why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    blukitten wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

You can find any kind of diet book on amazon. No one here is recommending a HCLF diet (I'd hate it), but there are people on MFP all about the raw 80-10-10 stuff, and plenty of diet books for plenty of different kinds of diets that are HCLF.

I don't at all disagree that LCHF works, but this is the kind of post that we've been responding to that Mel seems to want to dismiss (I would to if I were her, since she seems extremely sensible and to have a good understanding of how different diets work for different people). The point I and others are making is that LCHF is not the best diet ever and doesn't work for EVERYONE. It would not work for me, whereas balanced macros do (balance depending on what my TDEE is and how much activity I'm doing). You may eat fewer calories doing LCHF (if only because you are using that to cut out trigger foods that for you happen to be processed carbs), but that's not so for everyone, and if you are doing it to cut out foods that tempt you (as opposed to dealing with satiety issues) I'm frankly skeptical about whether there's any benefit long term.

Long term, not having big bags of chips and cookies and pretzels, and half-gallon containers of ice cream in my house, have worked out very well for me long-term. Yes, I admit it - I lack willpower. And so do most people.

I've also dumped cereal because the amount I need to eat for breakfast is 2.5 times the serving suggested on the box. My breakfast "diet food" is one egg, a strip of bacon, and some grilled onions.

I could care less about balanced macros. My grandparents lived past 90 at the right weight without knowing their balanced macros. But they ate good food, and had no junk in the house.

PS - I get most of my carbs from fruit and vegetables.

What are your ratios if you eat fruit then? Fruit has sugar?

The sugar I'm getting from fruit is a lot less than the sugar I was getting from cookies and ice cream.

It's entirely possible to control the amount of cookies and ice cream you eat without being LCHF. In fact, amusingly enough, the majority of calories in both are probably from fat, so HCLF people probably aren't eating lots of either.

There's a lot less sugar in potatoes or oatmeal or whole wheat pasta, to pick three major sources of carbs I've had this week, than in fruit (which I've also had, also ice cream, for full disclosure, which I easily can eat a serving of). So not really sure why you are making the discussion about "sugar."

You also didn't answer the question Mel asked.

OK. How about the calories I am getting from fruit is a lot less than the calories I used to get from cookies, cake, chips, pretzels, ice cream and other junk (which I still eat by the way, but at a reduction of about 90% from my previous levels).

I'm sure that's true, but I don't see what it has to do with the discussion or with your claim that LCHF works better than other ways to diet (lots of books on amazon, no books on HCLF, people in general just eat less on LCHF, etc.).

That's my confusion Onlythetruth. You talk about low carbs and about all these LCHF books, but you eat fruit and still eat ice cream, cake, etc. I don't really see that as LCHF...probably eating a balanced diet (the sense of what people eat). Even if you cut down, I just wonder how much you cut if you consider yourself low carb.

You can't eat fruit on low carb? There are also low carb ice cream and baked goods recipes.
    This was my other thought. I follow the reddit/keto boards and I always read that anything under 50 g of carbs as long as it fits is fine. I mean unless it interferes with your goals. Or if you are lower in carbs. Idk this low carb stuff is giving me a headache, but I have no gastric issues right now so I shall stick with it. Ugh.

I mean..i eat 5% net carbs..sometimes below not usually above (except last Thursday was 10% I think because..road trip, nxt, and beer). So, that puts me around 18-27g net per day (depending on exercise) and I have about 70-140g of frozen berries (mix of strawberry, blueberry, cranberry, cherry, and raspberry) most nights. I also have vegetables with 2-3 meals a day. I'm in ketosis.

I've also had low carb ice cream and make things like Cheesecake and biscotti that fit into my 5%. I don't know. I don't get it.

Teach me!! Please!! :) I do berries as it is the only fruit my doc says I can have because of the fiber content- I do other fruit to and usually make it fit into my macros (shhhh don't tell my doc) but I have yet to find a cheesecake or biscotti that will fit into that low of a carb macro- ie 30 or less a day.

Ibreatheimhungry.com

Her recipes are awesome.

Ahhh! Thank you- Yes I think I got a lot of recipes from that site for thanksgiving- I will go back and get some everyday ones- I have almond flour, meal and coconut flour as well so will have to try some more of the recipes

The ones I used for thanksgiving were awesome!

Check these too:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
    http://cavemanketo.com/
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/

/r/xxketo also has their own pinterest pages:
    https://www.pinterest.com/lizkirchhoff/xxketo-breakfasts/
    https://www.pinterest.com/lizkirchhoff/xxketo-lunches/
    https://www.pinterest.com/lizkirchhoff/xxketo-dinners/
    https://www.pinterest.com/lizkirchhoff/xxketo-snacks/

Awesome Thanks! I will have to check them out!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

You can find any kind of diet book on amazon. No one here is recommending a HCLF diet (I'd hate it), but there are people on MFP all about the raw 80-10-10 stuff, and plenty of diet books for plenty of different kinds of diets that are HCLF.

I don't at all disagree that LCHF works, but this is the kind of post that we've been responding to that Mel seems to want to dismiss (I would to if I were her, since she seems extremely sensible and to have a good understanding of how different diets work for different people). The point I and others are making is that LCHF is not the best diet ever and doesn't work for EVERYONE. It would not work for me, whereas balanced macros do (balance depending on what my TDEE is and how much activity I'm doing). You may eat fewer calories doing LCHF (if only because you are using that to cut out trigger foods that for you happen to be processed carbs), but that's not so for everyone, and if you are doing it to cut out foods that tempt you (as opposed to dealing with satiety issues) I'm frankly skeptical about whether there's any benefit long term.

Long term, not having big bags of chips and cookies and pretzels, and half-gallon containers of ice cream in my house, have worked out very well for me long-term. Yes, I admit it - I lack willpower. And so do most people.

I've also dumped cereal because the amount I need to eat for breakfast is 2.5 times the serving suggested on the box. My breakfast "diet food" is one egg, a strip of bacon, and some grilled onions.

I could care less about balanced macros. My grandparents lived past 90 at the right weight without knowing their balanced macros. But they ate good food, and had no junk in the house.

The sugar I'm getting from fruit is a lot less than the sugar I was getting from cookies and ice cream.

It's entirely possible to control the amount of cookies and ice cream you eat without being LCHF. In fact, amusingly enough, the majority of calories in both are probably from fat, so HCLF people probably aren't eating lots of either.

There's a lot less sugar in potatoes or oatmeal or whole wheat pasta, to pick three major sources of carbs I've had this week, than in fruit (which I've also had, also ice cream, for full disclosure, which I easily can eat a serving of). So not really sure why you are making the discussion about "sugar."

OK. How about the calories I am getting from fruit is a lot less than the calories I used to get from cookies, cake, chips, pretzels, ice cream and other junk (which I still eat by the way, but at a reduction of about 90% from my previous levels).

I'm sure that's true, but I don't see what it has to do with the discussion or with your claim that LCHF works better than other ways to diet (lots of books on amazon, no books on HCLF, people in general just eat less on LCHF, etc.).

That's my confusion Onlythetruth. You talk about low carbs and about all these LCHF books, but you eat fruit and still eat ice cream, cake, etc. I don't really see that as LCHF...probably eating a balanced diet (the sense of what people eat). Even if you cut down, I just wonder how much you cut if you consider yourself low carb.

You can't eat fruit on low carb? There are also low carb ice cream and baked goods recipes.
    This was my other thought. I follow the reddit/keto boards and I always read that anything under 50 g of carbs as long as it fits is fine. I mean unless it interferes with your goals. Or if you are lower in carbs. Idk this low carb stuff is giving me a headache, but I have no gastric issues right now so I shall stick with it. Ugh.

too many rules...

Rules? Keep your macros at 5% net carb 20% protein and 75% fat..give or take a few percent for each (whatever works best)..drink enough fluids and keep your sodium up. Done. :)
    Would I be able to eat a serving at night of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream?

How much cardio you wanna do? Anything is possible. The question is if it's worth it.

Why would he have to do cardio to eat ice cream?

To be keto level of low carb (the ratio he quoted) and eat full sugar ice cream, he would need to have room for enough fat and protein to offset the carbs. 1/2c serving of Half Baked has 32g net carbs. That's 128 calories of carbs. If those were the only carbs he had for his entire day, he'd need to be at 2560 calories to stay at 5% carbs. Since he probably would want something besides ice cream in the carb category all day, he'd have to go up an additional 76 calories of fat and protein for each additional single carb.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I know nothing about PCOS, what I do know about is blood sugar and insulin issues (at least those that apply to my own hypoglycemia) however I just want to toss this little fact out there:

One of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes is unexpected weight loss (type 1 ) or unexpected weight gain (type 2). Unexpected meaning they aren't intentionally cutting calories or working out more, I haven't searched for a research study's (I'm on my phone and it's a pain) but it implies that uncontrolled sugars, or insulin effects calorie output.

Unexpected gain for hypoglycemia, too. Excess insulin messes with more than just blood glucose levels. Once one part of the endocrine system is off the others are stressed and cause issues as well.

It depends on which hypoglycemia you have, If you have reactive hypoglycemia your body over produces insulin (more common type). I have the other type where my body doesn't produce correct glucose amounts, while my insulin production is considered normal (or slightly below normal levels because I have less glucose in my blood and therefor don't need the normal amount of insulin). The belief is that Certain disorders of the adrenal glands and the pituitary gland can result in a deficiency of key hormones that regulate glucose production. However in the past 20 years none of the tests on these for me have come back as abnormal. The reason that they caught my hypoglycemia was due to unexpected weight loss.

However if I take a fasting glucose test (my OB did this my second pregnancy) it hits my blood steam (instead of being blocked by lack of processing) and my initial reading will be normal, but within 30 minutes my body reacts by releasing a ton of insulin, and I end up in insulin shock. (freaked the lab techs out when I collapsed and I ended up spending two days in the hospital trying to stabilize my levels).

Ah yes. Thanks for clarifying. I have reactive. All of my fasting numbers are always normal. Once carbohydrate is introduced I produce too much insulin and my bg drops. I have the same problem with exercise. I passed out during my first glucose tolerance test. It was not fun.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    can't lose on more than 80 carbs a day. maybe some folks retain more water than others? I think youth figures in, too, as does lifting weights. I do not lift weights, but I know that if I did i'd need to eat more than 80 carbs a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

too many rules...

Rules? Keep your macros at 5% net carb 20% protein and 75% fat..give or take a few percent for each (whatever works best)..drink enough fluids and keep your sodium up. Done. :)
    Would I be able to eat a serving at night of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream?

How much cardio you wanna do? Anything is possible. The question is if it's worth it.

This doesn't even make sense...
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm losing faith in CICO.

See, there's no actual studies to back up the commonly quoted "3500 calories = 1 pound of fat". Here, have a bunch of study results for low-fat versus low-carb diets. http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/storage/Low-Carb vs Low-Fat Study Comparisons.pdf

I don't believe in it because it's wrong. Just like we turned out to be wrong about fat. Etc. Etc. Different types of calories have different effects, 100 calories of chips is different than 100 calories of lettuce. I have days where I eat a boiled egg and an orange and lose nothing, and then days where I gorge myself senseless on Indian buffet food (since I'm gluten-free, it's basically meat, veggies, and fat)... and then drop 5 pounds. WHAT? That doesn't fit calories-in-calories-out. 'Cause of stuff like metabolisms. I'm no dietitian. I'll tell people to "eat less, count your calories, you're probably eating more than you think"... because it's often true. But our bodies are weird and complex things that we don't necessarily understand everything about just yet.

Anyway, I lift weights and I don't eat a ton of carbs. I try to keep it under 80. I don't calorie count, I don't meticulously track... I put things in when I remember to. And I'm losing weight at a rate that satisfies me... 1-2 pounds a week. My body isn't the same as your body. What works for ME to lose weight... might not work for you. I found a study somewhere and I can't find it now... basically people with glucose resistance had higher success with low-carb, and people who weren't on the track to diabetes, had more success with low-fat diets in the study.

It'd be nice if weight loss was just math. But it isn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about PCOS, what I do know about is blood sugar and insulin issues (at least those that apply to my own hypoglycemia) however I just want to toss this little fact out there:

One of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes is unexpected weight loss (type 1 ) or unexpected weight gain (type 2). Unexpected meaning they aren't intentionally cutting calories or working out more, I haven't searched for a research study's (I'm on my phone and it's a pain) but it implies that uncontrolled sugars, or insulin effects calorie output.

Or input.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

too many rules...

Yup. So either I would not be able to eat the ice cream or as per here numbers I would have to do almost 700 calories worth of cardio. 2 rules, too many rules

If you were doing strict keto. If you were doing generic low carb, it would fit, but you'd probably have to eat less vegetables that day to offset it.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited March 2015
    Options

too many rules...

Why?

Because he asked if he could have half baked ice cream..which is 32g of net carbs. In order to fit it into the keto macros he would need to have a large number of calories to work with in order to get the desired amount of ice cream and stay within the 5%. Exercise increases the number of calories one can eat..this increasing the number
    of carbs.

For example, I ate 1824 calories last Thursday and my carbs were 30g net or 9%. I would have easily been able to skip the beer and jerky and have a half serving of the ice cream that day. Some people can be in ketosis at 9% carb. I, personally like 4-5% better for my blood glucose.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

too many rules...

Yup. So either I would not be able to eat the ice cream or as per here numbers I would have to do almost 700 calories worth of cardio. 2 rules, too many rules

If you were doing strict keto. If you were doing generic low carb, it would fit, but you'd probably have to eat less vegetables that day to offset it.

Or cyclical keto. Haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Babbs1977 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and when I tried just CICO I continued gaining weight. Once I was put on metformin and restricted carbs I lost weight like crazy even though my calorie intake actually went up. I realize the typical person without a hormone issue going on probably wouldn't have the same issues that I did.

you are still doing CICO ..you are just using medication to regulate the out side for you ..

I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for years. CICO did not work for me, while on the medication, and I gained weight while eating within my calorie range and working out. Even when varying the amount of exercise calories back or not eating them at all. I measure my food and don't eat junk either.

When I eat low carb I lose weight. My medication hasn't changed and my exercise hasn't changed either, the only thing that has changed is the restricting of carbohydrates. I still eat within my calorie range, still vary eating back my exercise calories, yet now I'm losing weight. For some of us, low carb eating is medically necessary and CICO will never work.

^^^ I have experienced this exact same thing. I think many PCOS'ers have which is why I am guessing the OP opted to say he wasn't talking about those with medical issues.

My experience was the exact same- I was doing calorie restriction- 1600 a day, let MFP set my macros for me, even researched TDEE and IIFYM calculators to see what my macros should be and set them by those. Was working out twice a week with a very good personal trainer and three times a week on my own- did not lose weight.

I also did CICO based on TDEE with a 500 cal cut (as recommended)- without working out while on metformin- did not lose weight.

Now- I am still sticking to my 1600 cals, on metformin and cut carbs as recommended by my doc and nutritionist and I am losing steadily- without exercise. The only difference is that now I am limiting my carbs to 30g a day. I am adding exercise now (just this week) because I want to build muscle. For some of us low carbers as @Babbs1977‌ says- CICO alone will never work

ARGH!... Just picking a nit!!!! CICO is working. I am picking a nit with your language. You're not the first poster to do this, so sorry for singling you out.

CICO is NOT a way of eating. It's an equation. Calories in, Calories Out. Colloquially, around here, it's used to mean mean putting that equation into practice so that it nets a deficit of energy.

The components of what make up those calories are NOT CICO.

CICO is working for you.... on a diet with its macros balanced to be low carb.

CICO is working for me... on a diet with its macros balanced to be moderate carb.

CICO works for other people on this thread with different macro balances.

Sorry, I just... there has to be a better way to to stop confusing IIFYM with CICO.

And not to be rude or demeaning to you but if you actually read my post instead of quickly scanning through it (an assumption on my part here) - you will find that I NEVER said CICO is NOT working for me. What I said was that CICO ALONE will never work for me- meaning I cannot simply just stick to counting the amount of CALORIES I take in- which I have tried. I HAVE to count carbs AND calories- like I said in other posts- because insulin and my body not using it properly.

I also NEVER said CICO is a way of eating (another assumption on your part) I am fully aware of what it means and the equation it represents.

You are correct I am doing CICO (also stated on another post) but with the macros (which several others have posted as part of CICO) balanced with a lower carb count

But CICO isn't calorie counting. CICO is simply how weight is regulated. Whether you gain, maintain, or lose... it's just a statement of energy balance.

On the forums its colloquial usage is for for a negative energy balance.

Right. Saying it's all CICO is the forum way of saying "you need a calorie deficit to lose and will lose so long as you have a calorie deficit." Clearly lots of things affect whether or not you have a calorie deficit, like what your metabolism is (affects calories out), the energy cost of digestion (affects either calories in or calories out, depending on how you think of it), how active you are, etc. But saying CICO does not work for me is in essence saying that you can eat more than your TDEE and not gain (your real TDEE, not what some calculator says) or eat below your TDEE and not lose.

Hormone issues, as I'm understanding it, will either affect satiation (and thus compliance) or the actual metabolism (calories out). They don't make calories irrelevant. (And I don't think any of the major participants in this conversation are saying calories are irrelevant, I just think there are some communication difficulties for whatever reason.)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    I'm losing faith in CICO.

See, there's no actual studies to back up the commonly quoted "3500 calories = 1 pound of fat". Here, have a bunch of study results for low-fat versus low-carb diets. http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/storage/Low-Carb vs Low-Fat Study Comparisons.pdf

I don't believe in it because it's wrong. Just like we turned out to be wrong about fat. Etc. Etc. Different types of calories have different effects, 100 calories of chips is different than 100 calories of lettuce. I have days where I eat a boiled egg and an orange and lose nothing, and then days where I gorge myself senseless on Indian buffet food (since I'm gluten-free, it's basically meat, veggies, and fat)... and then drop 5 pounds. WHAT? That doesn't fit calories-in-calories-out. 'Cause of stuff like metabolisms. I'm no dietitian. I'll tell people to "eat less, count your calories, you're probably eating more than you think"... because it's often true. But our bodies are weird and complex things that we don't necessarily understand everything about just yet.

Anyway, I lift weights and I don't eat a ton of carbs. I try to keep it under 80. I don't calorie count, I don't meticulously track... I put things in when I remember to. And I'm losing weight at a rate that satisfies me... 1-2 pounds a week. My body isn't the same as your body. What works for ME to lose weight... might not work for you. I found a study somewhere and I can't find it now... basically people with glucose resistance had higher success with low-carb, and people who weren't on the track to diabetes, had more success with low-fat diets in the study.

It'd be nice if weight loss was just math. But it isn't.

But it IS just math. How else do you think you are losing weight? Do you acknowledge that a calorie deficit is required to lose weight? Because if you do, that is CICO. Just because you don't lose at the same rate as a estimated prediction doesn't invalidate the equation.

And, fundamentally, your body IS the same as my body. That's why science works.*

*Acknowledging that there are medical conditions which can significantly affect the numbers in the equation, while still recognizing that if CI<CO, weight loss is achieved.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    All I know is:

1) I have lost weight.
    2) I WANT to lose fat weight (which I KNOW requires exercise and I try to eat a good amount of protein)
    3) I WANT to lose both (less calories, more exercise and I have no patient so, I eat a low calorie amount while trying to keep my nutritional feed)
    4) I eat ANYTHING I want as far as, I don't restrict any special food (except number 5)
    5) Yes, my carbs are LOWer (I don't want simple carbs because they breakdown quickly causing a fast spike in blood sugar. Thus a rush of energy, then a big drop. Plus, when too much sugar floods the system all at once, your body can't use it all for energy and converts it to fat)
    6) I am watching my Macros and try to keep the percentage similar to each other.
    7) I am scared to death that once I go to maintain it will be hard to balance my diet (noun not verb).

So CICO, LCHF, etc.....it's working. (and yes, I see my Dr. EVERY month because I have CHF)

Thats not how it works

Explain please

If you really really are interested in having it explained then read this:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Not to say this person is wrong or right but, who is he/she. I do not see a name on the study.

It's an article summarizing many studies. I'm not sure about the author, but the editor of the site is this man (taken from the website):

James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master's degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master's degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months. His former weight loss clients include the founder of Sylvan Learning Centers and The Little Gym, the vice president of Costco, and a former vice president of MSN. He has given over 75 lectures on weight loss-related topics to physicians, dietitians, and other professionals.

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being.

James is a licensed nutritionist with the state of Washington, a certified Health/Fitness Instructor with the American College of Sports Medicine, and a certified coach with Fowler Wainwright International. For more information on James's background and experience, view his curriculum vita.

Thank you
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

too many rules...

Is what what worth it? Eating ice cream, yup. Forcing myself to do 700 calories of cardio in order to do keto, nope. Ice cream is worth it. Keto isn't. For me

I hear ya. I was going to type that I really miss ice cream..but I don't anymore. The blended frozen berries and heavy cream do it for me.

However, if I didn't need to be so restrictive, I wouldn't be.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So if I understand, I can still eat my simplex carbs?

The following is in The Lean Muscle Diet book. It's simple and straight to the point;
    The Meaningless Classifications That Launched a Thousand Stupid Arguments

You’ve heard carbohydrates described as “simple”or “complex.”I think they start teaching it to kids in third grade now. A simple carb has only one type of sugar. That sugar can be a monosaccharide, like glucose or fructose, or it can be a disaccharide, like sucrose, better known as table sugar, which combines glucose with fructose. Complex carbs are usually polysaccharides: long chains of sugar molecules. Typically, if someone uses the word “complex”in front of “carbohydrate,”it’s to imply it’s superior to a simple carb. Problem is, an apple is a simple carb, as are lots of healthy, nutritious foods. And white bread, long used as a worst-case example of food processing, is complex. A better word for complex carbs is starch. Starches are found in most of the foods we eat: cereal grains (wheat, corn, rice, oats), tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams), and beans. Even bananas start out with some starch, which turns to glucose and fructose as they ripen. From that list of foods, you can’t make any blanket statements about the nutritious qualities of starches. You find them in both the most and least processed foods, from pastries to baked potatoes.

Again, thank you (as well as, all who are helping me to learn more about a healthy lifestyle)