Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Go back to sleep M2M. LOL!!!!! Let us know the next time you take a trip and get flight reservations.....

Smoking or non?
    Just remember that there's no stopping in the white zone.

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    too good.....
  • curlylocks302
    curlylocks302 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This has become one of my favorite threads on the internet.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    This has become one of my favorite threads on the internet.

This thread gave me a drinking problem...
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Just don't have the fish with your drink.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh this thread. Glad you didn't bring your own ranch dressing OP. Hope the christian military dude was nice.

He was great. We had our second date yesterday and we are already working on the third date. I am excited about it.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Breathe through your nose...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

Surely you can't be serious! This has become an Airplane thread in your absence.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.

My original post had nothing to do with calories. Calories only came up because people told me calorie deficits were the only thing that mattered. When I ordered the meal that was probably loaded with things I didn't want (between the buns and the fries) I had taken into consideration what you guys said about one meal not hurting because being too health conscious on a first date would be weird and how I would still lose weight even if I ate crap food. I also had justified the food choice to myself by saying it was the only thing I ate that day anyway so the deficit was still there. I asked if lying was okay because I remember one girl telling me that she would do that to avoid dairy in her meals and was wondering if I could say the same to make sure they didn't add sugar to my meals. If I was just going to do it, I wouldn't have asked first. Everything else (drama) resulted from peoe getting on their soap boxes feeling the need to preach and suddenly I got stuck having to defend all my actions. No one here even bothered to consider that everyone is different and maybe for some of us, we find success in short periods of fasting or some of us are conscience about all the ingredients that are in our foods at home (I learned the hard way, thatentality is hard to carry over into a restaurant. Especially when the menu has no info on anything it serves and the guy in front of you is so awesome that health isn't worth looking weird over). You say I am the only dramatic one here but in all reality, I am only responding to what others are saying.

You really should just stop. I'm sure you are normally a rational and logical person but it's clouded here by your defensiveness. Go back and reread the entire thread. Pretend you didn't start it but someone else whom you don't know. Come back and let us know what you think.

My arguments are only all over the place because the attacks are all over the place. I may have had a few times where I had to go back and explain what I was saying to begin with but I haven't contradicted anything I have said.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

Surely you can't be serious! This has become an Airplane thread in your absence.

Well don't drink too much or you may find yourself in AA mr. "This thread have me a drinking problem."
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.

My original post had nothing to do with calories. Calories only came up because people told me calorie deficits were the only thing that mattered. When I ordered the meal that was probably loaded with things I didn't want (between the buns and the fries) I had taken into consideration what you guys said about one meal not hurting because being too health conscious on a first date would be weird and how I would still lose weight even if I ate crap food. I also had justified the food choice to myself by saying it was the only thing I ate that day anyway so the deficit was still there. I asked if lying was okay because I remember one girl telling me that she would do that to avoid dairy in her meals and was wondering if I could say the same to make sure they didn't add sugar to my meals. If I was just going to do it, I wouldn't have asked first. Everything else (drama) resulted from peoe getting on their soap boxes feeling the need to preach and suddenly I got stuck having to defend all my actions. No one here even bothered to consider that everyone is different and maybe for some of us, we find success in short periods of fasting or some of us are conscience about all the ingredients that are in our foods at home (I learned the hard way, thatentality is hard to carry over into a restaurant. Especially when the menu has no info on anything it serves and the guy in front of you is so awesome that health isn't worth looking weird over). You say I am the only dramatic one here but in all reality, I am only responding to what others are saying.

You really should just stop. I'm sure you are normally a rational and logical person but it's clouded here by your defensiveness. Go back and reread the entire thread. Pretend you didn't start it but someone else whom you don't know. Come back and let us know what you think.

My arguments are only all over the place because the attacks are all over the place. I may have had a few times where I had to go back and explain what I was saying to begin with but I haven't contradicted anything I have said.

There haven't been any attacks. There were multiple injections of fact to counter what you said ... but no attacks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

No one attacked you. Let me just copy what I said earlier:

While it is common on threads such as these to find it wavering off course, or getting hijacked by others who want to debate something, here the meandering path of random, misguided, erroneous, and defensive posts have had only person guiding this discussion...
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I actually just realized that the original post was last week. Please ignore my comments below.

Okay, I think that you are WAY overthinking this. Like other posters have said, you can enjoy one meal and not have everything you have worked hard suffer or you can get a really good workout in earlier in the day to "make up" for what you are going to eat.
    Every restaurant nowadays, especially if it is a chain restaurant, usually has some "lighter menu" you can order from. And, if for some reason they don't, just ask for a salad with either dressing on the side or no dressing at all. I haven't been to a single place where you can't order a salad.

Bottom line, don't complicate an already stressful (first date jitters!) situation, enjoy yourself and make a healthy choice with the options you are given.

Oh, and please don't bring your own salad dressing. Not only is that kind of weird, but as someone who used to work in the food industry, bringing in your own "ingredients" is pretty much frowned upon by any restaurant.

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What if you chose the restaraunt? Or have a few choices in mind and you could ask him what he prefers? That's what I would do, and/or eat something at home and then have a salad or a small portion of whatever at dinner.

This is a big concern I have about dating again. That's how I gained a bunch of weight in the first place, so I'm hoping my dates will be centered around activities like hiking/biking/bowling... Not food, food, food. Good luck on your date!

Although I am coming in late on this topic, I would not ask for things on the side that I plan on not using, how wasteful!
    I remember 1 time (late evening) going to a restaurant where they ran out of their fresh parmesan.
    Not long before that Id noticed when a table was finished w/ their meal theyd left food w/ parmesan and it wasn't just lightly coated, they had quite a bit.
    It was 1 of those fancy Italian places that freshly grate it and you tell them when its enough.
    Also, if OP was stressing about this and that then why not go for a picnic where she has full control.
    That way If there is a 2nd date, she's gotten to know him some about what to expect on the 2nd!

• CorinnaShaw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well considering I have lost massive weight eating close to 2000 calories a day when I was low carbing versus the near non existent weight loss I get from calorie counting, I am going to have to disagree with you.
    Umm. If you weren't counting calories, how did you know you were eating "close to 2000 calories"?
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First off, stop stressing. It's ONE meal just don't go overboard. And secondly as someone with food allergies its pretty aggravating that you would just "pretend" to have a food allergy. Who does that?!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    You didn't read the whole thread, did you? We're now approaching the third date, she likes him a lot and there's a fight going on about her diabetes. Also, Airplane jokes. That's why I'm here.