Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Russandol wrote: »
    Not so much a weightloss/dieting confession as a confession about a confession: I finally told my dentist that I've had some disordered eating issues going on and that's why my teeth don't look so great. (There's no major damage, but they're worn from the acids. My teenaged Pepsi Max habit (several liters a week for years) didn't help.) She was very understanding, but did fumble around a little for something to say. I told her it was okay, that she didn't need to say anything, and that I just wanted her to know that there was a probable explanation for some of the wear on my teeth. (I also grind my teeth in my sleep when I'm stressed, which is another issue.)

Have you tried sleeping with a mouthpiece? I mean just a basic one that you buy at the store like some athletes wear - just a rubber, fitted piece that goes on your bottom teeth only. Of course, that suggestion is coming from a hypocrite: I'm supposed to wear one, but I can't because I feel like I'll choke on it and die in my sleep. Pretty sure rational people know that won't happen. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

That was why I was at the dentist. :) To see if anything needs fixing before they look into making a fitted mouthpiece. I've tried the ones you can mould at home, but I always manage to cast them wonky. I'm not worried about choking on it -- I used to have an acrylic one to correct my overbite, and I actually spat that one across the room in my sleep once. :D
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    So, the first part of this week, I was at my DD's new school that she will be transferring to in the Fall. She still has 2 years left. Conservatively, this will be $25k per year out of my pocket (we don't qualify for financial aid).

Confession: I'm bitter. I think school should be free or cheap for ALL students.

What about community college and then transferring to a four year school or student loans? That's what my sister did. She did her freshman and sophomore years at community college, saving about $40,000 in costs/loans. All of her credits transferred except for one class. My parents cannot afford to pay for her education; she has to take out loans. You are not forced to pay for her schooling.

The bolded is sadly not true everywhere anymore. It is possible to compel parents to pay for university through the court system. I'm guessing if DD has two years left community college might no longer be on the table.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My son's birthday is Saturday. He wanted a "survival" themed party. Sweet. Kids go play in the pasture, then we'll roast hot dogs in the fire pit. I bought some bunny Peeps, so the kids can roast "rabbits" and make smores out of them. This may be the easiest birthday party ever.

Last year we went to a park, and I had Domino's deliver pizza to the park. That was a easy and fun birthday party, too.

That sounds great. I hate Winter birthdays!!!

We can invite privately too but I don't know most of the parents and even less their phone numbers, so it's a pain. I noticed that they only got a couple invitations this year, compared to last year, so I think everyone is getting burned out (they're in 1st grade).

I 100% agree about how crazy the education system is in the US. I went to college for 3 years in France (there's a 3 year degree there) and I paid, seriously, $170 a year or something. Good thing too because it's pretty much worthless now in the US and there's no way it's going to help me find a job (major is English as a Foreign Language, so yeah....). I'd love to get a college degree here but I'd have to start over and I'm just not spending that kind of money, plus I really have no idea what I'd like to do anyway... so I honestly avoid thinking about what I'm going to do when the kids are done with school because it's seriously scaring the h*** out of me.

Have you heard of Coursera? There are other websites like it too, and some colleges have their own. Anyway, it's free classes given online by professors from actual colleges. You can pay like $50 to have a certified certificate, but you don't have to do that, you can get a regular cert for free. I have taken several of the classes, and although I just took them for fun, it was really nice to use my brain for things other than planning dinner or scheduling kid activities.

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Ok, what is NPR radio? I'm confused haha.
    And:
    I feel really guilty because we bought a new car (2009 Chevrolet Cobalt to be exact) and the payments and insurance are more than we're used to. Plus it was mainly bought because I drive so far to school and hubbys blazer isn't cutting it anymore.
    It's finals week and I may or may not be failing 2 of my classes, I'm beyond stressed and I haven't given two f*cks about eating right or logging much at all. I'm pissed at myself because I made dean's list with a 3.692 gpa last semester and I've failed one class already and may possibly fail another just in this semester!!!!! Ugh!
    I've got a little less than a month to plan my daughter's birthday party, and we're expecting anywhere between 40-50 people to be there and I've gotta figure out how or what to serve.
    I've lost control of my world and it's driving me crazy (serious control freak here)!
    :disappointed:

National Public Radio. basically it's a liberal propaganda machine.

Clearly, you don't listen to NPR if you think it's a "propaganda machine". It's called *journalism*

Journalism should be unbiased. And if it makes you feel better, I don't think much of Fox News either.

Edit: NPR's list of top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books is respectable.

I used to have a coworker who would listen to NPR on a radio in the lab ALL DAY. I rather enjoy Science Friday.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    So, the first part of this week, I was at my DD's new school that she will be transferring to in the Fall. She still has 2 years left. Conservatively, this will be $25k per year out of my pocket (we don't qualify for financial aid).

Confession: I'm bitter. I think school should be free or cheap for ALL students.

What about community college and then transferring to a four year school or student loans? That's what my sister did. She did her freshman and sophomore years at community college, saving about $40,000 in costs/loans. All of her credits transferred except for one class. My parents cannot afford to pay for her education; she has to take out loans. You are not forced to pay for her schooling.

She's already gone to community college for 2 years.

And, actually I am forced to pay for her schooling - In the US, she can not be considered "independent" unless she gets married, has a child of her own, or turns 24. I doubt that with the small amount of credit history she has at age 21 that she would qualify for $50k in unsecured loans over the next 2 years, nor would I WANT her to come out of school with a loan that huge.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Momakanga wrote: »
    Confession- Last night we were helping our daughter address her graduation announcements. She was making me so crazy all I could think about was how much quieter the house will be when she leaves for college next fall.

Yes, an empty nest is a lovely thing at times. Sometimes it is too quiet, but then I just remember times like you described and it's all okay. However, it then just becomes a different kind of crazy. I have to remember when I go to my sons house not to be all, "Why is this rose bush dying? When did you cut the lawn last? Ever planning on fixing this closet doorknob?" etc. Then I remember that this is his responsibility now.

My other two kids have kids of their own already and that in itself is it's own form of "punishment". Not that kids are bad, but now they will understand what they put US through!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    My son's birthday is Saturday. He wanted a "survival" themed party. Sweet. Kids go play in the pasture, then we'll roast hot dogs in the fire pit. I bought some bunny Peeps, so the kids can roast "rabbits" and make smores out of them. This may be the easiest birthday party ever.

Last year we went to a park, and I had Domino's deliver pizza to the park. That was a easy and fun birthday party, too.

I made a camouflage cake (the inside) for my son a couple of years ago. It was pretty easy and a big hit. Saved me a lot of money having it made.
  • berlynnwall
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    leah4590 wrote: »
    I've just eaten a medium margarita pizza and a garlic baguette. I've been craving it for WEEKS and in a bid to get past it, I've had it and tomorrow I go back to normal.

Do I feel better for having eaten it? Nope. But I knew if I didn't satisfy my craving it would just get worse so I did it!!!

On Sunday I hard an insatiable craving for a sub so I ate an entire GIANT (15") Italian sub from Jersey Mikes. 50 grams of fat, 135 grams of carbs... and it was glorious.

NO RAGRETS

All this recent talk of Jersey Mike's is ticking me off. We don't have one of those near me either. No Sonic, no JM, no Chick Fil A, the closest Starbucks drive through is a 20 minute drive away ugggggghhhhh.

We just got a Sonic about 2 years ago after being forced to see their commercials for years. They have these frozen coffee milkshake situations that are very bad for my willpower. I don't have Jersey Mike's or Chick Fil A here though.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take apart my lunch to make it seem like I am eating more.
    Ex: - Italian Sausage sandwich with peppers and onions - ate the peppers and onions first, now cutting up the sausage to dip in mustard, finally eating half the roll with a smear of mustard. This is after i had some steamed broccoli.
    The longer it takes me to eat, the more i think I'm eating, i guess.
    Options
    mem1086 wrote: »
    I'm blaming my hormones/PMS for this week's overages due to chocolate. :/

I ate an entire box of cookies and a bag of chips one day. I couldn't stop myself. Then my period started the next day which explained EVERYTHING.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Confession time!

I avoid letting people I socialize with know that I'm dieting. I'm visibly significantly overweight and I hate having to deal with comments like: Already lean people saying things like "Oh, you're SO LUCKY because when you have THAT MUCH to lose, it just falls off! I've been trying to lose these last 3 pounds for months, etc etc!" (or alternately, "I should diet too, I just feel SO FAT when I get over 110, it's disgusting..."), condescending "Good for you, honey!" type comments, non scientific advice about 'good carbs'/paleo/vegan/faddietoftheday, general discussion of my eating/body/fatness, and how I have "a pretty face" and am "going to be so cute once I lose the pounds!" Somehow just being fat doesn't bring about this conversation, but anyone getting wind that I'm trying to lose weight does.... I don't get it.

I skip social situations or save up calories so I can eat what other people are eating, just to avoid having these conversations.

Every day on these boards I read about all the insensitive and rude remarks people make to others and now it's making me believe that any health and nutrition education needs to be supplemented with some manners courses and common sense training. Too bad that will never happen.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Going to boot camp class and being the fat girl is humiliating.

No, giving up and not doing anything to improve your health is a bad thing. Being active, participating in boot camp classes and succeeding is awesome! Keep it up!

Besides, the majority of the other people there are probably worried about something about themselves as well. You are not alone.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    mem1086 wrote: »
    I'm blaming my hormones/PMS for this week's overages due to chocolate. :/

I ate an entire box of cookies and a bag of chips one day. I couldn't stop myself. Then my period started the next day which explained EVERYTHING.

Oops! Forgot to mention that Aunt Flo isn't due for another 2 weeks. BUT part of it might be going off my BC and my body getting back to normal. I still felt icky last night though!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Two updates, not so much confessions.

Inspection is still going alright. We discovered an issue with something that was signed off on and supposed to be filed in January/February not actually showing up in the system as such. Not sure how bad that's going to hurt us (if at all), but it's annoying since we KNOW we did it right.

A coworker from another department asked me earlier if I had lost weight. I said I was "working on it." She insisted you can see a difference in my face. I'll take it!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    All this recent talk of Jersey Mike's is ticking me off. We don't have one of those near me either. No Sonic, no JM, no Chick Fil A, the closest Starbucks drive through is a 20 minute drive away ugggggghhhhh.

I have one 3 miles away and it's the first time I had ever been there in the 4 years living in the area. I think it's because it's in a shopping center with stores of very little interest to me.

And there is a Sonic and CFA within 1 mile of JM..... maybe THAT's why I didn't frequent JM very much haha.
    Confession: I bought myself a big bag of Hershey eggs at Eastertime I only have 3 three left. Sad.

LOL I would have crushed the entire bag within 48 hours, if that! lol
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering walking half a mile down the street to go get pizza. At least I'd be getting exercise because I've already given up on it this week while I'm not home.
  • berlynnwall
    Options
    Confession time!

I avoid letting people I socialize with know that I'm dieting. I'm visibly significantly overweight and I hate having to deal with comments like: Already lean people saying things like "Oh, you're SO LUCKY because when you have THAT MUCH to lose, it just falls off! I've been trying to lose these last 3 pounds for months, etc etc!" (or alternately, "I should diet too, I just feel SO FAT when I get over 110, it's disgusting..."), condescending "Good for you, honey!" type comments, non scientific advice about 'good carbs'/paleo/vegan/faddietoftheday, general discussion of my eating/body/fatness, and how I have "a pretty face" and am "going to be so cute once I lose the pounds!" Somehow just being fat doesn't bring about this conversation, but anyone getting wind that I'm trying to lose weight does.... I don't get it.

I skip social situations or save up calories so I can eat what other people are eating, just to avoid having these conversations.

Every day on these boards I read about all the insensitive and rude remarks people make to others and now it's making me believe that any health and nutrition education needs to be supplemented with some manners courses and common sense training. Too bad that will never happen.

It's so true. People have no filter. I don't understand how so many people missed the lesson that you don't have to say everything that pops into your head out loud, especially if it's unkind.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »

When college kids quite literally consider throwing themselves in front of a university bus to get free tuition, you know that whole system is completely screwed up. And even when you can get financial aid, it's never anywhere near enough. All I can think about is how all my student loans need to be secured and out-of-pocket ~$5,000 needs to come out of no where by July 1st for me to go to school next fall. Let me check the bus schedule...

No, but in all seriousness, the U.S. college education system is absolutely messed up. My boyfriend's at university in England, where he's from, and with every update I get it reminds me how broken our education system truly is. There's no reason for one textbook to cost $400+ or for tuition to be enough to pay for a house.

I agree. I didn't go to college/university, lack of money was one of the reasons. They want people to be more educated but then they make it extremely difficult for people to get a good education.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Confession: I bought myself a big bag of Hershey eggs at Eastertime I only have 3 three left. Sad.

You still have some left?! I'm impressed! (no chocolate would've made it that long in my house lol)
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Confession time!

It's so true. People have no filter. I don't understand how so many people missed the lesson that you don't have to say everything that pops into your head out loud, especially if it's unkind.

So true. And some people don't seem to understand the concept of "it's not what you say, it's how you say it." They may be giving great advice and making excellent points that the OP needs to hear, but by couching it in sarcasm, all that's coming across is rudeness. I'm not advocating sugarcoating anything, but if you can take the time to come up with some snarky reply, then you can take the time to come up with a tactful reply, too.