Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lisan1209 wrote: »
    I got really drunk on Saturday and ended up eating almost 2 bags of chips :( I feel guilty even today about it. I did exercise for about 2 hours yesterday though. How long do you think it will take to get back on track?

You are back on track now. Can't change the past, can only learn from it and do better next time.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.
    Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

Good question...I guess stay the course? I am in the camp that says weight/resistance training is a huge part of fitness and especially, appearance. Fat giggles, takes up more space and makes nice outfits look frumpy. Whatever I can do to eliminate that is what I want. lol

Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.

Eventually, once goals are close to being met or have already passed, this is what it will come down to. If you want to be skinny as a rail, fine. Diet and cardio all day, every day. But unless you are naturally blessed, if you want a fitness magazine cover body, you HAVE to do some strength training.

I wouldn't even say I'm "skinny as a rail". I have a decent amount of body fat still, which is a byproduct of not lifting consistently enough during my weight loss, which was a byproduct of life in general.

Agreed. So do I. When people say I look too thin, I know there are plenty of places I can grab more than an inch from so it's either stop, maintain and accept the giggle, get more skinny and take the backhanded compliments or lift which in itself causes a dilemma because you gotta gain (surplus), to also grow new lean muscle! Ok now my head hurts...
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Serious question here: What if you don't want that? I'm 47 - the only people who see me naked is my husband and my dog (she judges me - she recently lost 15% of her bodyweight and is smug about it). I live in a climate where I'm covered up a lot of the time. All I really want is to look ok in my clothes. I feel like MFP is often all about lifting weights, and I'm just not interested in doing that.

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

sorry if this came across as judge-y *hangs head in shame and slinks off*

I didn't think this was judge-y at all. I actually prefer weights as my only exercise, although I do kettlebells so it's a little bit of cardio, too. But I totally get that it 's not for everyone.

Loved the part about Arnold, though! My boyfriend is big into body-building so I hear a lot about him! Lol!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. I feel like there's a lot of pressure from a lot of people to jump on the weight lifting bandwagon for aesthetic reasons, and a lot of people throw out "LIFT HEAVY" as the be all and end all of exercise without considering other people's interest/disinterest/goals/physical limitations/aspirations/time/what have you.

This morning there was a thread started by a person who was depressed because they weighed in at 501 pounds, and one of the first suggestions was that they start squatting and deadlifting. Seriously? SMDH. I get the feeling that people don't read the original post, they just respond with an automatic blurb.

On the other hand, weight lifting (OR resistance training, and THAT IS THE KEY!) is great for reasons aside from aesthetics... it strengthens bones and bone density, aids in living independently into old age, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to squat 300 lbs and bench press 1000, or look like Arnold, or stand in front of the mirror kissing your muscles and taking selfies. I just believe that an exercise routine should be balanced like an "eating routine" (don'twanttosaydiet) should be balanced.

Thanks for your input. I don't want to be a frail waif who will blow away in the wind. I want to be fit and love how I've progressed in my running. I keep wondering if the 'I must lift weights' bug will bite me, but nothing so far.

We do quite a lot of work projects around the house - renovations/building/landscaping type stuff, so I'm fairly strong. I'm hoping that this will give me the benefits you bolded, because that's what I do care about.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

I don't really think the parents were being judgmental, at least IMO. Sometimes parents just need a sounding board when things are frustrating, because they don't want to take it out on the child and it's nice to have people who will listen. I wet the bed until I was 7. My parents had to wake me up before they went to bed, and that usually worked.

I keep forgetting to do that. Thanks for the reminder... but again, my son only falls asleep one hour before me most of the time, so I'm not sure it would actually help, lol.

It's a very good point... I'm a bit frustrated sometimes by the answers on MFP, lol. It's odd too because my arms and legs look nice and muscular (in my opinion, probably not to a lot of people), but I still have too much fat in my midsection... which I apparently can't lose without lifting heavier than I've been (been lifting pretty much the whole time, just not as seriously as some people), but lifting heavier means more defined arms, which I absolutely don't want. So it's a lost cause for me (unless I lost 10 more pounds or something, but I'm a hungry person and it's just not happening). But I still wonder how all those thin waisted women with arms that don't look as muscular as mine do it, if 'women don't bulk'. Plus yeah... I hate lifting.

So yeah... I get it. MFP has made it tough to just say 'good enough' when it's so full of people who seem to chase the perfect body.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

Hahaha! Too funny! I think you should start a thread about your dog judging you and then ask what should you do about it?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

That made me laugh.

I get that lifting is not for everyone, but it IS for me! I love it! The old saying is "if you want to look good in your clothes, do cardio. If you want to look good naked, lift heavy." It's all in what you like to do and want to look like. (Confession: I'd love to look like a fitness model. Just not sure I want to work that hard.)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

No, not judge-y. I understand. I don't want a body builder physique, but I've found that since I don't have weight to lose that setting lifting goals keeps me inspired and motivated, which then results in muscle definition. Sometimes, that's the only type of physical progress to make, particularly for someone like me who doesn't do much cardio anymore.
  • Francl27
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I'm with you, honestly. I'm good with "not fat"; I don't have any desire to look fit and muscular. Like, yeah, women who are look good and all but for me it is so not worth the effort. I'm 5'4" and at my usual maintenance weight of about 118 lbs I have some ab definition etc just because my body fat is low enough, without having to lift and bulk/cut or whatever. I'm not "skinny as a rail" as one of the quoted posters said or anything, but I look all right.

I mean...I'm not judging other people's fitness/body goals, but I often have felt judged on MFP (not on this thread, obviously) for not having those super-fit muscle-building goals myself.

Well at 5'4" and 118 pounds you probably look awesome, lol.

I'm 5'5" and typically between 133 and 135 pounds. I do have a large frame though (30 inch waist, without really that much fat left there), but still. Still wish I could get below 133 pounds without feeling like I'm starving all the time.
  • Francl27
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh for crying out loud!!!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I made it back from my holiday :smile: I am trying to read some/most of the old posts, but I don't know if I'll be able to get through them all (there were over 2000 new ones!). I had a great time in AZ, went to check out the Desert Museum just outside of Tucson (thanks for the suggestion!). Ate some foods I can't get here, and thought I broke a couple toes (but now I think they're just very bruised.)

Confession: I puked my guts out landing in Phoenix and again landing back in Edmonton. One of my first thoughts after each time was "I don't have to count those calories, right?"

YAYY welcome back we missed you!

Yes, we did! Also, great picture @LBuehrle8! I love y'all, but I'm just unable to keep up with this thread right now. I missed pages 797??? to 820. Don't have time to go back, so I'm sorry for all the posts I've missed, but I'm going to only be able to read what is posted during certain hours of the day. Sad. But, I have other things I have to keep up with right now.

That's understandable. It seems like the thread is moving faster than ever. I logged in this weekend just to keep up. Hope everything is ok in your world!

Me too, I didn't want to be 30 pages behind again.

Me too! I hate being behind :( let's all slow it down a little as we all are struggling to keep up!! Haha
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

My dog judges me too!!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Hahaha! Too funny! I think you should start a thread about your dog judging you and then ask what should you do about it?
    Funnily enough, it was putting her on a diet that made me realise that slow and steady was the way to do it! Should I write a book? 'Everything I needed to know about dieting I learned from my dog'!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

I don't really think the parents were being judgmental, at least IMO. Sometimes parents just need a sounding board when things are frustrating, because they don't want to take it out on the child and it's nice to have people who will listen. I wet the bed until I was 7. My parents had to wake me up before they went to bed, and that usually worked.

I keep forgetting to do that. Thanks for the reminder... but again, my son only falls asleep one hour before me most of the time, so I'm not sure it would actually help, lol.

It's a very good point... I'm a bit frustrated sometimes by the answers on MFP, lol. It's odd too because my arms and legs look nice and muscular (in my opinion, probably not to a lot of people), but I still have too much fat in my midsection... which I apparently can't lose without lifting heavier than I've been (been lifting pretty much the whole time, just not as seriously as some people), but lifting heavier means more defined arms, which I absolutely don't want. So it's a lost cause for me (unless I lost 10 more pounds or something, but I'm a hungry person and it's just not happening). But I still wonder how all those thin waisted women with arms that don't look as muscular as mine do it, if 'women don't bulk'. Plus yeah... I hate lifting.

So yeah... I get it. MFP has made it tough to just say 'good enough' when it's so full of people who seem to chase the perfect body.

That's mostly down to body shape and genetics, if both women are at a healthy weight/body fat percentage. Some women are hourglass-y with a narrow waist and wider hips and some are more straight-up-and-down without a lot of inward curve. You can't totally change where you carry fat, even with weight training. I mean, obviously if you have bigger, stronger muscles under the fat they might be more visible but that fat is still gonna be there unless you lose more of it. So there's a limited amount of difference you can make once it gets to that point.

Even with, like, rail-thin 5'11" runway models with very low body fat, some will have measurements like 30-25-32 (very straight up and down) and some will be more like 32-23-34 (much more waist definition) depending on their shape.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I confess that I had another huge binge last night & ate a Snickers, Mr. Goodbar, Dove bar, & some other chocolate along with a few servings of ice cream. I also confess that I wasn't going to eat anything today & barely anything tomorrow to make up for it but realized that was idiotic & will just try harder to not binge.

I think the reason I had a massive binge last night was from eating too early in the morning when I am not necessarily hungry & then feeling hangry the rest of the day. I need to go back to not eating anything in the morning unless I am seriously growing/starving & then space out my meals more throughout the day.

It helps me a lot in sticking to my calorie goal to skip breakfast and eat my first meal around 11:30 or 12 PM. I don't usually feel hungry in the mornings, since it takes a while for my stomach to "wake up" and realize that there's nothing in it. ;)

ETA: I've also done that restriction, and I warn you against it. It triggers a massive restrict-overeat cycle that I'm still struggling to overcome. Please don't do it, it feels just awful! :-/

I think that's what I am going to do as well & not eat my first meal until 11-12 (I was doing this a few months ago & had some success with it).

Idiot me I should've known not to even attempt to restrict since I did this months ago & fell into that binge/restrict cycle. So what did I do after admitting my confess a few pages ago? Had another binge! Ugh.

I am done with binging. I am going to set my calories to around 1700-1750 & get this bad habit in check. I will still enjoy some snacks, but I am done buying certain snacks (ice cream, cookies, candy) until I can get into a healthy mindset with food again & learning how to eat again in moderation.

All the best to you!! It's seriously hard, but I'm definitely in your camp. You can do this! :)
  • erikalolob
    erikalolob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat 800kcal more than the amount I should be eating , and im now hating myself n i feel so sad n bad...
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    I don't do low carb and I like to lift heavy things :s *runs and hides*

But I have no problem with whatever works for YOU (general you)! Hence while I lurk all those threads and read but never post- to each their own! :)
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    I don't do low carb and I like to lift heavy things :s *runs and hides*

But I have no problem with whatever works for YOU (general you)! Hence while I lurk all those threads and read but never post- to each their own! :)
    But that's exactly the point - you love it so that's great! I don't love it, but wonder if that can be great too... A lot of MFP makes me feel that NOT wanting to lift means that when I get to my goal weight (which is near the top of the 'normal' range for my height) I'll still be a fatty blob.

• Tubbs216
    Options

My dog judges me too!!
    I'm glad I don't have cats anymore.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    Confession: I low carb it. I don't care if everyone else on the planet says CICO is what works, it doesn't work that way for me. I limit between 80-100 carbs nearly every day except a carby splurge meal on Sunday....I've lost almost 30 lbs so far in two months. For 6 months before that I could barely lose anything. So now I get pretty grouchy whenever I see the threads of people asking about low carb and everyone jumps on their case...so I only send people emails instead of actually commenting, lol.
    Ps...I love this thread!

Not judging, but, I've been keto for 15 years. I hate when people insist CICO "doesn't work" on lc. LC is CICO, they are the same thing. You can do better low carb because you don't get cravings or you're less hungry or you're IR and that changes your CO, but you are still using CICO. CICO isn't a thing you do. CICO is a math formula. Period.

This is the kind of misinformation that causes those threads to be hijacked in the first place. You lose weight if you have a deficit, your CI is lower than your CO. You gain weight if you have an excess, your CI is higher than your CO. LC is the tool you are using to keep your CI lower than your CO, nothing more, nothing less.

Can I ask how many carbs you eat per day? I've been interested in keto.

22ish right now since I'm at a deficit again. When I'm on maintenance I'm closer to 40, but my maint calories are a lot higher, too. That's all net, and I prefer working with ranges than hard numbers. Right now I tend to keep carbs between 18 and 28.