why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin...

The process of converting protein to glucose through gluconeogensis is not thermodynamically favorable. What this means, it just takes more energy to convert specific amino acids to glucose. I see data that suggests your metabolic rate raises on a ketogenic based diet. This was done on people in a calorimeter, with a tighly controlled diet.

So you can sit there eat 2000 calories of a carb based diet with no results due to your TDEE being 2000. Switch over to a low carb diet and your metabolism can increase above 2000. You can sit there eating 2000 calories of a protein based diet and lose weight. Then you come to the conclusion, "i am eating the same as before."

Someone said something about fat and satiety. That theory was a long time ago, I would assume in the late 1990's. Fat supposedly triggers CCK(Cholecystokinin) which makes you feel fuller. But we also have to keep in mind if that's even true, fat is still double the calories.

There is also some people talking about eating a lot of fat such as in keto, the fat comes out the other end. I mean we all heard of floaters... so Idk. It's a possibility.

I'm going to focus on the bold part since I've never seen the data you suggest in the first paragraph.

I don't understand what you mean that fat is double the calories, as in what that means to low carb diets? Low carb dieters don't take the 100g of carbs they would eat otherwise and go and eat 100g of fat instead because they cut those 100g out. I guess I'm confused on what that line meant.

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I understand that. I'm just not sure what the poster meant by that line. That since a gram of fat is double the calories that is why people claim to feel more full, that there are more calories per gram? Just not sure. Either way, I think that feeling full is a big plus for people that eat LCHF.

I feel full and don't eat LCHF.....not sure why LCHFers think they are the only ones to feel full

The difference is that the low carbers who eat high fat will feel full (synonymous with not feeling hungry or weak from hunger) not for 6-8 hours, but from 8-16 hours or longer. I can eat dinner at 8pm, go to bed, wake up at 6am, have 200 calories of heavy whipping cream, and I am good til about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

This is my eating pattern, and this is the methodology behind keto/lchf. If I have no desire to eat Anything, I have no overeating challenges. And its not an eating disorder...I eat like a slob at night.

Anti science from a low carber? Who'd a thunk
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    gaddabout wrote: »
    My general perception is there are a lot of people out there who think they counted calories but either (a) don't have an accurate perception of serving size or (b) have blind spots and poor accounting of their daily calories.

I find even using My Fitness Pal, if I'm not diligent about measuring and entering food right away, it's really easy to enter 1/2 cup of grapes when he it was closer to 1, or forget about that 120-calorie slice of cheddar I had in my tuna wrap.

As to the discussion here, it's pretty dangerous to call out others for diet heresy. You don't know their health situation. You're not a doctor. I don't believe CICO is the only legitimate way of losing weight, but I do think it's the most practical and easy to understand. OTOH, I think if you're diabetic or have heart ailments, there are higher diet priorities than mere calories to consider, and chasing a diet that leans towards something unbalanced could do more harm to health than weight gain. What's a little ironic is my father has both diabetes and heart problems, and CICO is the ONLY way he can manage his weight; high-fat content can impair him and high-carb content sends his sugar through the roof. He's given virtually everything a legitimate shot only to end up at his doctor or in the hospital. I am suspicious of anyone who thinks there's One True Diet for everyone.

Science! Not everyone gets it

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979‌ just want to say I congratulate you for starting the thread and being open to the reasonable responses
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    My general perception is there are a lot of people out there who think they counted calories but either (a) don't have an accurate perception of serving size or (b) have blind spots and poor accounting of their daily calories.

I find even using My Fitness Pal, if I'm not diligent about measuring and entering food right away, it's really easy to enter 1/2 cup of grapes when he it was closer to 1, or forget about that 120-calorie slice of cheddar I had in my tuna wrap.

As to the discussion here, it's pretty dangerous to call out others for diet heresy. You don't know their health situation. You're not a doctor. I don't believe CICO is the only legitimate way of losing weight, but I do think it's the most practical and easy to understand. OTOH, I think if you're diabetic or have heart ailments, there are higher diet priorities than mere calories to consider, and chasing a diet that leans towards something unbalanced could do more harm to health than weight gain. What's a little ironic is my father has both diabetes and heart problems, and CICO is the ONLY way he can manage his weight; high-fat content can impair him and high-carb content sends his sugar through the roof. He's given virtually everything a legitimate shot only to end up at his doctor or in the hospital. I am suspicious of anyone who thinks there's One True Diet for everyone.

please tell me what other way there is to lose weight besides CICO???

i honestly don't think some people have a true understanding of what cico actually means..
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kickinmom wrote: »
    There are studies that show it's not the quantity of calories but the quality. Dr. Hyman and Dr. Gray (Wheat Belly) are proof of this. Plus, here's a conundrum if you believe calories in calories out: when cows were fed a high-fat diet of coconut oil, they LOST weight. Ranchers thought that would be a cheap way to fatten them up, but it had the opposite effect.

Fat (which a lot of low carbers tout) helps you feel full, helps your bathroom habit, keeps hair and skin healthy, and helps brain function. Brain runs almost entirely off fat.

I've found that a lower-carb diet helps me lose weight. I eat healthy fats, but in reasonable quantities. But I listen to my body; if it is craving carbs I will fix a healthy low GI carb (sweet potato, beans, ...) at the next meal.

There are a lot of things we don't know about how our bodies use food. I don't discount anything that works for anyone.

No it does not. Even in ketosis the brain will still use glucose. Stop listening to pseudoscience
    From the Ketogenic Diet book pg.21
    "The fact that the brain is incapable of using FFA for fuel has led to one of the biggest
    misconceptions about human physiology: that the brain can only use glucose for fuel. While it is true that the brain normally runs on glucose, the brain will readily use ketones for fuel if they are
    available (4-6).
    Arguably the most important tissue in terms of ketone utilization is the brain which can
    derive up to 75% of its total energy requirements from ketones after adaptation (4-6). In all
    likelihood, ketones exist primarily to provide a fat-derived fuel for the brain during periods when carbohydrates are unavailable (2,7)."
    pg.28
    "A second function of ketones is as a fuel for most other tissues in the body. By shifting the
    entire body’s metabolism from glucose to fat, what glucose is available is conserved for use by the brain"
  • asdowe13
    Options

The process of converting protein to glucose through gluconeogensis is not thermodynamically favorable. What this means, it just takes more energy to convert specific amino acids to glucose. I see data that suggests your metabolic rate raises on a ketogenic based diet. This was done on people in a calorimeter, with a tighly controlled diet.

So you can sit there eat 2000 calories of a carb based diet with no results due to your TDEE being 2000. Switch over to a low carb diet and your metabolism can increase above 2000. You can sit there eating 2000 calories of a protein based diet and lose weight. Then you come to the conclusion, "i am eating the same as before."

Someone said something about fat and satiety. That theory was a long time ago, I would assume in the late 1990's. Fat supposedly triggers CCK(Cholecystokinin) which makes you feel fuller. But we also have to keep in mind if that's even true, fat is still double the calories.

There is also some people talking about eating a lot of fat such as in keto, the fat comes out the other end. I mean we all heard of floaters... so Idk. It's a possibility.

I'm going to focus on the bold part since I've never seen the data you suggest in the first paragraph.

I don't understand what you mean that fat is double the calories, as in what that means to low carb diets? Low carb dieters don't take the 100g of carbs they would eat otherwise and go and eat 100g of fat instead because they cut those 100g out. I guess I'm confused on what that line meant.

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

I understand that. I'm just not sure what the poster meant by that line. That since a gram of fat is double the calories that is why people claim to feel more full, that there are more calories per gram? Just not sure. Either way, I think that feeling full is a big plus for people that eat LCHF.

I feel full and don't eat LCHF.....not sure why LCHFers think they are the only ones to feel full

The difference is that the low carbers who eat high fat will feel full (synonymous with not feeling hungry or weak from hunger) not for 6-8 hours, but from 8-16 hours or longer. I can eat dinner at 8pm, go to bed, wake up at 6am, have 200 calories of heavy whipping cream, and I am good til about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

This is my eating pattern, and this is the methodology behind keto/lchf. If I have no desire to eat Anything, I have no overeating challenges. And its not an eating disorder...I eat like a slob at night.

What are you trying to say here?

I can't feel full because I don't wait 8-16 hours between meals?
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

tagged @gaddabout‌ because I want to hear this answer too.

giphy.gif
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    :p

i honestly don't think some people have a true understanding of what cico actually means..

Calories In Calories Out :p
  • tomatoey
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

Lol sorry you're legit cracking me up, you can be full, no one's saying you can't be full, lololol - you are full :):) lolol
  • asdowe13
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

Lol sorry you're legit cracking me up, you can be full, no one's saying you can't be full, lololol - you are full :):) lolol

My point.....Your missing it
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Correct. But most people who lose weight don't count them. If you can count them that's great. But if you can't, get educated, read labels, and use common sense (like have one or two pieces of bread at the restaurant instead of six; share the desert instead of ordering two deserts).

What your little example shows is a way of making a calorie deficit. Even better if before you would always eat 6 pieces of bread. Save calories already on bread alone.
  • tomatoey
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

your point was that an argument no one made is false. you said people 'implied' things, but that's not true. people talked about their own experiences, and some people referred to some research that supported an idea. if anyone said you can't be full, i missed it. (lololol i don't know why i find this hilarious, sorry, nothing against you)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    blukitten wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I actually feel bad for the sensible Low Carbers on MFP sometimes. They come in, all rational with their, "it's the way to make CICO work best for me" or their, "of course, I have a particular medical concern that makes eating this way a priority...." and then some nut comes in and shouts over their sanity with the "THE REFINED SUGARZ WILL KILL YOU BULLETPROOF COFFEE 4 LYFE!!!!!" business and the result is....sigh.

It must be exhausting.

I agree ...

however, it is probably the same feeling that some of us get when the clean eaters say that moderation is all about eating 2000 calories of twinkies all the time...

That is so dumb. Everyone knows we eat 2000 calories of ice cream.

Except on Sundays. Sundays are now Peep Cleanse Day.

Wrong- sundays are YELLOW peep cleanse day-- don't forget he said it was only yellow peeps that did the cleansing! :)

Darn it, you're right.

My apologies, I'm new to the Peep lifestyle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Correct. But most people who lose weight don't count them. If you can count them that's great. But if you can't, get educated, read labels, and use common sense (like have one or two pieces of bread at the restaurant instead of six; share the desert instead of ordering two deserts).

CICO is not calorie counting.

CICO = calories in vs calories out

calorie counting, low carb, IF, keto, IIFYM, etc are tools to get you into a deficit, surplus, or maintenance...

so again what else is there besides CICO?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

You can find any kind of diet book on amazon. No one here is recommending a HCLF diet (I'd hate it), but there are people on MFP all about the raw 80-10-10 stuff, and plenty of diet books for plenty of different kinds of diets that are HCLF.

I don't at all disagree that LCHF works, but this is the kind of post that we've been responding to that Mel seems to want to dismiss (I would to if I were her, since she seems extremely sensible and to have a good understanding of how different diets work for different people). The point I and others are making is that LCHF is not the best diet ever and doesn't work for EVERYONE. It would not work for me, whereas balanced macros do (balance depending on what my TDEE is and how much activity I'm doing). You may eat fewer calories doing LCHF (if only because you are using that to cut out trigger foods that for you happen to be processed carbs), but that's not so for everyone, and if you are doing it to cut out foods that tempt you (as opposed to dealing with satiety issues) I'm frankly skeptical about whether there's any benefit long term.

Long term, not having big bags of chips and cookies and pretzels, and half-gallon containers of ice cream in my house, have worked out very well for me long-term. Yes, I admit it - I lack willpower. And so do most people.

And again, this has NOTHING to do with being low carb. You don't need to be low carb to get rid of trigger foods in the house, and I'm many could come up with trigger foods that aren't carb based to keep in the house or not.

You aren't discussing the topic here.
    I've also dumped cereal because the amount I need to eat for breakfast is 2.5 times the serving suggested on the box. My breakfast "diet food" is one egg, a strip of bacon, and some grilled onions.

Mine is a two egg vegetable omelet with fruit, and cottage cheese or yogurt, usually. Sometimes I have smoked salmon instead of the dairy. I never ate cereal because I can't stand cold cereal, and I don't eat oatmeal without adding some protein or fat to make it filling, but obviously some people find oatmeal filling. Again, not sure what this has to do with anything. YOU were the one who make general claims and not just claims about what worked for you, remember.
    I could care less about balanced macros. My grandparents lived past 90 at the right weight without knowing their balanced macros. But they ate good food, and had no junk in the house.

So are you claiming carbs=junk or have you just admitted this has nothing to do with LCHF or low carb, as I said originally?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

Wait... whoever said that the only two options are LCHF and HCLF?
  • tomatoey
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

your point was that an argument no one made is false. you said people 'implied' things, but that's not true. people talked about their own experiences, and some people referred to some research that supported an idea. if anyone said you can't be full, i missed it. (lololol i don't know why i find this hilarious, sorry, nothing against you)

(I think it's because of the expression you've got in your profile pic combined with the repeated statement. Or lack of sleep. Anyway not personal, sorry, just me being weird)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

Or perhaps you're not making it.

:drinker: