WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Saw a really interesting movie today....The Imitation Game.......about Alan Turing, the Englishman behind solving the Enigma Code and helping win WWll. It's gotten great reviews and I agree with them. Was set to stay in and warm when DD called and had a mid-day break and wanted to go to movies so off I went.

Carol or other southeners......I still don't have a clue what livermush actually is.........is it also called scrapple? Sounds like it might be scrapple, which my dad used to eat. Enjoy that first night in your new home and many more.

Sylvia..........YAY you!!!

Viv.......Hope your dog walk got finished before dark! Listen to your DD; bet you did burn some cals!

Diana.........Looks like a lot more men in your family than women!

Vicki......Send a bit of that snow east, please. I think it's so nice that you do the New Years Baby basket; I bet the new parents really are grateful.

Linda............-30?????? OMG!!!! Those temps, you can keep!!! My 40's would probably have you in shorts!

drkatie........LOVE your deer pic! How neat. And congrats on meeting your miles goal!!!

Carol (peachst.)....Nice to see you!!! Will keep your brand in mind. I bought a second hand Dyson off Craigslist last time I needed one and it's been fine so far; have had it about 4yrs. with no problems. The owners just wanted a more upscale model. They had (I swear) every attachment ever made; I'll never even try them all!! I have had several Hoovers, my mom's brand, but my family seems to destroy these rapidly. Had a Dirt Devil which didn't last a year. Currently have a Kirby stored in the garage which cleans OK but I find it too heavy and hard to maneuver; maybe DD will take it off my hands someday. That's one with all kinds of attachments too---even a paint sprayer!!!

Got to go turn on the outside lights and think about that neverending question....."What's for dinner?" Yesterday I used the leftover beef and it's drippings from Christmas dinner in a barley/veg soup and hoped to take some to Gin's DH but it has been demolished.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You have all got me thinking about wills, so I will have to drag DH unwillingly to the lawyer. We really need to do it, with our blended family.

My rolls are out of the oven and smell gorgeous!

DH and I had a "display" row in front of my son at dinner. I did the same in front of his daughter on Monday. Weird. It is like we are jockying for primacy and neither of us will back down. I could tell my son was embarrassed, but I was not going to give in. We only do it when we have had something to drink and we are friends again now. It reminds me of the early days of our marriage. Most of the time all is peace and light so it is interesting that we do it in front of our children. Nothing awful or important, but quite unnecessary. :embarassed: I am sure I have been drinking too much over the holiday and whatever latent frustrations there are between us need to come out in private and not in front of those we love. :ohwell:

Heather, pondering deeply, in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • jdpnotler
    Options
    Hello everyone, this is my first post to this group, looks great, what success with your weight losses! Sounds like everyone "knows" each other. It will take me some time and many posts.

Anyhow, i am from NiagaraOnTheLake Ontario Canada, first snowfall of the month here, nothing staying though.
    I have just signed up for MFP, what a great app. 2015 is the year for me to lose 100 pounds, after much checking i truly believe calorie counting is the way to go.
    Hope to get to know you all over this upcoming year.

Nonnie
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looked it up..........livermush is scrapple.......now I know!!!

PS......Welcome Nonni; we do have a few ladies from your province; hang in there, you'll get to know everybody. I have a cousin in the Perth/Smith Falls area.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Love today’s Wild West town joke! Congratulations on besting the men and lighting your gallery pilot light! :flowerforyou:

Terri in Milwaukie: I love your New Year’s tradition and am telling DH about it right now. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: The photo of deer is lovely! What a great walk. :flowerforyou:

Nonnie from Ontario Canada: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Sending hugs. You and your DH can sort out what, when and how much to drink. I had to eliminate drinking alcohol earlier this year due to its poor effects on my thinking and memory. I’m feeling better as a result and am not regretful for making the change. I hope you’ll be able to reach a happy medium that you will both find comfortable. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Tapping back into the thread here at the end of December so I can find January's posts. If I can't check in each day it is hard to catch up!

Time has gotten away from me again and I need to get back to logging and checking in to get back on track. Many things going on in the background that I've let be my excuse for lazy eating. no exercise and a 'who-cares' attitude, but I've determined to get things under control again. The first stop on that journey is a bit of surgery in January that will keep me down for 4-6 weeks. I'll focus on better eating in the meanwhile and then work exercise back in.

No big announcements family-wise, but we're hoping there will be soon! Spent a wonderful Christmas with DS#1's DGF's family at their home. It was lovely and fun.

I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone again.

Gail, metro ATL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,

Yanniejannie love the story about your friend. What a nice way to honor her.

Dr. Katiebug love the picture of the deer.

Barbie you brought out a very good point without a will or trust your assets only go to blood relatives. I learned when talking with the lawyer who set up our trust that the quarter of my mom's estate that would have gone to my sister who passed away will be divided between her biological children because they are related by blood if she had had step children they would get nothing from my mom's estate unless my mother put that in her trust. It is a case where blood will out unless otherwise specified.

rose.gif MNMargaret
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep a place.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Nonnie. I too, feel that counting calories is the way to go, after trying many others. MFP is the bomb! It makes it so easy to track calories and the support here is wonderful. If you have questions there is always someone here that can help. This group has lots of ladies who have reached their goals and are maintaining. Have a great journey!

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    jdpnotler wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this is my first post to this group, looks great, what success with your weight losses! Sounds like everyone "knows" each other. It will take me some time and many posts.

Anyhow, i am from NiagaraOnTheLake Ontario Canada, first snowfall of the month here, nothing staying though.
    I have just signed up for MFP, what a great app. 2015 is the year for me to lose 100 pounds, after much checking i truly believe calorie counting is the way to go.
    Hope to get to know you all over this upcoming year.

Nonnie

don't know anybody... just posting stuff anyway... welcome!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 15.10min, 11.7amph 3mi -hvy bg & windy!
    spin- 36min, 78ar 115aw, 11-18g, 13.9mimi
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.19min, 10.4amph, 1.4mi -hvy bg & windy!
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.52min 9.6amph 2.7mi, windy!

can you tell it was windy?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've just finished a very informative ten minutes on Google reading up on the differences among scrapple, livermush, and souse meat. I am from the south, have actually participated in slaughtering and cutting up hogs and had never heard of the first two until this thread. I remember my family making souse by boiling the leftover parts, but I would not eat it. I thought it might be the same, but it does not have liver in it.

At any rate, I'm ready for a complete fast after this research. Yuk, yuk, yuk!
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! Had a good workout class this evening. Only 3 other ladies attended but I am determined to improve my fitness level this year so have not missed a class yet since it started in September. I am going to add more activity each day that I don't have class so I can hit my goals and hopefully lose weight a little faster. I do find I tend to go over on my sugar each day but hoping to work on that too in the new year. There are a few things I eat almost daily with high sugar content so need to limit those more. Sugar is my weakness for sure.

Lisa in central Missouri
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Teri, I am amazed at your son's bowling ability. Sick with the flu, fall and get a gutter ball and end up with a 175. When I was on a league I would get that in a 3 game series. Diane, you need some more women in the family! But I like the Colt's fan!!! Pat, that little boy is adorable. Where did he get the red hair from? Katla, be safe on your trip home, when it finally happens.

Changes here today is that we did have a plumber come out today. We also had one who could come out tomorrow but we knew we had to get the first one. She said they were scheduling for next week but then she saw our tree with gifts under it and stockings hung on our fireplace and I guess her heart softened. So they will come out Friday and said it will take 5 hours if all goes well, that includes the weather which is supposed to rain. They will first have to take out our fence, dig up the yard and put in a new check valve and then something called a knife something, replace pipes, our big old tree which the roots growing above ground now may be the culprit. I hope that won't prevent it from getting done. But if it done then Christmas will be at our house on Saturday. If not, both my and my sister's churches have offered their kitchens and fellowship halls for free. My church has an elevator down to the fellowship level. So at least we are covered. But....the plumber said that it won't be long before we will not be able to use our commodes. Right now, the bath, shower and washing machine are out and use of sinks to minimum and will soon lose the commodes and sinks altogether! That leaves hotel living. It's only money you know. And insurance says no to coverage because it comes from the sewer in and not from our house out.

Finally finished making my 'ornaments' for my two daughters. For the new ones here, I have taken some of my Mom's old jewelry, taken it all apart and then taken the clear glass ornaments and glued them on in some what of a pattern. In the areas where the are no pieces of jewelry I have beads I bought from a craft store. last year when my sister did it she used some of my Mom's fake pearls. We thought she had used all her jewelry but I found a whole new box this year. It's funny how many things we find of our parents. You think you have it all and then more pops up, just when you need it. One of my daughters has a very small flimsy tree and the other one does not put one up so I bought real pretty napkin ring. Neither girl likes crafty things but they loved, adored, idolized their Grandma. So I hope they love them. I know I love the one my sister made me last year.

Joyce, Indiana
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wahoo! I hit 10,000 steps for the first time today!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Did 7 minutes of "Fit in a Flash" DVD. There are about 7 different workouts, each 7 minutes long. It appears that you can do 1, 2, or however many your schedule allows. I do like this flexibility

The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT (gotta burn off some of this weight!)

katla - so sorry you lost your jacket, but at least you and Rori met up! At least you're safe, even tho plans for leaving have taken a turn

Was talking to Vince earlier and he doesn't want to start taking the decorations down before New Years. So looks like they'll be up a little bit longer. But you can be sure that I'll be bugging him to get (at least) the inflatables down asap since they'll need to dry out in the garage.

After exercise, came home and took Denise's package to the post office, Vince went to the bank (the ATM), then took leftovers to the soup kitchen -- things I didn't want in the house. Then bowling, mahjongg tonight here at my house.

patcoh - what a cutie!

Jan - I can see why that ornament is so very special to you.

Viv - when there's even the MENTION of snow around here, you won't believe how things shut down!

pipcd - I usually pack the night before, too, for the gym. On a few occasions I've forgotten to take a bra or underwear, so I just go without until I get home.

terri - good to know that we're not the only ones who kiss, give the girls a New Years call, then go to bed! What a good mother you are making food for ds

drkatiebug - what a lovely pic. I love to see deer, they look so majestic

Carol - how exciting!

Sylvia - good for you lighting that pilot light. You're awesome. Hope your hubby is better soon. Sorry about your "meatloaf mess". I had something spill in my oven, I think it was from the apple pie I made, even tho I put the pie on a cookie sheet

Cyndie - welcome back

Jan - I'm not a native southerner and really don't know exactly what livermush is.

Nonnie - welcome! I've been a member here for years and I STILL don't know everyone.

Michele in NC
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Going on three been up for awhile this is stupid. On my third night of crazy sleep. This has to stop. Going to take a Tylenol sleep and pain pill. See if that helps. Or I'm soon going to be wondering around like a zombie.
    Guess I'm starting my third day supper early sitting here drinking water. LOL
    See you guys lighter.
    Linda in -27 weather was -29 when I got up shortly after 2. But what do we expect here in the great white northern Ontario.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Trying to get into some sort of routine again so thought I'd start by checking in.

I'm back at work on Friday and I'm not looking forward to it. I enjoy my job it's all the office politics that go with it that get me down.

I'm seriously thinking of cutting my hours down to 3 days a week. I just need to work out finances to see if I can do it. There's so much to think about, but everyone has told me not to make any major decisions within the first year of a bereavement (like downsizing the house). I think that working 3 days a week would be a better work life balance though.

Michele your post reminds me that I also need to start back on the exercise DVDs. You are always so busy where do you get your energy from - I wish you could bottle it and send some over to me.

Heather in Hampshire, you will have to join the challenge that I spotted recently - something about giving up alcohol in January. Something a bit like Stoptober where you give up smoking in October. I'd join you but we have a few more bottles of wine to get through :)

This year we will be having a very quiet New Year's Eve, it will be sad to start off the new year without my darling hubby. Can't think of it too much without getting sad and scared :'(

Well I'd better get started on the exercise, the way the time is going there is no way I am going to make it on time for work on Friday. Today is Tuesday so I have a few more days to "practice" getting ready. I will need to set off a bit earlier than usual too as the paths are a bit icy!

Take care everyone <3

Viv Icy Cold UK
  • jdpnotler
    Options
    Viv, sorry to hear about your loss. New Years Eve can be hard, personally we do not make a big deal of it anymore. My New Year started December 26, 2014.
    I retired 1 year ago, from a job i had for 30 years, it was hard, retirement is great but quite the adjustment. Alot of free time to think too much, i am now involved and busy but at first it was in a way lonley. Perhaps being at work full time is best for you right now.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bumping back in to mark my spot..
    Gail, metro ATL