Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• AlyssaPGoodiwn
    AlyssaPGoodiwn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Before I started this diet I could eat a whole big box of goldfish in like one day. :s
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Have a question that I feel I can ask here without ridicule. How many steps a day would you consider sedentary vs lightly active. I try to hit 10-12k a day and wondering if I have my activity level set correctly as I changed it from sedentary to lightly active

From what I've read, 0-5000 is sedentary, 5000-10000 is lightly active, and 10000+ is active. :)

Thank you!! I have been scared to ask "out there" ;)

To me that sounds a bit too generous...like, I work in an office and my only daily exercise is walking to/from work and I get 8000 - 10 000 steps per day pretty easily, and there is no way I'd consider myself active. Even lightly active is a stretch, since I sit on my butt pretty much constantly other than my commute. I set my goals to "sedentary" and assume that the hundred and change extra calories I burn walking the hour roundtrip to work will just cover any counting errors.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

I know this. It upsets me greatly on those mornings my son gets out of a wet bed simply because he looks so sad and embarrassed. I just say something like, "OK, let's pull those sheets off and you jump in the shower". I don't need to add anything he doesn't already know and feel in that moment. :/
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Confession: I don’t know what my goal weight should be. I’m 5’9 and currently weigh 221. (That’s a big step since I’ve never admitted that to anyone!) I had the goal set at 200, but didn’t feel like that was low enough. It’s now set at 190, but now I don’t feel like that is low enough either. I weighed 180 the year before my son was born and felt awesome. I weighed 160 when I graduated from high school (and thought I was fat). I know I’ll probably find a weight where I feel comfortable and don’t have to kill myself in the gym every day. I understand all the numbers. Just not sure if I can get back to the 160s mainly because I don’t know if I have the dedication. Looking for some advice from some of you. That seems like a lot of numbers and rambling.

I'm 5'9" and currently 134. I was originally looking to get down to 135, but I'm now looking to pack on some weight again in the form of muscle. Not sure if I want to do that in the form of a bulk or a recomp. I'd be happy to send you some progress photos, if that would help you.

My biggest regret is not weight training more consistently in my weight loss, if I'm being honest.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    @nonoelmo That poem is fabulous. So amazing. Pretty much speechless.

Thank you all. The poem is written by one of the writers of Sesame Street who has a son with Down Syndrome.

There is a grieving process in realizing you will have a special needs child. Without really even knowing it we all imagine and dream of the things our children will possibly do in the future. I am not saying my son's future is "limited" just that he falls outside of the typical boy. He is the biggest influence in the person I now am. He is the reason I went back to school and earned my PhD. He changed me for the better.

Edit to add: I am more patient, have more perspective on what is important, have more tolerance. I'm better on all levels than I was before my boy. He's wonderful.

This is fantastic. That poem was wonderful. I'm saving that. Thanks so much for sharing your perspective!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,721 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I <3 Frozen. I have no shame.

I'm 26 and I have never seen Frozen. Or Dirty Dancing. Or Grease. Or a lot of other chick flicks. Maybe that explains my post about not knowing how to do girly things. I still have no intention of watching any of these films though.

I didn't like Grease much but I love Dirty Dancing!

Footloose!

One of my favorites, ever! The original one with Kevin Bacon, of course!

The remake was terrible :( Kevin Bacon all the way!

Omg, so terrible! And I just love Kevin Bacon...speaking of..anyone watch The Following and as sad as I am that it's cancelled? :(:(

Yes! I am! I was so mad I wasted so much time getting into it! This is why I don't watch most series unless they're already over so I know there's some sort of conclusion/resolution!

Me too...so frustrating! My husband barely watches any tv at all...but he actually watched that show with me. The only other show we watch together is The Walking Dead...but man, we were both so bummed to hear that The Following won't be back.

I do watch TWD <3 but I don't keep up with it- just wait until it comes out on Netlfix! Currently I'm fan girling all over myself waiting fot this Friday so I can binge watch Orange is The New Black!

My husband and I are excited about this too! He watched the whole season of Sense8 Saturday and Sunday. I had to make him go to bed at 5 in the morning when we had to be up for church in less than 4 hours and he was teaching.

I saw this and put it on my list, did you see any of it at all? Obviously I'd say the hubby liked it! haha

Yes. It was weird, but I missed like the first 7/8 of the series, so maybe I would have liked it if I would have watched from the start. It just didn't look like it was something I'd be interested in.

• brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Confession: I low carb it. I don't care if everyone else on the planet says CICO is what works, it doesn't work that way for me. I limit between 80-100 carbs nearly every day except a carby splurge meal on Sunday....I've lost almost 30 lbs so far in two months. For 6 months before that I could barely lose anything. So now I get pretty grouchy whenever I see the threads of people asking about low carb and everyone jumps on their case...so I only send people emails instead of actually commenting, lol.
    Ps...I love this thread!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Confession
    This thread is the only reason I'm still here. I had gained ~2 - 3 lbs and since I'm short it showed. I've lost it and probably would have changed my mind about taking it down another few pounds (still well within the middle of the healthy range for my height). I'm glad I've stayed. I've now lost five pounds and today I could tell! My waist is down 1.5 inches! I have somewhere around 1 - 4 pounds to go (depends on fluctuation and how my body feels. I know from my early 20's that when I get more than 7 - 8 pounds lighter than I am now I tended to get sick often even though I was still "healthy" by the charts.) I've made some good changes and want to thank you all for being yourselves and being supportive and great!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    Confession: I low carb it. I don't care if everyone else on the planet says CICO is what works, it doesn't work that way for me. I limit between 80-100 carbs nearly every day except a carby splurge meal on Sunday....I've lost almost 30 lbs so far in two months. For 6 months before that I could barely lose anything. So now I get pretty grouchy whenever I see the threads of people asking about low carb and everyone jumps on their case...so I only send people emails instead of actually commenting, lol.
    Ps...I love this thread!

Not judging, but, I've been keto for 15 years. I hate when people insist CICO "doesn't work" on lc. LC is CICO, they are the same thing. You can do better low carb because you don't get cravings or you're less hungry or you're IR and that changes your CO, but you are still using CICO. CICO isn't a thing you do. CICO is a math formula. Period.

This is the kind of misinformation that causes those threads to be hijacked in the first place. You lose weight if you have a deficit, your CI is lower than your CO. You gain weight if you have an excess, your CI is higher than your CO. LC is the tool you are using to keep your CI lower than your CO, nothing more, nothing less.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    @nonoelmo That poem is fabulous. So amazing. Pretty much speechless.

Thank you all. The poem is written by one of the writers of Sesame Street who has a son with Down Syndrome.

There is a grieving process in realizing you will have a special needs child. Without really even knowing it we all imagine and dream of the things our children will possibly do in the future. I am not saying my son's future is "limited" just that he falls outside of the typical boy. He is the biggest influence in the person I now am. He is the reason I went back to school and earned my PhD. He changed me for the better.

Edit to add: I am more patient, have more perspective on what is important, have more tolerance. I'm better on all levels than I was before my boy. He's wonderful.

This is fantastic. That poem was wonderful. I'm saving that. Thanks so much for sharing your perspective!

Thank you.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,721 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have a question that I feel I can ask here without ridicule. How many steps a day would you consider sedentary vs lightly active. I try to hit 10-12k a day and wondering if I have my activity level set correctly as I changed it from sedentary to lightly active

My current step count for the day is 2021. I have a desk job and really only get up to get papers from the copier, use the restroom, or go to lunch. We don't have breaks, so I can sit at my desk for multiple hours without getting up. It's terrible but I don't know what to do.

So obviously I can't answer your question.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I can't believe I am admitting this... but I have talked about more sensitive things in this thread so WTH. :lol: I had this problem until I was about 13. It seemed to stop when I was put on Prozac for my depression. I don't know if that's what stopped it, but even when they changed my medicine it was no longer an issue. I can't help but to think it had something to do with it.

I seriously can't believe it either, but I'll bring my confession to the game as well. I feel quite bad about some of the slightly judgmental posts from parents (towards their kids) about bedwetting issues. I had the same issue, and it didn't go away until I was FIFTEEN. Yes, I said FIF. TEEN. It was embarrassing and horrible for me, and thinking that my parents would have been ashamed or upset about it or talked about it like the ones who mentioned it above makes me even more embarrassed. Nobody wets their bed on purpose. :-/

What annoys me is that he doesn't tell me. So I find out at bedtime. That's what's so aggravating about it.

But you don't know my son either... the main reason he doesn't wipe his butt and pooped his pants for so long is that pooping/wiping is a distraction from what he'd really be doing. He knows he should be doing it, but he doesn't seem to want to bother with it. He's even peed his pants at school this year because he wanted to play after school and didn't want to go home even though he had to pee. So it's not such a big stretch to wonder if he's peeing in bed because he's just sleeping too soundly, or if it's because he's lazy and just doesn't want to get up. Remember, he had to have therapy to finally go poop on the potty and not in his pants.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

MFP asks what your lifestyle is (office-manual labor) then what your exercise plan is. So the question to you is do you walk the steps as part of your work day?
    I work in the office but move around very little while here so I have mine set to sedentary with 7+ hours of exercise planned per week.

I work in an office so most of the steps are taken outside work hours..walking every night, doing the stairs at home even walking laps in my backyard ;)

In that case I would recommend doing what I do and list it as sedentary with ___ amount of workouts for ___ minutes per week.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh, and what do the cool moms and kiddos do on Sunday morning? Matching Frozen color manicures of course! (Proud mommy moment, a few months ago just the idea of something touching her hands made her panic, now she loves having her nails painted! Small victories over Sensory Processing Disorder!)
    3r3ommj4l2xq.jpg
    :)
    Aww, how adorable!

Whoo for the small victory:).

My two year old niece is obsessed with Frozen! Her brother the one day asked if she was a boy or a girl & she said no to both & he asked what she was. Her answer...Elsa hahaha.

Haha! That sounds like my daughter too! All Frozen, all the time. If it's not playing on some DVD player in my house on loop, she's still running around singing "Let it Go" and proclaiming herself to be Elsa. I've tried to use that to my advantage with the potty training endeavors, but still no luck...

Potty training at our house too! Does your little one go to daycare or are you a SAHM? Ours goes to daycare and she did pretty well this weekend. Only one accident yesterday, but we put a diaper on when she sleeps.

I'm a SAHM. She knows how everything works, what to do, and how to do it. The thing is, she won't do it. We bought panties and the waterproof ones to cover those, just so I'm not spending all day mopping up puddles of pee when she has accidents. She tries, but she tries after she pees or poops herself. The big goal is to have her potty trained before she starts 3K in September. Add in her sensory challenges and anxiety issues, and I have a feeling we're going to be at it awhile.

Potty training was a nightmare in my house. My son still pooped his pants regularly at 4.5. I had to take him to a therapist, but thankfully it helped. Now he's almost 7.5 and he still won't wipe half the time and still pees his bed once a week (and won't tell me, of course, until it's bedtime and the bed reeks and I have a lot of laundry to do the next day. Then he sleeps on the floor).

His sister still has poop in her underwear every single day. And I still have to remind them to wipe their hands (plus side - I never even consider eating their leftovers. *barf*).

Kids are just SO gross.

We were hoping potty training would be easier for her, because pooping is a challenge in and of itself. The sensation of actually pooping sends her into a complete meltdown, and she has a terrible habit of holding and holding until she's so constipated it makes her sick and we have to give her enemas to make her poop. That's even with giving her a tablespoon of miralax every day by her doctor's recommendation. I seriously hate SPD, not just for that, but for countless other reasons. It's taken so much from her and kept her from so many things already, and it pisses me off! I can't tell you how many nights and times I've spent in tears over it and seeing her struggle every day with it. The worst part is, it's not even recognized that much, I've actually had to explain to a doctor what SPD is because they looked at me like an idiot when I mentioned she had it. I can't tell you how many times I get asked if I'm not sure she's autistic, when she's been tested multiple times and they've said she doesn't meet the criteria for that diagnosis. So far, she's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety, and "pervasive developmental disorder-non otherwise specified", and already shows signs of possible ADHD. My heart breaks for her, seeing how she struggles so much, but I try to be thankful, because I know it could be so much worse, but there's still times where I just want to scream and cry and yell about how it's so unfair to her! :cry:
    Ok, ending my rant now.

Sounds really difficult for both of you, but she is very lucky to have such a caring mom. I know there are some days I have trouble dealing with sensory overload. It is so hard to imagine what it would be like for a child with a sensory disorder. Please feel free to rant when needed. You need a safe place, too :).

Aww, thank you! I don't talk about it much, because the family likes to act like she doesn't have anything wrong and we exaggerate her issues and make excuses for her being a brat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure all those trips to therapy, all the doctor appointments, and all the meltdowns and judgmental stares are all because we're feeding off drama and attention. :unamused: It can be hard, but I try to remind myself of how far she has come and the progress she's made. :)
    I really feel for you on this. My oldest son was extremely hard work at that age. All my family were sympathetic but still thought he'd 'grow out of it'. I remember telling my mum that I would cut off my right arm if it would just make everything easy for him. I was being 100% totally honest, and I still feel like this, despite him now being 18m and with all that he's achieved. She got really angry with me, and that's when I knew that although she loved us all, she would never understand.
    Hugs to you.

That's what I get all the time. "She'll outgrow it", "she's just being a brat", and my favorite "bust her *kitten* more and she'll quit that"; we've actually been told "if you'd give her a bath more often she wouldn't freak out like that". I guess giving her a shower daily isn't often enough? :unamused: I try to just ignore it, but it still really gets to me.
    Yeah. You almost wish a special needs child on some people, to see if they'd finally get it.

(Edited because I forgot a few words...and to fix the quote.)

When I was preg with my son and we found out he'd have special needs I was told by several well-meaning people. "Well of all the people to have a special needs child I'm glad it is you." (I knew they meant they thought I could handle it and could educate myself on the needs and resources and so on - including having the patience to deal with it...) but really... what a thing to say!!! I adore my son. He is a very unique boy and with that come many "normal" things that he will "never" do and that is ok. I would not change him and work hard to maximize his unique potential. This poem helped me a lot when I first learned the diagnosis while pregnant.

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
    Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
    Well, I think we might have gone to Belgium instead, but I'm in tears...
  • lisan1209
    lisan1209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got really drunk on Saturday and ended up eating almost 2 bags of chips :( I feel guilty even today about it. I did exercise for about 2 hours yesterday though. How long do you think it will take to get back on track?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

My current step count for the day is 2021. I have a desk job and really only get up to get papers from the copier, use the restroom, or go to lunch. We don't have breaks, so I can sit at my desk for multiple hours without getting up. It's terrible but I don't know what to do.

So obviously I can't answer your question.

Rather than steps, I like the suggestions the keto calculator uses for activity level:
    Sedentary. Typical desk job, little to no exercise.
    Lightly active. Walking around a good amount, retail jobs. 1–3 hours per week of light exercise.
    Moderately active. 3–5 hours a week, e.g. daily 15 minutes biking and 3 times heavy lifting per week.
    Very active. Construction workers, hard exercise 6–7 days per week
    Extremely active. You train like Lance Armstrong. Twice per day, extra heavy workouts

If I went by steps, my number would be really low, because I work from home, and only the walking I do to work out would register as steps. The yoga, strength and mobility training won't, but they put me in the light to moderate category.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

MFP asks what your lifestyle is (office-manual labor) then what your exercise plan is. So the question to you is do you walk the steps as part of your work day?
    I work in the office but move around very little while here so I have mine set to sedentary with 7+ hours of exercise planned per week.

I work in an office so most of the steps are taken outside work hours..walking every night, doing the stairs at home even walking laps in my backyard ;)

In that case I would recommend doing what I do and list it as sedentary with ___ amount of workouts for ___ minutes per week.

Thanks I will give that a shot!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

From what I've read, 0-5000 is sedentary, 5000-10000 is lightly active, and 10000+ is active. :)

Thank you!! I have been scared to ask "out there" ;)

To me that sounds a bit too generous...like, I work in an office and my only daily exercise is walking to/from work and I get 8000 - 10 000 steps per day pretty easily, and there is no way I'd consider myself active. Even lightly active is a stretch, since I sit on my butt pretty much constantly other than my commute. I set my goals to "sedentary" and assume that the hundred and change extra calories I burn walking the hour roundtrip to work will just cover any counting errors.

Yeah, but sedentary is for people who only get up from their office chair to go to their car or the bathroom. ;) I've read the information from several different sources, and to be totally honest, I'm sedentary and probably get LESS than 5000 steps most days. :-/ I still lose enough weight that my deficit is meant to make me lose, so I'm pretty sure it's on target. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    brandi9172 wrote: »
    Ps...I love this thread!

Not judging, but, I've been keto for 15 years. I hate when people insist CICO "doesn't work" on lc. LC is CICO, they are the same thing. You can do better low carb because you don't get cravings or you're less hungry or you're IR and that changes your CO, but you are still using CICO. CICO isn't a thing you do. CICO is a math formula. Period.

This is the kind of misinformation that causes those threads to be hijacked in the first place. You lose weight if you have a deficit, your CI is lower than your CO. You gain weight if you have an excess, your CI is higher than your CO. LC is the tool you are using to keep your CI lower than your CO, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah. The reason low carb works so well is because protein and fat are more filling than (most) carbs, so you tend to eat less... that's pretty much it, IMO.

But I'm a freak who will feel much more satisfied if I have good complex carbs and fiber with my protein and fat. I could never do low carb for that reason.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Awwe, sorry if anything I said made you feel bad. That must have been horrible for you.
    I can say with assurance that my son didn't wet the bed on purpose, but once we had him take responsibility for it, the problem was gone within a couple of weeks. We were on the verge of taking him to the doctor to see if there was a medical reason for it. My husband was a late betwetter too, so I was prepared for him to be late, but as a parent it can be frustrating and tiring when you're constantly changing sheets.