Not so healthy foods

Options

Replies

• Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    ItsMe0909 wrote: »
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

So he shouldn't have anything because his wife goes on a diet?

OP fit them into your day, I had a donut today, I'll log it, and make it work for the day. For those demonizing food, food is just food stop making it more than it is. Don't waste it!

^^ Ditto this. You cant expect your spouse to not buy foods he loves. My bf brought home Burger King last night, I said no when he offered. Although I wanted some, I demonstrated some self-control. I would never tell him what he can and cant buy. This is supposed to be a life-long thing, I cant expect him to stop bringing things home he loves, I need to learn to eat things in moderation and fit it into my day.

No food is evil!!!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I made bread pudding with plain donuts once. It was amazing. You could bake it, then freeze it in portions so you can't stuff yourself silly in one night.
    I think I might need that recipe. . . for science.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I made bread pudding with plain donuts once. It was amazing. You could bake it, then freeze it in portions so you can't stuff yourself silly in one night.

Who am I to stand in the way of scientific exploration.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/doughnut-bread-pudding/
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Thanks! Think I'm gonna have to make this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yum! Will definitely keep an eye on those discounted glazed donuts at the grocery store...
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom the idea of how a lifeless piece of dough has so much power over a person's hand and mouth. The piece of non living dough isn't grabbing your hand, isn't opening your mouth, and isn't shoving itself into your mouth. You have the power to eat it or not. You don't want one? Then don't eat it. You want one, but you're scared it'll ruin your daily calories? Then don't eat it. Let your husband enjoy them. I'm pretty sure he's not scarfing them down right in front of your face growling "YUM!!" so you can "suffer". I don't think you couldn't possibly have absolutely no power over your brain to say "NO", or to even learn how to have one and say that's it. It's a living human being with a brain against lifeless food. Shouldn't logic dictate you can win? FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

*drool* It's a great day for science.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Lard, sugar and white flour are empty nutrition

LOL what…

sugar gives you energy, how is that empty…?

and the other two that you listed are broken down and used by your body for energy
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just can't fathom the idea of how a lifeless piece of dough has so much power over a person's hand and mouth. The piece of non living dough isn't grabbing your hand, isn't opening your mouth, and isn't shoving itself into your mouth. You have the power to eat it or not. You don't want one? Then don't eat it. You want one, but you're scared it'll ruin your daily calories? Then don't eat it. Let your husband enjoy them. I'm pretty sure he's not scarfing them down right in front of your face growling "YUM!!" so you can "suffer". I don't think you couldn't possibly have absolutely no power over your brain to say "NO", or to even learn how to have one and say that's it. It's a living human being with a brain against lifeless food. Shouldn't logic dictate you can win? FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

People come to food with all kinds of baggage. It's great that you don't have food issues, but you can't apply your experience to everyone. It's simply not realistic.

I, for instance, stopped eating dessert foods 10 years ago. My husband loves dessert food and brings it home all the time. For the most part, I don't think twice about it -- it's not my food, it's not my business. It might as well be brussel sprouts.

But two months ago, he brought home Samoa Girl Scout cookies. When I saw those cookies, I experienced an incredible urge to eat the entire package. It hit me so strongly and with such force that my husband asked me what the matter was.

I asked him if he would mind putting the cookies in his satchel and taking them to the office and eating them there.

10 years without dessert foods, with no cravings, couldn't care less about cake, pie, ice cream, other people eating dessert in front of me, and still I was overcome with such a powerful urge I had to ask him to take the cookies out of the house.

Where did that urge come from? It certainly didn't come from my conscious mind, which is the only mind I have any control over.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I did not read through all replies..

OP - why can't you just fit the donuts into your particular day? As long as you hit your calorie/micor/macro goals for the day, then you will be fine. Overall diet, context, and dosage is what matters…not individual food type/choice…
    -
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    jessij215 wrote: »
    When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric days?

If bury them in the yard

In hopes of what? Sprouting a little donut tree? That's where those mini donuts come from, right? :smile:

All things set aside, if there's a food you know you have trouble with, I would try to learn to eat it in moderation. Doing things to rid yourself of them (ie burying them, spraying them with perfume, putting sharpie on them) is kind of disordered. That "okay it's gone forever, can't eat that because it's physically inedible" is a mentality that can lead to failure, imo.

Someone mentioned donuts not being too good in the days following the purchase, so maybe you and your SO could consider this next time and just buy enough donuts to have one or two. Others have also mentioned bringing them to work or to a neighbor, which is a good idea.

No foods are bad, just bear that in mind. Moderation is a good skill, and I know personally, it took me a long time to master that. I still slip up, but that's life.

in…for donut trees..!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ItsMe0909 wrote: »
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

So he shouldn't have anything because his wife goes on a diet?

OP fit them into your day, I had a donut today, I'll log it, and make it work for the day. For those demonizing food, food is just food stop making it more than it is. Don't waste it!

Well, he doesn't have to bring home 6 donuts either (just a random number). I mean, if I want a donut and I know my husband is trying to lose weight, I'll just buy one (or two).

Just IMO...

so two is OK but six is sabotage?????
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have 1 and adjust the rest of your day so it fits.
  • ndj1979
    Options

People come to food with all kinds of baggage. It's great that you don't have food issues, but you can't apply your experience to everyone. It's simply not realistic.

I, for instance, stopped eating dessert foods 10 years ago. My husband loves dessert food and brings it home all the time. For the most part, I don't think twice about it -- it's not my food, it's not my business. It might as well be brussel sprouts.

But two months ago, he brought home Samoa Girl Scout cookies. When I saw those cookies, I experienced an incredible urge to eat the entire package. It hit me so strongly and with such force that my husband asked me what the matter was.

I asked him if he would mind putting the cookies in his satchel and taking them to the office and eating them there.

10 years without dessert foods, with no cravings, couldn't care less about cake, pie, ice cream, other people eating dessert in front of me, and still I was overcome with such a powerful urge I had to ask him to take the cookies out of the house.

Where did that urge come from? It certainly didn't come from my conscious mind, which is the only mind I have any control over.

sounds like a miserable ten years….
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Do you think when you are thin you won't ever eat "bad foods" again? Better to learn self control now. Also a single donut is not a days worth of calories, no matter how few your working with.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

That's why it's best not to avoid completely what you love so you don't have those binge feelings once you're in the presence of those foods. But you know what? Good for you for not having any dessert food for so long. Why? Cuz you let your brain win and not the lifeless food. You chose, you didn't let the food choose for you. Point proven.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I used to freak out about baked goods. Now I freeze them in individual portions.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm new-ish here, so flame away if you feel so inclined, but I really have a hard time comprehending the argument that it's okay to eat a donut over another food item that has the same number of calories (some appetite-curbing tuna salad, say) simply because they have the same amount of calories.

If you're simply trying to lose pounds without paying mind to any other issues, sure, this argument holds up. However, if you're trying to stave off or get rid of diabetes, improve cholesterol, improve heart health, avoid a sugar crash, or just generally improve your body's overall function, please explain to me how having a 250-calorie donut versus having a 250-calorie portion of tuna salad will accomplish the same *health* goals.

I'm not saying you can't have a donut, but don't kid yourself that all foods are good for you as long as they fit in your calorie range.

ETA: missing words

because the overall diet is what matters. If you have two donuts, hit your calorie/micro/macro goal then who cares? overall diet and dosage is what matters…not individual food choice….

and all calories are units of energy so 250 cals of a donut = 250 calls of tuna salad ..one is just more calorie dense than the other…and one is probably more nutrient dense…so why can't you combine both into your day and hit all your goals???
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Since you 'hate' to throw them away, do it away...Next time you probably won't buy them because you threw away your money on the ones you threw out! It's not really 'food' any way...it does NOTHING for you - why consume it, there's plenty of other 'good for you' foods that taste devine that you should have in it's place:)

You'll have to let us all know what you ended up doing??