Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    You didn't read the whole thread, did you? We're now approaching the third date, she likes him a lot and there's a fight going on about her diabetes. Also, Airplane jokes. That's why I'm here.

Haha apparently I should go back and read the whole thing! I got annoyed at the ignorance and had to comment...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    You didn't read the whole thread, did you? We're now approaching the third date, she likes him a lot and there's a fight going on about her diabetes. Also, Airplane jokes. That's why I'm here.

Haha apparently I should go back and read the whole thing! I got annoyed at the ignorance and had to comment...

In that case ... it might not be worth reading the entire thread. If you do, it will annoy you. Just a friendly warning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Apparently I know nothing about diabetes.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
    How long are you daily fasts between meals from one day to the next?
    What's your slow release, Lantus?
    What's your correction rate?

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levemir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Well considering I have lost massive weight eating close to 2000 calories a day when I was low carbing versus the near non existent weight loss I get from calorie counting, I am going to have to disagree with you.
    Umm. If you weren't counting calories, how did you know you were eating "close to 2000 calories"?

I counted them a few times out of curiosity. I guess the appropriate thing to say would be I wasn't limiting my calories.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So, like, is there actually a point to all this? I guess the only thing that really matters is if you had the steak or the fish...
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
    How long are you daily fasts between meals from one day to the next?
    What's your slow release, Lantus?
    What's your correction rate?

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levimir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.

You take 8 units at bight but don't eat until 3 or 4 pm the next day so how exactly do you gain control of what you BGL does? How do you basically fast for 24 hours per day and gain control over your diabetes? You doctor approves of 24 fasts daily?

I said I take my long acting insulin twice a day. (12pm and 12am) And my doctor knows I skip breakfast because he is the one who told me to when he realized that no matter what a ate, solid foods were causing me spikes.

I do have one concern with my current schedule and that is that I just got a new job I am starting next week and I will have to be up by 5am everyday. I foresee a major shift in my scheduled times so I may spend a week or two figuring it out again.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JdZbDDF.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hey!!!! Why is your gift backwards? ^^^^^^

bc34464d_simpsons-gifs-grandpa-leaves.gif

Have no ideal.
  • curlylocks302
    curlylocks302 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This has become one of my favorite threads on the internet.

This thread gave me a drinking problem...

As long as you weigh the booze before you log it, it shouldn't be a problem.

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Cant you just request the restaraunt to not put in certain things?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Cant you just request the restaraunt to not put in certain things?

You can but I wouldn't trust them.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    @MrM27‌: Type 3 diabetes case study.

Patient with hx abd trauma s/p violation of rule #3 -- they removed her pancreas. In surgical ICU for 3 months with no insulin drip. No insulin at all. BG WNL.

Because God. I assumed it was an isolated anomaly. But here we see a second presentation.

CME credit: however many hours of your life you can never get back because of this thread.
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Read the first 5 posts and discovered one of two things. OP is a 1-troll. 2- person who needs to keep regular life in check with food habits / see a health care professional about obsessions / compulsions.

Please don't bring your own ranch.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    @MrM27‌: Type 3 diabetes case study.

Patient with hx abd trauma s/p violation of rule #3 -- they removed her pancreas. In surgical ICU for 3 months with no insulin drip. No insulin at all. BG WNL.

Because God. I assumed it was an isolated anomaly. But here we see a second presentation.

CME credit: however many hours of your life you can never get back because of this thread.

lol.