March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ to the rescue again. ;) Thank you! I think I'll should invest. Wicked shoes btw!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ...we are community- and in this community we have subcommunities- and they are not islands- they are vene diagrams- and there is overlap- which is why- despite my fairly lift heavy liftstyle- you all have welcomed me in with open arms and fabulous shoes (come on shoes)- and why the lifting community opens anyone who is willing to take the leap with open arms.

It happens- we cross paths.
    @JoRocka Leave it to a seasoned MFP Forum veteran to sum it up so perfectly.
    dem some sweet kicks!!! I WANNNNNNT

I want new running shoes- no need for them- but I still want them!!!
    Me too!

• VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    03/02- 2 miles
    03/04- 2.25 miles
    03/06- 3.1 miles
    03/09- 3 miles (ran 2 miles straight!!!)

Total - 10.35 miles........ Goal 26 miles
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    and there is overlap- which is why- despite my fairly lift heavy liftstyle- you all have welcomed me in with open arms and fabulous shoes (come on shoes)- and why the lifting community opens anyone who is willing to take the leap with open arms.
    If I leap into your open arms, promise not to hurt me... too badly?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka Leave it to a seasoned MFP Forum veteran to sum it up so perfectly.
    awwww thank you lovey!!!
    :flowerforyou:

and there is overlap- which is why- despite my fairly lift heavy liftstyle- you all have welcomed me in with open arms and fabulous shoes (come on shoes)- and why the lifting community opens anyone who is willing to take the leap with open arms.
    If I leap into your open arms, promise not to hurt me... too badly?

Nope- you're golden- leap away my friend.

Remember-

<<<<<<<<<< she squats bro... so can catch. and promise to not pretzel you up. Who will grace us with fabulous shoes if I do that!!!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    03/09- 3 miles (ran 2 miles straight!!!)
    @VintageMatch Yay! You got this!

• CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    briebee7 wrote: »

I think I must have missed something here! Plenty of other people post riding/walking/strength training etc. I don't see how it distracts from the challange? Post away!

I only post my running mileage because that is really my only dedicated exercise right now outside of the occasional Pilates class.

I missed something too! I have been posting my biking and strength training as well, and several people said it was fine. I still have a running goal but I also want to mix it up and do strength training. @codemonkey78 - post away. BTW - I biked 71 yesterday. I hope I can run tomorrow - one knee is slightly sore. Was helping my husband train for the Tour De Cure next week - 100 miles. I'm not doing that one, just helping him by riding with him.

Awesome ride @ddmom0811‌! I hope your knee is okay!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that cross training was an activity to supplement your main activity. If you ''cross train'' more than you run then running becomes cross training.

But it seems like I'm wrong, as always. I might rage quit this challenge.

You are correct, but you forgot a couple of things..

People here who know me KNOW that running is my PASSION. They also know that I am working my mileage back up. YOU also know this.

I posted my cycling miles because I was asked about my goals. I did this is to keep me accountable.

While I am working my mileage back up, of course I cannot run as much as I want to.. So I supplement with cycling. As everyone knows, you will produce more miles in an hour of cycling than you will in an hour of running. So of course, the numbers will be skewed.

Does this mean I'm not a fanatical runner? Hell no. It means that I am doing everything in my power to return to running and running long distance.

If you want to "rage quit", that's your decision. If you have an issue with someone who's working their *kitten* off to return to their passion for running, that's not my problem -- and you may need to reevaluate your support for the running community.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am moving along very slowly.....

Goal 60
    Date Miles Total Miles to go
    March 1
    March 2
    March 3....3.4............3.4...........56.6
    March 4....2.0............5.4...........54.6
    March 5....6.2..........11.6...........48.4
    March 6
    March 7....1.4..........13.0...........47.0
    March 8
    March 9....3.0..........16.0...........44.0

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Taking a moment to catch up - this discussion is moving so quickly!
    @Deathy13‌ - I am sorry the race was rainy and cold and the jazz bands pulled out - that sucks! I hope you have another one on the horizon that will be more fun!
    @HonuNui‌ - pretty sure I need to come there and run to see the whales and sea turtles! Love the whale tail picture!
    @Ohhim‌ - I guess some people would say I am crazy :) I am definitely a local and love to run with my dog, along with many other local runners, on the beach here. If I could I would do it much more often!
    @autumnblade75‌ - I hope you are pain free after your run!
    @Wendy1Fl‌ - look at you go! Already almost halfway to your goal this month! You are doing great and getting some consistent runs in!
    @SLHysell‌ - you have come SO far in just a year - wow! You are going to be great in that half in 2 weeks!
    @CodeMonkey78‌ - family time is always a good idea!
    @dawnna76‌ - i don't really run hills (I have to drive to get to one) but I really like the explanation from @SonicDeathMonkey80‌ and @JoRocka‌. So much, that I am going to give it a try too.
    @fabnine‌ - every day I learn something new about you and you continue to amaze me! Love the story of how you started running again!
    @JoRocka‌ - never thought I would see 'venn diagram' used in a running forum discussion - nice :)
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ - love those shoes! I need a new pair and am looking for another 0 drop - taking suggestions and hope to get to the running store this weekend to try some on!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Goal: 130 miles

1/3 - 0
    2/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    3/3 - 0
    4/3 - 0
    5/3 - 10 miles (treadmill and wow was this boring)
    6/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    7/3 - 7.5 miles (outside, yay for weekends)
    8/3 - 13.25 miles (outside)
    9/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)

Total: 45.75miles

My long run on Sunday plus my run yesterday ended with a blister the size of my small top attached to my big toe! Popping that was not the nicest thing in the world to do.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    10-Mar: 6.8K
    Total: 38 miles

b711f2b2eade190.png
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5K - 3rd place in my age group. Not my best time, but happy with it! 29:07
    March 2- rest
    March 3- 5.05 miles and strength training
    March 4 - 5.09 miles
    March 5 - 5.13 miles
    March 6 - strength training
    March 7 - 34 miles Biking - brutal winds today. I couldn’t keep up around the lake.
    March 8 - 71 miles biking. Beautiful day out but that was too long.
    March 9 - rest day
    March 10 - strength training after work today. Tried to run but left knee is sore from the long bike ride. So went back home. I think it will be fine tomorrow with one more day rest. I just don't want to injure it and be out longer, especially with 10k on Saturday.

exercise.png
  • JoRocka
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Taking a moment to catch up - this discussion is moving so quickly!
    @Deathy13‌ - I am sorry the race was rainy and cold and the jazz bands pulled out - that sucks! I hope you have another one on the horizon that will be more fun!
    @HonuNui‌ - pretty sure I need to come there and run to see the whales and sea turtles! Love the whale tail picture!
    @Ohhim‌ - I guess some people would say I am crazy :) I am definitely a local and love to run with my dog, along with many other local runners, on the beach here. If I could I would do it much more often!
    @autumnblade75‌ - I hope you are pain free after your run!
    @Wendy1Fl‌ - look at you go! Already almost halfway to your goal this month! You are doing great and getting some consistent runs in!
    @SLHysell‌ - you have come SO far in just a year - wow! You are going to be great in that half in 2 weeks!
    @CodeMonkey78‌ - family time is always a good idea!
    @dawnna76‌ - i don't really run hills (I have to drive to get to one) but I really like the explanation from @SonicDeathMonkey80‌ and @JoRocka‌. So much, that I am going to give it a try too.
    @fabnine‌ - every day I learn something new about you and you continue to amaze me! Love the story of how you started running again!
    @JoRocka‌ - never thought I would see 'venn diagram' used in a running forum discussion - nice :)
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ - love those shoes! I need a new pair and am looking for another 0 drop - taking suggestions and hope to get to the running store this weekend to try some on!

LOL- I spelled it wrong- because I shouldn't be posting- but glad you got it- I kept typing it and I was like why is this wrong.. and I couldn't be assed to google.

But- yeah- nerd win!!!!!!

:D
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1/3 - 0
    2/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    3/3 - 0
    4/3 - 0
    5/3 - 10 miles (treadmill and wow was this boring)
    6/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    7/3 - 7.5 miles (outside, yay for weekends)
    8/3 - 13.25 miles (outside)
    9/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    10/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)

Total: 50.75miles

Double update today. Thought I would do my update after I got back from the gym and had something to eat.

Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. I don't like running on the treadmill but running on the roads around London is worse.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This is a sweet little community here.... I love it. And I like seeing what everyone does besides run (as long as we all acknowledge RUNNING that is THE *kitten*)... only problem is that I see these recent posts about people wanting/getting new shoes and now I have uninhibited lust to get these (Inov8 Ultra 270) (and where is mom when I need her? :( )...
    o8r7d66w2a3q.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know they aren't zero drop, but for trails I can live with 4mm....

Those shoes are hot!! <3

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/1 6.5 miles - 6.5 <<<< 1.5 w/u plus 8K race
    3/2 5 miles - 11.5
    3/3 8 miles - 19.5
    3/4 8 miles - 27.5 <<< new shoes today (ASICS Gel Noosa Tri 8's)
    3/5 6 miles - 33.5 <<< TM intervals (ice covered streets)
    3/6 8 miles - 41.5 <<< TM progressions @ recovery & easy paces
    3.7 15 miles - 56.5 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mtns long run (1,299 ft elevation gain)
    3/8 6.2 miles - 62.7
    3/9 8.5 miles - 71.2
    3/10 8 miles - 79.2

exercise.png

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you want to "rage quit", that's your decision. If you have an issue with someone who's working their *kitten* off to return to their passion for running, that's not my problem -- and you may need to reevaluate your support for the running community.

You know very well to what I was refering to with my rage quit comment.

• JoRocka
    Options
    keep calm.

and go for a run.