Kale = MONSTROUS GAINZ!!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    And it tastes nasty.

the other stuff was irrelevant- this is the only thing that matters.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Prove me if I am wrong but I thought watercress was the most nutritionally sound vegetable. It tops kale in the ranks by at least 7.

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Boo!! Hiss!! Oh wait, you're right. Anything's better than kale. You go, girl!

But still--bacon & peeps > kale and watercress

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

Kale belongs in a trash can. Along with the quinoa.

It might be, but I'm forced to ask, isn't kale a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:
    Kale or borecole (Brassica oleracea Acephala Group) is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered[1] to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of vegetables.

The species Brassica oleracea contains a wide variety of vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and brussels sprouts. The cultivar group Acephala also includes spring greens and collard greens, which are similar genetically. Pieris rapae is one of the best-known pests of the plant.

Fern:
    A fern is a member of a group of roughly 12,000 species[3] of vascular plants that reproduce via spores and have neither seeds nor flowers. They differ from mosses by being vascular (i.e. having water-conducting vessels). They have stems and leaves, like other vascular plants. Most ferns have what are called fiddleheads that expand into fronds, which are each delicately divided.[4]

Leptosporangiate ferns (sometimes called "true ferns") are by far the largest group, but ferns as defined here (ferns sensu lato) include horsetails, whisk ferns, marattioid ferns, and ophioglossoid ferns. This group may be referred to as monilophytes. The term pteridophyte traditionally refers to ferns plus a few other seedless vascular plants (see the classification section below), although some recent authors have used the term to refer strictly to the monilophytes.

I'm gonna go with no but I'm not a biologist and my last biology class was in 2004. Plus I never learned the plant kingdoms either in 5th grade...

I like you, but...

axJmn.gif

Yeah I know but science and learning!

Unrelated but this is cute:
    star-trek-peeps.jpg
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I eat kale cuz it's healthy. Anyone who says it tastes good is a liar. In soup its fine cuz it gets soft and easy to eat. In fruit smoothies it's good cuz it gets mashed up and fruit is yummy. I look at it as a vitamin; just swallow it down as fast as you can and let it do the work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Kale or borecole (Brassica oleracea Acephala Group) is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered[1] to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of vegetables.
    who ever in their right mind decided kale was a vegetable.

seriously. WTF
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Prove me if I am wrong but I thought watercress was the most nutritionally sound vegetable. It tops kale in the ranks by at least 7.

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:

The species Brassica oleracea contains a wide variety of vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and brussels sprouts. The cultivar group Acephala also includes spring greens and collard greens, which are similar genetically. Pieris rapae is one of the best-known pests of the plant.

Fern:
    A fern is a member of a group of roughly 12,000 species[3] of vascular plants that reproduce via spores and have neither seeds nor flowers. They differ from mosses by being vascular (i.e. having water-conducting vessels). They have stems and leaves, like other vascular plants. Most ferns have what are called fiddleheads that expand into fronds, which are each delicately divided.[4]

Leptosporangiate ferns (sometimes called "true ferns") are by far the largest group, but ferns as defined here (ferns sensu lato) include horsetails, whisk ferns, marattioid ferns, and ophioglossoid ferns. This group may be referred to as monilophytes. The term pteridophyte traditionally refers to ferns plus a few other seedless vascular plants (see the classification section below), although some recent authors have used the term to refer strictly to the monilophytes.

I'm gonna go with no but I'm not a biologist and my last biology class was in 2004. Plus I never learned the plant kingdoms either in 5th grade...

I like you, but...

axJmn.gif

Yeah I know but science and learning!

Unrelated but this is cute:
    star-trek-peeps.jpg

Since developing the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM), I've found so many awesome pics like this. There are some truly creative individuals out there. I discuss incorporating your artistic visions into your cleanse in my upcoming book The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Incorporating Your Artistic Visions Into Your Cleanses, Master Works Recreated With Peep Inspiration, A Coffeetable Book.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:

Fern:

So that's why so many people don't like kale. It's a bore.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Friends once made kale "chips" by baking the stuff.

It turned black and smelled nasty. I declined, and opened another beer.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Kale is alright stir-fried with turkey bacon..

N.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    who ever in their right mind decided kale was a vegetable.

seriously. WTF

I feel bad that you are in jail, Jo. Your snarkiness amuses me. (I just don't want to be on the receiving end.)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It has no vitamin D or B-12. It's also an incomplete protein.

And it tastes nasty.

i cant speak for the nutritional value but i will agree with the nastiness. ill stick to spinach, thanks. LOL

i made a whole pot of soup with kale in it and didnt like it :/ LOL
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, dying!
    :-D

I buzz mine through the food processor and cook it up with onion and garlic.
    Takes care of the nasty taste .
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat something that tastes nasty.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    I eat kale cuz it's healthy. Anyone who says it tastes good is a liar. In soup its fine cuz it gets soft and easy to eat. In fruit smoothies it's good cuz it gets mashed up and fruit is yummy. I look at it as a vitamin; just swallow it down as fast as you can and let it do the work.

I don't care that it's "healthy" or a "superfood" or whatever.
    It tastes gross and I'd rather eat spinach
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

I'm pretty sure it is. Kale = decoration. Ferns are decorative. Ergo, kale is a fern. QED

This was my line of reasoning. I'm not into those sciencey terms like genus and species. I find that they create artificial boundaries.

plant specieism. like racism only plant like.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i love kale. especially in chip form....but i'm pretty sure too much of it is bad for your thyroid or something.....

ocu85sz56dmr.jpg

^^^ This is pretty good.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    True story

I bought into the kale buzz last summer and planted a row in my garden.

I harvested one batch, tried it, and decided to let the rest bolt. Holy crap that stuff would NOT die...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    kale is one of mother earths most beneficial greens. Compact with more than 200% of your daily nutritional needs its only beneficial. And for those who's goal is weight loss it's very low in calories:)

I would have to eat 5.9 kilograms of kale to meet my daily calorie needs. That would include 118 times my DV of vitamin A.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I like kale fine, but not turkey bacon.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I like kale fine, but not turkey bacon.

I dont even eat pork and I agree that turkey bacon is a *kitten* sub for pork bacon
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    But, how do I use zinc oxide?
    I know! I know!