For my people --- simple tip

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Calories in and out determine weight gain/loss and macros determine if its muscle or fat.

Calories in/out is correct, but macros do not determine whether one has muscle or fat.

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein. Building muscle is slow and takes a lot of hard work and a good weight lifting program.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, but is it right? :( bummer if it isn't simple. I do like to take complex subjects and diagram them simple.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes, but is it right? :( bummer if it isn't simple. I do like to take complex subjects and diagram them simple.

Carbs are not immediately stored as fat. Carbs are first broken down into glucose, whatever glucose isn't needed by the cells is stored as glycogen. If your glycogen stores are full the body converts the sugars and stores them as triglycerides (fat). This balance of glucose, glycogen and fat is the reason that we say it is irrelevant whether we are burning fat at any given moment. Our body will keep an appropriate balance of glycogen and refill it from incoming carbs or stored triglycerides.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Carbs are not immediately stored as fat. Carbs are first broken down into glucose, whatever glucose isn't needed by the cells is stored as glycogen. If your glycogen stores are full the body converts the sugars and stores them as triglycerides (fat). This balance of glucose, glycogen and fat is the reason that we say it is irrelevant whether we are burning fat at any given moment. Our body will keep an appropriate balance of glycogen and refill it from incoming carbs or stored triglycerides.

u tockin 2 smrt 4 da fad dr ozz dyeturz.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't meant to confuse anyone :)
    Im just trying to simplified things up so everyone that is currently working or just started to work on their journey won't over think stuff.

1.Only calories in and calories out determine weight change, nothing else.

2.Macro ratios (P/C/F) determine if the weight change is due to fat or muscle.

I think he means if you lost on eating 1500 cals of twinkies a day you would have less muscle than someone losing on 1500 cals of protein a day? (And I'm obviously simplifying this as he is)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    Ugg, I've never found jokes about prison rape to be appropriate or amusing.

Stop being so an*l.

I see what you did there :blush:

It would have been slightly clearer if MFP didn't refuse to let me type the word a-n-a-l properly -_-
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Maybe when his people get here this will all make sense...

It must be taking them a while to get here from his home planet.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    post-36438-I-Guess-You-Could-Say-Things-a-S5lH.gif
  • usmcmp
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I was told there is a free nutrition class being taught in here. Is that right?

Yep. OP has all the knowledge.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Calories in and out determine weight gain/loss and macros determine if its muscle or fat.

Calories in/out is correct, but macros do not determine whether one has muscle or fat.

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Im just trying to simplified things up so everyone that is currently working or just started to work on their journey won't over think stuff.

So you do mean to still give wrong information on your second attempt LOL. You are still wrong OP.
    Alright give it a try ... I'm listening :)

Appropriate calorie deficit is for weight loss.
    Macros are for performance, hormones, growth and organ/tissue repair and function.
    Micros are for health.
    Lifting (not balls to the wall) is for lean mass retention.
    Cardio is for heart and lung health.
    Damm right I agree 100% with you maybe the word (determine) isn't the best... Here is an example ...If someone is on a severely calorie restricted diet with macros of 0/50/50 , then that person will lose a LOT of muscle. Now if change example 40/40/20 (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat)that person will reduce muscular loss. And let's be honest the goals of losing weight is to get rid of fat as well improving overall health.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    this thread has gone full circle.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein. Building muscle is slow and takes a lot of hard work and a good weight lifting program.
    maybe the word that I use isn't the best . And yes you need all 3 macronutrients -- hard work and being consistent pays off
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ... Never has my day been brightened so.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein.

So you do mean to still give wrong information on your second attempt LOL. You are still wrong OP.

Macros are for performance, hormones, growth and organ/tissue repair and function.
    Micros are for health.
    Damm right I agree 100% with you maybe the word (determine) isn't the best... Here is an example ...If someone is on a severely calorie restricted diet with macros of 0/50/50 , then that person will lose a LOT of muscle. Now if change example 40/40/20 (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat)that person will reduce muscular loss. And let's be honest the goals of losing weight is to get rid of fat as well improving overall health.

Is that a guarantee regardless of workout regimen?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCgRtka5KqUC7qxa8ZzZlsGEOZ4eaiqAIFPVje5Yk_Fwrrq4sR4g
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Micros are for health.

But that person still has to be doing some form of resistance/strength training to preserve that muscle, right? Take me for example, I'm getting adequate protein, but skimping on the strength stuff with my exercise, so probably not retaining as much lean mass as I'd ideally like to (and yes, I really need to get onto that!).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Micros are for health.

Is that a guarantee regardless of workout regimen?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCgRtka5KqUC7qxa8ZzZlsGEOZ4eaiqAIFPVje5Yk_Fwrrq4sR4g

Bro, DYE5 0/50/50 Diet?

Dude, that's totes possible...if I only ate rice and coconut oil.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Who is on second but what is #2 again? And IDK is on third. . . .go.