WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical today (sprint 200+ steps/min, recovery 130 steps/min). the plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Kaehlers Basic DVD, one of the new ones I got for Christmas so I'll see how it is.

Vince was saying to me today "even the kids are saying "what's with all these DVD's?" He was thinking that I only did them once and then wanted something new. Not true, I have a rotation and they get done multiple times. Only I get bored with doing the same ones over and over, I need a change. I also "mentioned" that Total Fitness has some DVD's on sale until the 4th

After exercise went to Food Lion and exchanged some pudding I had for Jello instead since that's one of the things I can eat before the colonoscopy. Then stopped at the Salvation Army and found a shirt, not sure that I really needed it. Came home then Vince and I went to the place where I am doing the ceramic ladybug, I assumed that they were open but that's not the case. Then went to Target to get more litter for the cats, then I went to the jewelry place where I bought my watch. The clasp has been coming undone so they tightened it up for me. While I was waiting, I went to Sally's to get stuff for my hair (hey, $6 is a whole lot better than $50 to get my hair colored. This stuff lets me extend the times between colorings). Then to kill more time I went to Ross, needed bras but they didn't have any that I liked but did buy another blouse (not that I needed it). Now home

The Y isn't having a water class tomorrow so I'll go on Friday

Viv - speaking of wine, I know this sounds terrible, but Kris gave me a bottle of wine. I know he meant well, but I'm not a wine drinker. I'm pretty sure WalMart sells it so I'll return it to them. Hun, I send you big, big hugs. You'll get through this new year, you're one strong lady

Heather - we don't have "crumpets" per se, but I make all my biscuits from scratch. There's just something about homemade that popping a can open will never compare to. Boy, are you keeping ever busy!

Terri - when I have what I think to be a hot flash (it's more of like a mini-hot-flash for me and I attribute this to exercise), I find that having some frozen grapes helps immensely. When we go to the bowling alley, I always find it interesting to see how many people there are overweight and have a beer gut.

Alison - safe travels

Jan - good for you throwing out that candy!

Janet - if you log what you ate on paper, would that help? Sometimes it helps to see if the list of things you've eaten is getting long. Why not go shopping at the local thrift shop? I get some good bargains there, name brand sweaters, etc. for only a few dollars

Sylvia - wow! Only 33 more to goal. That's fantastic!!! One of the (few) things that I like about this change is the fact that "bump" is no longer needed. What is the NuStep?

peachstategal - I didn't realize how unsecure a debit card was until someone from the Sheriff's Dept. talked to the Newcomers. That's when I got a separate debit card to use at Aldi's. We only keep about $200 on it, so if someone gets that card, that's all that we've lost. Prior to that I'd been using my ATM card which is also a debit card. If someone had gotten hold of that, they'd have access to my entire checking account, of which I wouldn't be too happy. What a horrible thing to have happen to you!

Speaking of people who haven't been here in a while, what about Patty (I think that's her name -- she got her personal training certification and worked at the Y and started teaching classes another place, too)

Lesley - Brian seems to be doing wonders for you. So happy for you

Rori - I, too, wondered why Brian told Lesley not to do cardio in the morning. I'd always heard that the best time to do any exercise is the time that works best for you. I know that if I don't exercise first thing in the morning, it won't get done. I, too, love cooking; but I like the added challenge of making something that tastes good and is healthy. Sometimes that isn't a problem, other times it is. I can't think of any fish that I don't like. When we were in Spain I had calamari but it wasn't fried. That I liked. I just don't like -- or I should say that my stomach doesn't like -- things that are deep fried.

jane - I'm so sorry for your friend. You both will grow old together, just not in the same place. She'll always be with you.

Michele in NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick read before bed.

janemartin........I am sorry your friend is suffering so much and you are in such great emotional pain yourself. Major big long (((hugs))) and pats on the back to you. I hope they are able to make her comfortable in a more clinical setting; they will definitely be able to monitor her more closely with the increased/stronger pain meds. I know it's difficult and maddening and frustrating in the extreme to have an end of life care plan changed at the very end and so drastically and I'm so sorry this has happened.

yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gail in Atlanta: I’m happy you’re posting again. Good luck with your surgery. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Years ago, I read the Foxfire books that were written by highschool kids about the elders in their community. I know about souse and scrapple, but livermush is new to me. In times past, nothing was wasted. Livermush certainly doesn’t sound appealing, but I’ve never seen a recipe or tried it so what do I know? Nada. Be sure you let us know what you think of it if you go crazy and try it. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: It seems like we have to be flexible with our Christmas celebrations as we go though life. I was with DD & grandbabies but DH was several hundred miles away with his sister. This is the first Christmas we’ve been apart since 1970. We survived and it is good to be home. Good luck with your plumbing. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I agree that I have many things to be happy about, and meeting Rori in person is right up there at the top. :bigsmile: She is every bit as wonderful as I imagined. Losing the jacket was really my own fault and I’m not happy with me about it. :grumble:

Viv: I’m happy that you’re back. You seem to have a good attitude about finding your way through this first year after your loss. :heart:

Heather: Your enthusiasm for entertaining is so refreshing. I enjoy hearing about every new adventure. I’m happy you ended up having a good time with your son. :flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m sorry that you’re sad to return to CT, but I think you’re lucky to have such a great place in FL. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I love the quotation: "The new year will be like the old one if you keep on doing the same old things." Jean-Paul Malfatti Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Pipcd: Congratulations on 10,000 steps! :flowerforyou:

Janet in Myrtle Beach: “Bump” is a way for you to find where you left off reading on days when you don’t have time to post. :flowerforyou:

Two more days to plan the New Years resolutions BUT I plan to get mine done early because I’ve been horrible at following through with New Year's Day resolutions all of my life. You’ll see mine before 2015. I predict that nobody will be surprised at what they are. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• winterskykim
    winterskykim Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    are you doing one for january? Im in!! its kinda late for me for december.. tomorrow last day.. but i can commit to exercise tomorrow and logging my food and plenty of hydration.. lo cal.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Winterskykin, I assume you are asking if Barbie will start a new month for December. Yes she will and the link will be at the end of this one. When you click on it make sure you click on the little thing, can't remember the shape at the top right corner of the thread, not the screen, to bookmark it.

Janet, so sorry about your friend with cancer. I was an RN on an oncology unit once also. I sure wish I knew the knowledge I gained from having my Mom in an inpatient hospice. They were truly angels here on earth. Having Mom in pain and dying was really hard on us but they brought a ray of sunshine in every day and became our friends and let us all have dignity, not just Mom.

It's beginning to smell pretty rank in here. We welcome going to the store or to eat just so we can use the restroom. When we go we immediately go to the bathroom, shop and browse and go to the bathroom again. When the plumber told us yesterday that it wouldn't be long before we lost the use of our commodes Charlie didn't believe her. Now he does. I am glad it is just him and I here and we both worked in the hospital and him as a medic. Bodily functions don't gross us out. I did something today I usually avoid. We have 3 families that come from out of town for Christmas. One of them is our daughter and we know we pay for all of her expenses. But the other two families both have to have two hotel rooms. So we really don't ask them to provide anything for the meal. Well we went to Walmart today and I thought I had everything on my list but I forgot the green beans. And our family uses 4 of the big cans. Plus when we had sewage come up Michelle threw away all of my things I have stored up on a shelf for our meals, like big strong disposable plates, pretty napkins and disposable flatware. We got more flatware at the store but we didn't like Walmarts selecton of napkins in fact was surprised there was nothing special. So I just put a facebook message to those three families to decide who will bring what of those three items and let me know. So maybe I am letting go of my sense of control and thinking I need to take care of everything. I have it at my house therefor I should provide all the extras. We all contribute in some way to the food.And they were delighted to help.

My nephew called today. We have always been close and can be very frank with each other. So I know when he asks a question that he really wants an honest answer not a polite one. He said he thought everyone was taking advantage of me in that we have Thanksgiving and Christmas here every single year. Well there is no way around it. I told him that it is my gift of service and yes, I am tired at the end of the day. Really tired. But I have a smile on my face and that is what counts. Not a fake smile but contentment. I always think of how my Mom would handle it and I want to make her proud. Now I know that eventually against her better wishes she had to give into her disabilities and use a mobility scooter and move out of her house. I will use that as a guideline but so far I want to do this and I can with the help of the younger generation. And they are coming through. As long as all of them don't expect a sparkling clean house, just a house to have fun and be enveloped with love.

Alison, you coming home! When your FIL dies will you finally retire down there? katla, safe travel. Lesley, you need to have Brian set up shop here! He sure could get some business.

Joyce, Indiana
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Michele
    Your body is so used to no fat. It won't take it now. I usually have problems with fat after eating healthy for awhile.

Joyce
    I never would let my guests bring anything. Always took care of it all myself. Last year I was to sick to do my New Years Celebration and didn't so my bachelor brother stepped in and did it. I never laughed so much in my life he had a one pot meal. Here is how it went. Beans in the bottom the kind with tomatoes on that he had a turkey all in parts. Then he added potatoes and carrots. It was so good. His turkey was moist from the tomatoes the beans were very tasty. See he watches his money that's why he has a little stashed away.

Well I'm having my New Years Celebration tomorrow. And I told them I needed help I'm making spaghetti Italian sauce and Alfredo. One brother is bringing home made buns. A niece is bringing a Caesar salad and desserts will be the cookies and chocolate I have left from Christmas. That is the plan and I promised my hubby that I would stick to it. He gets so mad when I work like a fool all day. So I will cut my veggies today the house is presentable. So all is well in the home front.

I will be back later with the wii results I'm sitting here at 5 am with water. Nothing much to report as of yet.
    I imagine I shared my tops weight loss with you all last night.

See you all lighter
    Linda in -28 in Northern Ontario.
    They used to call a freeze at -40 now yesterday they did it for -30. Oh well time is changing.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. For the second night in a row I slept badly. Fitbit said I slept 3 hours, but I think that sounds high. I just laid there, wide awake. In spite of taking all my pills that normally knock me out. Too much on my mind, I guess. At 4am I finally gave up trying to sleep.

Yesterday hubby came to the studio and installed my new thermostat. The package said it would take 15 minutes or less but it took about an hour. Hubby likes to overthink things. It's hard not to get impatient and just do it myself. But now it's done. And I programmed it to heat up 15 minutes before I get there in the morning. Hope it works.

Today is our anniversary, so tonight we go out to eat at the local steak house. That's our tradition, if we aren't gone on a trip somewhere. In past years I always got steak tips, french fries and onion rings (all are huge portions), but this year it will be dry salad with grilled chicken. Still a huge portion, but I will be bringing half home. We don't do gifts or cards, just dinner, so that's nice and low-stress for both of us.

Katla, it sounds like you got home safely. Glad you had such a great trip!

Michele, NuStep is an exercise machine for cardio. You sit, like on a recumbent bike, and push the pedals, but not in a circle like a bike, just up and down, and you hold grips with your hands and move your arms too. It's a pretty good workout, and low impact. Especially good for those of us who started out with a LOT to lose, and/or heart trouble. It helped me a lot. Here's a link with a photo.
    http://www.nustep.com/our-products/t4r/

Well, I'm not thinking straight, so I'll sign off now. Have a great day!

Sylvia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Sending my love to Joyce, Linda and all those who have a lot of entertaining to do. :flowerforyou:

Katla - I do love entertaining, but I do find it a little stressful. Some things help me.
    - 1. Have everything prepared in the freezer. Cuts the stress a lot.
    - 2. I have a cleaner who is coming in this afternoon. She cleans areas which I rarely get to and I can just do the bits that are staring me in the face. She also changes guest bedding. :happy:
    - 3. I have a house which is well suited to guests. There is a guest annexe which has its own bathroom and a TV and DVD player. Guests can get away from us, like my son, and we can't hear them at all. Also, if we have extra guests, as we will this time, they can use DH'S study which has a sofa bed and its own lavatory and washbasin. This means we aren't disturbed in the night. If people have to sleep in my study and use the bathroom next to us I find I don't sleep well.

It is still a lot of work though, but I find, now I am not working, like Joyce, I find it is a way I can give service and make people happy. One of the ways I can give service is to make it look effortless! ! ! ! :laugh:

Barb - I am lucky in that I have just got into the habit of making stuff and putting it straight in the freezer. I don't even think about it. I think of my cooking, as I said earlier, as a service I can give to others. :happy: It also is my preferred activity when I have "free" time. I don't like having to cook at the last minute -hence my nightmare meal is Christmas dinner.
    The crumpets yesterday took me ages. They are a thick yeast batter, cooked in metal rings. But I enjoyed it for the very reason that I have never met anyone who makes them! ! I made 14, in batches of 4, all in the freezer now until Friday.

Rori - I think one of the secrets of maintaining is to cook and eat unprocessed food. Lots of veggies. Your food sounds delightful. :love: Tonight we are having guinea fowl with red cabbage and peas. DH some potatoes fried in duck fat. I am opening, as a special treat, a bottle of Vin Jaune, a wine from the Jura in France, which is partly oxidised. Imagine a dry sherry. It is one of my favourite things in all the world. :bigsmile: We will go to bed after watching the London fireworks on TV at midnight.

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Sylvia
    Happy Anniversary and enjoy your meal out. Eat your steak it's not one good meal that will hurt you. It's not getting back with it after it's over that hurts.

Heather
    I used to be like you a lot of entertainment and loved it my motto the more the merrier. But I find as I get older it's getting harder. So this year I asked for help.

thought I'd come and respond before going out to coffee.
    See you all lighter.
    Linda in the great White North
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Caught up again and am off to work. Hope everyone has their favorite celebration, whatever that is!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just skidding in to wish everyone a good New Year's Eve, to hug Jane Martin, and to say that, if I'm correct, crumpets are "English muffins".

Cheers!
    Cynthia
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Good morning, all! Happy New Years Eve! Upper 20's when I fed the birds; gave them some extra peanuts, suet, and threw in some cherries for the holiday......have been busy chasing away the blasted squirrels ever since.

Dinner tonight will be chicken breasts done in the oven with a Dijon mustard glaze, mashed potatoes, and peas. Tomorrow will be pork and sauerkraut, of course. We'll also have black eyed peas for an extra dose of tradition (and also because my DH loves them).

Katla.......Sounds like you got home safely.

Gail.........I keep forgetting to say welcome back to you.....so, there it is. Best of luck for a smooth surgical experience and rapid recovery.

Michele........I loved what you said to jane about how she would grow old with her friend.

Linda........I think your brother's meal was probably a big hit and provided much conversation.

Sylvia........I vote that you enjoy some steak too! And..........Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Heather.........You truly the most amazing hostess!

When we shared the New Year traditions, I noticed that no one else mentioned the bayberry candle, so I looked it up.........seems to be a New England thing dating back to colonial times, also some sites mention an Irish component to the tradition. "A bayberry candle burned to the socket brings Luck to the household, Food to the larder, and Money to the pocket."
    In Irish tradition, the candle needs to burn from one day into the next, so as to bring the good luck forward.

I wish you all a super successful year; whatever that may personally mean to each of you. We each have a new book with 365 pages to fill..........go for it!!!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.......off to find a bayberry candle.......

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Morning,

Barb I wish I had read your post before I had two of my chocolate chip cookies from my tea party. When I make chocolate chip cookies I make them with butter and coconut oil. I also use half flour and half rolled oats. I was able to stop at two.

I had my first tea party yesterday. There were five of us total. It was a nice number. Everyone felt included.The Holiday Hunt went over well. I had them look for certain holiday objects. It was my take on the white elephant and games people play at showers. It was non-competitive and everyone got a prize of their choice. They asked if I would ever think about making wings for the papermache (not sure how to spell it) angel I made in 5th grade to replace those that were lost. I am thinking about it. I had the most fun watching them discover the flamingo lights on our tree.

I am planning to have a second party Jan. 2nd.

For New Year's Eve I might dig out the tape I made in 2000 of the world celebrating this event. It was amazing how this event brought most of the world together in celebration. There were hot spots then too but not as many as there are today.

Tomorrow we go to a friend's white elephant party we have gone to for years.

I used the word contentment as my touchstone for 2014. During my trials in 2014 it helped draw me back what creates contentment.

For 2015 I am considering the words calm, release, nurture. I have to try them for awhile to see which one fits for 2015.

Goals for 2015:

Planning so I am on time and not feeling rushed as I attend work and activities
    Eating as nutritiously with portion control in mind
    Keep my body moving and exercising daily
    Consistent sleep patterns and overall sleep rating of 4/5 for a week
    Laugh everyday

A phrase to help me in 2015. "Just because I see the hook does not mean I need to bite."

May all of you have a spectacular and healthy NEW YEAR!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    smiley-bounce016.gif
    rose.gifMNMargaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Happy New Year!

*Yanniejannie, I like the "new book with 365 pages to fill" It's nice to have a fresh start with a clean slate. I do believe that what we did yesterday is not nearly as important as what we will do tomorrow.

*Thanks all for answers to my "bump" question. Glad they changed it so we go back to where we left off.

*Michele in NC, thanks for the suggestions for my cruise. I do take a small notebook with me and will at least list what I eat. My biggest calorie blunder will probably be what I drink. LOL

*JaneMartin, I'm so sorry for your friend. It's ashamed Hospice couldn't take care of everything at home, but hopefully she will be in less pain this way. Hang in there.

*Barb, I hope you get relief from your injection. I know from experience how debilitating back pain can be.

*Meg, do a few dances for me. I do think it is one of the best exercises. Even doing Zumba, I find many of the moves are not good for my back. Especially the one's to help around the waist....which I could really use!

*Sylvia, be sure to let us know how the new thermostat works. It will be nice to go into a nice warm studio when you arrive.

*I had never heard about not doing Cardio first thing in the morning. I have to do my exercising in the morning or it won't get done, but I'll admit, it's not first thing. I have to wake up, have my coffee and small breakfast and then do it a little later. Seems my new routine is taking up most of the morning.

Have a safe evening, everyone. I'll be home watching the festivities on TV and may or may not make it to midnight. I am looking forward to the new year and being back here with this wonderful group of ladies.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC where it will be around 30 tonight. burrrrrrr
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just wanted to step back in and add my loving thoughts to all those for Jane. May your friend have peace and you can be sure she knows she is loved. <3

Cynthia - crumpets are not English muffins. I like those too and do do the grandchildren. They are soft and you tear them apart to toast them. Crumpets are very solid, rubbery things with bumps and holes on one side and smooth on the other. You have to toast them. People used to do it over an open fire and students used to toast them over their two bar electric fire! ! ! ! ! DH remembers doing that. One of the reasons we bought a new wide slot toaster was because the crumpets wouldn't fit in. When I get them out of the freezer I will take a photo. :bigsmile:

Done all my prep now. Exhausted! DH had to rush out, despite his heavy cold, to buy a pineapple for Friday. Also a present for his niece as we didn't realise she was coming until we saw it on Facebook!

I am keeping my same motto for 2015 - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: <3 (*)

I resolve to get back to typing out my old novel. I resolve to get back to my memoir.
    Otherwise I will keep on keeping on. :laugh:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just weighed myself and stuck at the same weight for the last few weeks. I know I ate more than I should have so guess just maintaining. I set a goal to exercise every day and I am trying to weigh and track food more carefully. I do know I feel stronger when I exercise now so maybe I am gaining some much needed muscle.

Not doing anything for New Years Eve. Probably will be in bed early as usual.

Lisa in NE MO
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Heather: I may stand corrected! Though apparently not everyone's sure about the difference: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-crumpets-113577.
    Anyway, they're both delicious!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    "He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less." John 3:30 (NLT)

Truth for me spiritually and physically. My 2015 words to live by.
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    LOL! Read the comments section on the above article if you want to be REALLY confused.....they even bring in something called "pikelets" and scones which Heather has already explained.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Yannie Jannie
    If we try and follow all the traditions we will be going for days.
    I don't know if spaghetti is a tradition or not but a few years ago when I decided Chinese food was to much. I made it and it went over good. So in my house tomorrow is spaghetti for diner. But then I also make a brunch for sons and only one has family so brunch for 8 that's easy.

Margaret
    like your years resolutions. And your choice of words.
    Love the quote and it's so true. I'm sure fish see the hook but they don't always bit. LOL.

Heather
    Sounds like your crumpets are like what we call bannick.

Well I weighed on the wii and it gave me a loss but I went to fast and missed how much oh well but I know it was at least .5 or more. 3 weigh in's 3 loses.

So far great day. But I have to spread my food a little better than yesterday. I ended up with way to many calories left over.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario. -14