I'm mearly a beggar...

Options

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't see the question.
    Oh yes! I plan on losing 20 pounds in 4-5 weeks. Of course. I'm doing it the right way.

Yes it's sustainable its a lifetime commitment. That I'm already use too. I put that in my OP.

If I slow down maybe cut back an hour in exercise that will be when I'm at my goal weight.
    There isn't a right way to lose that much that quickly.
    This is silly. I'm out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I understand Sara and I will try and clarify. It was really inconsistent to be honest with you. I can't give you an exact range of how aggressive my workouts were. I was just starting out. I know that I did at least 20 mins of cardio every time I went. I also switched up cardio equipment because I learned that I can't always do my favorite exercise (or the easiest) because my body will remember it and I won't lose weight. I also did some strength training that day until I was tired. Yes this was in the time period I lost 12 pounds. I restricted many foods. Only vegetables and meat. Not even fruits because I was scared of sugar. Now I eat Greek yogurt, low sugar fruits like apples and oranges, chicken only and egg whites plenty of protein shakes. which I mix with water. And it's the healthiest version I can get. I eat while wheat bread, and pasta too. Because of all the cardio I need carbs. I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. Also beans I love beans so so much. I did measure my food but not with a scale but measuring cups.

Sorry - missed this response earlier.

There is no need to be scared of sugar and unless they are triggering for you, no need to avoid food groups. Eat what you like, but try to get a good amount of whole/nutrient dense foods (fruits and veggies), a good mix of fats from a variety of sources, and get a good amount of protein. What you currently eat sounds fine but make sure to get veggies in as well and you can eat other sources of protein such as fish and red meats if you like.

Re measuring foods - if you are seeing results, its fine to measure and not weight - but just remember that you may well be underestimating your intake (which is why I do not think that the 1,800 without exercise is too low - as you may well be eating more than this). If your weight loss stalls (a stall is for 4 weeks or more as water weight fluctuations can mask losses, particularly for women) then you probably should look at weighing your foods more.

With regard to switching it up on your cardio - there is a certain amount of adaptation that happens, but it takes a while for it to make any meaningful impact to the amount of calories you are burning (and even the, you can change the intensity so you do not adapt).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh yes! I plan on losing 20 pounds in 4-5 weeks. Of course. I'm doing it the right way.
    No, 20 lbs in 4-5 weeks is not healthy. Even in 5 weeks, that would put you at losing 4 lbs a week. Even if you were obese, that would be a tall order.

As for calories + exercise. To use MFP as intended, if MFP gives you 1800 calories for your goal and you exercise 200 calories, yes you are meant to eat those calories back.

Mathematically it looks like this:

1800(goal)+200(exercise)=2000 calories (adjusted goal)
    2000(adjusted goal)-200(exercise)=1800 calories (NET)

Because your calorie goal already includes your calorie deficit needed to lose weight. You eat your exercise calories to fuel your body for that extra work you're doing to it.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what I should do on my cheat day? I eat lots of pizza, chocolate, candy. Should I measure it.

I would weigh it, as well as workout extra that day. OOOHhhh pizza & chocolate, well worth the workout for it :love: Enjoy your treat day :smiley:
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    MFP is probably giving you 1800 because you didn't set it to sedentary. That means the 1800 is already including exercise, so you shouldn't eat any more than that. IMO you should set to sedentary and then enter about half your exercise burns, then eat that.
    I also agree with everyone else. 20lbs in 4-5 weeks is only doable for the morbidly obese. For someone without much to lose, like you, it's probably impossible without putting your body under big pressure and probably putting it in danger, too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I understand Sara and I will try and clarify. It was really inconsistent to be honest with you. I can't give you an exact range of how aggressive my workouts were. I was just starting out. I know that I did at least 20 mins of cardio every time I went. I also switched up cardio equipment because I learned that I can't always do my favorite exercise (or the easiest) because my body will remember it and I won't lose weight. I also did some strength training that day until I was tired. Yes this was in the time period I lost 12 pounds. I restricted many foods. Only vegetables and meat. Not even fruits because I was scared of sugar. Now I eat Greek yogurt, low sugar fruits like apples and oranges, chicken only and egg whites plenty of protein shakes. which I mix with water. And it's the healthiest version I can get. I eat while wheat bread, and pasta too. Because of all the cardio I need carbs. I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. Also beans I love beans so so much. I did measure my food but not with a scale but measuring cups.
    The part I put in bold is not true. I lost 44 pounds eating between 1800-2000 a day, run three times a week, do weight lifting three times a week followed by a half hour of cardio, and I've been maintaining doing the same exercise regime for two years. Only thing is weight lifting is progressive (gets heavier). Now that I've been in maintenance for over a year, i eat anywhere from 1960 to 2300 a day, depending on my activity. I also have my activity setting at active, even though I work at a desk job. All this and I'm a 53 year old woman who weighs 139/140.

I share this because I think your goals are unrealistic. You have lost 12 pounds in two months, and that is excellent progress. To want to lose 20 pounds in 2 months means you would have to lose over 2 pounds a week on a consistent basis, which would not happen because weight loss is not linear.

• uvi5
    Options
    I don't know. Because I think it's not good enough that's my mentality. And rightfully so. 12 pounds isn't good enough for me. But I'm not going starve myself anymore I'm going to eat the allotted calories MFP gave me. 1800 is going to be scary but I'll do if. But still go beast mode at the gym. I will admit I am getting stronger. In just two weeks I've gone from 10 pound weights to 15. So it is helping some.

Good on you for the lifting. I started over 2 weeks ago. I have 9 hours in so far. I'm doing 15 lb curls with the bar (not sure how much that weighs) and I started w/ just the bar the first session :smiley: I do 1.5 hour sessions. I'm blessed to have my hubby's equiptment and he trains me as well. I'm loving it. I feel stronger already! Cardio I do close to 2 hours a day. But, I'm retired and have the time to fit it all in. I like your term "beast mode" :sunglasses:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes it's sustainable its a lifetime commitment. That I'm already use too. I put that in my OP.

If I slow down maybe cut back an hour in exercise that will be when I'm at my goal weight.

As I mentioned earlier, there are some very valid reasons for not carrying a very large deficit - it really can bite you in the butt. I posted a link earlier, but it explained how large deficits and a lot of activity can hinder fat loss. There is also the concern of a higher risk of losing muscle mass.

People are honestly not trying to give you a hard time and really are trying to give advice that will mean that you lose weight in a manner as to have as few negative side effects as possible.

There is also the psychological factor - if you set yourself up for a goal which really is not attainable, then it is not good for our esteem and ability to keep going. Losing 10lb in 2 months is a much more realistic goal if you want to have an easier time (no point being miserable) and have less of a risk of nutrient deficiencies and possible LBM loss.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'd love to lose 2 pounds by the time school ends -_-
  • uvi5
    Options
    Mmm. To all those asking. I went from 189 to 177. Now I'm 180. I didn't log it into MFP. I thought I was losing more weight than I actually did. And this is kind of a stupid reason. The weight scale at my gym I read it wrong. So that's why I logged it in incorrectly and thought I loss more than I actually did.

To those who have their panties in a wad. I can accept opinions but I will glady reject and ignore those who came here miserable and wanted to include negativism.

Thank you Sara.and everyone else who helped.

Also. I still don't understand the calorie. The 1800 doesn't include exercise so that means if I exercise I'll have to eat half of that back?

I still can't get my ticker to show the 9 lbs I lost since Feb 16th. It still says 0 lbs lost, blah, but I know it's gone :). I'm also not going to weigh again till next month. As for the 1800/day, are you set at "sedentary" or did you add an activity level? Mine is "sedentary", i'm 5, 5", but also 47 y/o and I get 1420 for 0.5 Lbs down a week. Stay positive and keep reading and learning. You will figure out what works for you. I've been at it for 2 months and have learned so much, but I still am learning. MFP has been a fantastic motivator :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old how do you not understand how calories work on the most basic fundamental level? If you GO TO THE GYM then you will usually burn 100-200 calories an hour. You're probably burning 100 at most. If you eat 1800 a day that doesn't mean you can just eat 200 extra calories or however you "burnt" at the gym all it means is that you're burning more than you're consuming which will help you LOSE WEIGHT QUICKER!

Another piece of advice worth less than the pixels it turns off!

So, how many activities less calorically intensive than a moderate walk take place at a gym? She is 180lbs, so moderate walking nets her close to 150Cal an hour.

What is with this (persistent) idea that faster weight loss is always better, and that you shouldn't be eating back your true net exercise calories if you've set up MFP the way it prompts you to?
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options

I don't want in anyway to "knock" your enthusiasm, but that's a lot to attempt to lose, a scary amount in such a short amount of time. Can it be done, yeah probably. I had a tragity happen in 2005 and did not eat, like literally green beans out of a cans and...etc (I can barely remember now). I'm not sure what I lost the first month. I eventually dropped so much, my skin was sagging horrifically and I eventually was in the hospital. I am thankful my skin bounced back and I survived it. Please be safe.
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find it amusing that the community falls for these types of posts every single day. It's not even a challenge for the trolls.

At some point you have to realize that when someone says over and over, things like "I'm doing it the right way" and argues against every single bit of advice offered, after "begging" for advice, that the only thing you can say is "You know what you're doing, have fun and godspeed."
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You know what you're doing, have fun and godspeed."

Amen to that.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find it amusing that the community falls for these types of posts every single day. It's not even a challenge for the trolls.

At some point you have to realize that when someone says over and over, things like "I'm doing it the right way" and argues against every single bit of advice offered, after "begging" for advice, that the only thing you can say is "You know what you're doing, have fun and godspeed."

1) I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

2) People do not post only for the benefit of the OP
  • stephaniechukwu31
    stephaniechukwu31 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lmao! This wasn't a troll post... It was a genuine question.

Some people here man.. Need to chill out. Seriously. I took people's advice. I changed my calorie intake and I'm going to take it easy on my cheat days. That's what I took from this post. Losing 20 pounds in a month is and isn't unhealthy. It's doable. Especially if you work hard. The problem was I was technically starving myself. I ate to little and exercised to much which is why I didn't lose any weight just inches. But now I'll eat more. Simple. Plus I'm already classified as obese. I'm already overweight. People my size can lose weight faster. That's why I'm aiming for 20 pounds. If I was 120 aiming for 100 Then.. Yeah. That would be unhealthy. Because according to the BMI (which is arguably inaccurate...maybe) that goal would lead me to become grossly underweight. I'm supposed to be either 150-130's. According to the BMI. I think some here have genuine concern for my health. Which I greatly appreciate. And some are are just angry they don't have the tenacity I have to work out hard and aspire to achieve high. :)
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    The people on the biggest loser lose weight rapidly because they're overweight.

So I don't know why some people have a problem with me trying to lose 20 pounds in a month. It's not like I'm trying to lose 25-35. That's ridiculous. But maybe it's possible. Who knows? Everyone's body reacts differently.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Lmao! This wasn't a troll post... It was a genuine question.

Some people here man.. Need to chill out. Seriously. I took people's advice. I changed my calorie intake and I'm going to take it easy on my cheat days. That's what I took from this post. Losing 20 pounds in a month is and isn't unhealthy. It's doable. Especially if you work hard. The problem was I was technically starving myself. I ate to little and exercised to much which is why I didn't lose any weight just inches. But now I'll eat more. Simple. Plus I'm already classified as obese. I'm already overweight. People my size can lose weight faster. That's why I'm aiming for 20 pounds. If I was 120 aiming for 100 Then.. Yeah. That would be unhealthy. Because according to the BMI (which is arguably inaccurate...maybe) that goal would lead me to become grossly underweight. I'm supposed to be either 150-130's. According to the BMI. I think some here have genuine concern for my health. Which I greatly appreciate. And some are are just angry they don't have the tenacity I have to work out hard and aspire to achieve high. :)

I really enjoy a lot of exercise. I do it for the overall good feeling I get, better sleep, as well as being able to eat what I like and not suffer. At my age I need to do this and Lifting weights, wow, I'm so glad I started :smile: Good luck to you OP, stay positive, keep learning and be safe :smiley:
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The people on the biggest loser lose weight rapidly because they're overweight.

So I don't know why some people have a problem with me trying to lose 20 pounds in a month. It's not like I'm trying to lose 25-35. That's ridiculous. But maybe it's possible. Who knows? Everyone's body reacts differently.

No, the people on the biggest loser are obese, in most cases they are morbidly obese. TBL is in no way a healthy standard for weight loss. Contestants have since come forward to say they were eating about 800 calories a day - not healthy food, for the most part - and were put through enough exercise that it's a miracle nobody has died yet. Most of them also gain the weight back after going home because they learnt nothing about how to maintain weight or lose in a healthy way.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    Thank you mama! I will I'm tracking this and I will post in the community. :)

Challenge accepted! :)