Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

Shhh don't talk sense, it's all magic and unicorns, you know that SLL.

Nah. Just understanding food and calories as a unit of measurement properly. While an inch is an inch, a calorie isn't always a calorie once it is in the body. No magic, no unicorns. Basics.

100 calories of apple is the same as 100 calories of cake, except the cake will be a whole lot smaller than than the apple. Your body knows no difference, but your mind might.

The body uses 100 calories worth of carb very differently to 100 calories worth of fat. Not all calories are equal.

Nutritionally, the apple and the cake are not the same.

Calorie wise, you body knows no difference.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...

I would say based on this breakdown, the woman has and has always had an unhealthy relationship with food. Those who have struggled with eating disorders in the past will many times find new rules to eating that will only make sense to others with similar tendencies. this woman has a degree in math and economics, does not have a degree in nutrition in any form (or for some reason she is unable to prove that she does have a nutrition degree) Be very careful with following so faithfully someone who has admittedly suffered from multiple eating disorders and this appears to be a new manifestation of that.

I do follow a very low carb woe, which absolutely does aid in weight loss, however it works because the foods you eat are more satiating causing one to eat less as they feel full longer effectively reducing your caloric intake. It also helps to increase your energy levels as you adapt to burning fat for fuel which increases your calories out. It's one way that works for many to create a deficit.

It's especially helpful for those with certain medical conditions.

Please stop making claims that are not based in fact, I'm really tired of low carb and keto being made to look like it's not a viable method for many and only looked at as a cult full of fanatics.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

I've been talking to a friend about GMOs and Monsanto and all that lately and I quickly found out even if he posts a study, googling the names of the authors tells a lot more about its validity than reading it a lot of the time.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...

I would say based on this breakdown, the woman has and has always had an unhealthy relationship with food. Those who have struggled with eating disorders in the past will many times find new rules to eating that will only make sense to others with similar tendencies. this woman has a degree in math and economics, does not have a degree in nutrition in any form (or for some reason she is unable to prove that she does have a nutrition degree) Be very careful with following so faithfully someone who has admittedly suffered from multiple eating disorders and this appears to be a new manifestation of that.

I do follow a very low carb woe, which absolutely does aid in weight loss, however it works because the foods you eat are more satiating causing one to eat less as they feel full longer effectively reducing your caloric intake. It also helps to increase your energy levels as you adapt to burning fat for fuel which increases your calories out. It's one way that works for many to create a deficit.

Please stop making claims that are not based in fact, I'm really tired of low carb and keto being made to look like it's not a viable method for many and only looked at as a cult full of fanatics.

I think we probably all have an eating disorder of some kind or else none of us would even be having this convo. But everyone is an expert here ...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.
    So yes you are at a deficit, whether you acknowledge it or not.

She starved herself. For a long time period. I saw her for months talking about eating 1000 calories. And now she's saying 800.

She probably had a raging case of adaptive thermogenesis. She's even saying she thought her maintenance was 1300-1400. Not unless she's already super thin. Which would put her, if trying to lose more weight into some dangerous territory. To get 1300 for maintenance on Scooby's, I just plugged in 110 for weight. And she's lost 6 pounds from that. I forgot her exact age, I used 35.

Houston, we have a problem.

• RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

You'll see some fast weight loss for sure, but you will be losing muscle and water, not fat if you cut your carbs to 20%.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Product Description

About the Author

I think we probably all have an eating disorder of some kind or else none of us would even be having this convo. But everyone is an expert here ...

No, not everybody has an eating disorder.

Nobody here is an expert anymore than anyone else.

We are having the last several pages of this conversation because people are standing up to your claims that calories in/calories out does not matter as to weight loss as long as you follow a certain diet.

By the way, what you are advocating is, in my perception, disordered thoughts and behaviors around food, which is not the same as an eating disorder. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

Oh my goodness....right. LOL, R.I.G.H.T.

No, dear, you don't lose weight eating at a calorie surplus. If that were true, then there would be no fat people.

Wrong. You do. I am. This is where 'how' you eat foods comes into play - not mixing fats and carbs for example and not eating foods which feed the 3 conditions that have been identified as being linked to obesity. (Luckily I don't have these so don't need to cut out any food). There is a lot to this diet and for some maybe it is just too much. And I understand the reluctance when CICO is so basic and simple. I do. I never thought I'd see any other valid theory.

You simply chose lower calorie foods and ate more of them, thus the quantity of food is more than what you were eating before.

Wrong. I'm not eating any low calorie foods (well apart from the veg and salad with my fat). Eating lots of butter, cheese and cream. Lots of fatty meat. Lots of full fat dairy.

I'm happy too that you found a way of eating that works for you, especially since you are eating way more food but less calories. Keep it up, that calorie deficit sounds like it's working well for you. ;)

Wrong. No deficit. Most days over what I burn.

You should be eager to prove this with stats and an open diary.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what Kelly's stats are - age, height, activity level - cos I'm actually not buying a TDEE of 1300-1400, and therefore losing weight on a surplus of 600 cals a day.

No idea of age. 5' 1.3" according to an older post different topic. 125 lbs according to an earlier post on this topic
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Oh my goodness....right. LOL, R.I.G.H.T.

No, dear, you don't lose weight eating at a calorie surplus. If that were true, then there would be no fat people.

Wrong. You do. I am. This is where 'how' you eat foods comes into play - not mixing fats and carbs for example and not eating foods which feed the 3 conditions that have been identified as being linked to obesity. (Luckily I don't have these so don't need to cut out any food). There is a lot to this diet and for some maybe it is just too much. And I understand the reluctance when CICO is so basic and simple. I do. I never thought I'd see any other valid theory.

You simply chose lower calorie foods and ate more of them, thus the quantity of food is more than what you were eating before.

Wrong. I'm not eating any low calorie foods (well apart from the veg and salad with my fat). Eating lots of butter, cheese and cream. Lots of fatty meat. Lots of full fat dairy.

I'm happy too that you found a way of eating that works for you, especially since you are eating way more food but less calories. Keep it up, that calorie deficit sounds like it's working well for you. ;)

Wrong. No deficit. Most days over what I burn.

You should be eager to prove this with stats and an open diary.

I concur.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.

She starved herself. For a long time period. I saw her for months talking about eating 1000 calories. And now she's saying 800.

She probably had a raging case of adaptive thermogenesis. She's even saying she thought her maintenance was 1300-1400. Not unless she's already super thin. Which would put her, if trying to lose more weight into some dangerous territory. To get 1300 for maintenance on Scooby's, I just plugged in 110 for weight. And she's lost 6 pounds from that. I forgot her exact age, I used 35.

Yes you do have a problem. You can't read. I DID NOT EAT 800 calories. I am 5ft1, was 9stone3, age 36, my BMR was something like 1300. My TDEE maybe 1500 maybe a bit more. NOT ENOUGH for me. I can not sustain this. I did eat 1000 calories for a while because this was the most I could eat and still lose a tiny - ounces - of weight. Bearing in mind I could go down to around 7stone12 and still be in my healthy weight range. I would have had to go to 800 to lose weight without it taking 6 years or something stupid.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And because Kellysdavies refuses to answer these because she can't, I will try and ask again. Hopefully the answer isn't to go read the book.

So what you're saying is that by eating fat and carbs together we will not be able to lose fat because our bodies are always burning carbs? So at no point in the day will our body tap into stored fat reserves for energy since we are in a caloric deficit? Does eating fat and carbs negate the laws of thermodynamics?

Can you explain to me why then was I able to lose the weight I wanted to (75 lbs) all without following that rule to not eat fat and carbs together?

What's even more amusing is:

Pounds lost follow straight CICO - 50
    Pounds lost following this Zoe - 6

Yup I guess CICO loses. Pretty clear right.

Because what worked for you does not work for others. It's that simple

Do you live in a different universe than us? Rules of physics apply to everyone. Where does the extra energy from the fat/protein go?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes you do have a problem. You can't read. I DID NOT EAT 800 calories. I am 5ft1, was 9stone3, age 36, my BMR was something like 1300. My TDEE maybe 1500 maybe a bit more. NOT ENOUGH for me. I can not sustain this. I did eat 1000 calories for a while because this was the most I could eat and still lose a tiny - ounces - of weight. Bearing in mind I could go down to around 7stone12 and still be in my healthy weight range. I would have had to go to 800 to lose weight without it taking 6 years or something stupid.

Again, how are you measuring calories in vs out? How do you know your BMR or TDEE?
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    And because Kellysdavies refuses to answer these because she can't, I will try and ask again. Hopefully the answer isn't to go read the book.

So what you're saying is that by eating fat and carbs together we will not be able to lose fat because our bodies are always burning carbs? So at no point in the day will our body tap into stored fat reserves for energy since we are in a caloric deficit? Does eating fat and carbs negate the laws of thermodynamics?

Can you explain to me why then was I able to lose the weight I wanted to (75 lbs) all without following that rule to not eat fat and carbs together?

What's even more amusing is:

Pounds lost follow straight CICO - 50
    Pounds lost following this Zoe - 6

Yup I guess CICO loses. Pretty clear right.

Because what worked for you does not work for others. It's that simple

Right--what being the operative word here. In other words, what did you do in order to create a calorie deficit?

For Kelly, it sounds like she found a certain diet that she really likes.

For me, and many others, we chose to simply cut back on everyday foods with no real diet-type in mind.

And, still others use LFHC, or Paleo, or Weight Watchers, or something else.

But, in order to lose weight, the what must result in a calorie deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options

Kelly, something is wrong with your calculations. Given your stats above, even at a desk job with little or no exercise, your TDEE is a little over 1800. If you add some moderate exercise in, it's 2086, and your TDEE goes up from there.

Even now, if you are 115 pounds (just a guess), your TDEE with no exercise is 1775, moderate exercise 1968.

Where did you get your numbers from?

This discussion has been closed.