Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It is actually quite amazing how close we are to such things. My daughter actually just read a report at school about how the average person will have casual contact with six serial killers over their lifetime. SIX!

Edited to add that there are usually around 50 serial killers active in the States at any given time, and close to that same number in Canada....most people think of them as rare, but that is because we only hear about 1% of them......

That's an average of one per state...so it doesn't seem likely that most people would come into contact with a serial killer at all. I guess if you include connections that we have to victims, survivors, family members of killers, etc. there are many more links.

I would find that number more plausible if the definition were extended to other kinds of mass/multiple murderers. I have casual connections to three--two family killers (one male, one female) and one person who killed his parents (the father was my colleague) and then committed a school shooting. Actually, if you count political killings as a form mass murder, I have a fourth connection.

I think you've somewhat undone your own initial argument there, as casual connections is a lot more than just contact. I think the initial point was 6 in a lifetime, I'm not sure if that's a US average, but if there's 50 active at one time, across a lifetime of maybe 75 years, that increases the odds straight away. And then, if by contact it is as I understood it you might serve them in a shop, stand behind them in a bus queue, give directions etc then think how many times that happens with different people to an average person each day. You wouldn't even know you'd come into contact with them. So on your basis, with your 4 casual connections, I would say that if you know there are actual connections, and there are currently 4, then if you extended the definition it'd far exceed 6 over your lifetime.

I simply couldn't resist saying... that if anyone had happened to inform me that there was a 'pocket' of the MFP realm in which the statistical probability of "casual connection" -based, paths-even-'unbeknownst-edly'-crossing, 'contact' with a serial killer -- let alone, the lifetime 'exposure' rate thereof -- was being actively discussed/deliberated/dissected and debated (let alone, had been brought up at all, as a topic of discussion!)... and was found in a thread whose subject title included the words "confession time"...(!) (!!)

...then my initial thoughts would have been something along the lines of, "what?... wait -- why?... where? ... so, who...? ...but, how...? and if...? would that mean...? ...well, point the way!... wait-- ! -- !! -- am I about to read a "confession" that I'll immediately wish I could 'unknow' (?!) -- is someone going to 'confess' to...(?!) -- HOLD ON!" :open_mouth:

...and I cannot help pondering the silly 'what if' of the MFP site having some sort of dashboard-like, 'silent radio' ticker -y, 'this just in...' form of scrolling update, conveying an almost 'sports score' -like, ever-'unfurling' stream of 'succinct-ified' sound bites ... and functioning as a form of 'folks, these are the latest topics-within-a-topic that y'all are bandying about at this very moment'... and akin to pedestrians tilting their heads and gawking at 'the' electronic billboard in Times Square, in mouth-gaped wonder, as they react to a surprisingly attention-getting 'bit of news' from 'across the land'... MFPers would find themselves suddenly at a standstill (or 'sitstill', as it were ;) ), with fingers 'parked' or otherwise 'idling' atop whatever keyboard or mobile device they happen to be visiting MFP via... after reading the words..."Confession Time - serial killer"...and not knowing whether to click on the relevant link, call the police, or immediately rethink how well they know their Friends (and wondering how many might be harboring such a 'confession')...(?!!!) :open_mouth:

;)
  • jIngraffia7874
    jIngraffia7874 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I restrict my food calories to make room for the drinks later.
    I also drink all too frequently- I usually don't drink a large quantity, but I do drink alcohol every day
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It is actually quite amazing how close we are to such things. My daughter actually just read a report at school about how the average person will have casual contact with six serial killers over their lifetime. SIX!

Edited to add that there are usually around 50 serial killers active in the States at any given time, and close to that same number in Canada....most people think of them as rare, but that is because we only hear about 1% of them......

That's an average of one per state...so it doesn't seem likely that most people would come into contact with a serial killer at all. I guess if you include connections that we have to victims, survivors, family members of killers, etc. there are many more links.

I would find that number more plausible if the definition were extended to other kinds of mass/multiple murderers. I have casual connections to three--two family killers (one male, one female) and one person who killed his parents (the father was my colleague) and then committed a school shooting. Actually, if you count political killings as a form mass murder, I have a fourth connection.

I think you've somewhat undone your own initial argument there, as casual connections is a lot more than just contact. I think the initial point was 6 in a lifetime, I'm not sure if that's a US average, but if there's 50 active at one time, across a lifetime of maybe 75 years, that increases the odds straight away. And then, if by contact it is as I understood it you might serve them in a shop, stand behind them in a bus queue, give directions etc then think how many times that happens with different people to an average person each day. You wouldn't even know you'd come into contact with them. So on your basis, with your 4 casual connections, I would say that if you know there are actual connections, and there are currently 4, then if you extended the definition it'd far exceed 6 over your lifetime.
    Exactly!! That was more how I understood it.

There are so many variables! If there are 50 at any one moment, there will certainly be more than 50 in the country over the course of an average lifetime...but that depends on how many years the average serial killer is active, how many are actually identified, etc. The total US population is currently more than 320 million. 50 vs. 320,000,000 seems like fairly long odds, even for the most casual contact.

All of the examples that I have from my own life are mass murders or multiple murders, not serial murders. My guess is that the first is more common than the second.

We would need to see how the terms are defined by the study (who counts as a serial killer? are mass murders of other stripes included? what do we mean by active? how is a connection or contact counted) in order to even begin to discuss the issue.

This is something that I don't know much about, but I would be really interested to read the study that was mentioned.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Casual contact with 6 sociopaths seems really plausible. I would need to see how they came up with the hypothesis about 6 serial killers.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    About once a week, I make myself a big pile of nachos that put me over my calories. I don't measure anything and just guess at the amounts afterwards. I do it because a) I need the freedom of preparing food without weighing and b) I freaking love nachos.

I love them too! But I haven't eaten nachos in years. :'(
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    Options
    Casual contact with 6 sociopaths seems really plausible.

I agree... and if anything, 6 would likely be an underestimate (unfortunately, given the reality of what that 'means' (to a society, as well as the specific individuals affected by non-casual contact/interaction with said sociopaths (and of all 'stripes', so to speak)))...

...and as for psychopaths... yikes... I almost 'don't wanna know' what the 'odds' have to say about that (it'd likely involve disturbing facts to 'digest', and could be 'highly unpalatable' (and perhaps 'push the limit' of whatever comfort-based 'threshold' any given person might have when it comes to 'wanting to know reality' (such a 'threshold' could perhaps be referred to as an 'Ignorance Is Bliss' 'highwater mark' ;) )))...
  • Pipara
    Pipara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    tiona83 wrote: »
    Pipara wrote: »
    I have completely irrational anxiety about talking on the phone to anyone but my immediate family. As a result I don't answer the phone when I don't recognise the number, most of the time I don't answer it even when I do. I absolutely hate having to call to make appointments (doctors, hair etc). Even my manager at work has taken the hint and now texts/emails me instead to ask if I can cover for someone.
    I can't remember if it's always been like this, but it is soo annoying sometimes!

I thought I was the only one like this.

So did I! Until reading all of these replies. Now I feel less weird. I :heart: this thread.
  • Susieq_1994
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have completely irrational anxiety about talking on the phone to anyone but my immediate family. As a result I don't answer the phone when I don't recognise the number, most of the time I don't answer it even when I do. I absolutely hate having to call to make appointments (doctors, hair etc). Even my manager at work has taken the hint and now texts/emails me instead to ask if I can cover for someone.
    I can't remember if it's always been like this, but it is soo annoying sometimes!

So did I! Until reading all of these replies. Now I feel less weird. I :heart: this thread.

Same here! I was surprised to see so many who are the same--I even get anxious if I get calls from my parents/immediate family... For no reason at all. It's just so panic-inducing!
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    Options
    About once a week, I make myself a big pile of nachos that put me over my calories. I don't measure anything and just guess at the amounts afterwards. I do it because a) I need the freedom of preparing food without weighing and b) I freaking love nachos.

I love them too! But I haven't eaten nachos in years. :'(

Susieq_1994, on the upside, there'd be a 'fun' method via which you could utilize a tiny spoon -- one could crush the nachos into 'crumbs', and use the fingernail-sized spoon of recent 'fame' ;) to 'scoop' tiny portions from the bottom-of-the-bag -like nacho 'flecks' that populate whatever preferred servingware (a thimble, perhaps? ;) ) were chosen for the this'll-take-forever-to-consume escapade... ;)

...and could be considered 'research', as it turns out, for yet another Chapter in the "Tiny Spoon Chronicles" 'book' that I'll be editing (you and manukahoneybadger are among the consultants needed for the project, and whose expertise will be crucial to the book's success ;) (oh, and to confirm, manukahoneybadger's input will be key to the Chapter on "Creative Chopstick and Fork Adventures" (and especially the "Miniscule Per-Pick-Up, Make-It-Last-Past-Midnight, Entree and Dessert Interminable Acquisition Exercises" section (and for which she's currently creating teaching materials, for the purpose of certification credentials being made available for the upcoming inaugural 'teacher training' sessions (oh, and on a related note, classes for our "Strategies in Making Gelato and Ice Cream Consumption Last An Eternity" are filling up fast (much faster than our tiny spoons fill with said heavenly frozen confections, to be sure! ;P ), and thus we'll need to get our Skype-based lecture and syllabus 'squared away' (I've even been approached for our giving a TED talk (if you can believe it! (don't! ;P ), but when I mentioned our compadre's use of a fork for soup, and the fact that toothpicks are fast-becoming the 'new' fork, they decided to 'hold off', until our pending 'research' into use of toothpicks for soup could be completed (which makes sense, of course, given the reality that when our talk gets posted, it will undoubtedly go viral, and it'd be best for us to 'have our ducks in a row')))))... ;)
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I confess I don't log Ketchup. For no particular reason I just won't log it.

MFP has murdered my love of ketchup. I am now forced to siracha everything. Oh man I miss ketchup, but I fear if I have some I will just pour the whole bottle down my throat I love it so much.

Here is a lil backwards confession. I miss my fat gut every time I take a bath. It was like a perfect table to lay my computer, or book, or whatever on while i soaked for hours. Now that I am 25lbs less (!!!) barely anything sticks out of the water and I have to hold everything up.

But one of those bathtub trays and enjoy your 25 lb. loss! Even with a tray I don't think I'd trust myself to have a laptop with me in the tub. That thing would be accidentally submerged within a matter of minutes.

Me too. I take my tablet in the bath sometimes, but I am so nervous that I'm going to drop it one of these days.

I take my kindle in when I take a bath but I perch myself over the edge of the tub tub so the kindle isn't over water, I know I'm weird. B)

That's actually probably a good idea. When I'm getting out, I slide my tablet as far as I can across the floor because I'm paranoid about dripping water onto it. /also weird.

I have a case for my kindle sort of like this tinyurl.com/o7vsxlv that I place on a night stand which I drag up next to the tub. I love my Kindle and I am terrified of dropping it into the water. When I'm ready to get out of the tub I take the clothing that I have draped over the night stand and cover the Kindle completely before pushing the nightstand away. Then I can get out of the tub.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Accidental post. Blah.

Confession: I saw my ex best friend the other day, and was happy she still has a bad haircut and no fashion sense.

Haha, my mind completely blanked out the ex from ex best friend and I was thinking, wow that's cold.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If I go to someones house and their toilet paper hangs down the back against the wall, I change it so it cascades over the top instead...oh it feels good confessing!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Me too
    I hate talking on the phone, my friends always bug me about this!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Count me in one the phone thing! I absolutely hate talking on the phone, getting voicemail on my mobile stresses me out to the point that my voicemail message actually say I'd prefer if the caller would hang up and send me a text. My best friend, who is interstate, gets upset at me because I neglect her because I never call and half the time I don't answer when she calls.

MOG mine too
    I have like three people I talk to, everyone else can text......I love that someone else's cm also says this!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 2700 calories today. Did not work out. Do not feel guilty as it was a conscious decision. I ate what I wanted when I wanted all day and I feel so satisfied. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight :smile:
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

Exactly!! That was more how I understood it.

There are so many variables! If there are 50 at any one moment, there will certainly be more than 50 in the country over the course of an average lifetime...but that depends on how many years the average serial killer is active, how many are actually identified, etc. The total US population is currently more than 320 million. 50 vs. 320,000,000 seems like fairly long odds, even for the most casual contact.

All of the examples that I have from my own life are mass murders or multiple murders, not serial murders. My guess is that the first is more common than the second.

We would need to see how the terms are defined by the study (who counts as a serial killer? are mass murders of other stripes included? what do we mean by active? how is a connection or contact counted) in order to even begin to discuss the issue.

This is something that I don't know much about, but I would be really interested to read the study that was mentioned.
    Casual contact with 6 sociopaths seems really plausible. I would need to see how they came up with the hypothesis about 6 serial killers.

A serial killer is defined as having killed a minimum of three people with a cooling off period between each murder.

Casual contacts with sociopaths has to be frequent, more like six a week! And that is a low ball. The world is full of sociopaths!!
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am allowing other people too much influence over my actions, and not paying enough attention to what I want and as such, my diet/healthy living lifestyle and exercise is suffering.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Not a confession but a question: It's almost the end of my semester and exam time is coming up. I am a stress eater and so studying + all day take home exams = weight gain for me. I would love strategies anyone who copes similarly has.

Part of my problem is that I still have to balance the kiddos, so I have less down time to exercise etc when I'm not working.

Can you go to the library for your usual 'class time' so you are out of the house? I found for me that really helped avoid the procrastination eating. I would pack a nice snack treat to reward myself with.

If you need to be at home try strategies like, study for an hour, take the kids on a jog around the block. Study for an hour. Watch a favourite TV show, study for an hour, put on loud music and dance.

Try to plan/prep/pack your meals and snacks in advance so you're not spending.lots.of time in the kitchen with temptation. If you can, don't have your nemesis foods in the house. If you have to because of the kids, put them in a lockable box and give the key to your kids/husband/friend.

• glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Great thread everyone! Now that I've caught up to the current posts I can finally post myself. Just getting to this point feels like I've smashed out a huge essay or similar. Like I've done the research required to participate or something.

I confess I cannot stand listening to people eat. It takes me from calm to mad in 10 excruciating seconds.

I confess that I have little interest in, nor affection for animals. Despite quite liking my cat, I glaze over with boredom when i see or hear anything animal related. I fake interest when it is unavoidable. Of course i believe they should all be fed and cared for properly and protected but beyond that, well it's just not very interesting to me.

I confess now that I've admitted to that it may only be a matter of time before someone alludes to this being one of the common traits of a sociopath or psychopath. i guess it's a chance I'll have to take ☺

• Susieq_1994
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    If I go to someones house and their toilet paper hangs down the back against the wall, I change it so it cascades over the top instead...oh it feels good confessing!

LOL! If they're one of those people who obsess over the direction their toilet paper is facing, I can just imagine their bewilderment! I'm imagining an angry woman/man coming out of the bathroom and yelling "Okay, which of you clowns turned the toilet paper over?!" and getting blank stares in return... The mystery of the turning toilet paper :D