Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Confession time!

I avoid letting people I socialize with know that I'm dieting. I'm visibly significantly overweight and I hate having to deal with comments like: Already lean people saying things like "Oh, you're SO LUCKY because when you have THAT MUCH to lose, it just falls off! I've been trying to lose these last 3 pounds for months, etc etc!" (or alternately, "I should diet too, I just feel SO FAT when I get over 110, it's disgusting..."), condescending "Good for you, honey!" type comments, non scientific advice about 'good carbs'/paleo/vegan/faddietoftheday, general discussion of my eating/body/fatness, and how I have "a pretty face" and am "going to be so cute once I lose the pounds!" Somehow just being fat doesn't bring about this conversation, but anyone getting wind that I'm trying to lose weight does.... I don't get it.

I skip social situations or save up calories so I can eat what other people are eating, just to avoid having these conversations.

Every day on these boards I read about all the insensitive and rude remarks people make to others and now it's making me believe that any health and nutrition education needs to be supplemented with some manners courses and common sense training. Too bad that will never happen.

It's so true. People have no filter. I don't understand how so many people missed the lesson that you don't have to say everything that pops into your head out loud, especially if it's unkind.

A guy in my sister's dorm laundry room told her, "If you were skinny, I would ask you out because you have a gorgeous face. You are really beautiful for a fat girl."

As if she is an anomaly because only thin girls are pretty.

I feel so bad that she gets stared at in the gym because gyms are only for people who are already thin, right?

That is stupid, awful, terrible, ridiculous. What a tool.
    For so many moments in life, I wish it were possible to 'go back in time', record a specific exchange, and then have a kind of impromptu Nightmare-Of-A-Talk-Show, in which I visit the parents of an insensitive *kitten*, and... with their now-an-adult (<-- technically) child present, say, "aaaaand... roll tape...!" -- and then proceed to listen to a recording which -- unbeknownst to them -- is a recording of their son or daughter... and with the voice altered somewhat, so that the parents don't recognize it in any way... and then ask the parents, "so... would your son/daughter ever say such a thing...?" -- and then watch as so many smilingly offer any of various forms of, ~'why, of course not...' -- and then replay the recording, with the *real* voice 'on display'... and then watch the smiles fade from their faces... and then shoot a look of *you're-a-jacka$$* 'at' the jerk in question... and then pick up my gear, annoyingly announce something along the lines of, ~"well, my job is done here...", and then 'take my leave'...

(...though the sad thing is, there would be parents who wouldn't see what the problem was/is... or care...)

(...this all reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw years ago... which said -- Mean People Suck... and oh, do they ever...)

I am always cheering for the heavier people at the gym. I want to go up and tell them "good job" but I feel like they will think I'm being sarcastic or something.
    Me, too... I go ahead and 'send positive energy', so to speak... and sometimes 'say' positive things 'in my mind', 'to' them (not that I think they can hear me, mind you... but things that I'm naturally thinking, and wish I could communicate to them, from wherever I happen to be, to wherever they happen to be, in the gym)... and every once in a while, I get up the nerve to say something (positive, truthful, and that occurs to me in conjunction with something I notice about them) that I think a total stranger would be fine with (as long as I don't 'sense' any 'stay the heck away' vibes)...

...such as... this one time, when a woman who spent a solid 20 minutes on the stepmill next to me, was done -- and I saw it as an okay time to quickly convey something I was thinking (I can't help noticing aspects of cardio fitness, and especially when it comes to stepmill and stepper/climber equipment, which I'm quite familiar with, and love kicking-my-butt with/'on')... and I said, ~"excuse me -- I just had to ask -- are you aware of just how awesome your cardio fitness is?" -- and she seemed surprised, and slowly shook her head -- and then I continued... and asked her how long she'd been doing stepmill cardio (which is really a form of strength+cardio, when it comes down to it), and she conveyed that it had been "about a year"... and then I couldn't help stating to her... that regardless of whatever pace anyone might choose... keeping up with that activity -- of 'climbing' -- for 20 straight minutes -- let alone to not be 'out of breath' (!) -- was impressive as all-get-out... and that I'd bet that most people either of us would cross paths with in daily life couldn't do what she had just done -- and no matter their age... she was around my age, and I felt completely justified in saying to her that she could 'school' just about anyone half her age, when it came to doing what she'd just done... and then I felt compelled to 'inform'(/'warn' ;) ) her... that if she didn't want me referring to her as Steptastica-The-Cardio-Goddess, the next time I saw her, then she'd have to let me know of an alternative name she might prefer... ;)

(...and now we greet each other with waving and chitter-chatter, when we see each other at the gym... :) )

Whaaaaaat???? That is quite impressive! I've been tackling that thing lately, but I am a sweaty mess. Very nice of you to acknowledge her and to do it so tactfully.
  • amyford25
    amyford25 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am always cheering for the heavier people at the gym. I want to go up and tell them "good job" but I feel like they will think I'm being sarcastic or something.
    Me, too... I go ahead and 'send positive energy', so to speak... and sometimes 'say' positive things 'in my mind', 'to' them (not that I think they can hear me, mind you... but things that I'm naturally thinking, and wish I could communicate to them, from wherever I happen to be, to wherever they happen to be, in the gym)... and every once in a while, I get up the nerve to say something (positive, truthful, and that occurs to me in conjunction with something I notice about them) that I think a total stranger would be fine with (as long as I don't 'sense' any 'stay the heck away' vibes)...

...such as... this one time, when a woman who spent a solid 20 minutes on the stepmill next to me, was done -- and I saw it as an okay time to quickly convey something I was thinking (I can't help noticing aspects of cardio fitness, and especially when it comes to stepmill and stepper/climber equipment, which I'm quite familiar with, and love kicking-my-butt with/'on')... and I said, ~"excuse me -- I just had to ask -- are you aware of just how awesome your cardio fitness is?" -- and she seemed surprised, and slowly shook her head -- and then I continued... and asked her how long she'd been doing stepmill cardio (which is really a form of strength+cardio, when it comes down to it), and she conveyed that it had been "about a year"... and then I couldn't help stating to her... that regardless of whatever pace anyone might choose... keeping up with that activity -- of 'climbing' -- for 20 straight minutes -- let alone to not be 'out of breath' (!) -- was impressive as all-get-out... and that I'd bet that most people either of us would cross paths with in daily life couldn't do what she had just done -- and no matter their age... she was around my age, and I felt completely justified in saying to her that she could 'school' just about anyone half her age, when it came to doing what she'd just done... and then I felt compelled to 'inform'(/'warn' ;) ) her... that if she didn't want me referring to her as Steptastica-The-Cardio-Goddess, the next time I saw her, then she'd have to let me know of an alternative name she might prefer... ;)

(...and now we greet each other with waving and chitter-chatter, when we see each other at the gym... :) )[/quote]

^^^ That's awesome! I bet you really made her day! :smiley:
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Confession time!

I avoid letting people I socialize with know that I'm dieting. I'm visibly significantly overweight and I hate having to deal with comments like: Already lean people saying things like "Oh, you're SO LUCKY because when you have THAT MUCH to lose, it just falls off! I've been trying to lose these last 3 pounds for months, etc etc!" (or alternately, "I should diet too, I just feel SO FAT when I get over 110, it's disgusting..."), condescending "Good for you, honey!" type comments, non scientific advice about 'good carbs'/paleo/vegan/faddietoftheday, general discussion of my eating/body/fatness, and how I have "a pretty face" and am "going to be so cute once I lose the pounds!" Somehow just being fat doesn't bring about this conversation, but anyone getting wind that I'm trying to lose weight does.... I don't get it.

I skip social situations or save up calories so I can eat what other people are eating, just to avoid having these conversations.

Every day on these boards I read about all the insensitive and rude remarks people make to others and now it's making me believe that any health and nutrition education needs to be supplemented with some manners courses and common sense training. Too bad that will never happen.

It's so true. People have no filter. I don't understand how so many people missed the lesson that you don't have to say everything that pops into your head out loud, especially if it's unkind.

A guy in my sister's dorm laundry room told her, "If you were skinny, I would ask you out because you have a gorgeous face. You are really beautiful for a fat girl."

As if she is an anomaly because only thin girls are pretty.

I feel so bad that she gets stared at in the gym because gyms are only for people who are already thin, right?

That is stupid, awful, terrible, ridiculous. What a tool.
    For so many moments in life, I wish it were possible to 'go back in time', record a specific exchange, and then have a kind of impromptu Nightmare-Of-A-Talk-Show, in which I visit the parents of an insensitive *kitten*, and... with their now-an-adult (<-- technically) child present, say, "aaaaand... roll tape...!" -- and then proceed to listen to a recording which -- unbeknownst to them -- is a recording of their son or daughter... and with the voice altered somewhat, so that the parents don't recognize it in any way... and then ask the parents, "so... would your son/daughter ever say such a thing...?" -- and then watch as so many smilingly offer any of various forms of, ~'why, of course not...' -- and then replay the recording, with the *real* voice 'on display'... and then watch the smiles fade from their faces... and then shoot a look of *you're-a-jacka$$* 'at' the jerk in question... and then pick up my gear, annoyingly announce something along the lines of, ~"well, my job is done here...", and then 'take my leave'...

(...though the sad thing is, there would be parents who wouldn't see what the problem was/is... or care...)

(...this all reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw years ago... which said -- Mean People Suck... and oh, do they ever...)

(...and now we greet each other with waving and chitter-chatter, when we see each other at the gym... :) )

Whaaaaaat???? That is quite impressive! I've been tackling that thing lately, but I am a sweaty mess. Very nice of you to acknowledge her and to do it so tactfully.

Yep... she was going at a relatively slow pace, but she kept it up 'metronomically' -- she had a specific pace that she was keeping, and she kept it up for the entire default session (of 20 minutes)... and even though it was one of the slowest levels that the machine could be set at, I *know* that even at slow speeds, doing that form of step-based 'climbing' for 20 minutes will ultimately tend to 'kick someone's butt' (that is, unless they've cardiovascularly adapted, and their legs have acclimated to repeated sessions of such, and have the relevant strength, etc., to maintain the activity for 20 minutes)... the fact that she wasn't out of breath 'got my attention'... and knowing that I'd been next to her during her entire session, I knew she'd maintained that pace 'like a clock', and never wavered... it was impressive... and I wanted to make sure she heard from at least one person that what she'd done was exceptional... (and awesome! :) )

And a reality is... that going up even one more level, can and does 'alter' 'everything', when it comes to the body's response to such... so if someone stays at one of the slowest levels (and she did), one would ultimately 'adapt' to such (and she did (at some point during the ~1 year timeframe of her doing stepmill sessions))...

I know that some people are comfortable utilizing one of the slowest speeds, and 'getting their time in', so to speak (and that's fine, of course... am merely contrasting that with 'pushing' the challenge, over time, after 'adapting' to a given level and/or amount of time, etc.)... as for me, I do a 'mix'... and include some 'interval' -type 'throwdowns' (as I think of them ;) ), in which I set it at a speed that is *near* the top of what I can maintain for a minute (barely), and I go every-other-step, and almost as fast as I (safely, reliably) can, and essentially 'race climb' for a solid minute... and then let my heart rate come down to a specific level (which takes about a minute)... and then I get back on the machine, increase the speed by 1 level, and do another minute of 'race climbing'... and I do 5 of those 'intervals' (and at the end of such, am 'breathing my lungs out', and can 'hear my quads scream' (especially given that I get some time on the bike in, before doing my 'race climbing', which is also after at least 2 sessions on the stepmill and/or stepper/climber -- and the 'race climbing' is how I 'close out' my time on the stepmill, for that day (before doing a final 'circulate that blood!' session on the bike (I find that my 'recovery' from leg-centric strength+cardio is better if/when/after I get in a final session on the bike, to 'get things moving around the body', and even if I'm so spent I can't pedal for more than 10 minutes)))...
  • sugarhollic
    sugarhollic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    last week i ate an entire jar of nuttella after fighting with my boyfriend
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The world is a better place because ranch dressing exists. Mmmm.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    If you are a praying person, I am asking for some right now. If not a praying person, maybe send some good vibes. My sister's sister-in-law is 30 weeks pregnant, after 5 attempts at IVF. On Sunday, she was having issues with her kidneys, so yesterday they decided to go and put in some drains. While under anesthetic, she vomited and aspirated. Due to lack of oxygen, she is now in a coma and has been placed on life support. The family was all called last night and the Dr's basically admitted they were keeping he alive as long as they can for the baby's sake, but there is little to no brain activity. Now a baby that was wished for, for so long, is likely not going to have a Mama. Miracles do happen, and we could really use one today!

@ladybuggnorris how is your sister's SIL & baby doing?

SIL has some swelling on the brain, but it is going down. She has a long road to recovery, but they think she will make it. Unfortunately, she had some blood clots in her brain and they had to give her blood thinners in order to save her life and the baby did not survive. We are all feeling very blessed, though, that the wisdom and quick thinking on the Drs' part saved the SIL's life. If they hadn't acted quickly, they would have likely lost both of them. We will all help her on the road to recovery and some day, when the time is right, they can either decide on a surrogate or adoption. One step at a time. Thank you for your continued well wishes!

So sad about the baby, but I hope she continues to recover.
  • ethim
    ethim Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Confession time!

I hope I'm not rude/unkind but I fear I lack social skills and don't pick up on nuances or if I don't think I'm too blunt. Then again I feel I spend huge amounts of time trying to be diplomatic when others don't.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Confession: I had Biscoff cookie spread in my shopping cart this weekend. I put it back. I'm not sure if I'm proud or sad.

I do that with potato chips the whole time I am shopping then go put them back just before I head to the check out :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I love that so many of you are on board with my quiet salon idea. And I agree that I'd love the concept at a dentist's office too. I'm not antisocial or anything, but I don't warm up to strangers quickly.

My confession today is that I am kind of freaking out about my wedding, even though it's teeny-tiny and there's not much at all to be done now. It's just the whole idea of having to do it. I would have been happy to skip straight to the "married" part and skip the wedding, but we decided we couldn't do that to our parents so I'm suffering through a 25 person event and hoping I don't hyperventilate walking down the aisle or say something stupid or trip or start laughing or something. For the past week I've been absolutely fixated on it and it's not for another three and a bit weeks. It sucks. I'm practically hyperventilating now just typing this, haha.

And it's probably exacerbated by the fact that I'm hangry as hell because I ramped up the deficit in hopes I won't look at my photos and just see fat arms and too much cleavage. I really hope I can lose five pounds, which makes a pretty big difference at my size, but it definitely means three more weeks of being hungry a lot. Ugh.

I'd love the quiet anywhere idea...I'm not shy or anything but sometimes I don't feel like small talk or talking in general. The thing I can't handle the most is going into department stores and employees immediately asking if they can help you find something- NO, if I need help I'll ask. I apologize if this is anyone's job and are required to do this but really it iritates the crap out of me :|

I work in a big box sporting goods store and technically I am required to ask something like "Are you finding everything alright today?", "Can I help you find something today?", etc... I admit, it tends to annoy me when I am shopping, but it's in my job reqs! ;)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Good parenting confession here:

My 14yo (nearly 15) daughter is reading "A Game of Thrones" (Book one of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" for all you folks who only watch the TV series) and we are letting her watch the series with us (so far, due to schedules, we've only watched the first one of the series).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Good parenting confession here:

My 14yo (nearly 15) daughter is reading "A Game of Thrones" (Book one of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" for all you folks who only watch the TV series) and we are letting her watch the series with us (so far, due to schedules, we've only watched the first one of the series).

My now 12yo has been watching RuPaul's Drag Race with me on and off since season 1. I tend to fall in the if it's not killing them, they'll be fine, school of parenting.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The world is a better place because ranch dressing exists. Mmmm.

I just polished off a salad with hidden valley lite. Sooo good.
    last week i ate an entire jar of nuttella after fighting with my boyfriend

I can get with the 'idea' of crushing a jar before I dig in but I am pretty sure I'd throw up before I could finish. You know how something goes from OMG awesome to OMG I'm gonna puke from the gorging? Like that.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My first day of work went great!

I work at a restaurant that actually has some healthy choices and I get a free meal every shift so that was nice! I calculated the calories for my meal that I wanted a few days ago so it was really nice. I spent eight whole hours not constantly obsessing about food, I felt productive and feel like now I can actually reach my goals without constantly focusing on them

*high fives everyone who reads this*
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    So since maybe last Thursday or Friday I got a jumbo Oatmeal cream pie on my desk. I'm saving it for "one of those days" one of them is 320 cals.
    t1zxe0mmx9s9.jpg

Yum. I'm thinking of getting a Milky Way French Vanilla & Caramel bar to try, but not sure if I'd like that flavor.

Bought two of the Skippy Salted Caramel spread the other day & the flavor was pretty bland.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My first day of work went great!

I work at a restaurant that actually has some healthy choices and I get a free meal every shift so that was nice! I calculated the calories for my meal that I wanted a few days ago so it was really nice. I spent eight whole hours not constantly obsessing about food, I felt productive and feel like now I can actually reach my goals without constantly focusing on them

*high fives everyone who reads this*
    Congrats on the first day! :)

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I WILL NOT share food with my children, I've actually overheard them saying how mean mom is because she never shares her food anymore.. If I log it, I'm eating it, especially if I'm close to my calorie goal..

I hate when someone takes some of your food after you've logged & measured it with the exception of my nieces & nephews.

My older niece the one day laughed when I measured her ice cream bowl & younger sister out of sheer habit haha. The funny thing is I put the bowl on the scale & just scooped without looking at the grams.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Ok, what is NPR radio? I'm confused haha.
    And:
    I feel really guilty because we bought a new car (2009 Chevrolet Cobalt to be exact) and the payments and insurance are more than we're used to. Plus it was mainly bought because I drive so far to school and hubbys blazer isn't cutting it anymore.
    It's finals week and I may or may not be failing 2 of my classes, I'm beyond stressed and I haven't given two f*cks about eating right or logging much at all. I'm pissed at myself because I made dean's list with a 3.692 gpa last semester and I've failed one class already and may possibly fail another just in this semester!!!!! Ugh!
    I've got a little less than a month to plan my daughter's birthday party, and we're expecting anywhere between 40-50 people to be there and I've gotta figure out how or what to serve.
    I've lost control of my world and it's driving me crazy (serious control freak here)!
    :disappointed:

So sorry to hear that! Any idea why the big change? Are these totally different classes? Mainly asking just so that maybe we can offer some help.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself as far as your daughter's bday party. Doesn't have to be perfect. Delegate as many things as you can. Being a control freak is hard, but sometimes letting go of some things gives you much needed energy for other areas of your life. Hang in there!

I think a lot of it came from me thinking that since I went from 5 classes to 4 I wouldn't have so much to do. I didn't take into consideration that everything gets more difficult in higher level courses. I've definitely failed my English course, which I can retake next semester and it doesn't affect whether or not I get into the clinical program for my degree. My math, however, does. If I pass this semester, I can take probability and statistics next semester, if I fail, I have to repeat the course and I won't be able to apply for clinicals in the spring.

I was going to make most of the food for the party, (mini burgers and sandwiches) but hubby and I agreed to just buy pizzas and I'll make veggie platters and little treats to go with the cake and ice cream. With everything else going on lately, that's a compromise I can make.
    Thanks for your encouragement too! :smile:
  • dellison18
    dellison18 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My fiancé decided to bring home chick fil a today... Original chicken sandwich and a large fry for each of us. I ate it and then entered it into my food log and saw it was over 1,000 calories for that and the packet of chick fil a sauce I used. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. I'll do better tomorrow.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Confession time!

I don't know how many time's I've typed then deleted mean comments. They really aren't helpful. I try to remind myself that there is a person on the other side of the words being received.
  • mrhs17
    mrhs17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mrhs17 wrote: »
    I've been stalking this thread since it was born and here's my confession- I just deleted my old account and started a whole new one. Seeing my weight fluctuations was really bumming me out and I've decided to wipe the slate clean and start completely over. Denial? Maybe.

I did this too, and for the exact same reason. I've actually been on here since June :) And as far as the fluctuations go, this time around I chose not to log my weight gains. I just don't see any benefit to it. It's not motivation to do better; it just makes me feel bad.

Great minds think alike! That's my plan too (not logging when I gain). Several of you guys in this thread posted that you only log when you lose and that's what made me realize it was those little bumps up that messed with my head.