40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    RobinD16 that's great that you are aware of yourself. Remember that person most likely feels they are doing something good for them self or just really isn't ready to lose weight.

A good Mac and Cheese that I haven't made forever you roast half of a butternut squash in the oven, mash that and add your spices to that as well as some cheese. Then mix it with whole grain pasta. You can put it back into the oven to cook a little longer, that way all the flavours meld together. It tastes wonderful!

Well I was going to do a 40 minute run on a treadmill because it is raining here...both are in use so I am using the only machine available, stationary bike for the same amount of time. It's not the same but will work my muscles differently. I will have to fit this run in another time. Throwing off my 10k training. Grrr. Might have to get into work real early on rain days to get it done.

Have a great day everyone...here is to there being less of everyone come Friday....except Larro. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,961 Member
    Options
    Great activity goin' on in here! Yay, Emmalusmom and larro!!!

I hope the "shadow-posters" put up an avatar on their blog and then stick-around and REALLY devote some time and effort to this myfitnesspal thread.

Today, I lift. BOOM!
  • TonyaRichelle
    Options
    So. I'm a forty year old mother of four. And I'd like to loose some fat. Starting cleaning up my eating this fall...less sugar and grains. More protein and whole foods. Initially lost a few inches...but then nada. Added lifting a couple months ago (I do cardio as well). Anyway...had to get on the scale at the dr today. Yikes. Time to start counting calories and using MFP in earnest.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well this weekend was off the rails with the food, my mom's 80th birthday and my oldest daughter's 8th birthday. Much food and drink was had all weekend and it's all good. Did my double workout Saturday, went for a hike and worked out Friday night and we puttered yesterday. Sad day in our house, I had our cat put to sleep. She was 19 and so painfully skinny it was time. Still so sad and I'm more upset than I thought I would be since I knew this was coming and I've put it off for so long.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Sad day in our house, I had our cat put to sleep. She was 19 and so painfully skinny it was time. Still so sad and I'm more upset than I thought I would be since I knew this was coming and I've put it off for so long.

Sorry for your loss.

:(

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    3furballs, sorry to hear about your cat. Happy birthday to your mom and daughter!!

@RobinD16, welcome! I'm no thyroid expert but I have heard it is tougher to lose weight but not impossible, I think with a good combination of medication that will stabilize the function, a good diet and exercise you might be able to lose and maintain your weight, I think some people use that "excuse" to let go of their health and eat poorly. Good luck to you!

Welcome to all the newcomers!! Hi to everyone else!

Off to the gym I go!!!!!!

• ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Sad day in our house, I had our cat put to sleep. She was 19 and so painfully skinny it was time. Still so sad and I'm more upset than I thought I would be since I knew this was coming and I've put it off for so long.

I am so sorry to hear this:( I am an animal lover, my heart goes out to you <3
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have been getting back into a lifting routine at gym. I thought for sure my legs would be the most painful but I am feeling my arms more than my legs. I was already doing some lifting with upper body at home so that is strange. I guess I need to vamp up the amount I am doing with my legs. I do not feel like I accomplished what I need to unless I feel pain afterwards. Any one else have the same problem?

Great to see all the posts and some new faces. I have not had much to report lately but I keep checking in to stay up to date.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Furballs so sorry about your cat. It is sad and hard and just plain old sucks. We had the same thing with my daughter's cat she got when she was 3, It was awful. Now, 6 months later, we have a new cat and things are ok. I love hearing about all the critters you found on your hike, my kids used to love to find lizzards and weird bugs and things, Jared loved to find snakes, me, not so much.

Larro, what kind of chili peppers? There are so many kinds. Your veggies look great, we still can't plant anything for awhile now, If you plant early, it stays too cold and wet for anything to grow so you really don't get a head start unless you have a greenhouse. We are expecting lots of rain tonight and heavy rain tomorrow and off and on rain all week. School vacation this week too, so it's not great for anyone staying around here this week. Hey Larro, what do you do about weed control, do you put anything down on the ground?

I got our raspberry patch pruned out this morning. Lots of bending and squatting and lots of getting scratched up. I am so sore, it happens every time I am bent over working in the flower beds too. I hate it, makes me not want to do it, but it needs to be done.
    I hope we have a decent day this week so I can have my son help me do the flower beds while he doesn't have school this week.
    I hope everyone had a good weekend and is ready for another week.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    <-- In
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    3furballs- so sorry to hear about your cat. No fun at all.

I just talked to my hubby and he fell during therapy today. I am hoping that he has not undone all of his therapy.
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    KS - Fingers crossed for you!
    3Furballs - We have lost our dog and cat on the previous 2 thanksgivings (Novembers 2014 and 2013). This kind group supported me through our pup. Hang in there. And when the time is right, you might open your home again. Ours has been lacking ... But counting down to rescue puppy now. Waiting to hear from transport when she will arrive on the weekend of May 1st.

Weekend was drink and food - full and scale told me so. I was doing a lot of yardwork (28 bags of yard waste out) and outside for whole days but I guess it wasn't enough...Onward and upward. My streak is now at 22 days - paltry compared to many but I good streak for me.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ruby70 wrote: »
    I do not feel like I accomplished what I need to unless I feel pain afterwards. Any one else have the same problem?

I am kind of the opposite....I avoid DOMs (and take one L-Glutamine supplement each morning to help with muscle soreness) because I find it SO distracting if I don't.

This is also why I try and hit all of my muscle groups, multiple times per week....I am too afraid of DOMs if I don't!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Belated Happy Monday, Cool Kids!

3furballs - really sorry to hear about your cat, but I'm sure you did the right thing for your old puss. We have an elderly dog and I know life becomes harder and harder for them.

So I'm back in Blighty... I enjoyed MA last week and only +1.5 lbs damage (grrr, but could have been worse!). Now walking as much as I can to try to get back on track - can't wait for the physio to give me the go ahead to get back to running though, walking just doesn't cut it for me.

Great progress by everyone on here - StephannieL... more than 16 miles walking at work... whaaaattt??!!

Beeps, you make me laugh... ZOOMing and BOOMing (I've been reading back) :)

Emmalusmom, I'm envious of your food prep. organisational skills - I still occasionally end up with what can only be described as "eclectic" lunches due to my lack of preparation ;)

Larro and other FL based folks - hope you ride out the storms OK... I just heard from my collaborator in Tallahassee - they've had no electricity all afternoon since some trees came down on the power lines.
  • JackieUnlimited
    Options
    3Furballs sorry to hear about your cat. Doing what is best for our beloved pets is very hard to do.

Larro I feel I need to clarify my earlier post :s as I know you are not trying to lose weight I hope to see more of you later this week.

Went for a 30 minute run with my dog when I got home. We were about 3/4 of the way through & we were going up a hill, I started losing steam & was just about to quit when I heard a mans voice say "Come on mame". I looked around & there was no one to be seen. Just Kali & I. I am not kidding! Ya I got up the hill & we finished the run.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    KS, I hope your husband is ok!!!!!

Well, I kicked my own butt at the gym!!!! Speaking of DOMS, my soreness was not delayed at all this time!!! I decided to make it a legs workout but tried different exercises. My muscle fibers are still twitching 3 hrs later. Plus I decided to get in the spinning room and did a 30 min intense workout I found in YouTube. Ruby, I necessarily don't measure my intensity by amount of soreness but when it happens I know I hit the muscles in a different way and was effective. It dues feel good though.

Jackie, are you hearing voices? LOL Sounds like you had a good run! Maybe it was your dog encouraging you!

Here is a pic of my tiny homegrown strawberry! LOL ukoqlm7dqsog.jpg

• JackieUnlimited
    Options
    alf apparently I am/was to some extent and could have been Kali she was really glad when we were finished....so was I! Sounds like you had an awesome workout as well. Love the strawberry plant! More to come I'm sure. Yum
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

So many of you guys on here today. That is great.

I think I did too much Gazelle last night after a couple of months break. I woke up with my tail bone hurting a little. Ended up trying to walk some at work and only lasted five minutes. Now it's much worse. Can barely hobble around. Margie rubbed me down with Icy Hot, so lets see if it's better by morning.

My boss's dad died today, so I'll have office relief all week. Can't remember if I told about it here or not, but he fell down the steps 10-12 days ago and had bleeding on the brain. He didn't seemed hurt bad the first day, but got much worse the second day, and never got over it. A week away from his 87th birthday.

The peppers in the garden are Serrano Chili's, but I have little Anaheim sprouts that will be in cups in a few more days, then into the garden is a couple of weeks.

Got to run. Hope everyone had a good day,

Larro
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Love that this thread exists! I'm 46 and maintaining a 13ish lb weight loss of almost 2 yrs and I owe it all to MFP. Finally happy with my bod after all these years! Oh, and I'm studying for my personal training cert!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 9 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Volume 1 Vertical Plyo"=Done!