40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• teachergal71
    teachergal71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I am new to this forum and very excited to discover people in my stage of life.

I am a 43 year old mom of 3, moderately fit (by my standards) and trying to get back into shape, lose the weight that has slowly crept up on me over the past 15 years, and find my energy again.

I discovered MFP at the end of last summer and lost the first 15 pounds, but holidays, a get away with hubby, and busy life have all been my excuses for starting to gain back again.

I have another 10 pounds to go and I look forward to keeping up with you all.

Suggestions for those late evening "finally have a minute to relax" food cravings??
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    teachergal, sometimes I try hot tea (but not often as I don't want to be up to potty in the night) ha ha. Sometimes I do a couple dates with a little almond butter on them, sweet and a little filling. Takes care of the sweet craving. hummus and cracker or carrots. sometimes I just want a snack because someone else is having one, and I realize I really am not hungry, just used to eating a snack at that time. Trying to cut it out unless I am really hungry. Maybe some grapes, low fat cheese stick is a good one. Good luck
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning Kids,

Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Alf--Hope you have a great vacation. I know you will do well with fasting. I am sure you will do great with fasting. I went on a 9 day cruise and felt guilty for leaving my family behind. I needed to regroup so I could come back refreshed and ready to put my boxing gloves on to fight another day. Tell hubby ahead of time you plan to fast, so there are no surprises or discomfort.

Sdereski--Are you planning to run any races in 2015. I do not recall seeing a post indicating you are. Perhaps your cycling venture will supercede the races. I know you will do great.

Beeps---You photobombing....lol...Lift HEAVIER....I know you have something huge on the horizon...

Larro---You know I look forward to seeing the cats, and your adventures. You would really do well with your own reality show via youtube or cable. You have the personality for it.

3furballs--How's the new grandbaby coming along? I know you must be proud. I hope to experience it one day....Not too soon as my daughters are 13 and 16. I put in the suggestion box at the gym about a kettle ball workout. We do it for extreme fit, but a class devoted to it would be a challenge for me.

Kellysue--Glad hubby is coming along and of course the photos of your handsome lil guy touched my heart. You're my inspiration as you have not allowed your trials and adversities totally take you down. You ROCK in my book.

Mommylern5--Your daughter is very talented. I know you are proud.

CG--I know you are up to some kind of adventure. When was the last time you had your bike out?

Ruby--Thinking about you...How are you coming along?

Kate--How are you coming along? Sorry about the baby and her injury. Hope she is recovering.

I lost 5 pounds and have 15 or so to go. I said 15 initially, but decided I needed a 5 pound buffer for TOM or those days chocolate keeps calling my name. I took a new class last week call interval burn. That was a grueling 30 minutes and I loved the challenge. Tonight I am going up on the antics. I am taking that class again and then walk out and train with my trainer. My body needs a shock and awe campaign and this should do it for today.

If I forgot you, forgive me.

Have a great day everyone.....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, but I don't eat clean, I like it dirty. Also why I do mud runs.
  • VEelliott
    VEelliott Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Love your thread! My name is Victoria, from College Station, Texas. I am working on losing 35 pounds! I asked my doctor to help me with how to lose weight. She said I was just happy :neutral_face: But, I like to run and do Zumba. I just like food too much.

Well, I hope everyone has a great day and reach their daily goals!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I first have to comment on that amazing piece of art work! That is absolutely fabulous!
    mommy, you must be very proud!
    kellysue, so pleased to hear that your husband is starting to make great progress. Very positive news indeed! Looks like you had a great day with Jake. He is adorable!
    Carmel - no race dates yet, but am considering doing some in the fall. I haven't run in over a month and have decided not to beat myself up over it. I have been snowshoeing about 5/6x week, and doing 3 exercises classes/week. Will continue to do that until we can no longer snowshoe and then will hit the running roads again and slowly build up my mileage. My ultimate goal is to run another ultra in October, but will have to see how the training goes. Much depends on the menopausal symptoms....that is what sidetracked me last year. The hot flashes are starting to come back (they started in March last year as well and continued to come more fast and furious as the months progressed until the late fall) I apologize if this is TMI for some. ;) Am REALLY hoping that doesn't happen again. I put on a lot of weight as a result of being sidetracked and I CANNOT afford to let that happen again.
    Alf - have a wonderful vacation. I know you will do well with the IF. Sounds like you have a good plan worked out.
    3furballs - I can sympathize with the craziness of going back to work FT. Hope it all works out for everyone.
    Went for a nice snowshoe again yesterday. We are doing the trail about 15min faster than when we first started...we are getting stronger. :)
    Found a great site that rents bikes (sounds like a fantastic service they offer), but a costly one as well. Total cost for the time I will need the bike is 545 Euros!!!! I can buy a decent bike for that price. YIKES! Am still trying to determine if it will be worth paying...they deliver and pick up the bike, set it up, provide GPS and routes (will even input routes for you); panniers, waterbottle, helmets; tool kit; road side service if needed within Holland and store your luggage. I would have to pay at least $200 to transport the bike, so I can subtract that from their price and go from there. Will have to think about that.
    Funeral this morning, snowshoeing after work, then bridge tonight. Somewhere in there have to make dinner for hubby. Another full day! My husband has been working such long hours, I feel bad. We really need a vacation together, but he just can't seem to get away right now.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    Hi all,

Found a great site that rents bikes (sounds like a fantastic service they offer), but a costly one as well. Total cost for the time I will need the bike is 545 Euros!!!! I can buy a decent bike for that price. YIKES! Am still trying to determine if it will be worth paying...they deliver and pick up the bike, set it up, provide GPS and routes (will even input routes for you); panniers, waterbottle, helmets; tool kit; road side service if needed within Holland and store your luggage. I would have to pay at least $200 to transport the bike, so I can subtract that from their price and go from there. Will have to think about that.

What about buying a bike over there, then selling it when you are through with it? 545 Euros is a lot Dinero.

• larrodarro
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

I'm off to town in a few minutes. Not much of a shopping list this week, so shouldn't be a long trip.

Everyone is doing such good work toward meeting your fitness goals. I'm still skipping my AM cardio until I gain a few pounds back. The kayaking cost me all of the tenths of pounds I had gained the last few weeks. Maybe 171-172 is just my natural weight. It's crazy I didn't have any problem staying north of 230 for the last 20 years, but can't gain the two pounds to reach 173.

Got to run. Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • trish56832
    trish56832 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I'm 40, but I don't eat clean, I like it dirty. Also why I do mud runs.

Lol! Hilarious! I am guilty of struggling to clean up my act. I have made a goal to make the next 10 days starting today "cleaner" at which point I decided I need to unlock my food diary for the world to see and help me be more accountable :) as far as mud runs I have done warrior dash and Spartan. Warrior Dash is a great easy run Spartan was a challenge!
  • trish56832
    Options
    VEelliott wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Love your thread! My name is Victoria, from College Station, Texas. I am working on losing 35 pounds! I asked my doctor to help me with how to lose weight. She said I was just happy :neutral_face: But, I like to run and do Zumba. I just like food too much.

Nice to meet you ! Ugh not a very supportive reply from your MD lol! What's your BMI? I started with a BMI of 29 my doctor was not "happy" with that and either was I lol! I'm making very slow progress but doing it :) I am about 169 with a goal of 135ish so 35 pounds as well!
  • trish56832
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Will continue to do that until we can no longer snowshoe and then will hit the running roads again and slowly build up my mileage. My ultimate goal is to run another ultra in October, but will have to see how the training goes. Much depends on the menopausal symptoms....that is what sidetracked me last year. The hot flashes are starting to come back (they started in March last year as well and continued to come more fast and furious as the months progressed until the late fall) I apologize if this is TMI for some. ;) Am REALLY hoping that doesn't happen again. I put on a lot of weight as a result of being sidetracked and I CANNOT afford to let that happen again.

I think you are doing fantastic with staying active without the running! Look at your progress snowshoeing! Curious what an ultra is? How many kilometers?

I like Larros idea to buy and sell to save money! See if there is a local bike shop near your destination that sells used bikes that would rebuy before you go.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    VEelliott wrote: »

Hi welcome! You are just up the road from me. I'm in San Antonio. MFP is a good tool to get you in the right direction.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    @teachergal71‌ welcome! Are you counting calories? If you have eaten all your calories by your relax time then avoid the snacking. Try to stay away from the kitchen, get in the tub, do your nails, etc do another activity that doesn't involve snacking. I do agree with Natalie to drink tea or have a healthy snack but if you are done eating you are done. Set up your phone alarm to s "stop eating" time. That serves as a reminder. Mine is 7pm. Cravings after that? Of course, but they are mostly cravings due to boredom or just being used to eating at night. TV commercials don't help either. Ugh! I read somewhere that when hungry if you are not willing yo eat veggies or lean protein is not real hunger.

Sdereski, OMG that is expensive!!!! Holland is a beautiful country, I have good memories with my family there.

Larro, I wish I had your problem. I gain from looking at food. LOL

I did my cardio early this morning. I'm at work now abd should be working. Instead...take care!!!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did 3 miles at 5.5 running on the treadmill which beat my last record yaaay! This was my lunch salad with farm fresh boiled egg bacon bits fat free french yuummmy5ogkzmxcuunu.jpg
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OMG @mommylern5‌ that salad looks awesome! 5.5 way to go!!!!

Took an early peak at my weight tonight & am excited to see what it is tomorrow...I am down from my weight last week with dinner in my belly and two walks in tonight. Got really excited a couple of days ago when I checked in with the Naturopathic Doctor at work. She checked my waist and hip measurements, my waist was down a couple of inches but my hips were up. She told me not to worry about that because it could be just muscle. I Love Her! My buttocks is all muscle. LMHO. Anyone else realize that when you lose weight you seam to lose it from top to bottom. Odd how when we gain it is the other way. Hmmm

Really fulling breakfast idea is black beans, cooked in a dry pan until they are warm and you and smash them with a fork to make a paste (aka...refries beans. I think), you spread that on toast and top with a teaspoon of salsa. Might sound gross but it is really good and filling.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Mommy, that is a good looking lunch. You should contribute to What's for Supper???? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1216261/whats-for-supper#latest

The more the merrier.

Larro
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Down .4 this morning total 5.6 lbs :)
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    This was my lunch salad with farm fresh boiled egg bacon bits fat free french yuummmy5ogkzmxcuunu.jpg

Fantastic-looking food! The funny part was the caption that said "This image has been resized to fit in the page." ... my first though was "This salad needs to be resized to fit in my stomach!" Yummy
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    nohq0hwwfh4t.jpg
    Happy Friday all! I had training yesterday so I was not able to check in with everyone. I finished early so I decided to paint my bedroom- it looks great, but it was more than I bargained for! It took me about 4 hours total- taping moving furniture, painting, peeling tape, moving furniture back, etc. I did not get to bed until quite late and was very sore, so I skipped the workout this am, but will be back at it tomorrow morning before going to see hubby.

Thanks for all of the well wishes for hubs. He continues to do well, and hopefully will be able to come home soon!

Have a good day all!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Jackie, I always say I lose weight like a candle burning, from the top down and then it puddles around the bottom!! From knee to naval is where it likes to hang out.

Mommy, Yummy looking salad!

KellySue can I get you do come paint my livingroom? I packed up my hundreds of books months ago and have not gotten any further! I also want to replace the carpet and put new curtains in but we just bought a new van so hubby is on a tear about NO SPENDING!!