Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I am taking my little boy in to the vets in an hour to be put down. I know its the right thing to do, the vet agreed, yet I feel terribly guilty and still am wondering if I am making a mistake....

I know things like this get better with time, but right now it feels like my heart has been ripped out and stomped and I don't know how I will ever recover...

R.I.P. little rodent boy

This broke my heart. I know I'm behind in saying this, but, I am so, so sorry you had to go through this. It's never easy losing a pet. At least he's at peace now. Hugs.

• m4n1x
    m4n1x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 oatmeal and raisin cookies! Damn it!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    This morning I was able to put on a shirt that previously was tight. I was super stoked that it was loose and hung straight down from my chest without clinging to my hips or rear end. Then I became depressed because it seriously occurred to me that I've been trying to look like Sponge Bob square pants and walk like a robot my whole life. My mother told me that only *kitten* showed their hips and my step-father told me that only fat slutty *kitten* wiggled when they walked.

I don't wear red either. Even though I love red and I look awesome in red. I am pale skinned, with dark hair and green eyes. I look spectacular in red and I can't wear it because only sluts wear red. I am now upset and pissed off because I know even if I were to buy something that clings in red I probably wouldn't be able to wear it out of the house. I'd be afraid everyone was staring at me for the wrong reasons. I feel pathetic. :/

I'm thinking you should try to get past this with baby steps... a little splash of colour here and there to start, some mildly wiggle-generating mid-height heels... and work your way up.

My mother held the odd notion that "only widows wear black" but fortunately that didn't get passed on to me and I wear a lot of black. Oh, and when I was a teen somebody told her that only sluts wear big earrings. That was her one and only piece of advice to me upon starting high school. Lol. (I just put them on after I left the house)

I've never been much for wearing bright colours or fancy patterns since I've always preferred to fade into the background, but I've slowly been adding more vibrant clothes into my wardrobe.

Yes, that is pretty much what I do. Pretty much all of my clothing is a shade of black or grey with some blue jeans thrown in.

I was raised the same way. And talk about double messages - this was in a family where I can guarantee that my mother would collapse into hysterics if she thought I might possibly approach a weight over 100 pounds in high school. This stuff is absolutely freaking psychosis-inducing =P

I can only say that after gradually shedding a lot of the idiocy that had gotten shoved into my poor brain, I finally came around to firmly believing that every woman should own at least one blazing red dress and a good pair of "f*** me" pumps. And then wear 'em for YOURSELF - without regard to anybody else's dumb beliefs or stereotypes.

Good lord. I'm surprised sometimes that so many of us get through this life to turn out as basically sane, basically decent human beings - we get so much toxic crap thrown at us.

Amen! And I'm sorry for all the struggles everyone has endured regarding this topic. One correction, though: ONE pair of f*** pumps?! Oh, honey, I have a closet full of them! Worn with my discreet, professional clothes every day I get lots of use out of all of them and they make me feel fabulous!

I second this! I have a whole collection of beautiful shoes, which, when not on my feet, live in clear plastic boxes, so i can admire them. I have a wall of shoes**. I often wear all black outfits, and set them off with fabulous red shoes (i have about 10 pairs of red ones)

**i may also have a shoe addiction. Please don't ask about my handbags.

For the past several years hubby and I were getting out of debt and accumulating savings so shopping for unnecessary items was a no no. My shoe collection consists of two pairs of casual sneakers, one pair of outdoor gym shoes, one pair of indoor gym shoes, one pair of winter boots, one pair of water shoes, one pair of flip flops (which are in my gym bag for showering purposes because shower floors are gross), one pair of steel toes, one pair of black summer sandals, and one pair of slip on Sketchers that have holes in them for gardening. Oh and I have one pair of black flats that are glued together on the bottom at work and one pair of black slip on heals at work which are very worn to the point they should be replaced.

I just bought my first pair of white sandal heels last week and I got them on sale... I feel so pretty in them.

I admit that when I was at my heaviest, I didn't have the confidence to wear any pretty clothes so I didn't buy anything nice. Buying those white sandals was so liberating.

I confess that I don't understand anybody's obsession with hand bags. It is just a bag!

You go wash your mouth out with soap right now, young lady!

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    Bread is my weakness!! I loooove bread, sometimes I have to put all of my willpower into not eating the whole loaf with a side of brie.
    I go to Panera just so I can have a little baguette with my over-priced salad.
    I had the strawberry poppyseed salad at Panera with a little baugette last weekend, such a great little meal.

I love the quinoa and lentil bowl and the Soba noodle one. I also love the Mediterranean pesto sandwich but avoid it now to avoid the bread!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Double post, so here's a random fact: I just got a call from a recruiting firm. Interesting.

if you don't want it send it my way if its in marketing and advertising. :)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    Confession: Honestly, I'm not happy with the thread being stickied. We'll very likely get an influx of sarcastic, unkind, or snarky people ruining our nice thread mojo. *sniffle* :'(

Call me jaded, but that was my first thought too.
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    What value does this thread bring to General Diet and Weight Loss Help that warrants a sticky status? If page count is a factor, there are plenty of "who wants to see who naked" discussions in Chit Chat that are probably more worthy than this.
    Ok, serious answer, after thinking about it a little. Honestly, I believe this thread alone has kept a bunch of us here on MFP - people who may have wandered off, lost their motivation, felt intimidated to ask questions, or unsupported elsewhere. If one person improves their health and wellness by being part of this thread, then, yes, it warrants sticky status.

I have no problem with the existence of this thread. I just stand by the belief that suggested reading (ie, stickies), should be educational and pertain to the topic of the forum. As far as fun items to give people a reason to return to the site, that's what Chit Chat is for. But that's just me, don't let me rain on your parade. Obviously this thread is popular, just not informative.

"Informative" is a matter of opinion. I, for one, feel VERY "informed" when Pancake announces that he has to pee or we get health updates on various pets.

I now know 100% more about the Muslim religion than I knew a week ago. And this is a good thing.

I've learned a bunch of terms for unusual phobias.

I know how many more exotic varieties of Pop Tarts and peanut butter and breakfast cereal exist in countries other than Canada.

Knowledge is good. :)

Sure, informative is a matter of opinion. And I also agree that knowledge is good, I seek out lots of it! I simply fail to see the value of directing members, often times who are new, who are seeking information and knowledge about General Diet and Weight Loss (the purpose of this particular sub-forum) to this particular thread. And thank you for making my point with examples of non-diet/weight loss things your learned from this thread.

It was tongue in cheek, as I'm sure you realized. Although I do think Pop Tarts and peanut butter and cereal fall into the diet category.

There have been hundreds of diet/fitness/weight loss questions and tips posted throughout this thread, you just have to wade through 783 pages to find them. Several of us have learned a rather effective upper body workout right here.

A few effective tips, among 783 pages, warranting a status of a helpful thread. Got it.

For the sake of ceasing to derail the purpose of THIS particular thread. I confess to having 3 IPAs last night, BEFORE hitting the weights.

Well, hello, Snarkmeister...

Listen, we aren't suddenly convening before some sort of MFP Supreme Court (and you aren't some sort of Chief Judge (though you do appear to be embracing a role akin to that of a Prosecuting Attorney)), and we don't suddenly need to justify the actions of someone (let alone, someone who has nothing to do with this thread!) doing something we never requested in the first place (and, frankly, involves a reality some of us don't *want*) -- and so we shouldn't be expected to have you or anyone else 'set up kleig lights', and expect us to 'subject ourselves to interrogation' (as though you were some sort of self-appointed attorney, judge, and jury... or some such entity hellbent on seeing a perceived form of 'justice' done)...

If you don't want to participate in the thread, then please, by all means, move on...! -- that is, unless you need to rant about something (other than 'this', or 'us', that is), in which case you are welcome to rant away...!

The world has enough people p*ssing on others -- there's no need to add to *that* 'status quo' (which, not-so-ironically, is part of what this thread is about -- assisting, being helpful, not judging, etc.)...

(...and yeah, my not sprinkling your sudden sarcasm-laced insults with 'rose petals' is not exactly representative of 'this thread'... however, it is a rare thing for rudeness to 'swoop in' on this thread... and I can't stand behavior that reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker -- Mean People Suck...)

Hi there aggressive one! I have no desire to see this thread removed, pretty sure I made that clear. But I stand by what I believe to be a valid point regarding MFP choosing this as a helpful thread within the context of the sub forum in which it exists. Not attacking the participants of this thread, not the purpose of this thread, simply stating that it's purpose isn't necessarily on point with the purpose of why a thread should be a sticky. Sorry you have such a personal attachment and felt offended as a result, but I prefer logic over emotion.

she's not agressive, she's being honest.
    if you're struggling so much with the purpose of this thread, and can't see how it might help newbies who are normally ripped apart for the most simplest of questions elsewhere, that's on you, not us.

There's no struggle, the purpose of this thread is not currently related to General Diet and Weight Loss. Again, I have not said it serves no purpose, it just doesn't serve the purpose of this sub forum to the point of being a sticky. New members should have a central location, supported by MFP, to find valuable info to assist them in gaining the knowledge requires to successfully navigate through the contention that occurs in the forums. There are no questions in here that are being clarified, so I don't follow your argument of it being a safe haven for newbies. Is this designed to educate? I don't see it if it is. If you have a rational argument as to what this brings to newbies as far as helping them reach their fitness or weight goals, I'm all ears, but don't chastise me for making a valid comment that none have been able to debate within the context of my point.

Off the top of my head from just the past few weeks:
    Binge eating related to stress, hormonal issues, depression, and death in the family
    Overeating due to travel for work or vacation
    Undereating due to underlying disordered behavior
    Dealing with a family member who potentially has an eating disorder
    How to handle food situations when you have out of town guests
    Unlogged food, the potential psychological impact, and whether or not it's better to log it or ignore it
    Workout schedule interruptions due to illness or injury
    Advice for starting new workout routines or expanding existing ones
    Recommendations comparing and contrasting different lifting programs
    How to deal with alcohol in relation to eating and overeating
    How to deal with alcohol addiction and its impact on health and weight

Exactly which of these is not relative to General Diet and Weight Loss?

You also hit the nail on the head
    :smiley:

Thank you for actually engaging, I appreciate a good debate, especially with one who cares. Do you feel that a single thread, addressing all of those topics, quite briefly, and scattered throughout 789 pages, is helpful to the average new member? I really am not picking a fight, and appreciate different points of view. Here's mine, in more detail, since a couple seem to either care, or are perturbed by my presence. And my confession, is that my point of view is from a former newbie, who came to this sight with many assumptions, unknowns, and misguided beliefs that I held to be true. It took me a long time to understand what people talk about, and fight about, in these forums. And longer still to piece together how that all applies to what I am trying to achieve. I simply want to see new members have an easier time than I did. So here is the picture, as it is in my head....

New member joins, hoping to lose weight and gain knowledge about how to reverse whatever caused them to be where they are today. They head to the forums, to read up on current discussions, since that's what forums tend to be about. They signed up, and signed in, for the purpose of learning how to make a plan. The MFP goal setting confused them somewhat, so forums seem to be a good place to go for help. They bypass the chit chat, because they are here for a purpose. General Diet and Weight Loss seems a reasonable place to start. But they are quickly overwhelmed by numerous threads debating the validity of various acronyms they don't understand. They see a link, right at the top, created by MFP staff, "Most Helpful Posts", so they figure, good place to start, especially if it's suggested by MFP. Where I lose the story is how, with 789 pages of randomness, even if there are some good topics in here, is this thread useful enough to be given the status of "most helpful posts", as it equates to General Diet and Weight Loss. Especially for the newbies that we all seem to care about??? I accept that this thread has value to many. I accept that mental reprieve is useful, especially for the overwhelmed. The responses and number of pages alone are evident that this has become a repository for that. But, with complete honesty, I can't see how it is one of the most helpful threads in regards to THIS particular sub topic. It doesn't focus on General Diet or weight loss, and is nothing more than hundreds of pages of what happens to be on someone's mind at that point in time. Let the thread live on, but don't raise it to the level of most helpful, when there are still very simple topics that new members don't understand, and would benefit by threads clarifying the basics, without clutter.

I can't make it any more clear than that, so if anyone really wants to continue a debate, which I am happy to do, I offer to do it via PM, or a new post. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

I really wanted to comment on this and didn't want to wait while I was off work (but I'm really busy at work and shouldn't be on here but whatevs.... It is currently 8:25 my time and I am sure many others have already responded given how fast this thread moves.

I was a previous newbie and still quite a newbie to forums in general. For months I didn't even realize threads were "stickied". Until yesterday, I didn't even know what "stickied" meant. I think that this thread, all 790 pages so far have been really informative. As a newbie who doesn't know where to start and, perhaps doesn't know the etiquette of forums (or the search function of forums) may post questions that have been posted before. We have all seen the same threads about the same topics ("I am counting all my calories and not losing weight... why?"; or I am going to do this detox or that detox") and then get blasted by others who have been on here for a long time. Here is a safe place to ask those questions without being judged and that in itself is VERY helpful IMHO.

I feel that if you have a "supportive" community that will understand the hardships most of us experience and feel safe in expressing whatever it is that they are struggling with is very helpful. here, you can ask any dumb question without fear that you are going to be judged for simply not knowing or understanding. There is so much mis-information out there and if I were to go into a different thread and ask a question simply because I don't know something and then got blasted and bullied and target with gifs (eventhough they are quite funny), I would be discouraged and would probably leave all together and start all over. Or I would feel so bad about what happened that I would leave and comfort myself with food and will be worse off than I was before.

Even though there is a lot of randomness in this thread, I feel many people struggle through their journey because of the support in this thread when they may have just given up because everyone on here is so nice and supportive no matter what any individual is going through. That in itself is helpful and if this thread can help bring people together so we can all support each other in battling our own demons without fear of being thrown to the wolves then I would say that warrants a sticky status.

(also many of us are introverts with very few friends IRL and I feel we all crave a little support, even if it is virtual).

Nice to wake up and see well thought out responses. Good things can come about from remaining civil, and by having an open mind. As an example, I have a higher respect for this thread, on account of polite debate with a couple of you. A similar mindset, and adaptability would be useful in other threads. I appreciate the support aspect and sense of community that this thread has created for many of you. From reading several replies to my post, I feel compelled to modify my stance. I still stand by my feeling that this should not be a sticky in THIS sub forum, but now absolutely believe it warrants sticky status in the Motivation and Support sub forum. There are many pleasant folks here, and I feel your attitudes and this thread would be more useful there. This sub forum can get brutal at times, and Chit Chat is, well, yeah, but seeing this live on in the manner several of you have described is a good idea. Thank you to those who maintain respectful communication, and have a great Friday everyone!

I see you have drunk our kool-aid. ;)

I also don't think that anyone would disagree with you that this is definitely a more motivation/support thread than general weight loss. Perhaps it was just born in the wrong decade, as the kids say? ;)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Confession: Honestly, I'm not happy with the thread being stickied. We'll very likely get an influx of sarcastic, unkind, or snarky people ruining our nice thread mojo. *sniffle* :'(

Call me jaded, but that was my first thought too.
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    What value does this thread bring to General Diet and Weight Loss Help that warrants a sticky status? If page count is a factor, there are plenty of "who wants to see who naked" discussions in Chit Chat that are probably more worthy than this.
    Ok, serious answer, after thinking about it a little. Honestly, I believe this thread alone has kept a bunch of us here on MFP - people who may have wandered off, lost their motivation, felt intimidated to ask questions, or unsupported elsewhere. If one person improves their health and wellness by being part of this thread, then, yes, it warrants sticky status.

I have no problem with the existence of this thread. I just stand by the belief that suggested reading (ie, stickies), should be educational and pertain to the topic of the forum. As far as fun items to give people a reason to return to the site, that's what Chit Chat is for. But that's just me, don't let me rain on your parade. Obviously this thread is popular, just not informative.

"Informative" is a matter of opinion. I, for one, feel VERY "informed" when Pancake announces that he has to pee or we get health updates on various pets.

I now know 100% more about the Muslim religion than I knew a week ago. And this is a good thing.

I've learned a bunch of terms for unusual phobias.

I know how many more exotic varieties of Pop Tarts and peanut butter and breakfast cereal exist in countries other than Canada.

Knowledge is good. :)

Sure, informative is a matter of opinion. And I also agree that knowledge is good, I seek out lots of it! I simply fail to see the value of directing members, often times who are new, who are seeking information and knowledge about General Diet and Weight Loss (the purpose of this particular sub-forum) to this particular thread. And thank you for making my point with examples of non-diet/weight loss things your learned from this thread.

It was tongue in cheek, as I'm sure you realized. Although I do think Pop Tarts and peanut butter and cereal fall into the diet category.

There have been hundreds of diet/fitness/weight loss questions and tips posted throughout this thread, you just have to wade through 783 pages to find them. Several of us have learned a rather effective upper body workout right here.

A few effective tips, among 783 pages, warranting a status of a helpful thread. Got it.

For the sake of ceasing to derail the purpose of THIS particular thread. I confess to having 3 IPAs last night, BEFORE hitting the weights.

Well, hello, Snarkmeister...

Listen, we aren't suddenly convening before some sort of MFP Supreme Court (and you aren't some sort of Chief Judge (though you do appear to be embracing a role akin to that of a Prosecuting Attorney)), and we don't suddenly need to justify the actions of someone (let alone, someone who has nothing to do with this thread!) doing something we never requested in the first place (and, frankly, involves a reality some of us don't *want*) -- and so we shouldn't be expected to have you or anyone else 'set up kleig lights', and expect us to 'subject ourselves to interrogation' (as though you were some sort of self-appointed attorney, judge, and jury... or some such entity hellbent on seeing a perceived form of 'justice' done)...

If you don't want to participate in the thread, then please, by all means, move on...! -- that is, unless you need to rant about something (other than 'this', or 'us', that is), in which case you are welcome to rant away...!

The world has enough people p*ssing on others -- there's no need to add to *that* 'status quo' (which, not-so-ironically, is part of what this thread is about -- assisting, being helpful, not judging, etc.)...

(...and yeah, my not sprinkling your sudden sarcasm-laced insults with 'rose petals' is not exactly representative of 'this thread'... however, it is a rare thing for rudeness to 'swoop in' on this thread... and I can't stand behavior that reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker -- Mean People Suck...)

Hi there aggressive one! I have no desire to see this thread removed, pretty sure I made that clear. But I stand by what I believe to be a valid point regarding MFP choosing this as a helpful thread within the context of the sub forum in which it exists. Not attacking the participants of this thread, not the purpose of this thread, simply stating that it's purpose isn't necessarily on point with the purpose of why a thread should be a sticky. Sorry you have such a personal attachment and felt offended as a result, but I prefer logic over emotion.

she's not agressive, she's being honest.
    if you're struggling so much with the purpose of this thread, and can't see how it might help newbies who are normally ripped apart for the most simplest of questions elsewhere, that's on you, not us.

There's no struggle, the purpose of this thread is not currently related to General Diet and Weight Loss. Again, I have not said it serves no purpose, it just doesn't serve the purpose of this sub forum to the point of being a sticky. New members should have a central location, supported by MFP, to find valuable info to assist them in gaining the knowledge requires to successfully navigate through the contention that occurs in the forums. There are no questions in here that are being clarified, so I don't follow your argument of it being a safe haven for newbies. Is this designed to educate? I don't see it if it is. If you have a rational argument as to what this brings to newbies as far as helping them reach their fitness or weight goals, I'm all ears, but don't chastise me for making a valid comment that none have been able to debate within the context of my point.

Off the top of my head from just the past few weeks:
    Binge eating related to stress, hormonal issues, depression, and death in the family
    Overeating due to travel for work or vacation
    Undereating due to underlying disordered behavior
    Dealing with a family member who potentially has an eating disorder
    How to handle food situations when you have out of town guests
    Unlogged food, the potential psychological impact, and whether or not it's better to log it or ignore it
    Workout schedule interruptions due to illness or injury
    Advice for starting new workout routines or expanding existing ones
    Recommendations comparing and contrasting different lifting programs
    How to deal with alcohol in relation to eating and overeating
    How to deal with alcohol addiction and its impact on health and weight

Exactly which of these is not relative to General Diet and Weight Loss?

You also hit the nail on the head
    :smiley:

Thank you for actually engaging, I appreciate a good debate, especially with one who cares. Do you feel that a single thread, addressing all of those topics, quite briefly, and scattered throughout 789 pages, is helpful to the average new member? I really am not picking a fight, and appreciate different points of view. Here's mine, in more detail, since a couple seem to either care, or are perturbed by my presence. And my confession, is that my point of view is from a former newbie, who came to this sight with many assumptions, unknowns, and misguided beliefs that I held to be true. It took me a long time to understand what people talk about, and fight about, in these forums. And longer still to piece together how that all applies to what I am trying to achieve. I simply want to see new members have an easier time than I did. So here is the picture, as it is in my head....

New member joins, hoping to lose weight and gain knowledge about how to reverse whatever caused them to be where they are today. They head to the forums, to read up on current discussions, since that's what forums tend to be about. They signed up, and signed in, for the purpose of learning how to make a plan. The MFP goal setting confused them somewhat, so forums seem to be a good place to go for help. They bypass the chit chat, because they are here for a purpose. General Diet and Weight Loss seems a reasonable place to start. But they are quickly overwhelmed by numerous threads debating the validity of various acronyms they don't understand. They see a link, right at the top, created by MFP staff, "Most Helpful Posts", so they figure, good place to start, especially if it's suggested by MFP. Where I lose the story is how, with 789 pages of randomness, even if there are some good topics in here, is this thread useful enough to be given the status of "most helpful posts", as it equates to General Diet and Weight Loss. Especially for the newbies that we all seem to care about??? I accept that this thread has value to many. I accept that mental reprieve is useful, especially for the overwhelmed. The responses and number of pages alone are evident that this has become a repository for that. But, with complete honesty, I can't see how it is one of the most helpful threads in regards to THIS particular sub topic. It doesn't focus on General Diet or weight loss, and is nothing more than hundreds of pages of what happens to be on someone's mind at that point in time. Let the thread live on, but don't raise it to the level of most helpful, when there are still very simple topics that new members don't understand, and would benefit by threads clarifying the basics, without clutter.

I can't make it any more clear than that, so if anyone really wants to continue a debate, which I am happy to do, I offer to do it via PM, or a new post. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

I really wanted to comment on this and didn't want to wait while I was off work (but I'm really busy at work and shouldn't be on here but whatevs.... It is currently 8:25 my time and I am sure many others have already responded given how fast this thread moves.

I was a previous newbie and still quite a newbie to forums in general. For months I didn't even realize threads were "stickied". Until yesterday, I didn't even know what "stickied" meant. I think that this thread, all 790 pages so far have been really informative. As a newbie who doesn't know where to start and, perhaps doesn't know the etiquette of forums (or the search function of forums) may post questions that have been posted before. We have all seen the same threads about the same topics ("I am counting all my calories and not losing weight... why?"; or I am going to do this detox or that detox") and then get blasted by others who have been on here for a long time. Here is a safe place to ask those questions without being judged and that in itself is VERY helpful IMHO.

I feel that if you have a "supportive" community that will understand the hardships most of us experience and feel safe in expressing whatever it is that they are struggling with is very helpful. here, you can ask any dumb question without fear that you are going to be judged for simply not knowing or understanding. There is so much mis-information out there and if I were to go into a different thread and ask a question simply because I don't know something and then got blasted and bullied and target with gifs (eventhough they are quite funny), I would be discouraged and would probably leave all together and start all over. Or I would feel so bad about what happened that I would leave and comfort myself with food and will be worse off than I was before.

Even though there is a lot of randomness in this thread, I feel many people struggle through their journey because of the support in this thread when they may have just given up because everyone on here is so nice and supportive no matter what any individual is going through. That in itself is helpful and if this thread can help bring people together so we can all support each other in battling our own demons without fear of being thrown to the wolves then I would say that warrants a sticky status.

(also many of us are introverts with very few friends IRL and I feel we all crave a little support, even if it is virtual).

Nice to wake up and see well thought out responses. Good things can come about from remaining civil, and by having an open mind. As an example, I have a higher respect for this thread, on account of polite debate with a couple of you. A similar mindset, and adaptability would be useful in other threads. I appreciate the support aspect and sense of community that this thread has created for many of you. From reading several replies to my post, I feel compelled to modify my stance. I still stand by my feeling that this should not be a sticky in THIS sub forum, but now absolutely believe it warrants sticky status in the Motivation and Support sub forum. There are many pleasant folks here, and I feel your attitudes and this thread would be more useful there. This sub forum can get brutal at times, and Chit Chat is, well, yeah, but seeing this live on in the manner several of you have described is a good idea. Thank you to those who maintain respectful communication, and have a great Friday everyone!

I see you have drunk our kool-aid. ;)

I also don't think that anyone would disagree with you that this is definitely a more motivation/support thread than general weight loss. Perhaps it was just born in the wrong decade, as the kids say? ;)
    But I think it's found by many more people by way of being in the General forum. Anyway, we didn't ask for that - blame OP. (I hope she's still around, and didn't sweat out into a puddle from her garbage bag exercise. I'd like to shake her hand.)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tugchick wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Ok folks! I wasn't going to look at this thread again until tonight but I had to jump on to share my excitement. After months of getting close and then jumping up I am officially at goal weight today! Actually .4 below. 210+ days later and 31 lbs. Yay!!!!!
    Yay!!!! Congratulations, celebrate! But not in a bad way ;0

I came back as I am doing boring training on strike duty, Currently learning how to back up a car. WTF?? Anyway, my friend's husband and I have had a contest going. I just officially won. He owes me dinner at Ruby Tuesday's for a veggie burger on pretzel bread, french fries and cheesecake.

It will take me a week to burn off/eliminate those calories. So, I am not going to aggressively pursue this but boy, does it sound GOOD!!!!!!!!!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Confession: When I am at work and have to go #2, I take my phone with me so I can't read this thread :wink:

2b49d95d4a582cb4aa274d21aac855b4.jpg

I hate when I have to poop really badly & someone is in the stall right next to me.

Is is funny b/c it is so true!!

I also hate (and I am not sure if I have posted this here or in the "Things That Make You Irrationally Angry" thread when there are multiple open stalls and you give yourself some space and someone take the stall right beside you. Okay, this just downright pisses me of when people do this.

Me too! Seriously there are five other stalls open down the line and you take the one right next me? Okay creep-o...

Ugh! Happens all the time at work! I hate it!

I just remembered a study that I heard about in 1st or 2nd year psych about bathroom stall selection... assuming availability of empty stalls, introverts will tend to choose stalls at the ends whereas extroverts will choose stalls in the middle.

See, now elsewhere in this forum I'd immediately be taken to task for not providing peer-reviewed citations to back that up, and someone would dig up (and post links to) a dozen studies refuting the findings of the original one, and here I can just toss it out there as an amusing little tidbit of trivia.

and when i read that i think dude! i stick to the ends! this makes sense!!

i was in one of those snarky threads where they were jumping all over this dude for saying he read something in an article, but then couldn't produce it to prove what he said was true and then the mob took over to "prove him wrong." i x'd outta that one pretty fast, but it made me absolutely terrified to post anything.

I always stick to the end. Handicap if I can (and not likely to be needed). I need the space. :) So there, qualitative research of a few, and there is a professor on this thread so its 'peer reviewed'.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Today is my anniversary and I confess that I am sad that this means I won't be able to go on my weekly bike ride with my girls bike group.

My husband is the best about anniversaries, birthdays, etc. Last year, he had the high school art teacher help him make me a soup bowl. It says "Soup for my Soulmate". I love it! I tell myself every year I'm going to start shopping early and find him the perfect gift. It never happens. I ended up buying him a ceramic statue at the garden center. He deserves so much better!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Your husband sounds like a wonderful man. I always say I'm going to come up with the perfect gift too, but that never happens.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    It's been the most traumatic day. I've mentioned here before about being a full time carer for my Grandma who suffers with dementia.

Today she had a bad fall from the top to the very bottom of the stairs. She hit her head and has suffered bruising and bleeding to the brain and fractured her skull in two places along with breaking her elbow. The Doctors say there's nothing they can do but to wait it out and see if the bruising on her brain heals itself within the next 48-72 hours and her condition is going to get worse before/if it gets better. If it does heal itself they don't know what her level of function will be after.

I'm sick with worry and there's nothing I can do. It was 12 hours in hospital before she got seen by a specialist after lying there drowsy with a confirmed bleed on the brain!

I can't help thinking somehow that this is my fault and I should have been watching her (I was in my bedroom getting dressed) even though she is always steady on her feet and hasn't had a problem with stairs at least recently anyway. If she doesn't recover from this I don't think I'll be able to forgive myself.

No, no, no! This is NOT your fault! You cannot do everything, nor can you prevent anything from happening. I'm so very sorry for you and for her. Sending you hugs, prayers, positive thoughts, etc. - whatever you believe in!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Ok folks! I wasn't going to look at this thread again until tonight but I had to jump on to share my excitement. After months of getting close and then jumping up I am officially at goal weight today! Actually .4 below. 210+ days later and 31 lbs. Yay!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! And thanks to the other folks who said congratulations, so I don't clog the thread. Now I have to KEEP IT UP!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Confession: When I am at work and have to go #2, I take my phone with me so I can't read this thread :wink:

I hate when I have to poop really badly & someone is in the stall right next to me.

I also hate (and I am not sure if I have posted this here or in the "Things That Make You Irrationally Angry" thread when there are multiple open stalls and you give yourself some space and someone take the stall right beside you. Okay, this just downright pisses me of when people do this.

Me too! Seriously there are five other stalls open down the line and you take the one right next me? Okay creep-o...

I just remembered a study that I heard about in 1st or 2nd year psych about bathroom stall selection... assuming availability of empty stalls, introverts will tend to choose stalls at the ends whereas extroverts will choose stalls in the middle.
    See, now elsewhere in this forum I'd immediately be taken to task for not providing peer-reviewed citations to back that up, and someone would dig up (and post links to) a dozen studies refuting the findings of the original one, and here I can just toss it out there as an amusing little tidbit of trivia.

i was in one of those snarky threads where they were jumping all over this dude for saying he read something in an article, but then couldn't produce it to prove what he said was true and then the mob took over to "prove him wrong." i x'd outta that one pretty fast, but it made me absolutely terrified to post anything.

I'm definitely extroverted and I prefer the stalls on the end!
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm confessing this but....if I weigh myself in the morning and then go to the bathroom, I always re weigh. It's not a big difference but makes me feel good.
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes sneak extra calories into my husband's food... We can eat the same, and I'll gain and he'll lose?! He's some kind of wizard and it makes me jealous!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm confessing this but....if I weigh myself in the morning and then go to the bathroom, I always re weigh. It's not a big difference but makes me feel good.

Oh my dear, you are not alone :) I think everyone does that, welcome!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I did one of those Myers-Briggs related courses once, and the instructor said a good gauge to know if you're extroverted or introverted was whether you speak to the person in the next stall! That seems a bit simplistic to me, but I have say that some people are surprisingly vocal in the loo. (INFP here)

Haha, ETA: just looked up INFP to see if it said anything about bathroom habits and found this. As a geek who loves Star Trek and has the X-Files theme tune as my ring tone, this made me happy:
    4a6ya8z0resn.jpg
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

I do too. I also remember reading somewhere that the first stall is usually the cleanest because people tend to bypass that one in favor of one farther from the door. And no, I don't have sources to cite so back offa me!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    And yes someone referred to our thread as ridiculous...how rude! >:)

Probably some idiot who lives on the "Would you date the person above? TRUTH" threads

I would not date the person above me.

I would hope not as he is taken. Nice new pic. You might be giving a few of the bicep displaying posters a run for their money!
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    @Glinda1971 and @Dnarules - Happy Birthday!