Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• curlylocks302
    curlylocks302 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    People, this date has been over for days. I think they're already on their third date or something.

(patiently waiting for zombie thread resurrection in 2.5 years when OP and Christian military dude are married and there are no more pretenses about food, dieting, etc).

Ugh, do you even plan on living during the zombie apocalypse ? Carbs will be in high demand.

1cardio.jpg

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    People, this date has been over for days. I think they're already on their third date or something.

(patiently waiting for zombie thread resurrection in 2.5 years when OP and Christian military dude are married and there are no more pretenses about food, dieting, etc).

I look forward to her "My husband thinks my obsession about food is unhealthy and he's tired of me lying to waitstaff about non-existent food allergies. What do I do???!?!"
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I don't see the happily ever after ending occuring.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

I look forward to her "My husband thinks my obsession about food is unhealthy and he's tired of me lying to waitstaff about non-existent food allergies. What do I do???!?!"
    "Also, I'm tired of tricking him into looking the other way so I can put my own ranch dressing on my salad."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh, I missed a gem not reading along the whole time, didn't I?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

"Also, I'm tired of tricking him into looking the other way so I can put my own ranch dressing on my salad."

So happy you guys took my subtle lead in...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I'll take:

"I've tried every dieting trick in the book: low carb, VLC, clean eating, paleo, keto, IF, etc and I just can't lose the weight or get my diabetes under control"

for $800 Alex
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Oh, I missed a gem not reading along the whole time, didn't I?

It's not too late!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'll take:

"I've tried every dieting trick in the book: low carb, VLC, clean eating, paleo, keto, IF, etc and I just can't lose the weight or get my diabetes under control"

for $800 Alex

"Why did he volunteer for a deployment?"
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most eaterys now have fatfree- dressings and low carb menu items - alot of the chain rest.. have a lot of logged meals here on mfp. I eat out alot and try to log as carfully as possible...
    also enjoy your night out, making up stories and whatever to make things easier now will make things difficult later.
    stay away from the appitizers and focus on you meal, you can request any sauces/dressings on the side instead of ontop. and No butter on you vegg- just steamed- I do it all the time...

make the losing weight journey worth remebering :wink: and happy/ makes the keeping off part easier, when you dont beat your self up so bad...
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
    How long are you daily fasts between meals from one day to the next?
    What's your slow release, Lantus?
    What's your correction rate?

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levimir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.

You take 8 units at bight but don't eat until 3 or 4 pm the next day so how exactly do you gain control of what you BGL does? How do you basically fast for 24 hours per day and gain control over your diabetes? You doctor approves of 24 fasts daily?

I said I take my long acting insulin twice a day. (12pm and 12am) And my doctor knows I skip breakfast because he is the one who told me to when he realized that no matter what a ate, solid foods were causing me spikes.

I do have one concern with my current schedule and that is that I just got a new job I am starting next week and I will have to be up by 5am everyday. I foresee a major shift in my scheduled times so I may spend a week or two figuring it out again.

Wait, so your schedule now looks like this?

3 or 4pm you eat.
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units
    3 or 4pm you eat
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units

Is that correct?

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes I snack before bedtime but I already said what kind of things I snack on.

Why are you taking doses of insulin during a 24 or almost 24 hour fast? Your doctor told you to do that?

I don't know if this might ease some of the confusion:

The Levimir she is taking is considered long-acting or basal insulin (Lantus is also a long-acting insulin). Basal insulin's intent is to make sure there is always some form of insulin within our bodies to counteract the liver releasing glycogen throughout the day and night. Missing a basal insulin dose or experiencing an insulin pump failure (in insulin pumps, the basal insulin is replaced by small doses of rapid-acting insulin infused every 5-15 minutes) puts the person at a very high risk of going into diabetic ketoacidosis, because the cells within the body cannot use glucose as fuel (remember: insulin is the key that unlocks glucose into the cells).

Rapid-acting insulin is typically called bolus insulin and can include brand names such as Humalog, Novolog, or Aprida. The purpose of bolus insulin is to cover any carbohydrates consumed throughout the day and to correct elevated blood sugar levels. Technically, if a diabetic were to eat very few grams of carbohydrates and had BG levels below their correction point, then they would not need any bolus insulin. NO MATTER WHAT, even if they do not need any bolus insulin, THEY MUST TAKE A BASAL INSULIN INJECTION TO AVOID GOING INTO DKA!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Who are you kidding?

This thread is going to be eternally bumped daily by people who haven't read the thread and are still offering OP advice on how to survive the date.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Most eaterys now have fatfree- dressings and low carb menu items - alot of the chain rest.. have a lot of logged meals here on mfp. I eat out alot and try to log as carfully as possible...
    also enjoy your night out, making up stories and whatever to make things easier now will make things difficult later.
    stay away from the appitizers and focus on you meal, you can request any sauces/dressings on the side instead of ontop. and No butter on you vegg- just steamed- I do it all the time...

make the losing weight journey worth remebering :wink: and happy/ makes the keeping off part easier, when you dont beat your self up so bad...

^^ QED
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    FYI, I am married M2M. And not looking.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this thread is still going on? Aren't we way passed what the original topic was? I'm just sayin....
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
    How long are you daily fasts between meals from one day to the next?
    What's your slow release, Lantus?
    What's your correction rate?

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levimir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.

You take 8 units at bight but don't eat until 3 or 4 pm the next day so how exactly do you gain control of what you BGL does? How do you basically fast for 24 hours per day and gain control over your diabetes? You doctor approves of 24 fasts daily?

I said I take my long acting insulin twice a day. (12pm and 12am) And my doctor knows I skip breakfast because he is the one who told me to when he realized that no matter what a ate, solid foods were causing me spikes.

I do have one concern with my current schedule and that is that I just got a new job I am starting next week and I will have to be up by 5am everyday. I foresee a major shift in my scheduled times so I may spend a week or two figuring it out again.

Wait, so your schedule now looks like this?

3 or 4pm you eat.
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units
    3 or 4pm you eat
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units

Is that correct?

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes I snack before bedtime but I already said what kind of things I snack on.

Why are you taking doses of insulin during a 24 or almost 24 hour fast? Your doctor told you to do that?

He told me to split my long acting insulin in half. That is why I take 8 at noon and 8 at midnight instead 16 all at once. And yes, I do take doses of insulin as needed even if it is when I am not eating. It depends on when I need it and it is the number of the meter that dictates that. Not the number on the clock. And I would hardly call it a 24 hour fast if I am eating anything else throughout the day. Like I said, I usually snack or have a tiny meal before bed. Like today, I went out to dinner with this guy around 5:30pm (I had a slice of cheese, 3 olives, and a cup of coffee at 1pm because I felt like I wanted it) and now at 11:30pm as I am typing this, I just finished off a cutie and 5 pieces of salame because I felt like a snack. It doesn't even come close to a meal but dinner was huge so I don't really need it.

How huge was the meal? How many calories?

It was Panda Express. Half and half with beef broccoli and kungpow chicken. I know that was probably like 2 days worth of food but I am enjoying my time with this guy too much to diet. I know I need to put a stop to it eventually. All this eating out has gotta be bad for both my waistline and his wallet.

I'm sorry but none of it makes sense. You don't even know how much you ate but claim it was enough for 2 days and when you list the things you're eating per day you barely eat any food. Then this whole fasting for 24 hours a day, 2 insulin shots during along with your statements about diabetes that just aren't true makes your stories not believable at all. The things you way you do to control your diabetes makes no sense and is dangerous for people here that don't know better to read.

Have you seen the sizes of the boxes that Panda Express gives you? They are gigantic. Me and my date probably could have split the box.

Anyway, take it how you want it. If you dislike how I manage my disease so much that you need to convince yourself that I don't really have it then suit yourself but then you probably shouldn't waste your time on this thread anymore.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options

We had our third date. Umm... To be completely honest, our fourth date is coming up tonight and we are already talking about meeting on Friday too.