some 100 calorie snack packs of nuts. Some are just roasted nuts, and others have a vanilla coating. Is there some specific ingredient I should look out for, or does the fact that they come in a big package, broken into individual packages, automatically eliminate them from a healthy diet?

I'm not talking about roasted nuts...those are freaking awesome. I'm talking about 100 calorie "diet" foods that are super processed. I was into lean cuisines and weight watchers snacks with thousand ingredient labels. I was also pretty thin but had off the chart cholesterol. When I stopped eating that garbage, my cholesterol went down to normal levels. I was eating tons of high cholesterol foods like whole eggs and red meat too.....but still it was much lower so I am assuming it was what I was eating previously.

Did you lose weight over that period of time?
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how they sound like the same thing. Clean eating you eliminate processed foods, but you can still eat dairy and certain foods that are restricted on a Paleo diet.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    But as far as the silly, ill-defined claims that each represent?

If you want to do low-carb, go for it. Many people have great success with it. It can be a method of controlling your calories. But it's not some magic pill which will allow you to overeat and still lose weight, and if you plan to reintroduce carbs into your diet in the future, you're still going to have to learn how to eat them in moderation, so you can do that now, or later. Or just never eat bread or potatoes again. But please don't buy into the whole Paleo cult.

Same for "clean eating." It's extremely wide open as to what that entails, as the rules change depending on who you ask. Unproccessed (which means nothing at all from a can or bottle, box or bag?) without things you can't pronounce (I can pronounce almost anything, and fruits/vegetables contain compounds that are remarkably similar to those things most people can't pronounce) or more than 5 ingredients (which I guess leaves out most of my homemade dishes with fresh ingredients, as I use way more than 5 ingredients, even if most of them are veggies and herbs/spices.)

Still, you do you. Try a few things and see what works best in taking the weight off and keeping you sane at the same time. Find something that will stick, that is sustainable, a new way of life instead of a temporary "diet."

I think they mean more than 5 ingredients on packaged items, not homemade.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Maybe I am untypical because when I hear someone wanting to eat a healthier diet I don't instantly feel as though they have just walked across the room and slapped me in the face)

It's sucks being the sane minority, doesn't it?

There is a silver lining.... like I said in a previous thread... There's less quality food at the supermarket or even farmer's market and the less people I have to race to get there the better.
    You buy your food?
    Crazy. I only consume things that have never been exchanged for money. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I, for one, am fascinated by the argument that pumpkin from a can qualifies as eating clean.

Beer comes in a can too! I guess in the infinite revolving door definition of clean eating I think of clean eating as being "more" simple.

Is beer "clean"?

It's not paleo, so that goes back to the original question posed by this thread, yay!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Maybe I am untypical because when I hear someone wanting to eat a healthier diet I don't instantly feel as though they have just walked across the room and slapped me in the face)

There is a silver lining.... like I said in a previous thread... There's less quality food at the supermarket or even farmer's market and the less people I have to race to get there the better.
    You buy your food?
    Crazy. I only consume things that have never been exchanged for money. :)

I never said I BOUGHT the food. The new trend is actually eating it raw on the counter before you are spotted. We call it speed-paleo.
    At least you aren't one of those crazy freegans!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I was eating tons of high cholesterol foods like whole eggs and red meat too.....but still it was much lower so I am assuming it was what I was eating previously.

Most people's cholesterol doesn't respond to dietary cholesterol.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

If you want to do low-carb, go for it. Many people have great success with it. It can be a method of controlling your calories. But it's not some magic pill which will allow you to overeat and still lose weight, and if you plan to reintroduce carbs into your diet in the future, you're still going to have to learn how to eat them in moderation, so you can do that now, or later. Or just never eat bread or potatoes again. But please don't buy into the whole Paleo cult.

Same for "clean eating." It's extremely wide open as to what that entails, as the rules change depending on who you ask. Unproccessed (which means nothing at all from a can or bottle, box or bag?) without things you can't pronounce (I can pronounce almost anything, and fruits/vegetables contain compounds that are remarkably similar to those things most people can't pronounce) or more than 5 ingredients (which I guess leaves out most of my homemade dishes with fresh ingredients, as I use way more than 5 ingredients, even if most of them are veggies and herbs/spices.)

Still, you do you. Try a few things and see what works best in taking the weight off and keeping you sane at the same time. Find something that will stick, that is sustainable, a new way of life instead of a temporary "diet."

What difference does it make?

For example, for lunch today I purchased a wrap involving more than 5 ingredients. I could make the same basic wrap at home (but didn't). Why would the homemade one be "clean" and the restaurant one be "unclean," assuming I had reason to believe that the quality of the ingredients from the restaurant were comparable?

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

To be fair, the OP never came back to clarify what her reasons or goals are for wanting change her diet to paleo or clean. For all we know, it has little to do with health and she just wants to do it because she read somewhere that she could lose 3 inches off her hips in a week if she just switches to one of these eating styles. And we all know that neither paleo or clean eating guarantee health improvements because it's possible to have an unbalanced diet no matter how you eat.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Many of my organic frozen vegetables come with more than 5 veggies. In a plastic bag.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

To be fair, the OP never came back to clarify what her reasons or goals are for wanting change her diet to paleo or clean. For all we know, it has little to do with health and she just wants to do it because she read somewhere that she could lose 3 inches off her hips in a week if she just switches to one of these eating styles. And we all know that neither paleo or clean eating guarantee health improvements because it's possible to have an unbalanced diet no matter how you eat.

I don't blame the OP for not coming back. Between you, me and the rest of us it's a bit like kindergarten!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was eating tons of high cholesterol foods like whole eggs and red meat too.....but still it was much lower so I am assuming it was what I was eating previously.

Most people's cholesterol doesn't respond to dietary cholesterol.

^^^^^ yep!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I have ZERO problem with simple correction of misinformation. The mocking, insulting, and other stupid BS that often comes with it is my issue. It started from the first replies to OP's post. Why? Because it was a thread about clean eating. And paleo. Double whammy.

Correcting misinformation is one thing. Correcting misinformation is very good. I like that. Mob mentality mockery and threadjacking is another. But since OP didn't come back, I suppose it must all be justified? I don't buy that. OP didn't come back, but other people still read it. I'm not even a "clean eater" but this nonsense bothers me. But I'll get over it. Because it doesn't matter since tomorrow, or later today, someone else will have a question about either topic and the circus will begin all over again. Except maybe it will be different topic someone needs to know about. It seems like poorly done Googling is better than coming here for info any more. You have to wade through much more garbage.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So who is the wacko who flagged a bunch of posts here as spam when they clearly are not?

If there's no negative repercussions for frivolous flagging, I think you at least ought to be able to see who did the flagging.

/off-topic complaint
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too - seriously people keep joking that folks are using it as a like button - that's not what's happening, is it? Because I really don't know why these benign statements would get flagged?

Awaiting my flag in 3..2...1....
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The mocking, insulting, and other stupid BS that often comes with it is my issue. It started from the first replies to OP's post. Why? Because it was a thread about clean eating. And paleo. Double whammy.

Oh, that's not true at all.

OP asked about whether the two were the same (which ought to be obvious, especially since "clean" apparently means whatever the user wants it to mean, but whatever). I gave a long detailed ON TOPIC answer to that, and OP did not respond at all.

Most of this thread has been discussion of what "clean" is and what "paleo" is and various ideas about whether they are helpful. Also, the reason "clean eating" comes in for such mockery has nothing to do with people wanting to eat healthy--that's generally supported. It has to do with people deciding that they wish to choose a label that insults the food choices made by others. If you do that, then of course people are going to challenge your claim. If you don't want it, choose something more neutral.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

Right - none of those guidelines seems to fit the description of why things were flagged in this thread. I wish people who flagged things would just say, "I flagged you because...."

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just think of the flag as a "like" button. That's the way I go about it.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is that after I stopped eating fake weight-watcher type "diet" snacks (100 calorie snack packs too), my cholesterol level plummeted. Do what works for you and unless they are paying your bills, pay them b*tches no mind!

How do I know if they're fake or not? I just bought some 100 calorie snack packs of nuts. Some are just roasted nuts, and others have a vanilla coating. Is there some specific ingredient I should look out for, or does the fact that they come in a big package, broken into individual packages, automatically eliminate them from a healthy diet?

I'm not talking about roasted nuts...those are freaking awesome. I'm talking about 100 calorie "diet" foods that are super processed. I was into lean cuisines and weight watchers snacks with thousand ingredient labels. I was also pretty thin but had off the chart cholesterol. When I stopped eating that garbage, my cholesterol went down to normal levels. I was eating tons of high cholesterol foods like whole eggs and red meat too.....but still it was much lower so I am assuming it was what I was eating previously.

Did you lose weight over that period of time?

No...ironically, I was heavier by A LOT but had way lower cholsterol when I stopped eating super processed food (not ALL processed food...but the kind I referrd to earlier). My entire life I had very high (genetic) cholesterol.