Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• khandi000
    Options
    I haven't worked out like I should since before Christmas!
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    32daisies wrote: »
    Talkradio wrote: »
    Another: if I I see someone consistently logging "1 serving of chicken (3 oz)", I give it the side-eye. Did you *really* only eat 3 ounces of chicken, or did you just eat a chicken breast (which can be anywhere from 9 to 12 ounces) and call it one serving?

(of course, if you're doing that and losing anyhow, eh, have at it, I guess.)

I use the MFP recipe builder all the time. I weigh out what I am cooking, make it into a recipe and then divide it by the number of people who are going to eat it (two helpings calculated for each of my teenage boys). I even go in and adjust a recipe each time I make it so that the ingredients match up. For instance, I am making Peppercorn Lime Steelhead Trout for dinner. I had to adjust the weight of the fish because I bought more this time than I did last time. That part of my diary is pretty accurate. I may forget to log a glass of wine though...or a salted caramel...or two.

I do this too! I'll have a written or printed copy of my recipe next to me, and as I prep I will weigh my ingredients and jot down exactly what I'm putting in. No guesstimating. I actually enjoy it a lot. Not sure what that says about me :)

I love the idea of the MFP recipe builder, but when I tried it in the past it seemed very buggy, and I had a hard time getting it to match ingredients. Has it improved recently?

Eh, it is a nightmare to use on a mobile device and only marginally better on the computer. It is hit or miss, which is part of why I'm so particular. It once grabbed a b/s chicken breast value that said it was 2000 calories for a lb. Yeah.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I never look at people's food diaries. I could care less what people eat. If it works for you, then have at it. I'd never judge someone for eating 12 donuts or 6 pies or whatever. I can drink a gallon of wine or a case of beer like nobody's business so no judging from me. :smile:

I once had a MFP friend who commented every single day with suggestions on better food choices. I hated that. I had to delete her. I don't mind it once in a while if I'm eating 6 pies every single day or something, but c'mon! I was paying a dietitian at the time, I didn't need the extra "help".

I never use a food scale. I always just guesstimate. I do own a food scale and have used it on occasion, just not regularly. I'm still consistently losing, so I'm not worried about it yet.

Quite frankly I find it sofa king tedious to track every single bite. My diary is not accurate by any stretch of the imagination. I would hate having someone making all sorts of suggestions unless of course I ask. I don't do well with unsolicited opinions or advice. Let me ask before chiming in with judgemental suggestions.

Not sure if this was a typo or intentional, but I love it! Took me a minute to figure it out. Then I read it out loud. Ah....

not a typo :wink:
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you're a 3-oz chicken eater and you weigh your chicken out... then good for you. :) Moving on.

Seriously, though, one of the things we talk about on MFP the most is undercalculating portions and overestimating calories burned. Lots of people starting out -- who haven't bought a scale yet, etc. -- make this mistake.

To be totally overdramatic, I wanted to cry when I saw what 2 tablespoons of sour cream actually looks like. My guess would put me closer to 4 or so. Not that there's anything wrong with eating 4 tablespoons of sour cream if you can fit it in, but I'm a shortie and I need to save my calories for important things (like after dinner chocolate). I've been cooking since I could reach the counter, and I still have no idea what accurate portions are. That's why I'm so crazy about weighing everything. I always hope for the people that don't weigh things that it really works for them, but it does NOT work for me.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    rschluet wrote: »
    I have a healthier understanding of money then I do calories. For this reason I see each calorie as some type of monetary value that can be used to "purchase" food items through out the day. In order to get the most "bang" out of my buck I check my foods to see if I am getting enough nutrition for the cost of the item just like I would if I was buying a new computer or something. Sometimes when I want to buy something frivolous (cookies!) I grab a side job of exercise to keep me from going into debt. It's become such a weird habit that I have taken to telling my husband "I don't have enough money for that" when he asks if I want to eat something.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this! I'm a money-minded person, too (work in the financial industry) and this is NOT weird. It's a really logical, sound way to view food and calories. Thanks for sharing!

I find this concept pleasing as well. The idea of a calorie "budget" with added excercise revenue and food expenditures just makes so much sense. Now I just have to figure out how to calculate the ROI on a couple beers with tonight's dinner.

The ROI from the beers equates to relaxation/stress reduction which in turn equals less cortisol production. That's how I justify my daily wine intake (which I always log). :
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    rschluet wrote: »
    I have a healthier understanding of money then I do calories. For this reason I see each calorie as some type of monetary value that can be used to "purchase" food items through out the day. In order to get the most "bang" out of my buck I check my foods to see if I am getting enough nutrition for the cost of the item just like I would if I was buying a new computer or something. Sometimes when I want to buy something frivolous (cookies!) I grab a side job of exercise to keep me from going into debt. It's become such a weird habit that I have taken to telling my husband "I don't have enough money for that" when he asks if I want to eat something.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this! I'm a money-minded person, too (work in the financial industry) and this is NOT weird. It's a really logical, sound way to view food and calories. Thanks for sharing!

I find this concept pleasing as well. The idea of a calorie "budget" with added excercise revenue and food expenditures just makes so much sense. Now I just have to figure out how to calculate the ROI on a couple beers with tonight's dinner.

The ROI from the beers equates to relaxation/stress reduction which in turn equals less cortisol production. That's how I justify my daily wine intake (which I always log). :

Well, ALMOST always . . . . unless I'm WAY over on the daily calorie allotment. :wink:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My confession is that this thread is making me feel like I have absolutely spectacular eating habits.

Also, I just want to say that I love fresh pineapple! Cut one open yesterday and it is like eating sunshine. When I lived in South America, I would eat 3 pineapples a week, plus piles of other tropical fruit. Yes, I am that mythical person who got fat eating fruit.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »
    megsb1991 wrote: »
    I stand on the scales completely and utterly starkers. You never know, my clothing could be suppperrr heavy. I also once tried to tye my hair up to see if it made a difference....

Also, for any friends or family who are non-MFP, when they ask how much I've lost, I say 1 extra pound than I actually have lost as inner-encouragment. Then when I actualy do lose it I can say 'Boom! See you could do it! That statement is now completely true' ;)

I'm worse, I won't even have a watch on when I weigh in!

I also weigh myself naked.

Here, too, but before, not after my shower. I have very thick hair that holds about 8 oz of water, not to mention what's in my skin. Not too obsessive, huh?

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was craving something sweet the other night but had absolutely nothing in the house that would satisfy me except some hot chocolate. So I ate two spoonfuls of the powder. Two spoonfuls. Of the powder.

The powder is better if you dip it in hot water first. Guilty.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly weigh every single thing that I eat, unless I walk around with a scale and I'm NOT about to do that. Sure I want to lose weight, but I'll make the best guess possible even if it means overestimating and undereating. It's impossible for me to make this a lifestyle if it means being an obsessive maniac over how many grams are in a freakin grape. I simply can't do it. That said, I'll make a conscious effort and do the best I can, but no way in hell I'm walking around with a scale to weigh every single morsel. Kudos to those of you who do, I'm not there nor do I think I want to be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had pancakes for dinner tonight, feeling guilty, also thought it was pancake day today but it isn't till next week, oops! o:)

I thought it was last week in France, actually. Now I'm confused (not that it matters, I made crepes last week, and this morning, and maybe again next week).
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Another: if I I see someone consistently logging "1 serving of chicken (3 oz)", I give it the side-eye. Did you *really* only eat 3 ounces of chicken, or did you just eat a chicken breast (which can be anywhere from 9 to 12 ounces) and call it one serving?

I do this too! 3 oz of chicken is pretty much nothing. I've never had a chicken breast that was less than 7 oz. I always know those are the ones who don't have food scales and are just estimating!!

Not necessarily true! ;) I do have a food scale, and I religiously weigh out EXACTLY 100 grams (slightly over 3 oz) of chicken at a time for my meals! But then again, I pretty much only eat chicken in sandwiches and (huge) salads--If I was eating it as dinner on a plate with just a veggie side, I'd probably eat double that or more. O.o

That's super awesome, then. Go you! :)

(I still think a lot of people just put in one serving, though. I know -- years ago I used to do it, too. Buying that food scale is a big eye-opener, isn't it?)
    Josalinn wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I wear the same stinky workout clothes for several days without washing. Ewww gross, I know. Always change my socks though lol

I do this too. But I change my undies also :p

If I'm just going for cardio, I go commando at the gym. If I'm doing yoga or bench, can't do that lol.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly weigh every single thing that I eat, unless I walk around with a scale and I'm NOT about to do that. Sure I want to lose weight, but I'll make the best guess possible even if it means overestimating and undereating. It's impossible for me to make this a lifestyle if it means being an obsessive maniac over how many grams are in a freakin grape. I simply can't do it. That said, I'll make a conscious effort and do the best I can, but no way in hell I'm walking around with a scale to weigh every single morsel. Kudos to those of you who do, I'm not there nor do I think I want to be.

^^
    What they said.

My confession - the idea of weighing everything drives me crazy. I will overestimate and up my entry rather than weigh it. I have avoided foods at the work cafeteria because they are too complicated to put in.
  • BeachinBeauty
    BeachinBeauty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gross workout clothes club, too. I've had to spend so much money replacing my daily wardrobe that workout clothes really aren't in the budget. I have two pairs of workout pants and four tops. I often wear the same workout clothes for days in a row.

I will overeat when my willpower is gone and then come home and attempt to work off all or at least half of what I ate over my daily limit. I assume many people do this. Like, last weekend was my nephew's birthday so there was cake and ice cream. I ate both and was about 150 cals over my daily goal. So, I came home and worked out to negate that.

When it's almost time for my "time of the month," the week leading up to it, I get these ravenous, specific cravings for terrible foods. Last week I had a meltdown in the grocery store with DH because I couldn't find anything chocolate with a reasonable amount of calories. I cried.

I always log when the number on the scale goes down. If it goes up or stays the same I will not log that. I weigh daily, but because I do not always remain vigilant about sodium intake, I am frequently holding water weight. So, I don't feel like it counts.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I do this too! 3 oz of chicken is pretty much nothing. I've never had a chicken breast that was less than 7 oz. I always know those are the ones who don't have food scales and are just estimating!!

I buy chicken and cut it down before freezing and weigh it out. Weight is written on the bag. So yes, some if us really *do* ONLY eat 3 ounces.

How do you manage to cut out exactly 3 ounces every time though? That's the thing I don't get... I see people log 3oz or 4oz all the time, but unless they're wasting food by trimming the breast until it's exactly 3oz, I don't really understand how it's possible.

I usually end up with numerous small chunks. My chicken hasn't been in big pieces since I started this. My cheese either
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm the person 911 calls when people go missing. I try not to judge the people who go missing (in the woods or water), but 90% of them went missing for a good reason.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How do you manage to cut out exactly 3 ounces every time though? That's the thing I don't get... I see people log 3oz or 4oz all the time, but unless they're wasting food by trimming the breast until it's exactly 3oz, I don't really understand how it's possible.
    [/quote]

I really DO cut it down until it's the weight I want. You're assuming the excess is being thrown away or otherwise discarded and wasted. Ohhhh fear not my friend, the rest gets added to whatever else has been cut down to get the required/desired weight. And the best part???? I do GRAMS, not ounces. And yes, I WILL cut it down to 85 grams thank you. Not 86, not 84....85. That's my magic number!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I actually had a small chicken breast that was 3oz on the nose last week. It was so weird!

I'm a big fan of using the same entry, but adapting my servings (like 1.67 for 5oz when the entry is for 3). Too lazy to find another reliable entry! Ha.
  • vonnieandbaby
    vonnieandbaby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After reading some post of this thread I found it totally okay to have a bag of milk chocolate covered cashews and go over my calories for once - at least I only ate back workout calories ;)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    I'm the person 911 calls when people go missing. I try not to judge the people who go missing (in the woods or water), but 90% of them went missing for a good reason.

I live in a mountainous state where people go missing while hiking all the time. Usually they're missing due to stupidity and inexperience (hiking alone, no emergency gear, terrible weather forecast, no GPS, etc.).