Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Thanks Gail Hawkins, It still is a bit confusing but I am working on it. I was also reading about glycerin and from my research it does add to the daily carb amount.

quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/is-glycerin-a-healthy-sweetener

Well glycerin as a sweetener is a new one on me but I did just read the above. All of this can be so confusing. Yesterday when LolBroScience posted the link awesome link about the dangers eating fewer calories than you need as we all have done was an eye opener as to why most people are better off not to even diet if we do not understand the full picture. The body is really an amazing work of art.

Two months ago when I gave sugar and most carbs the boot that applied to any and all sweeteners so now I just try to avoid foods with them when possible. After totally ditching sugar I lost the sugar/sweet craving but I am going to read more about.

There is a lot of new research going on about dieting that I look forward to reading about next year hopefully.

You're not dieting down into the single digits of body fat. Did you not read anything else that I mentioned? It seems as if you missed my entire point and just decided to read or hear what you wanted.
    Lol. Don't let him get to you brother. It's just not worth it. He's not even bothering to read your stuff

agreed….

ndj you might consider upgrading your photo so you do not look so far behind LolBroScience's new look.

How about you actually address what I said?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

ndj1975 and LolBroScience I expect in the real world you are two young guys showing real potential. If you guys work to gain some current knowledge on dieting and lifting the sky may be the limit. You are going however have to do some real research on lifting, dieting and get to know your hormones that are in fact your best friends or your worse enemy.

Get to know your hormonal states and stop limiting yourselves and making nonsense posts. It works best if one builds some muscle between the ears before dieting and/or lifting. The two of you seem motivated but you MUST start working in an informed way vs. just tilting with old men.

Today one does not have to have earned a terminal degree in the field of science/healthcare to get their minds around the current knowledge base on dieting or most any other subject. Just read the current research.

Until you better develop your BS detecting skills stay away from information coming from anyone selling a book, dieting products, etc because of the huge potential conflict of interest. As I have told you I will not try to mislead you in any way especially since I do hold an OD degree and there is an obligation to the other readers that I do not mislead them.

If you wish to keep sparing with me we can do that. I know very little and many know much more but often time they will not get involved with people who claim to know things that they clearly do not know. Most find uninformed forum bullies distasteful. If you guys will try to stop blowing way people (I am not talking things you type to me) who have a lot to offer myfitnesspal then myfitnesspal will be of even more value to the world than it is today.

You can I am sure become an asset to myfitnesspal vs leading those who may listen to you astray on the most basic of things that may cause them a life time of harm.

On the subject of building muscle and losing fat at the same time I know it is not easy but many of us have. Clearly this is more easy for those of us who are both really overweight and have lost muscle muscle mass like most who come to myfitnesspal. If you have 10% body fat and muscles that win regularly in contests this is not going to work so well for you.

The person who is overweight and can only do three push ups we know can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time because we have or are doing it currently. The link above is really talking to current body builders not we fat ones that have let our muscles waste away. The role some of our 50 hormones play are critical to understand. This is hit LolBroScience in the link below that you posted.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

ndj1975 and LolBroScience I expect in the real world you are two young guys showing real potential. If you guys work to gain some current knowledge on dieting and lifting the sky may be the limit. You are going however have to do some real research on lifting, dieting and get to know your hormones that are in fact your best friends or your worse enemy.

Get to know your hormonal states and stop limiting yourselves and making nonsense posts. It works best if one builds some muscle between the ears before dieting and/or lifting. The two of you seem motivated but you MUST start working in an informed way vs. just tilting with old men.

Today one does not have to have earned a terminal degree in the field of science/healthcare to get their minds around the current knowledge base on dieting or most any other subject. Just read the current research.

Until you better develop your BS detecting skills stay away from information coming from anyone selling a book, dieting products, etc because of the huge potential conflict of interest. As I have told you I will not try to mislead you in any way especially since I do hold an OD degree and there is an obligation to the other readers that I do not mislead them.

If you wish to keep sparing with me we can do that. I know very little and many know much more but often time they will not get involved with people who claim to know things that they clearly do not know. Most find uninformed forum bullies distasteful. If you guys will try to stop blowing way people (I am not talking things you type to me) who have a lot to offer myfitnesspal then myfitnesspal will be of even more value to the world than it is today.

You can I am sure become an asset to myfitnesspal vs leading those who may listen to you astray on the most basic of things that may cause them a life time of harm.

On the subject of building muscle and losing fat at the same time I know it is not easy but many of us have. Clearly this is more easy for those of us who are both really overweight and have lost muscle muscle mass like most who come to myfitnesspal. If you have 10% body fat and muscles that win regularly in contests this is not going to work so well for you.

The person who is overweight and can only do three push ups we know can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time because we have or are doing it currently. The link above is really talking to current body builders not we fat ones that have let our muscles waste away. The role some of our 50 hormones play are critical to understand. This is hit LolBroScience in the link below that you posted.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

you did not address any of my questions, so I am not going to address any of yours…

basic math says that you can not build something out of nothing.

Will the obese beginner have "newbie gains" yes, but those only last for three months, if that. And if they keep eating in a deficit they will more than likely lose the small bit of muscle that they gained.

this should pretty much cover it for you

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/
  • LolBroScience
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Probably better off using your BA, Bible, Psychology degree to determine what went wrong with your basic comprehension skills.

Has an OD degree, yet cannot formulate complete thoughts and sentences, or use proper grammar and punctuation. What does an OD degree have to do with hypertrophy or fat loss anyway? Dr. Oz is a doctor, but he's been ripped apart by congress and consumers on false claims he's made. Strong argument there...

You still have yet to actually post any peer reviewed literature, yet claim to base your thoughts on science? A link to a bodybuilding.com article? Really?

I never said it was impossible to create hypertrophy while in a deficit. It is not at all optimal, and for it to occur conditions need to be near perfect. My point (which still stands) is that YOU are not doing it, nor is a woman eating 1400 calories per day.

I have no need to continue SPARRING with you as you're doing a pretty sufficient job of beating yourself up with every successive comment you make.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP have you long since abandoned your thread to this forbidden love affair?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    OP have you long since abandoned your thread to this forbidden love affair?

lol
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    agrasso88 wrote: »
    Check back with people that have followed this exact diet for twenty years and see what their health is like then.

We have seen what 40 years of low fat high carb diet has done to the Western World...It isn't good. Obesity is everywhere as is metabolic disease.

Yes and physical activity levels have nothing to do with that? :rollseyes:

If you look at the dietary intake you will see even over the last decade that fat intake has increased along with carbs and to simply blame carbs while ignoring the other makes little sense. You will also see how activity levels declined over the same period.

Who financed the study is irrelevant if the study is designed well and the same goes for size. It's interesting if you have metabolic syndrome perhaps but, I would like to see a longer time frame on each diet to get a better picture.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Probably better off using your BA, Bible, Psychology degree to determine what went wrong with your basic comprehension skills.

Has an OD degree, yet cannot formulate complete thoughts and sentences, or use proper grammar and punctuation. What does an OD degree have to do with hypertrophy or fat loss anyway? Dr. Oz is a doctor, but he's been ripped apart by congress and consumers on false claims he's made. Strong argument there...

You still have yet to actually post any peer reviewed literature, yet claim to base your thoughts on science? A link to a bodybuilding.com article? Really?

I never said it was impossible to create hypertrophy while in a deficit. It is not at all optimal, and for it to occur conditions need to be near perfect. My point (which still stands) is that YOU are not doing it, nor is a woman eating 1400 calories per day.

I have no need to continue SPARRING with you as you're doing a pretty sufficient job of beating yourself up with every successive comment you make.

Hey there is hope for you since you are starting to build some researching skills. Maybe now you can move beyond 40 year old dieting knowledge. :smiley:

You have yet to answer the question but you insist on attacking people. You just don't get it. I feel sorry for those employees of yours in Kentucky.

Don't you just hate it when people steal your MO! :D

I hear something buzzing but can't make out the words.

I know he's off his invisible forum ban, that he didn't even realize he was on, but I still can't make it out.

Lol - you are funny.

Unlike you I have dialogue with the administrators! Honoring something i have been asked to do maybe an alien concept for you, but not for me (although I thought I would treat myself today)!

So buzz, buzz, buzz!
    P.s. thanks for not ignoring me - I was worried I wasn't annoying you anymore. :)

You're obviously not even aware enough to realize your posts were invisible to the board for days and days. Lol. Who do you think is responsible for that ban disappearing? But it doesn't matter.

Honor that system well I see. Especially since this isn't the first time you've addressed me.

I can't be annoyed by someone that holds no value to me.

You say the sweetest things!

Not sure if you are aware but it wasn't a ban! we were asked to keep each others post invisible on our profiles - something we can add and remove ourselves - or at least it was my end (was your's enforced?).

And when I say were asked - we got PM's at the point it happened and it was explained why, or at least it was to me, sorry if it wasn't explained to you.

But don't worry you were always in my heart the whole time. I'm glad to see you haven't changed, I don't think knowledge, understanding and compassion would be a good look on you anyway!

Also I'm not too sure how to make the posts invisible anymore, which is why I can see yours - if you know let, me know and I'll stick you back on mute (for a while anyway).

<3

So you aren't aware that in the past few weeks you would post, the fact that you posted was visible from the outside of the thread but when you went into the thread it actually wasn't there? Lol. The bans were lifted last Sunday. It was a new feature they have. What you are talking about is when the mods went into our profiles and banned each other from replying to each other. This was different. You just weren't aware. But some of us were. But either way, no need to explain it to you further. It's like talking to a wall that won't listen to facts. Feel free to believe what you want.

I know you keep a real keen track on me (it's cute and makes me feels special). But you were probably aware I haven't been posting on the forums regulary for well over a month and have only just come back the last week or so (I may have missed the ban, but only due to my absence :) Sorry I wasn't about, you were still in the thoughts though).

I always believe what I want, I think that's why we get on so great, we are so alike!

It's like talking to a wall.

Then just stop talking - or carry on - either way I will give your words the respect and attention they deserve!

• LolBroScience
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Hey there is hope for you since you are starting to build some researching skills. Maybe now you can move beyond 40 year old dieting knowledge. :smiley:

Would you like to coach me and manipulate my strength training and macros? I don't think I would fair well building muscle on a ketogenic caloric deficit, but I do love to take advice from people from people who cannot even implement it themselves.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Is there an ignore button or at least a 'STFU, you complete pillock' diverter on this site?

If there was I wouldn't be reading this!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-products/
  • volfan22
    Options
    Volfan22
    I have seen so many peoples lives improve by removing wheat, starches and sugar. Not just in losing fat weight - but in how they feel and look (skin clears up) - they don't have to carry tums everywhere because heartburn is GONE, diabetics are stable and their numbers are better than they have ever been. I even have my dad starting it because he was diagnosed with melanoma in 2 spots and I have read about the benefits of ketones and cancer. No results for him yet - but I have faith for sure!

I have been one of those constant heart burn kind of people. I have noticed in the couple of days I have been going lower and low carb my indigestion is gone. Just that is enough to give me incentive to stay on the low carb. I was on Atkins about 40 years ago for about 10 years. I did well and not really sure why I drifted off. Well I am back. need to loose weight so badly.

Chris

Honestly losing weight is just a side effect for me - I knew I needed to drop weight - BUT - I felt like absolute garbage when I ate wheat/sugar. Once I got past the detox phase (for me it was about week 3 and lasted about 4 days) - I was AMAZED at how wonderful I felt. Bloat, heartburn, sluggishness - GONE - I had a great amount of energy and just felt so much better. And now, 6 months later - even after the holiday (which I made my own Ketofied versions of food and cooked "the other stuff" for the family) - I know I can make this work for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You do realize that people who are overweight have much more muscle mass than people who are "normal" weight or underweight because it takes muscle to carry around tons of weight.

Someone who is 350lb and 50% bf has 175lbs of lean body mass. Someone who is 170lbs and 9% bf has 155lbs of lean muscle mass.

The point of a progressive resistance program is to limit how much muscle you lose while you eat at a deficit; when you're at a deficit, you are using your stored energy sources to fuel your body. To help skew the ratio of lost fat to muscle towards fat, you need progressive resistance and an adequate protein intake (although studies have shown that resistance activity is far more effective than protein intake).
  • volfan22
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Thank you Chris

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What is considered LCHF? When I was logging here, I was always over on fat and under on carbs, but I've never really considered my eating habits high or low anything.

Depends on how strict you're being. In essence, it's "as few carbs as you can get away with" and then sub fats in for them.

I'm following the 'keto' diet, so I try to keep below 15g per day, but generally end up around 30. Fiber "doesn't count."

I would also ask, is the point to enter ketosis at ALL? Because that affects the answer - if you're just cutting them because of BECAUSE, then maybe under 100 or so?

Alas, I'm a bit of an extremist, might be worth googling.

Holy crap! 15g of carbs per day?!? :o No, that is not for me. I can't imagine how I could eat vegetables and keep carbs that low.

Yeahbut - "fiber doesn't count."

I'm a HUGE fan of kale, kelp, spinach, zucchini, peapods, cukes, artichokes - basically anything that grows aboveground, and in moderation :)

I'm not knocking your diet. If it's working for you that's great. I'm just saying it's not for me. I eat about 10 times that amount of carbs most days.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Thank you Chris

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.
  • volfan22
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Thank you Chris

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.

Thank you sunshine!