Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    @MrM27‌: Type 3 diabetes case study.

Patient with hx abd trauma s/p violation of rule #3 -- they removed her pancreas. In surgical ICU for 3 months with no insulin drip. No insulin at all. BG WNL.

Because God. I assumed it was an isolated anomaly. But here we see a second presentation.

CME credit: however many hours of your life you can never get back because of this thread.

Well I have no idea what you're talking about. Especially since I see no link, no case study, not even the title for me to find it on my own. Whatever it is I wouldn't go as far as calling it Type 3 diabetes.

Thank you for the potential CME credit but I've already completed my required classes and I've moved onto FEMA Incident Command and FEMA HAZMAT. Also, you're not accredited so it wouldn't count.

I'd offer you an olive branch, but I see you already have one firmly lodged where the sun don't shine. Have fun with that.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

Does this answer your question?
    How long are you daily fasts between meals from one day to the next?
    What's your slow release, Lantus?
    What's your correction rate?

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levimir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.

You take 8 units at bight but don't eat until 3 or 4 pm the next day so how exactly do you gain control of what you BGL does? How do you basically fast for 24 hours per day and gain control over your diabetes? You doctor approves of 24 fasts daily?

I said I take my long acting insulin twice a day. (12pm and 12am) And my doctor knows I skip breakfast because he is the one who told me to when he realized that no matter what a ate, solid foods were causing me spikes.

I do have one concern with my current schedule and that is that I just got a new job I am starting next week and I will have to be up by 5am everyday. I foresee a major shift in my scheduled times so I may spend a week or two figuring it out again.

Wait, so your schedule now looks like this?

3 or 4pm you eat.
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units
    3 or 4pm you eat
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units

Is that correct?

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes I snack before bedtime but I already said what kind of things I snack on.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Cant you just request the restaraunt to not put in certain things?

You can but I wouldn't trust them.

Exactly why I asked if lying was okay. Because I assumed they would do it anyway if you just asked nicely.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

Patient with hx abd trauma s/p violation of rule #3 -- they removed her pancreas. In surgical ICU for 3 months with no insulin drip. No insulin at all. BG WNL.

Because God. I assumed it was an isolated anomaly. But here we see a second presentation.

CME credit: however many hours of your life you can never get back because of this thread.

Type 3 diabetes? What? I have heard of justational diabetes which results from a pregnancy and goes away after but never type 3 diabetes.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

Type 3 diabetes? What? I have heard of justational diabetes which results from a pregnancy and goes away after but never type 3 diabetes.

Also my understanding is the pancreas actually produces 3 different hormones for metabolizing things so if she had her pancreas removed, I would imagine she would have more problems than just diabetes.
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

That's what happens when you learn to control your diabetes. You need less insulin. You know, when you go into your doctor's office and he looks at your numbers and says "good, now let's reduce the insulin you are on."

I mean seriously!!!!! You can not be serious at this point. This has to be some sort of joke. It has to be. Hopefully. I pray it is.

Please explain to us all how much "less" insulin less is. As in can you go some days without insulin shots? How do you learn to control your diabetes by controlling what your pancreas does?

Well I went from 1unit per 6 grams of carbs down to 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs. I am working on getting it to 1per 15 now. And I always take insulin everyday but not all my meal choices need insulin. Sometimes I do so well avoiding carbs that I don't need any insulin for food and may just take like 5 units in the afternoon to stop a BG spike if I notice my BG going up. I would take that with my 8 units of long acting insulin (the insulin that takes hours to go through your system so that there is always insulin in your system in order to combat possible highs.) I also take an extra 8 units of long acting insulin before bed so my BG doesn't rise while I sleep.

On the day of my date, I went hiking on an empty stomach. (Not by choice. I spent a lot of time doing my hair that day not anticipating we were going out on a hike before dinner) then we went hiking. I was hungry but my BG was only 86 which is on the low end of healthy so I skipped drinking a juice bottle since we were going to eat. I ordered something counter to all my concerns, but as I said many times before, I thought about what you guys said and decided I didn't want to look like a weird health nut and also I justifies it as it was the only thing I had eaten that day. I guesstimated the carbs since there was no nutritional menu they could give me. I figured about 70 carbs between the fries and the buns since they were an the small side portion wise (that bother was fat and it was all meat, veggies, and cheese) which means I would have given myself 6 units of insulin and my BG did fine the rest of the day.

I wait at least 2 hours after waking up to eat. Usually I wait longer and have my largest meal at lunch time or some time between lunch and dinner (usually between 3-4pm) I always have coffee in the morning with either coconut oil or coconut milk in it I can't do regular creamer because mills and creams (or ice cream or yogurt or things like that) cause me to get bad acne. I get cystic acne on my back and neck and zits on my face and neck. ( I have been using regular cream in my coffee all week because I am out of coconut milk and I have a zit on my lower lip and on my chin. They don't hurt anymore though.) If o eat anything else for the day, it is usually a light snack close to bed time like a little bit of fruit or veggies or a slice of cheese or some leftover meat.

My long acting insulin is Levimir (which hasn't caused me major weight gain like Lantus did) and my correction rate is 1 unit per every 25 over 150. I don't usually need correction doses though. My fast acting insulin is Apidra.

You take 8 units at bight but don't eat until 3 or 4 pm the next day so how exactly do you gain control of what you BGL does? How do you basically fast for 24 hours per day and gain control over your diabetes? You doctor approves of 24 fasts daily?

I said I take my long acting insulin twice a day. (12pm and 12am) And my doctor knows I skip breakfast because he is the one who told me to when he realized that no matter what a ate, solid foods were causing me spikes.

I do have one concern with my current schedule and that is that I just got a new job I am starting next week and I will have to be up by 5am everyday. I foresee a major shift in my scheduled times so I may spend a week or two figuring it out again.

3 or 4pm you eat.
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units
    3 or 4pm you eat
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units

Is that correct?

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes I snack before bedtime but I already said what kind of things I snack on.

Why are you taking doses of insulin during a 24 or almost 24 hour fast? Your doctor told you to do that?

He told me to split my long acting insulin in half. That is why I take 8 at noon and 8 at midnight instead 16 all at once. And yes, I do take doses of insulin as needed even if it is when I am not eating. It depends on when I need it and it is the number of the meter that dictates that. Not the number on the clock. And I would hardly call it a 24 hour fast if I am eating anything else throughout the day. Like I said, I usually snack or have a tiny meal before bed. Like today, I went out to dinner with this guy around 5:30pm (I had a slice of cheese, 3 olives, and a cup of coffee at 1pm because I felt like I wanted it) and now at 11:30pm as I am typing this, I just finished off a cutie and 5 pieces of salame because I felt like a snack. It doesn't even come close to a meal but dinner was huge so I don't really need it.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

3 or 4pm you eat.
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units
    3 or 4pm you eat
    Midnight 8 units
    Noon 8 units

Is that correct?

Why are you taking doses of insulin during a 24 or almost 24 hour fast? Your doctor told you to do that?

He told me to split my long acting insulin in half. That is why I take 8 at noon and 8 at midnight instead 16 all at once. And yes, I do take doses of insulin as needed even if it is when I am not eating. It depends on when I need it and it is the number of the meter that dictates that. Not the number on the clock. And I would hardly call it a 24 hour fast if I am eating anything else throughout the day. Like I said, I usually snack or have a tiny meal before bed. Like today, I went out to dinner with this guy around 5:30pm (I had a slice of cheese, 3 olives, and a cup of coffee at 1pm because I felt like I wanted it) and now at 11:30pm as I am typing this, I just finished off a cutie and 5 pieces of salame because I felt like a snack. It doesn't even come close to a meal but dinner was huge so I don't really need it.

How huge was the meal? How many calories?

It was Panda Express. Half and half with beef broccoli and kungpow chicken. I know that was probably like 2 days worth of food but I am enjoying my time with this guy too much to diet. I know I need to put a stop to it eventually. All this eating out has gotta be bad for both my waistline and his wallet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Exactly why I asked if lying was okay. Because I assumed they would do it anyway if you just asked nicely.

You need strangers on the internet to tell you whether or not it is okay to lie to get what you want?

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.

My original post had nothing to do with calories. Calories only came up because people told me calorie deficits were the only thing that mattered. When I ordered the meal that was probably loaded with things I didn't want (between the buns and the fries) I had taken into consideration what you guys said about one meal not hurting because being too health conscious on a first date would be weird and how I would still lose weight even if I ate crap food. I also had justified the food choice to myself by saying it was the only thing I ate that day anyway so the deficit was still there. I asked if lying was okay because I remember one girl telling me that she would do that to avoid dairy in her meals and was wondering if I could say the same to make sure they didn't add sugar to my meals. If I was just going to do it, I wouldn't have asked first. Everything else (drama) resulted from peoe getting on their soap boxes feeling the need to preach and suddenly I got stuck having to defend all my actions. No one here even bothered to consider that everyone is different and maybe for some of us, we find success in short periods of fasting or some of us are conscience about all the ingredients that are in our foods at home (I learned the hard way, thatentality is hard to carry over into a restaurant. Especially when the menu has no info on anything it serves and the guy in front of you is so awesome that health isn't worth looking weird over). You say I am the only dramatic one here but in all reality, I am only responding to what others are saying.

I believe the typical response when people have helped you with a pickle is "Thank You" :)

No comments on your condition and the appropriateness of your management of it, as I know nothing about it
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As an outsider looking in, with no prior knowledge of diabetes other than my mother has it so I know what it is like for her, I think OP has made it clear that what she does with her medication works for her, and I have seen no suggestion of her advocating her behaviour to others; in fact. I think she has been very patient in putting up with the constant interrogation and giving you the information you are asking her for.

Although, I will say OP, you do seem to have an unhealthy relationship (or unrealistic one) with food and may want to get some advice from a doctor or nutritionist, to make sure you are being safe. Don't want to be giving yourself problems in the long run!

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite restaurants is Longhorn Steakhouse. BUT one of the things they do to finish off a steak is put a big pat of butter on it and put it in the oven. When it gets to me, it looks like it's swimming in it. I've gone there enough now that the waitress knows I want them to go easy on the butter, and I don't want it all over the plate swimming.

You can ask how things are prepared, and ask for modifications. I know it sounds weird, but I also order kids meals a lot. Smaller portion sizes. I remember going to Olive Garden with a bunch of co-workers. They all giggled/smirked when I ordered a kids meal of ravioli with meat sauce. When it came, it was about 1/3 less than the normal size portion, and a perfect size for me. Then they all got their OMG portions and most of them ended up taking home leftovers because it was so much.

Also realize that if you go to Olive Garden - the salad dressing is OMG bad. The Pasta Fagioli soup is SO much better - it's like an Italian chili - it has meat, beans, shredded carrots, celery, onion, little bits of pasta. On WW, the soup is 3 points for a decent bowl. The salad is 7 points for a tiny bowl.

I'm sure you've thought about all of this already...but for what it's worth....
  • dcorcion
    dcorcion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat only a portion of your meal. Maybe just eat half. Take the rest home and eat it the next day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People, this date has been over for days. I think they're already on their third date or something.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Tincan, did M2M tell u to call me Shirley? My name is Don. And I am not jiving you...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    People, this date has been over for days. I think they're already on their third date or something.

(patiently waiting for zombie thread resurrection in 2.5 years when OP and Christian military dude are married and there are no more pretenses about food, dieting, etc).