Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-products/

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

I have no problem with stevia, but processed is processed, and it doesn't make it bad. You can take a liquid, dry it out and powder the results (essentially shake) and end up with granules. That doesn't make it any different than what you're eating. And what you're eating has gone through a machine.

Neither is bad, neither is good; it just is.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    To be fair, though - generally any sweetener in granule form has binders like maltodextrin, which adds a carb per serving.
    The liquid versions don't require binders, so you end up with a carb free version.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.

Thank you sunshine!

I'm glad you addressed the point that your spouting mom-science.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Thank you Chris

Thank you sunshine!

Oh you had a point? I just thought you were being a smart *kitten*. Here's a site you can go to - it will help you better understand the science.

http://steviauniversity.com/health-benefits-of-stevia/diabetes-and-obesity
  • LazerMole
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

The liquid version isn't better because it's "more natural" - it's better for a keto diet because it doesn't have *binders*. Thus, it doesn't add to your carb count for the day, since your body isn't processing any maltodextrin (starch).
  • auddii
    Options
    LazerMole wrote: »
    Oy vey, people.

The liquid version isn't better because it's "more natural" - it's better for a keto diet because it doesn't have *binders*. Thus, it doesn't add to your carb count for the day, since your body isn't processing any maltodextrin (starch).

Then say that as opposed to saying the "processed stuff is bad"? That's the issue.
  • volfan22
    Options
    Something tells me we have a lot of experts here. I want to go on record right now - I am no expert - I am sharing MY EXPERIENCE and products I have used to succeed in eating the ketogenic way. There - now you have my disclosure, can we please move on?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Steviauniversity. Brilliant. Do you know what the naturalistic fallacy is?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Thank you Chris

Thank you sunshine!

Oh you had a point? I just thought you were being a smart *kitten*. Here's a site you can go to - it will help you better understand the science.

http://steviauniversity.com/health-benefits-of-stevia/diabetes-and-obesity

Not the best source of unbiased information eh?
  • volfan22
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

Then say that as opposed to saying the "processed stuff is bad"? That's the issue.

Where was is said that processed stuff is bad?
  • LazerMole
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

I never said processed stuff is bad. I'm attacking both sides of this inane debate. And in this case, the processed stuff isn't good, because it means starch has been added to create a granular form, which adds to a keto-ers daily carb count. So in this case, the non-processed stuff is "better" for the particular goal of said dieter.

Does it imbue processed stuff with inherent badness? Absolutely not.
    Does it make the processed stuff the worse alternative when trying to limit carb intake? Absolutely.
  • auddii
    Options

Thank you Chris

You said^

And you called it processed, implying that your liquid is not. It is processed, and processed is often associated with bad. Why not just say, avoid the powder because extra binders are added (although if the body can't process maltodextrin, I'm not sure why it wouldn't "work" for the ketogenic diet).
  • auddii
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

I never said processed stuff is bad. I'm attacking both sides of this inane debate. And in this case, the processed stuff isn't good, because it means starch has been added to create a granular form, which adds to a keto-ers daily carb count. So in this case, the non-processed stuff is "better" for the particular goal of said dieter.

Does it make the processed stuff the worse alternative when trying to limit carb intake? Absolutely.
    You didn't someone else did; I was talking to them.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

Where was is said that processed stuff is bad?

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like they are interested in dressing a lot of strawmen so they can binge on fallacy this morning.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Diabetes CANNOT be cured. Once you are a diabetic, you are a diabetic for life.

This seems to be a semantic convention rather than a fact. If Dr A gets a patient to normal levels of blood sugar (fasting and HbA1c) would Dr B diagnose them as diabetic ?

Newcaslte University seem to think it's reversible "Our work has shown that type 2 diabetes is not inevitably progressive and life-long. We have demonstrated that in people who have had type 2 diabetes for 4 years or less, major weight loss returns insulin secretion to normal."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

well yea, if you are going for an insanely low amount of carbs I guess that makes sense..

but for the rest of us non-ketoers it does not matter...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Thank you Chris

Also--and I understand it's far more dangerous than cyanide--white sugar!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

double post
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Thank you Chris

Also--and I understand it's far more dangerous than cyanide--white sugar!

White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.