225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    A lot of the above is more of a localized effect rather than systemic and this is why supersets and circuits are very effective training methods. Once you've moved on to another muscle group and come back you will have replenished some of the energy and flushed out the H+ ions.

It's also worth noting that we synthesize ATP at a ridiculously fast rate. I was at a talk where Ron Vale was discussing how on average we generate over 200kg of ATP per day but from reading I've done in the past I've read we only have about 60gr worth of ATP at any given time. So we're converting ADP to ATP at a constant, and ridiculously high rate.

True, every molecule of glucose creates, in theory, 38 net ATP molecules. That's a ton but fatigue is often attriubted more by the build up of H+ ions rather than the ATP depletion but muscle fatigue is a facinating and rather large area of study.

If you expand on localization, depleting the local ATP supply converts the ATP to ADP right? Well, all transit in the cell is handled by ATP (the point of the talk), and cellular transit is important for energy needs and a few other things, but to overly simplify things, it can cause us to slow down, until the ADP is converted back to ATP.

Granted, replenishment is very quick, but that's why I believe even a brief rest between reps can revitalize you. Then as you mention as well is the build up of H+, which I know little of, so I can only sit back, nod sagely, and say, "... yes. Exactly that."
  • dbmata
    Options
    I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?

Strange indeed, But really weight is a means to no end. I figure as long as you lift regardless of the weight until you fail then that's all that matters....
    Because you're tired.

My workout yesterday, my warmup set was 30 reps of 205# bench, I got 18 in, had to rack and rest a minute, got another 10, and my coach had to help with lock out of the last two. I then laddered down until the last set. 65#, 30 reps. Rep 22 or 23, I can't remember which but it was hellish feeling, I got the bar to my chest, and it wouldn't rise up, at all. 65 pounds. Then I got down to do a set of 20 pushups (I was doing those for rest between bench sets.), and nothing doing. I dropped on my face on my second pushup.

I did get 18 reps at 205. Not bad for my tiny *kitten* arms.

The 18 total at 205 is impressive! I am so curious as to what I will accomplish next week.

Thanks, everything hurts today except for my wedding tackle. I foam rolled my legs after my workout, and those hurt the most... lol.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everything hurts today except for my wedding tackle. I foam rolled my legs after my workout, and those hurt the most... lol.
    Just place that foam roller between your legs and roll. I'm sure that will help them catch up. lol

• dbmata
    Options
    I'll get the local crack head to just punch me a few times in the crotch.
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    FYI: Yesterday's Pec/Lat workout:

Bench
    165# x 10 x 10

Incline Press/Chin-Ups SS
    140# x 10 x 5
    5 sets chins

Flat Dumbbell Bench flys/Chin-Ups SS
    45# x 10 x 5
    5 sets chins

Finished off with Cable Face Pullers 90# x 10 x 5.

So it will be interesting to do rep test like this next week. I am probably going on a good basic meat-n-pototaes liner program after next week for at least 8 weeks until I get bored and then I think I will try this rep max test again.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I'll get the local crack head to just punch me a few times in the crotch.
    lol. Pretty sure that comes with fees and diseases though.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that I also want test my 225 rep max (in addition to my 1RM on a separate day) on the bench press because I have never done that before. Sounds fun. I'm guessing I will press around 20 times. 225 seems like

Are you in?

I look forward to hearing your results. A good pump up song for the contest: "Let the Bodies His the Floor" - Drowning Pool
    -
    -
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?

Strange indeed, But really weight is a means to no end. I figure as long as you lift regardless of the weight until you fail then that's all that matters....
    Because you're tired.

My workout yesterday, my warmup set was 30 reps of 205# bench, I got 18 in, had to rack and rest a minute, got another 10, and my coach had to help with lock out of the last two. I then laddered down until the last set. 65#, 30 reps. Rep 22 or 23, I can't remember which but it was hellish feeling, I got the bar to my chest, and it wouldn't rise up, at all. 65 pounds. Then I got down to do a set of 20 pushups (I was doing those for rest between bench sets.), and nothing doing. I dropped on my face on my second pushup.

See I used to think this, but that doesn't explain why 2 minutes later, I'm pushing at 100% on the next lift going from flat bench to incline bench.

• TossaBeanBag
    edited November 2014
    Options
    gym-o.gif
  • dbmata
    Options

Because you're tired.

See I used to think this, but that doesn't explain why 2 minutes later, I'm pushing at 100% on the next lift going from flat bench to incline bench.

Quick recovery, different plane of movement, different muscle recruitment, ATP replenished. Mentally recharged.

Or, peds. lol. kidding.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Because you're tired.

The 18 total at 205 is impressive! I am so curious as to what I will accomplish next week.

foam roll your wedding tackle- then you can say everything ACTUALLY hurts.

you're welcome.
  • TossaBeanBag
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What the heck is wedding tackle?

Never mind. I got it, now. I'm a little slow. LOL.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    What the heck is wedding tackle?

Never mind. I got it, now. I'm a little slow. LOL.
    In case the rest of the class needs a reminder... lol

• TossaBeanBag
    Options
    tumblr_llm2yi03fg1qkufaeo1_250.gif
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    gym-o.gif
    Boyhowdy, if that works, I've been doing it wrong.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I was thinking that I also want test my 225 rep max (in addition to my 1RM on a separate day) on the bench press because I have never done that before. Sounds fun. I'm guessing I will press around 20 times. 225 seems like

Are you in?

I look forward to hearing your results. A good pump up song for the contest: "Let the Bodies His the Floor" - Drowning Pool
    -
    -
    I'll keep you posted! Hopefully that song won't be my epitaph.
  • TossaBeanBag
    Options

Are you in?

-
    -

No, you're going to kill it! Punish that 225! That's easy weight. I expect 25 reps, at least.
  • dbmata
    Options

Are you in?

-
    -

Squat rack, set the pins, and spit in the face of death.
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Are you in?

-
    -

No, you're going to kill it! Punish that 225! That's easy weight. I expect 25 reps, at least.
    25?

Yep, you have it in for me. lol
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My bet is 10 to 12 for civilizedworm.