What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I cant eat enough food. Well how did you get fat then? Also thanks for saying people complain about gaining weight and eating over, that has been me here lately.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    1.) I get tired of the "x-thing is the healthiest thing your can put in your body" one week and then the next week the same "x-thing is toxic to your body." Or from my grandma specifically "Dr. Oz says....."

2.) the "I guess your off your diet?" questioning remarks because I had a piece of pizza for lunch one day.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options

2.) the "I guess your off your diet?" questioning remarks because I had a piece of pizza for lunch one day.

^^^That. Or, "hey , we're going out to eat at the Mexican restaurant today, but ohhhhh, I guess there isn't anything you can eat there."

How many times can I say, I eat whatever I want. Most of the time lately, I WANT things that are healthier and that I can fill up on and stay filled up, but I eat every kind of food I love, because I would be miserable otherwise. I just stay (for the most part) within my calorie goals.

Just because I've lost/am losing weight, please don't assume that I starve myself or only eat carrot slivers. Or that the food I eat is boring or bland. I am an awesome flipping cook and can make things that are filling and delish that are reasonable calorie wise.
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you lose any more weight you will look sick. I am 173 5'5". I now tell them they are not used to seeing healthy weighing people. BAM BTW my goal is 141 so yes I will look sick in their eyes.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    All of the arguing about what is best/worst, true/false, etc on MFP. It seems like we are adults and should just be able to agree to disagree. You can look at health/weight loss with many different points of view.
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mine is people telling me I'm losing too much weight. I do think they get used to seeing you at a specific size and just react. I am also at the bottom of overweight now and almost barely inside the healthy bmi so I really am still overweight. They'll just have to get over it.

Also, when my husband will buy things specifically for me that are my weakness like wine or favorite junk foods. It's a nice thought, but I actually think he fears me getting fit while he is going in the other direction. I can only blame myself if I eat or drink those things, but it can also be a bit awkward to say no. I've done it though.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the pages, but I'm on page 6 and haven't seen a few of my pet peeves yet.

- Women who are all "I celebrate my curves" "Big girls do it better", but then are always dieting and trying to lose weight to get down to some ridiculously low number so they can 'look cute in their clothes'. Pick one.

- Posts that say "REAL women have curves" or "REAL women look like this" (insert picture of size 16 minimum model *must be ridiculously airbrushed*). What makes a large woman any more real than a small woman? What about women who are naturally thinner?

- Large women who use the term "skinny b*tches" to refer to anyone more than 2 dress sizes smaller than them. Or call anyone who is below a size 4 "anorexic". I was bullied a LOT for my being XXXL while growing up, so I know how hard it is - why would I want to put that same hurt on someone else and bully someone else for being XXXS?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    All of the arguing about what is best/worst, true/false, etc on MFP. It seems like we are adults and should just be able to agree to disagree. You can look at health/weight loss with many different points of view.

Also - I know more than you-ism.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    From this site.. the myth that ´ you cannot gain muscle mass if you have a calorie deficit´.. Which is only true for people with low body fat.

400lbs guy, never lifted weights before. Starts lifting weight 2 hours a day and has a 1 calorie deficit. You think that guy isn´t going to be putting on muscle mass? Even if he has a 500 calorie deficit he is going to be building muscle mass for many many weeks.

What bugs me is that people find ´rules´ that are specific to one group of people ( ie, in this case bodybuilders) and try to apply it as a universal rule they can put on a bumper sticker, swear by, and then pass along to everyone they see, without realizing it was a niche rule for a small group of people.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve is when someone says they ate cocoa puffs -- they world shuts down and thinks you must crash and burn because you ate sugar for breakfast.

What ever... I may crash and burn eating too many carrots.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, the deficit you can't build muscle thing.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "Why are you on a diet? You're so skinny!"

Ever think that I'm this size BECAUSE I diet??
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh and people who offer me an apple or piece of apple, then make some comment of "I thought you were trying to lose weight, this is a healthy snack" when I say "no thanks", then when I explain that I'm allergic to many fruits including apples, they go on about how it's "impossible" to be allergic to fruit. I have been tested, and certain fruits put me into full blown anaphylaxis and I have to carry an epi pen with me everywhere because of it. I'm also allergic to nuts, but that is a more widely accepted allergy which people tend not to argue with me about.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue is that people get annoyed when i say i am 5 lbs. from goal weight.. of course i have been saying this for over 20 years lol... i am happily maintaining the 131-135 range.. and clearly i will never get to my goal which is FINE.. i am older... dont need to be thin.. but for god sakes LET me have my fun.... if i dont strive to be 128
    i would never be able to maintain what i have now..
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Oh and people who offer me an apple or piece of apple, then make some comment of "I thought you were trying to lose weight, this is a healthy snack" when I say "no thanks", then when I explain that I'm allergic to many fruits including apples, they go on about how it's "impossible" to be allergic to fruit. I have been tested, and certain fruits put me into full blown anaphylaxis and I have to carry an epi pen with me everywhere because of it. I'm also allergic to nuts, but that is a more widely accepted allergy which people tend not to argue with me about.

If it makes you feel any better, I have even had doctors question whether I am really allergic to cranberries. I haven't been allergy tested, but multiple episodes of my lips, tongue and throat swelling and getting hives is pretty good evidence, I think.

• missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't eat this or that"

I eat what I want, thank you. I'm team everything in moderation.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70 lbs but I still have about 40(+) to go. Comments like this really bother me:
    "Wow, your belly used to really stick out," or "Your *kitten* used to be so big you waddled!" HelLO...I'm still the same person, just smaller! I still have all the feelings! :'(
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    " you'll never lose weight while you keep eating carbs. i gave them up and ive lost 5lb!"

oh my word! why oh why didnt anyone ever tell me this? how did i ever lose over 150lb while i eat those evil carbs?!?
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70 lbs but I still have about 40(+) to go. Comments like this really bother me:
    "Wow, your belly used to really stick out," or "Your *kitten* used to be so big you waddled!" HelLO...I'm still the same person, just smaller! I still have all the feelings! :'(

they're trying to compliment your current state
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    "You must feel so much better about yourself!"

My weight is just a number and a size, not a moral condition. Not punching an idiot in the face makes me feel good about myself. Doing my best to be good to my children makes me feel good about myself. Learning a new skill makes me feel good about myself.

The self discipline not to say, "Yes, I am much less morally deficient now that you like my body better" comes harder than choosing to stick to a specific calorie goal, by far.