How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps coming back low is IRON.

not for nothing but my iron is routinely low- low enough they won't let me donate blood 75% of the time- but not so low they will give me the real iron pills.... So I eat lots of red meat- and a fair amount of veggies- sometimes I take an iron pill- sometimes not. It's fine- not a crisis. so unless you're seriously struggling with something I wouldn't sweat it.

And if you are- you're going to need more than cheerios to fix that.

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I'm late to this party too, but I just had to ask...

OP why do you keep talking about iron percentages? Isn't that going to be confusing and misleading, because it is measuring iron as a percentage of the serving size of the food? Wouldn't a more objective, quantitative measurement be to have a total number of milligrams of iron that you need to reach every day, and then you can look at the number of mgs of Fe in different foods and add it all up to achieve that number?

Also, seriously, you are too tired to put on makeup? And yet you are asking about how to make cheerios taste better? If I was so anemic that I had to sit down to get dressed and couldn't put on makeup, I would be eating a surf and turf of beef liver and sardines with a side of collard greens and I would take the biggest iron pill I could find.

Iron in milligrams confuses me. And most items just list the percentages. It's a lot easier for me to calculate percentages.

Yes I am too tired to put on makeup. I used to wear it everyday. Now I never wear it. Not at all. I used to sunbathe all summer. Now I never lay out anymore. I'm too exhausted to put sunscreen on. I guess you and I are different cause there's no way I can eat beef liver.

Have your Vit D levels been tested as well?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this party too, but I just had to ask...

OP why do you keep talking about iron percentages? Isn't that going to be confusing and misleading, because it is measuring iron as a percentage of the serving size of the food? Wouldn't a more objective, quantitative measurement be to have a total number of milligrams of iron that you need to reach every day, and then you can look at the number of mgs of Fe in different foods and add it all up to achieve that number?

Also, seriously, you are too tired to put on makeup? And yet you are asking about how to make cheerios taste better? If I was so anemic that I had to sit down to get dressed and couldn't put on makeup, I would be eating a surf and turf of beef liver and sardines with a side of collard greens and I would take the biggest iron pill I could find.

Iron in milligrams confuses me. And most items just list the percentages. It's a lot easier for me to calculate percentages.

Yes I am too tired to put on makeup. I used to wear it everyday. Now I never wear it. Not at all. I used to sunbathe all summer. Now I never lay out anymore. I'm too exhausted to put sunscreen on. I guess you and I are different cause there's no way I can eat beef liver.

I wouldn't normally eat beef liver, or sardines, or collard greens. In fact, those all seem so repulsive, I would just go out and get an iron supplement and be done with it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    People are saying something is seriously wrong because you refuse to take the obvious and reasonable steps to correct the problem, and instead latch on to weird measures like trying to eat more cereal.

What would those steps be BESIDES taking an iron supplement? I've read about so many people who can't tolerate iron supplements so they don't take them. Do you think they just suffer from anemia? No, I'm sure they find a way through food.

It's risk/benefit. Most reasonable people, if they had such a deficiency that they couldn't do everyday things like get around without extreme exhaustion, would find a way to make the supplements work (taking them with food, stool softeners, etc), rather than trying to find a way to avoid them. People with mild anemia may do fine eating Cheerios instead of a mild supplement. People whose "body can't tolerate" their severe iron deficiency put on their grown-up hats and do what needs to be done to correct it.

nods.

grown up hats.

and cheerios.

it's like the hookey pookey- what it's all about.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    has anyone called troll yet?
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the posts (12 pages, wow), but you need to combine iron-rich foods with vitamin C for maximum absorbancy of the iron into your blood stream. My son was anemic as an infant and had to take the liquid supplements for 3 months, and he was barely anemic. I would take a supplement.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Those of you who said I need to incorporate more naturally containing iron rich foods like meat, beans, dark chocolate, etc are right. I'm still gonna have my cereal but I need to add in more naturally containing iron foods.

I understand some of you are frustrated with me but there's no reason to be rude and keep making comments regarding my age. Obviously a 13 year old wouldn't be this low in iron.

To the person who said to just take a liquid iron supplement, that is not an option for me. I have braces (and yes I am an adult with braces) and my orthodontist has advised me against it. Liquid iron turns your teeth black. Even my regular doctor told me it stains your teeth and tastes horrible and she wouldn't do it.

I have an important question. I know that red meat is rich in iron and it can correct anemia. I have looked up red meat and the iron content varies from 10% to 15% per serving. The ground turkey meat I eat has 8% iron per serving. I don't see a huge difference here. So why would red meat work and ground turkey meat not work?

A couple weeks ago I had pasta with turkey meatballs and lima beans. I had more of the meat and less of the pasta. I normally have more pasta than meat. I also had a Vitamin C rich popsicle for dessert. I felt like I could breathe better and it lasted a couple days. I could stand up while getting dressed instead of sitting on my bed. I felt so much better! So does ground turkey meat work? Do you just have to eat a lot of it? I'm not understanding what it is about red meat since the iron percentages are close.

Are you kidding me?!!!!!! That's the bullshitiest excuse i've ever heard! I had braces for 4 years as an adult, taking liquid iron supplement DOES NOT turn your teeth black. Every excuse is good not to take a supplement. Your mental issue is making you miserable, irrational and unhealthy. Seek professional healp.

Also I've never heard of a doctor choosing a patient's taste buds and teeth aesthetics over remedying their health woes. I mean, my doctor doesn't choose to not do a blood test if it's required simply because they make me queasy and I start bawling my eyes out when it happens.

So you can't handle blood tests. See everyone has their own issues. I can handle blood tests just fine. I get a little nervous but I don't cry about it. How would you like it if someone kept attacking you cause of your issues with blood tests?

And yet I get them done when they are necessary. I plan on going for blood tests this summer to check out whether something out of whack in my body is leading to tiredness, or whether it's just a side-effect of long-term sleep deprivation combined with long-term off-and-on depression.

I pull up my big girl pants, cry it out during the blood test while they stick like 10 needles in me attempting to find a vein, and then get over it an hour later. Taking a pill is 100x less painful, if it's even painful at all.

Also I'd probably not feel anything because I'd just say "yeah I know, I'm a big baby, but at least I get them done when they are required for my fracking health"
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The only thing that keeps coming back low is IRON.

not for nothing but my iron is routinely low- low enough they won't let me donate blood 75% of the time- but not so low they will give me the real iron pills.... So I eat lots of red meat- and a fair amount of veggies- sometimes I take an iron pill- sometimes not. It's fine- not a crisis. so unless you're seriously struggling with something I wouldn't sweat it.

And if you are- you're going to need more than cheerios to fix that.

Same here and just for the record I haven't gotten my period in years.

If OP does not hear that she can make plain cheerios taste sweet and that eating them is going to fix her iron deficiency, she's gonna cut a *kitten*.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    ...and now back to the Cheerio tasting good question.....

img_5682.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.

I'm not taking birth control. Those have side effects way worse than any iron supplement. My periods aren't even heavy, they're moderate. I don't need birth control. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

Like a pound of Cheerios?

Also your aversion to pills and medication AND to food is getting ridiculous. I've been on anti-depressants, birth control, and I've taken the odd medication for other things (prescribed after procedures or OTC stuff). I had virtually no negative responses to any of these. Side-effects are POTENTIAL, they will not occur for everyone. If they do, the brand and/or amount is changed.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh wait- hold on- what are the nasty side effects of birth control? I've been on it for years- I need to know what damage I've done!!!!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think the whole anemia thing is just a cover, and OP really is just desperate to figure out how to get sugar to stick to dry Cheerios.

If that was the case, I'd just eat the Honey Nut ones. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I literally laughed out loud at the second sentence.
    That was so ironic I got scared for a moment. Like we hit some kind of max irony limit and the planet was about to implode.

I feel, reading this thread, like I may have entered an alternate dimension. Maybe one where irony has no meaning, and cheerios are the best possible source of iron...

I see what you did there.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes my Vitamin D is normal. It's in the 40's.

That's on the low end of normal. I would get a women's multi with D and Iron/Ferrous Sulfate and call it a day. "Normal" on D is between 50-150 on my paperwork. My D levels are very low and I have to take a slew of vitamins, a prescription of D, and a cholesterol med at 26. It stinks, but I make it work. Best of luck to you OP. Sometimes supplements are the end all be all.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Is an iron injection out of the question if your need is urgent?

Brilliant idea, since she said she's fine with blood tests so she should be fine with this!

Although I'm sure she'll have another excuse about why she does not want to take this route, unless she's already addressed it above.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Didn't read all the posts (12 pages, wow), but you need to combine iron-rich foods with vitamin C for maximum absorbancy of the iron into your blood stream. My son was anemic as an infant and had to take the liquid supplements for 3 months, and he was barely anemic. I would take a supplement.

she said she won't. Maybe she'll come back talking about how she hates oranges so the vitamin C thing won't happen?
    RunTimer wrote: »
    ...and now back to the Cheerio tasting good question.....

img_5682.jpg

I so thought that was mac & cheese in there o.o

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If this girl were my daughter ... I can't even.

I love the "If everyone took liquid iron, chewables wouldn't exist" argument... when she won't take either of them.

You speak of side effects for everything you mention? Spare me. They are RARE. The common one for iron is constipation and you can get around that with eating fiber and drinking water.

You are making nothing but excuses and giving into a phobia.

Stop coddling yourself and grow up.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Oh wait- hold on- what are the nasty side effects of birth control? I've been on it for years- I need to know what damage I've done!!!!

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but... they've probably stopped you from getting pregnant all those years. And possibly decreased any acne outbreaks you might otherwise have had. I'm sure there's a support group. ;)
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the trash, make bacon and eggs!
This discussion has been closed.