Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Margaret - I didn't get the impression that any of the people crying "Woo!" know anything about Ayerveda other than what they just now gleaned from a quick Google, so factor that in to the weight you give their responses.

lol.

Come onto an internet forum, ask a question than just assume most people have no clue what they are talking about and just do what you want.

If we follow your logic that begs the question...why even ask? Do you really think every person that answered has never fallen for similar things and is simply trying to save the OP some time, stress, and money?

Of course not. What was I thinking. We're just mean and negative. :indifferent:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Margaret - I didn't get the impression that any of the people crying "Woo!" know anything about Ayerveda other than what they just now gleaned from a quick Google, so factor that in to the weight you give their responses.

lol.

Come onto an internet forum, ask a question than just assume most people have no clue what they are talking about and just do what you want.

If we follow your logic that begs the question...why even ask? Do you really think every person that answered has never fallen for similar things and is simply trying to save the OP some time, stress, and money?

Of course not. What was I thinking. We're just mean and negative. :indifferent:

And don't forget cowardly.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    there is a reason it's called "practicing" medicine.

Only God that's hilarious. I think I have to follow up the 'do you even science' with 'do you even English?'
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    wanted to post this for anyone on this thread who was interested in ayurvedic cooking. I've really been enjoying the days I've been trying, though the increased fiber (ie less processed foods) has been a little hard on my stomach. Hope this is helpful to some of you as well. As for me, I'm heading to the library! :smiley:

from @Ang108
    When I lived and worked in Western Bengal supervising a refugee camp of people from Tibet and Nepal I had to study Ayur Vedic methods/diet to be able to understand the culture and have ever since stuck to many of the rules and continued my studies even after coming to Mexico. If you are interested I can highly recommend the books of Maya Tiwari. Especially " The Path of Practice - A Woman's book of healing with food, breath and sound " to start with. I also highly recommend a cookbook called: " Heaven's Banquet " with about 700 international ayurvedic recipes according to doshas by Miriam Kosin Hospodor. It is the Maharishi Ayur Vedic cook book.....and no, I am not a follower and the book is good.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

No. Just stop. A calorie is not a measure of the nutrient content of food.

A calorie is the measure of the energy it provides you with.

A unit of energy is a unit of energy.

The nutrition various foods provide? No one argues they are the same.

But people who state "all calories are not the same"? Are simply stating something false.

Words have meaning. If you mean that certain foods are more nutritious than others, then say THAT.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    "Ayurveda is a 5,000-year-old system of natural healing that has its origins in the Vedic culture of India. Although suppressed during years of foreign occupation, Ayurveda has been enjoying a major resurgence in both its native land and throughout the world."

Predates Dr. Oz by quite a bit.

But citrus fruits are from Australia and wouldn't have existed in India 5000 years ago so can you explain why they are recommended by the OPs guru?

Here is an interesting read on the history of citrus...

http://websites.lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/Vol1/Chapter1.htm

Seems as if the first known citrus was the citron...310BC in Europe.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    History and Development of the Citrus Industry

...First Citrus Fruit to Reach Europe.—The citron (Citrus medica L.) was the first citrus fruit to come to the notice of Europeans and was for many years the only one known. It first attracted attention in Media, where it was then supposed to be indigenous. Apparently it soon spread into Persia, where it came to the attention of the Hebrews and the Greeks. Although it is not now considered to be indigenous to Media, the steps by which it was first brought there from its native habitat in India or Indo-China are not known.

...Orange Introduced into Australia in 1788.—Citrus was first planted in New South Wales by the colonists of the First Fleet under Captain Arthur Phillip, who sailed for Australia in 1787 with instructions to introduce plants and seeds at his discretion (Bowman, 1955). At Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the expedition stopped for one month, the colonists purchased orange, lime, and lemon trees. On arrival at Port Jackson on January 26, 1788, the first work performed was the planting of the seeds and plants obtained in the voyage from England. According to Bowman (1955), oranges, limes and lemons were flourishing at the end of the first year of settlement.

You beat me to it...

If we read the same article...it was interesting. I think we have this tendency to forget that many foods were not native at one time to the countries that now have some of the largest crops.

• margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

No. Just stop. A calorie is not a measure of the nutrient content of food.

A calorie is the measure of the energy it provides you with.

A unit of energy is a unit of energy.

The nutrition various foods provide? No one argues they are the same.

But people who state "all calories are not the same"? Are simply stating something false.

Words have meaning. If you mean that certain foods are more nutritious than others, then say THAT.

Of course, agreed.

But if you read back on the thread (not that you have the time, it's a long thread!) then you will see that that is not what was being argued, I don't believe.

When it gets semantic like that - like when people say you will lose weight if you just reduce calories, then the unit of energy vs. nutritional value seems to get lost.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have already outlived the average woman from ancient India and ancient China. Therefore, I hardly feel I am a candidate for Ayurvedic medicine or ancient Chinese medicine.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    to OP,
    i choose to ignore the negatives and wanted you to know that thanks to you, i found books at the library and have done research...LOVE the info i am finding, especially in regards to ayurveda and depression. i have BPD so anytime i can find alternatives to add to my meds, i am intrigued. i love the mind - body - spirit connectivity they describe in this one book i have checked out. i really dont understand why anyone chooses to say hurtful or negative things about something that someone else might find helpful. anyway, thank you for introducing me to this concept. :smiley:
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    there is a reason it's called "practicing" medicine.

Only God that's hilarious. I think I have to follow up the 'do you even science' with 'do you even English?'

what does
    "Only God that's hilarious" mean?

do YOU English?

my point was that sometimes western drs dont know everything and this ayurveda information has been a breath of fresh air to me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I had to stop at "sip lemon water throughout the day."

If I went any further, I'd probably go on a rampage.

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.
    Why do you believe people are self-righteous and closed-minded just because they say it's woo?

Well, it IS woo.

All calories are created equal as to weight loss, though for nutritional needs they are not.

The bottom line to lose weight is that you need to only eat at a calorie deficit, how you get there is individual. In other words, this Ayurvedic nutrition plan is not magic and has no special properties, it's just a plan that helps those who lose weight on it stick to a calorie deficit. That's the most important thing.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I had to stop at "sip lemon water throughout the day."

If I went any further, I'd probably go on a rampage.

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.

Why even ask about it when it is evident you've already drunk the kool aid? Sorry..the lemon water?

Seriously. What they said has meaning. Doesn't mean they are self-righteous and close-minded. If anything, that's how you are coming off.

And you are right, I probably should have used "self-righteous and close-minded. That is stooping.

As to the bold statement: that depends on the person. I personally would rather eat my calories than drink them.

What are "healthier things"?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @margaretib4 I have been watching a show featuring ayurveda practices, and its quite facinating, and informative. (google Yogi Cameron)
    There is alot of truth to the fact that people react differently to different types of food. That there is a plan that addresses those differences seems to make alot of sense. That ayurveda treats not just the symtoms of diseases in the body, but the body as a whole makes sense to me as well. Look up the program, "Yogi Cameron~The Model Guru".
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss? I am beginning to work with an ayurvedic nutritionist through an app called "Vida" - so far I'm really enjoying it. The main simple instruction she has given me is to think about ways to slow down in my life and also to sip lemon water throughout the day. She also has given me a digestive lassi recipe that i'm keen to try. And - and this is startling - she has looked at my diary for my last 8 or so pounds of weight loss and said that I might not be one of these people who DOESN'T need high protein for weight loss.

It also may depend on the week of my period. So this is interesting and without going nuts about it, I'm going to try and see what I should eat for the 1st through 4th weeks of my period (more or less protein that my body may crave...etc) and see what happens. Very curious to see if this helps. It sure makes sense when she talks about it, just paying attention intuitively to what your body wants....we'll see if it wants french fries.

That double negative is confusing the crap out of me. So do you or don't you need high protein?

Also no one needs high protein for weight loss - they just need a calorie deficit. High protein combined with resistance work can help maintain muscle mass so you lose more fat then muscle during your weight loss, and some people find it more satisfying.

I need to get in on this web consultancy game - $99 for some web chats, excellent.

Have to come up with a fancy name and make up rules that sound interesting enough to people to make them part with their money.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @flyingtanuki ok ok I know he sounds hokey, but just like most television, I weed out the items that seem too ZEN to me, and collect whats left. I can be open-minded in realizing that the medical community doesn't have ALL the answers now.. :-)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm going to toe the line here. While I don't have a problem with you choosing this eating style, I have to admit I've done it on my own for free just by researching and googling for recipes to match. While I'm far from any kind of spiritual belief, or even that we have souls, if it makes you feel better and keeps your deficiet intact, well... Good for you. I do Keto. Keto eating style isn't for everyone. If you can stick to it, and don't mind spending the money to talk to that lady, good on ya.
  • rkk1
    rkk1 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am deeply interested in Ayurvedic medicine, and have seen a practitioner face-to-face. It's an incredibly interesting science. There are Ayurvedic doctors in India who go through over 5 years of medical school to be trained in it. Even though I have personally trained in western medicine, I have presented on alternative medicine topics, and many of the herbs recommended in Ayurveda have evidence-basis. I think you should give the diet a try. You won't likely get much support from this forum, as most people here are completely ignorant about Ayurveda with little personal experience and probably haven't done much review of the literature either, but I don't think that should deter you. You can give it a shot, and if it works for you, great.... if not, then not much lost.
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rkk1 wrote: »
    I am deeply interested in Ayurvedic medicine, and have seen a practitioner face-to-face. It's an incredibly interesting science. There are Ayurvedic doctors in India who go through over 5 years of medical school to be trained in it. Even though I have personally trained in western medicine, I have presented on alternative medicine topics, and many of the herbs recommended in Ayurveda have evidence-basis. I think you should give the diet a try. You won't likely get much support from this forum, as most people here are completely ignorant about Ayurveda with little personal experience and probably haven't done much review of the literature either, but I don't think that should deter you. You can give it a shot, and if it works for you, great.... if not, then not much lost.

You know, I don't get the impression that it's the practice of Ayurveda that people are against, but the assertion that eating the Ayurveda "diet plan" is the way to weight loss. I certainly support people's different spiritual programs, but I do not support people when they try to promote a certain type of diet as if it is the magic wand to weight loss.

You lose weight on any diet plan only if you eat less calories than you burn.

You can do the Ayurveda diet plan and not lose any weight at all if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

I am for any plan that promotes moderation and learning how to make nutritious food choices without demonizing food. In other words, for some people having that bowl of ice cream at the end of the day is nutritious because they otherwise hit their macros during the day.

Just because people here don't agree with this diet plan, don't assume they are ignorant and don't know anything about it I have looked up this Ayurveda diet plan, and it is based in strict food-type restriction. To me, this is the same as demonizing food, and that's why I say it's woo and don't support it.

Losing weight and keeping it off is about taking the foods you love and learning moderation.