What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    That you can't lose weight unless you only eat rabbit food. I make delicious homemade pizza every week and it's not an issue, it hasn't hurt my weight loss the past 6 months so I doubt it ever will. When I tell friends I had pizza for dinner they're shocked like it's not possible to lose weight unless you only eat salads.
  • tfire77
    tfire77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The gym in January. New year reveloutioners
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My biggest weight loss pet peeves:
    • Any mention of "detoxing" or "cleansing"
    • "I can't lose weight and I've tried EVERYTHING!" Oh they've tried everything alright, everything except counting calories properly and sticking to a healthy daily calorie limit. *facepalm*
    • "Counting calories is too hard/tedious/annoying/boring/time consuming/etc. I don't want to do that!" Counting calories is also the most sure way of losing weight. You MIGHT lose weight on other diets...or you might not, even if you follow them strictly. But if you follow a calorie counting plan (or something equivalent to that, like Weight Watchers for instance), you are GOING to lose weight! (As long as you're doing it properly and you don't have any underlying medical issues.) It's all math: calories in, calories out.
    • "Oh my goodness, you've lost so much weight! You look fantastic! HOW DID YOU DO IT???? TELL ME!!! Ohhh...you just ate healthier and exercised? I can't do that, that's too hard for me. I was hoping you knew some secret trick or something." Ughhh this one drives me crazy! No, I didn't use some magical potion to lose the weight! Yes, you do actually have to work if you want to lose weight!
    • "Why aren't you having cake and ice cream?! You're skinny now! You can eat whatever you want. You don't have to diet anymore!" Um...NO. First, I'm not "skinny." Second, I'm not "dieting," it's called eating healthy and not overeating and since I already ate too much earlier in the day, I can't afford to have cake and ice cream right now. And most importantly...no, I can't eat whatever I want because that's what got me fat in the first place.
    • "I want to lose 30 lbs in 2 months!!! I hate slow weight loss! I don't have the patience to wait longer than that! I just want to work super hard for a really short period of time and be done with it!" I've given up on these people; they're too stubborn, stupid, and impatient! You want to lose 30 lbs in 2 months? Go ahead. Enjoy a life of full of starvation, deprivation, weight loss failures, and best of all yo-yo dieting because you WILL be gaining that weight back!
    • The yo-yo dieters of Facebook and Instagram. I know y'all know the type I'm talking about! They lose and then gain, lose and then gain again. And every single time after they've gained the weight back, they go back on their annual, 2-month-long extremely intense and restrictive #healthylife kick of #gettingfit: where they brag how they're #5lbsdown this week, how they live the #fitlife and #traindirty twice a day with #noexcuses, and how much they love #crossfit and #paleo. They post pictures 5 times a day with their food and diet shakes because they #eatclean and make #healthychoices. And when they finally get to their #goal (which is always only like 10-20 lbs of a loss), they post a million #transformation pictures bragging about their #results....and then they forget everything, go right back to their old ways, and gain ALL the weight back. The next year? Rinse and repeat. *facepalm*
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    People that think counting calories is just a fad diet. The whole "well it may have worked for you but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone". That annoys me a lot.
    But other than that, not much really. I'm glad I don't have to put up with people commenting on what I eat all the time. I don't think my friends or family, or anyone in fact, have ever questioned what I'm eating whether it's a dry salad or a greasy pizza.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That I spent 15 years thinking there was no point, I was just fine when I wasn't

That I found everything so difficult up until this time because I bought into the fads and commercial programmes and they never worked long-term

That I worry that this may just be an extended temporary state and in 10 years I'll look back and think why did I lose that fitness / lower body weight and why am I so fat again and I will convince myself that it's OK to feel like the first point again

That I have a positive body dysmorphia so I find it difficult to see myself as I must look to others. And that social propriety stops anyone, except for my witch of a mother, from saying "actually no, you don't look great" which reinforces what I see in the mirror as being A-OK
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The hypocrites who say "health at any size"-- but only if by "any size" you mean "overweight/obese". As soon as you're underweight, or close to the lower end of the spectrum, you must be unhealthy and dying. Apparently genetics can make you heavier but not thinner -_-
  • Bekk927
    Bekk927 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My main pet peeve is now that I've lost the weight my friends think its ok to make fun of overweight people around us in front of me. Being mean is being mean. Now I have to wonder if once upon a time they were saying the same things about me
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What gets me is 'You don't have to loose weight!" sure I'm not looking to lose 100 kilos but I'd like to be happy with my body and I was happy with it 15 kilos worth of donuts ago!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    About myself is that I lost 60lbs and still can't get my stomach flat even with weight lifting, cardio, and a calorie deficit. I also hate plateaus!!!

People who critique my body...telling me I've lost too much weight or commenting on how skinny I am or how I must not eat ever.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fatter friends trying to 'feed me'. I don't try to control what you eat, so don't try to control what I eat!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Bekk927 wrote: »
    My main pet peeve is now that I've lost the weight my friends think its ok to make fun of overweight people around us in front of me. Being mean is being mean. Now I have to wonder if once upon a time they were saying the same things about me

This!!! I flippin hate that. My sisters do it too... and tbh, I'll point it out if they do it. And I'll get a response like "Well at least you wear baggy clothes to cover everything up" REALLY? Sisters suck, lol.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Bekk927 wrote: »

:\ That sucks. Get better friends?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One that hasn't been mentioned yet (maybe it only bugs me) is the stereotypes of fitness on TV/advertising, ie everyone who exercises is either:

a) a smug mung bean munching bore, or
    b) kitted out in loud colours with sweatbands circa 1986 like Mr Motivator, prancing around like an idiot.

Gym memberships are always expensive (as in "no more expensive gym memberships"), counting (as in calories or points) is always "tedious" and anybody shown eating anything deemed healthy is picking at a salad with a massively p*ssed off expression.

I know the diet industry is out to sell products just the same as any other industry, but the lazy cliches they use just set my teeth on edge!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Asking myself why didn't I start this sooner? I'd be at a healthy weight by now if I'd started 6 months earlier!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all replies, so it may have already been said; but the people who say you have to be extremely restrictive with what you eat. The "i can't lose weight because I don't know what to eat". the "cut everything out of your diet" people. I have lost 34lbs and I have continued to eat what I want and like. No restrictions here.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Overweight/obese People who feel that their insecurities about their bodies are more valid because they think they are somehow less privileged than thin people.

People who say you can't lose weight or maintain without counting calories.

People who say that you must do a specific type of workout or you shouldn't even bother exercising.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The hypocrites who say "health at any size"-- but only if by "any size" you mean "overweight/obese". As soon as you're underweight, or close to the lower end of the spectrum, you must be unhealthy and dying. Apparently genetics can make you heavier but not thinner -_-

^
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    a smug mung bean munching bore

wut
  • IIGuardian
    IIGuardian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    Most of the conversations I've had with extended family over Thanksgiving, oh goodness they were annoying

"Are you sure you can eat that? You are on a diet!"
    I've lost 59 pounds, I think I've figured out how this works, and I still manage to eat delicious things. Weight loss doesn't have to mean sad food, now hand over the damn pie

I imagine that everyone in the building I'm in is wondering where that miserable guffawing is coming from. That was great!

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The diary police who use your food diary to determine if you or they win an argument. It drives me insane if I offer advice to someone, and another person looks at my diary and says something similar to this: "Well you went over your sugar goal three days ago, so your advice is invalid"... when I was using that sugar to make sure I did not die due to hypoglycemia. There's a reason why I keep my diary private.