Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    I just walked by the local high school on my lunch break. Confession: so glad I'm years beyond high school. Question: did high school aged girls always look like hookers? The amazingly short shorts with crop tops/sport bras! Holy *kitten*-child, Batman!

are you serious ? calling young girls *kitten* and hookers?sexualizing them ...how nice

they can wear whatever they want just like any other girl or women

geezus

Was it the "absolutely" the "no" or the "judgment" that tripped you up?

Amen. And I agree about clothes, heck some things that 10yo girls wear make me shake my head sometimes.

Me too. And I seriously question their parents judgement.

Sometimes I wonder if their parents know how they're dressing. I've heard of kids wearing one outfit leaving home and changing at school.

I would do that in high school. Change in the back of the bus. But I don't remember it being that extreme. I had a catsuit that I would wear under ripped jeans (oh, the 90's!). My mom hated that catsuit. LOL

I'm in the UK where most schools have a uniform. We would still try to push the limits even so. My uniform in sixth form (aged 16,17,18) was white shirt, burgundy and grey tie, black trousers/knee length skirt and black jumper/cardigan, black shoes (no massive heels), no jewellery whatsoever other than a plain cross (it was catholic school) minimal makeup, no unnaturally coloured hair etc. It was a fairly strict uniform policy.

I used to wear fluorescent pink bras under my white shirt as my little rebellion. Read through all the rules until I found one I could bend. Also odd socks (one black, one white cos the rules said black or white socks). I'm a rebel who can't stand to get into trouble with teachers. I'll follow your rules, but my bright, pink bra proves you don't own me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Mom is visiting for a week, and as usual woke me up at 6am by 'going gently down the stairs'. Sigh. I have a massive headache too.

She also brought back cookies and chocolates even though I specifically told her to. I still have a ton of chocolates and finished those cookies from 4 months ago last week (I used to eat the whole thing in 2 days). But she just wants to sabotage me and told me yesterday that she hopes I'm not losing more weight. I wish I could lose more just to spite her but I've been trying for a year and failed... Oh and she brought back 5 brioches that need to be eaten within 10 days too...

Confession, I feel bad for feeling that way and hating when she visits but I can't help it. It stresses me out and we always end up fighting over something. The good thing is that I'm probably going to spend more time at the gym this week just to get out of here.

I get stressed out by houseguests too. I am a routine/scheduled type of person and I feel like I can't stick to that when people are here. One or two nights? Fine. Anything more than that...I'd go crazy.
    Good for you for sticking with your gym routine...maybe eating the extra cookies/treats that she brought won't be so bad since you are sticking to your workouts. Good luck!

Main issue is the guest room is where I exercise at home, so it's out.. I'll try and sneak in on the days they are away though.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I just walked by the local high school on my lunch break. Confession: so glad I'm years beyond high school. Question: did high school aged girls always look like hookers? The amazingly short shorts with crop tops/sport bras! Holy *kitten*-child, Batman!

are you serious ? calling young girls *kitten* and hookers?sexualizing them ...how nice

geezus

Amen. And I agree about clothes, heck some things that 10yo girls wear make me shake my head sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder if their parents know how they're dressing. I've heard of kids wearing one outfit leaving home and changing at school.

I would do that in high school. Change in the back of the bus. But I don't remember it being that extreme. I had a catsuit that I would wear under ripped jeans (oh, the 90's!). My mom hated that catsuit. LOL

I'm in the UK where most schools have a uniform. We would still try to push the limits even so. My uniform in sixth form (aged 16,17,18) was white shirt, burgundy and grey tie, black trousers/knee length skirt and black jumper/cardigan, black shoes (no massive heels), no jewellery whatsoever other than a plain cross (it was catholic school) minimal makeup, no unnaturally coloured hair etc. It was a fairly strict uniform policy.

I used to wear fluorescent pink bras under my white shirt as my little rebellion. Read through all the rules until I found one I could bend. Also odd socks (one black, one white cos the rules said black or white socks). I'm a rebel who can't stand to get into trouble with teachers. I'll follow your rules, but my bright, pink bra proves you don't own me!

Hahhaa this sounds like me too! I went to catholic schools my whole life so I never knew school without a strict uniform code until college! Man, seriously I was lost- I could never figure out what to wear to class as I was so conditioned by having a uniform it became really stressful at times! Haha
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Today, my husband and I were sitting together on our respective laptops, when he suddenly looked up and demanded... "Define yourself!"

...I confess that the first two words that popped into my head and spilled out of my mouth were "Ugly. Fat."

I also confess that this makes me sad. :'(

Although I suspect that one of the first words I'd use to define myself is also "ugly", I'm now tasking you to come up with two POSITIVE attributes to replace those ones.

Off the top of my head, mine would be "funny" (I promise, I constantly make people laugh IRL, probably not so evident on here) and "analytical".

Ooh, that's a challenge! Umm, let me think... Positive attributes...

My first would probably be that I automatically think the best of people. If someone didn't show up for a meeting or did something inconsiderate, I always think of what might have been going on in their circumstances first and make excuses for them to myself, rather than just getting angry that they didn't meet my expectations.

My second... (Gosh, this is hard. X_X)... Umm... Does "I'm good at not offending people" count? Because, with confrontation being a major trigger for my anxiety, I'm pretty good at that. It doesn't sound particularly impressive, though...

Confession: It took me ten minutes to come up with those.

Happier confession: Due to some horrible financial circumstances growing up, I never got a high school diploma. After I got married, my husband paid for me to take the GED test. Well, I proudly proclaim that I received my diploma and transcripts in the mail today!

Also, I scored in the 99th percentile on ALL subjects except one, which I scored in the 97th. :)

I know I am days behind (went out of town for a long weekend to see a dear friend retire from the Air Force after 25 years), but I wanted to say congrats on your accomplishment!! That is something to be really proud of. Don't stop at that though! Keep it going.
  • spamarie
    Options
    Oh yeah it gets even more complicated because I'm from Newcastle. I don't know if any of you have seen Geordie Shore. I promise we're not all like that but might give you some idea of the lingo

cannit = can't
    divint = don't
    mortal = really drunk
    canny = decent/quite
    haway = come on
    gan = go

I'm sure there's more!

My parents live up near Newc although my mum is French. Hearing her say 'haway man' in her french accent is just hilarious.
  • spamarie
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Thanks @noaddedsugarx I look forward to all your new (to me) vocabulary!!

My exhubby is from Ireland - the words he used/uses:
    a kitchen cupboard is a press
    a trash can is a bin
    a gas station is a garage
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed
    the number 3 is not three but tree
    one person can be addressed as "you" but more than one is "yous"

edit to add:
    sneakers or tennis shoes are runners

My SO is English and we always joke if we ever had kids and it was a boy we'd name him Zed because he doesn't understand the letter "Z" and I don't get how one letter can be a word!

Also one time we were facetiming and I told him I was going to have to borrow a pair of pants from my sister as it was colder out than I thought it would be and I had only packed shorts. He cracked up and I had no idea until he quit long enough to say "I knew what you meant when you said pants but I couldn't help laughing because here we use the word pants to mean underwear" I still get a kick out of that! It's just so foreign to me I had no idea!

A piece of advice for you. Don't comment on your 'fanny' if you happen to be in the UK. If you don't know why, ask your bf, he'll explain! Fanny-pack is also a no-no!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Edit: This is to Susie:
    Oh, I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. There's no rhyme or reason to depression, so try not feel like you're wrong to feel the way you do. I think guilt is a very common issue.

I'm very worried about your talk of dying though. Do you have a doctor who's helping you? Is your husband around?

Not to worry, I've never been suicidal. :) I just want to... Stop existing, if that makes sense. It's almost midnight here and my husband is asleep, but he's around to wake up if I need him. :)

Nope, I don't have a doctor. I mentioned it like five million posts back, but I'm terrified of doctors. I tried to get help once and I just couldn't make it through the sessions. I broke down after my second one and never went back. I also never spoke to the doctor directly (my husband had to speak for me), because I have selective mutism and couldn't speak. It was a pretty useless attempt, to be honest. :-/

Have you tried videoconferencing with any doctors? There is a woman at the barn that is a psychiatrist. She has some patients she video conferences with. Perhaps that would work for you? By not being in person maybe that would help with the fear of speaking? And allow you to be more open?

Nope, it wouldn't help. :) I've tried it with my husband, and it doesn't make it any easier whether it's on a video conference or face to face. Plus, I'm pretty sure the doctors here don't offer the option, so the point is pretty moot anyway. :-/
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Early in the thread, some of you 'confessed' that you use Leslie Sansone 'Walk at Home' videos, but with the sound off because her positive, chirpy attitude is so grating.

Well...I confess that I use her videos too. Love 'em. And I keep the sound on because even though it's over-the-top, her attitude helps me =P.

I've actually started using the "sound off" tip for a lot of things now, not just her. My yoga routine is really good, but the host goes on and on about how the yoga is getting the "toxins" out of my body. I'm much less stabby when I don't listen to her.

I have to confess that I got completely turned off New Rules of Lifting for Women when I got to the part that says YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST. At that point the book lost all credibility for me.

I read and use some of that book, but I never eat breakfast. If I eat before I do cardio or early in the morning I literally vomit. So I blow a big raspberry at that bit, stick my fingers in my ears and sing lalala I can't hear you.

I have the book and tried to get into it but there were a lot of little "sticking points" like the one about eating breakfast, so I kind of put it away and forgot about it.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

a trash can is a bin
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed

edit to add:

My SO is English and we always joke if we ever had kids and it was a boy we'd name him Zed because he doesn't understand the letter "Z" and I don't get how one letter can be a word!

Also one time we were facetiming and I told him I was going to have to borrow a pair of pants from my sister as it was colder out than I thought it would be and I had only packed shorts. He cracked up and I had no idea until he quit long enough to say "I knew what you meant when you said pants but I couldn't help laughing because here we use the word pants to mean underwear" I still get a kick out of that! It's just so foreign to me I had no idea!

A piece of advice for you. Don't comment on your 'fanny' if you happen to be in the UK. If you don't know why, ask your bf, he'll explain! Fanny-pack is also a no-no!

Equally, never say you're 'going for a *kitten*' in the states

hmm ok, thats considered an offensive work on the forum. another word for cigarette, begins with F
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

a trash can is a bin
    a sweater is a jumper
    the letter z is zed

edit to add:

Ahaha seconded!

I'm British, and I was in a queue for a drink at a packed outside bar on Friday and heard an American lady tell the man she was with that her 'fanny felt so bruised after yesterday'. I'm sure she was on about something perfectly innocent, like missing her seat and bumping her coccyx, but I was nearly in tears from trying to hold in my sniggering.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I got new glasses that I think are really super cute! I have been wearing them a week and not one single person has noticed. Sad face.

That's always so disappointing! Hugs!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    So I have an update (sorta) to my horrific dental situation. I went Saturday and had a cleaning done, had a tooth pulled (which was a huge molar and in my sinus cavity, so yeah...I'm in pain), and I go back next week to get 7 fillings. Then I have another 8 fillings to do :(

The dentist gave me the "diet talk" (i.e. "do not eat/drink these foods or all the work we're doing is negated"). No pop, no coffee unless black and chased with water, cut way back on dietary sugar/acidic fruits and vegs like tomatoes, watch the lactose unless it's cheese because the casein is beneficial... *sigh* I own a home bakery business! No more tasting frostings or cake mixes :(
  • kellienw335
    Options
    I have a positive, a negative, and a confession.

FIL had a GREAT day yesterday, and is expected to continue right along (slowly) on the (long) road to recovery, as is common with heart patients. He has even transitioned back to normal eating and has started making sense of the last week's confusion and chaos all on his own. This is a huge weight off my chest.

My other half's aunt passed away yesterday. They only discovered she had cancer in early May, and she was supposed to be transported to hospice last night. Guess she didn't feel like going. She was a terrific, big hearted, mildly crazy woman with an insatiable love of spaghetti westerns. I shall miss her.

Confession: It's 9:30am and I'm trying to decide what time is acceptable to start drinking.

Glad your FIL is doing better! Sorry about your SO's aunt! I have the same thought about drinking, especially on the weekends.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Food-related confession: I'm completely fed up with long pasta like spaghetti and linguine. Manual dexterity isn't my strong suit and I get so bored with twirling it into a manageable forkful, which seems to take me an extraordinary length of time, and I end up losing most of the sauce in the process so all I taste is the noodle. And there is usually some trailing end that I can't manage to train onto the fork that thwaps me in the chin anyway. I gave up ordering these types of noodles in restaurants long ago since I can't manage to eat them gracefully.

We had some leftover meat sauce and the SO made it with linguine last night (which obviously prompted this confession!). After the first couple of mouthfuls, I decided "screw it" and started hacking it up into smaller pieces with my knife. What the hell, I was in the privacy of my own home, who cares if I commit Pasta Sacrilege?
    Being over 1000 posts behind due to a crazy week, I am just skimming through and this was the first one I stopped to comment on.....I CARE LOL
    In the hereby introductarily-implemented, paraphrased-phrasing, and quasi-quoted words of Italian_Buju... ;)

Being over 1000+ (as in, WAY more than that!) posts behind, due to (1) initially having been out of town, (2) feeling 'buried' by the avalanche-like deluge of posts I would need to navigate in order to 'catch up', (3) a subsequent intervening long holiday weekend 'taking another bite' out of 'time available for other things', and (4) having relatively busy weekends now, and for several more weeks, as a result of the sporting activities of some young relatives...

...I have finally found the 'courage' to skim through (a subset of) the thread (albeit 'backwards', in a reverse chronological fashion (temporarily 'bypassing' the 'hinterlands' of heretofore unread 'confessionary' (not to be confused with confectionary ;) ) (confessionary? -- should I make it "Confessionaria" (?), what with its both connoting {{{ -aria : a suffix; a place for; abounding in or connected with something; a place containing or related to that which is specified by the root). }}} -AND- {{{ a suffix occurring in scientific terms of Latin origin, especially in names of biological genera and groups }}}... ;) )))...

...and this was the first series of posts I stopped to comment on... ;)

crosbylee wrote: »
    I break mine in half when cooking, so shorter pieces!!
    I used to do that! It also makes it easier to get the darned things underwater in the pot.

I stopped doing it because my ex was absolutely horrified by this practice and kinda shamed me into cooking them whole. Yeah, I should've told him to get off his *kitten* and cook it himself or STFU.

Maybe I'll make that suggestion to the SO (he's the cook).
    You guys are killing me with all your pasta-icide stories! These are sins against my people!!! :p
    ...pasta-icide...(!)

...prior to today, I'd not been acquainted with this apparently stealthily-added 'extension' to the criminal code... ;)

I suddenly cannot help wondering... would it 'mess with' Italian_Buju's pasta juju (not to be confused with Zuzu's petals or Kajagoogoo ;) ) to learn of anyone *pureeing* cooked pasta -- ?! (oh, the sacrilege!)... And what of the brave souls who attempt to cook pasta in a microwave, and open the door to find that it has practically 'exploded about', and is scattered and torn (apologies to Natalie Imbruglia (and whose father is Sicilian, of all things!)), and sticking to all manner of interior surface structure...?! (accidental annihilation is no excuse! (and would a moment of silence be required?))...

...does Italian_Buju perhaps secretly wish -- and analogous to a driver's license -- that anyone who desires to cook pasta be in possession of a kind of 'learner's permit' (first!), to be followed by an official pasta cooking 'license' -- and that said license's value, in attesting to perceived pasta preparation competency, be further 'enhanced' by its being acquired in conjunction with a special 'graduation' ceremony -- let alone, one that involves a pasta version of The Hippocratic Oath (?!)...

And so... with apologies to Hippocrates, and to the man who wrote the modern day version of said oath -- Louis Lasagna (<-- I'm not making that up! -- talk about *relevant* to the discussion at hand! (oh, how truth can indeed be stranger than fiction!)), the following is a 'custom' version of the Hippocratic Oath (hereafter to be referred to as the Pastacratic Oath (not to be confused with the Pancreatic Oath or the Plutocratic Oath -- both of which are *entirely* different beasts)) ;) --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won culinary gains of those Italian pastacians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the pasta-craved, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overcooking and expeditious shortcutting.

I will remember that there is art to cooking as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may (but will rarely) outweigh the cook's experience, pasta, or sauce.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my forebears when the skills of another are needed for a recipient's palate.

I will respect the privacy of my patrons, for their palate proclivities are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of pasta and sauce. If it is given me to save a sauce from ruin, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a pasta's life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not create a recipe, or wanton taste, but a viable pasta noodle, whose integrity and physical properties may affect the consumer's satiety and sauce stickability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the pasta-hungry.

I will prevent pasta-icide whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure (at least, until edible superglue exists -- though would still involve risk of lyrics from the Natalie Imbruglia -sung song "Torn" haunting me for the remainder of my days -- {{{ Illusion never changed... into something real... You're a little late... I'm already torn... }}} -- and would be too great a cataclysmic consequence to endure).

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and palate as well as the taste-deprivation inured.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. If I do, however, violate this oath, may I enjoy leniency from the scepter of the patron saint of pasta, Italian_Buju, whose tutelary spirit and pasta advocacy have mitigated the incidence of pasta-icide the world over, and whose intolerance for spoon-spun mouthfuls being cut into spoon-scoopable bitefuls would make even Louis Lasagna rue the day any such line were crossed. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of feeding those who seek my food.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long live pasta... and may its uncut ribbonry, spin-spun spoonery, and sauce-sloshed-surface stickery break nary an Italian_Buju's heart, defy nary a ythannah's wishes, nor cross any crosbylee cookery if cut, cracked, crushed, or crumbled... the sanctity of pasta's 'rights to assembly', and its rights to redress (with a red dress -- aka pasta sauce), are at stake... and Italian_Buju -- a kind of Superhero -like defender of all things Italian, and a world-renowned Pasta Rights Activist -- remains at the forefront of this battle to ensure pasta's dignity, liberty, and sauceability... may our long, national nightmare of cut pasta soon be over... may amnesty be bestowed upon those guilty of pasta-icide... and may we all find peace in the sauce-dressed recesses of the carbohydrative 'pockets' of pasta's palate-pleasing primacy...

;)

<.<

>.>

>.<

I will go over the rules once.....

Pasta is to be cooked, in very salty water, only until it is al dente (to the tooth!), meaning it is chewy and NOT too soft....if something distracts me and I over cook even slightly, I will throw it out and start again....

It is NOT to be rinsed after cooking at all, unless being used in a cold dish....

Sauce (gravy, what ever you want to call it), should be place on top as soon after cooking as possible, to avoid the pasta becoming sticky. It must NEVER come from a can. *gags*

You eat the pasta first, with parm cheese of course, and then the meatball or whatever meat you have, with a salad (oil and vinegar), and your bread. Under NO circumstances are you to break long pastas in half....lol.

Does everyone understand now???

I confess that I have been craving pasta for two days because of this thread......personally I can eat pasta every day and did before I had kids, but they do not like it as often as me. I am not kidding, my father and I could literally eat it every single day, and have gone months at a time without skipping a day.

My son, who is obviously half Italian, and also half Jamaican, (Pastafarian), can eat it more than my daughter, her bio family was more potato people, so she only likes it sometimes. Before my daughter came to live with me, potatoes were something I might buy one or two of in a few weeks....now I buy them by the bag, lol.
  • kellienw335
    Options
    I'm on page 721 but I have an awesome NSV!!

I ran my third half marathon today and I came in 45/885 runners and 2nd in my age group!

I also ran my best time!

That's amazing! Good for you!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

geezus

As well she should have. Really, a catsuit?! I think we all need to see pictures.

I don't think I have any. It was long-sleeved and flowered and zipped up the back. The cloth would show through the rips in the jeans. I thought I was pretty awesome in that. Wish I had the body I had then.

ETA: I feel like I should add this from Wikipedia: A catsuit is a close-fitting one-piece garment that covers the torso and the legs, and frequently the arms.[1] They are usually made from stretchable material, such as lycra, chiffon, spandex.

How did you use the restroom while wearing this thing?! This is why women go to restroom in pairs. :smiley:

Well, you didn't wait until the last minute, that's for sure!

I'm all about the jumpsuits right now and to pee, you have to undress to the waist and kind of sling it over one arm...let's just say I won't be wearing them to any festivals this year with any kind of port-o-potties because they are exceedingly difficult to keep off the floor.

Also, on the clothing note, I grew up in that part of the 90s where crop tops AND low-rise jeans were in style at the same time, so I'm just relieved that at least the trend now seems to be high-rise bottoms with the crop tops so you only see the upper half of the stomach. Way cuter.

I remember how bad I wanted a pair of low rise Levi's when their "belly button" commercials came out. Remember those?

Definitely! I also had a pair of super-low-rise jeans that had a LACE UP fly instead of a zipper or buttons...klassy klassy klassy. Looking back I cannot believe my mother let me out of the house in them as I think you could see my hipbones above the waistband. I definitely wore those to school though...

I had a pair of pants like that too. LOVED them. Christina Aguilera wore pants in a couple videos that laced up on the hips, and I wanted a pair so bad!

ETA: Although the fashion may be different, I suppose teenage girls are the same lol.

Right? I see them around and I'm mostly just relieved that there aren't visible g-strings like when I was their age. The leggings and crop tops are not nearly as offensive or revealing, thankfully. And I love that lots of very loose, flowy tops and dresses are trendy now. Way better than those painted-on ultra low-rise jeans and tube tops I loved...not to mention the platforms and huge wedge heels. I had a pair of six-inch wedge sandals that laced up my calves too about fifteen years ago...eesh. Ooh, and the huge chunky highlights on the flatironed hair.

I'm not even 30 yet so it's a little early for pearl-clutching but I seriously think teenagers today don't look nearly as, uh, trashy as my high school classmates did.

Oh ya, I forgot about that... I wasn't one to have my underwear hanging out, but there were lots of girls out like that. I guess I can no longer talk about "kids these days" when it comes to fashion choices :blush:

Oh ya, I forgot about that... I wasn't one to have my underwear hanging out, but there were lots of girls out like that. I guess I can no longer talk about "kids these days" when it comes to fashion choices :blush:

I remember girls used to pull their thong up on purpose so it was showing and the Head Teacher called a girls assembly in school to stop it from happening.

Ps. When I'm on this board I find myself constantly questioning if I should Americanize words cos a lot of you are from there. I've thought this about Mum/Mom, sunbeds/tanning beds, Head teacher/Principal, bum/butt, *kitten*/*kitten* and I'm sure there's more... B)

Jumper always got me. How does that equal sweater? LOL

I have a friend who got very irritated when I told him that every time he mentioned his "jumper," I was picturing him wearing one of these:
    funtasia-girls-reversible-red-christmas-plaid-jumper-dress-27.jpg

Nice.

I have to admit I had some of those jeans with the fold down button fly. I believe they were even acid wash with ankle zippers. I also, I'm sad to admit, had a pair of low rise skintight jeans that had no pockets but did have a huge attached faux belt. I wore these AFTER I had my daughter and I thought I looked hot. I looked ridiculous.

I'm glad I dress more classic and age appropriate now.

I'm 44 and my daughter is 16. We are just about exactly the same size (she's a bit more slender and a bit taller but same clothing and shoe size. We have different coloring and face shapes but people instantly know she's my daughter.) We very often look at each other in the morning and realize that we're matchy matchy. For example a blue knit v neck top, jeans, boots and hair in a ponytail. It makes me laugh and makes her stomp off to change. She's fairly conservative and classic in her dress and dresses up often. My work is often in a lab so jeans are often fine. I tell her that either I have good taste or she has horrible taste in clothes. She wears a summer dress that I bought 22 years ago and looks lovely in it. She took and kept some jeans, riding boots, pumps, and a few dresses. So my question: What is age appropriate and what is ageless?

I am a smaller size right now than I have been since before I had children (they are now 31.29 and 27 years old) I am discovering all kinds of new options in clothing and wonder at times if what I am putting on is age appropriate. Just today I was showing my daughter - the 27 year old some things I bought to wear on vacation next week and she said "Oh wow mom, we can share clothes now - well - after I have this baby anyway" and we both cracked up.

I think age appropriate is a term that can be over limiting. Certainly if your daughter is approving then it is fine. I think all ages can look good in similar clothes. I think all ages can look good in short or long hair. Perhaps quality and fit and cut are more important than an exact style.

Congrats on your good work. I'm sure you are looking great!

I struggle with the "age appropriate" thing all the time, especially as I am now over 50. And, unfortunately, the mainstream styles marketed toward my age group aren't "my" personal style, nor do they fit/suit my body type since I am tall and small-busted... junior clothes seem to be tailored for longer/leaner bodies these days.

There was a thread here a while back about whether or not middle-aged women could wear shorter-length skirts, and the responses were overwhelmingly positive. It kinda changed my mindset about being "appropriate". Not that I wear skirts or dresses a whole lot, since they don't work too well with knee-high compression stockings :( nor would I ever wear something shorter for work, but I'm now more willing to indulge the SO's fashion requests occasionally, lol.

May I ask why you wear these and if it helps? Also, are they comfortable? I got a pair over a year ago, I have never worn them, even after going through the trouble of getting fitted etc......

I have a condition called lymphedema where fluid collects in one of my legs and doesn't return into normal circulation. There is no treatment, only "management", and daily wear of compression stockings is essential.

I hated them at first but gradually came to accept that they do help. They're quite comfortable (more so than a swollen leg certainly) and I find they make both my legs, even the unaffected one, feel less fatigued at the end of the day.

Maybe I will have to give them a try. My DR wants me to wear them when I am going to have a particularly long day on my feet as when I am standing for more than about ten hours I end up with blood pooling in my ankles. I have been worried about trying them.....
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Food-related confession: I'm completely fed up with long pasta like spaghetti and linguine. Manual dexterity isn't my strong suit and I get so bored with twirling it into a manageable forkful, which seems to take me an extraordinary length of time, and I end up losing most of the sauce in the process so all I taste is the noodle. And there is usually some trailing end that I can't manage to train onto the fork that thwaps me in the chin anyway. I gave up ordering these types of noodles in restaurants long ago since I can't manage to eat them gracefully.

We had some leftover meat sauce and the SO made it with linguine last night (which obviously prompted this confession!). After the first couple of mouthfuls, I decided "screw it" and started hacking it up into smaller pieces with my knife. What the hell, I was in the privacy of my own home, who cares if I commit Pasta Sacrilege?

Again way behind here- but wanted to say that I pick up the noodles with my fork then twirl it onto a spoon which helps get all the goodness in the bite you want. But I appreciate your description. Made me smile.
  • kellienw335
    Options
    Thinking of making a post on the main forum: 'I just ate a Fibre One lemon bar and it was stale. I ate it anyway, but is it true that stale food has fewer calories?'
    How do you think that would go down?

I think you'll get better results if you save it for Friday.
    True. Maybe I'll mention that I'm eating them as part of my cleanse.

It's Monday morning and I was having kind of a crappy morning until I read this! LOL over here!
  • kellienw335
    Options
    I've been extremely, extremely depressed today. I've only gotten out of bed to pray my five daily prayers and then got right back into it to cry and sleep and cry and sleep some more. I figured that if I slept long enough, I might not wake up again. Didn't quite work, as you can see. *sigh*

On a related confession, I feel so guilty that I can suffer from severe depression when I have such a wonderful life. A wonderful husband, a beautiful apartment, everything I need or want at my fingertips. So many people have nothing and so many people want to live, so what right do I have to want to die? Also, what in the world is so wrong with me that I would feel this way when my life is almost perfect, especially when compared to my childhood? One of the supreme mysteries of the universe. :-/

Sorry you're having a terrible day. Have you tried seeing a therapist? From your posts I understand that you have trouble talking to strangers, but maybe you could find a female therapist.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Being over 1000 posts behind due to a crazy week, I am just skimming through and this was the first one I stopped to comment on.....I CARE LOL
    In the hereby introductarily-implemented, paraphrased-phrasing, and quasi-quoted words of Italian_Buju... ;)

Being over 1000+ (as in, WAY more than that!) posts behind, due to (1) initially having been out of town, (2) feeling 'buried' by the avalanche-like deluge of posts I would need to navigate in order to 'catch up', (3) a subsequent intervening long holiday weekend 'taking another bite' out of 'time available for other things', and (4) having relatively busy weekends now, and for several more weeks, as a result of the sporting activities of some young relatives...

...I have finally found the 'courage' to skim through (a subset of) the thread (albeit 'backwards', in a reverse chronological fashion (temporarily 'bypassing' the 'hinterlands' of heretofore unread 'confessionary' (not to be confused with confectionary ;) ) (confessionary? -- should I make it "Confessionaria" (?), what with its both connoting {{{ -aria : a suffix; a place for; abounding in or connected with something; a place containing or related to that which is specified by the root). }}} -AND- {{{ a suffix occurring in scientific terms of Latin origin, especially in names of biological genera and groups }}}... ;) )))...

...and this was the first series of posts I stopped to comment on... ;)

crosbylee wrote: »
    I break mine in half when cooking, so shorter pieces!!
    I used to do that! It also makes it easier to get the darned things underwater in the pot.

I stopped doing it because my ex was absolutely horrified by this practice and kinda shamed me into cooking them whole. Yeah, I should've told him to get off his *kitten* and cook it himself or STFU.

Maybe I'll make that suggestion to the SO (he's the cook).
    You guys are killing me with all your pasta-icide stories! These are sins against my people!!! :p
    ...pasta-icide...(!)

...prior to today, I'd not been acquainted with this apparently stealthily-added 'extension' to the criminal code... ;)

I suddenly cannot help wondering... would it 'mess with' Italian_Buju's pasta juju (not to be confused with Zuzu's petals or Kajagoogoo ;) ) to learn of anyone *pureeing* cooked pasta -- ?! (oh, the sacrilege!)... And what of the brave souls who attempt to cook pasta in a microwave, and open the door to find that it has practically 'exploded about', and is scattered and torn (apologies to Natalie Imbruglia (and whose father is Sicilian, of all things!)), and sticking to all manner of interior surface structure...?! (accidental annihilation is no excuse! (and would a moment of silence be required?))...

...does Italian_Buju perhaps secretly wish -- and analogous to a driver's license -- that anyone who desires to cook pasta be in possession of a kind of 'learner's permit' (first!), to be followed by an official pasta cooking 'license' -- and that said license's value, in attesting to perceived pasta preparation competency, be further 'enhanced' by its being acquired in conjunction with a special 'graduation' ceremony -- let alone, one that involves a pasta version of The Hippocratic Oath (?!)...

And so... with apologies to Hippocrates, and to the man who wrote the modern day version of said oath -- Louis Lasagna (<-- I'm not making that up! -- talk about *relevant* to the discussion at hand! (oh, how truth can indeed be stranger than fiction!)), the following is a 'custom' version of the Hippocratic Oath (hereafter to be referred to as the Pastacratic Oath (not to be confused with the Pancreatic Oath or the Plutocratic Oath -- both of which are *entirely* different beasts)) ;) --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won culinary gains of those Italian pastacians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the pasta-craved, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overcooking and expeditious shortcutting.

I will remember that there is art to cooking as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may (but will rarely) outweigh the cook's experience, pasta, or sauce.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my forebears when the skills of another are needed for a recipient's palate.

I will respect the privacy of my patrons, for their palate proclivities are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of pasta and sauce. If it is given me to save a sauce from ruin, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a pasta's life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not create a recipe, or wanton taste, but a viable pasta noodle, whose integrity and physical properties may affect the consumer's satiety and sauce stickability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the pasta-hungry.

I will prevent pasta-icide whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure (at least, until edible superglue exists -- though would still involve risk of lyrics from the Natalie Imbruglia -sung song "Torn" haunting me for the remainder of my days -- {{{ Illusion never changed... into something real... You're a little late... I'm already torn... }}} -- and would be too great a cataclysmic consequence to endure).

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and palate as well as the taste-deprivation inured.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. If I do, however, violate this oath, may I enjoy leniency from the scepter of the patron saint of pasta, Italian_Buju, whose tutelary spirit and pasta advocacy have mitigated the incidence of pasta-icide the world over, and whose intolerance for spoon-spun mouthfuls being cut into spoon-scoopable bitefuls would make even Louis Lasagna rue the day any such line were crossed. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of feeding those who seek my food.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long live pasta... and may its uncut ribbonry, spin-spun spoonery, and sauce-sloshed-surface stickery break nary an Italian_Buju's heart, defy nary a ythannah's wishes, nor cross any crosbylee cookery if cut, cracked, crushed, or crumbled... the sanctity of pasta's 'rights to assembly', and its rights to redress (with a red dress -- aka pasta sauce), are at stake... and Italian_Buju -- a kind of Superhero -like defender of all things Italian, and a world-renowned Pasta Rights Activist -- remains at the forefront of this battle to ensure pasta's dignity, liberty, and sauceability... may our long, national nightmare of cut pasta soon be over... may amnesty be bestowed upon those guilty of pasta-icide... and may we all find peace in the sauce-dressed recesses of the carbohydrative 'pockets' of pasta's palate-pleasing primacy...

;)

<.<

>.>

>.<

I will go over the rules once.....

Pasta is to be cooked, in very salty water, only until it is al dente (to the tooth!), meaning it is chewy and NOT too soft....if something distracts me and I over cook even slightly, I will throw it out and start again....

It is NOT to be rinsed after cooking at all, unless being used in a cold dish....

Sauce (gravy, what ever you want to call it), should be place on top as soon after cooking as possible, to avoid the pasta becoming sticky. It must NEVER come from a can. *gags*

You eat the pasta first, with parm cheese of course, and then the meatball or whatever meat you have, with a salad (oil and vinegar), and your bread. Under NO circumstances are you to break long pastas in half....lol.

Does everyone understand now???

I confess that I have been craving pasta for two days because of this thread......personally I can eat pasta every day and did before I had kids, but they do not like it as often as me. I am not kidding, my father and I could literally eat it every single day, and have gone months at a time without skipping a day.

My son, who is obviously half Italian, and also half Jamaican, (Pastafarian), can eat it more than my daughter, her bio family was more potato people, so she only likes it sometimes. Before my daughter came to live with me, potatoes were something I might buy one or two of in a few weeks....now I buy them by the bag, lol.

@qn4bx9pzg8aifd "Pasta-cide" I love it!

What is the reason behind "very salty water"? Since I restrict sodium, salty anything is anathema to me... and I don't think I could resist rinsing after that.

And no oil in the water? When I was a teen, my BFF's mother (who cooked in a school cafeteria) taught me that one adds about a teaspoon of cooking oil to the pasta water. Which probably helps explain why sauce doesn't adhere well, lol. But my SO prepares it the same way.