Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    I myself, do strong lift 5X5 every other day. I really enjoy it. Since I mostly cut out all other exercising except for fun, I just look forward to doing it.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 That's very impressive! :) I'm not strong compared to other girls of my age / weight. I exercise at home with 2 x 2.5lbs weights. I exercise everyday, but nothing extreme. I'm trying to build up my exercise bit a bit. I feel out of breath easily. I'm 5'5 and 182lbs (started at 202lbs). I hope to get stronger within the next months and be able to exercise more.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    @fanncy0626 That's very impressive! :) I'm not strong compared to other girls of my age / weight. I exercise at home with 2 x 2.5lbs weights. I exercise everyday, but nothing extreme. I'm trying to build up my exercise bit a bit. I feel out of breath easily. I'm 5'5 and 182lbs (started at 202lbs). I hope to get stronger within the next months and be able to exercise more.

It's possible you can lift more than 2.5 lb dumbbells. Have you tried? Your purse probably weighs more than that.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

It's possible you can lift more than 2.5 lb dumbbells. Have you tried? Your purse probably weighs more than that.

Yes, I can, but I won't be able do too many repetitions of an exercise. For example, when I have to carry my canoe I struggle (compared to other girls). It probably weights approx 60lbs.
  • fanncy0626
    Options

You can start with your weights but increase your weights a little each time. Even if you wanted to use sand in milk cartons and add more sand each session. You can still perform the strong lift 5x5 exercises with that type of weight and work up to using the barbell. Mhendi the spokeperson for strong lift's girlfriend started with kettle bells.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    If you can lift a 60 lb canoe at all then you should be able to start with a 12.5 lb bar. You only do 5 sets of 5 reps.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Lifting can make a person bulky or not...it really depends on how we lift, what we eat...and for the most part lifting is a great sculpting tool!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes, I can, but I won't be able do too many repetitions of an exercise. For example, when I have to carry my canoe I struggle (compared to other girls). It probably weights approx 60lbs.

When you're strength training (as opposed to hypertrophy/muscle building), you only do low reps at high weight any way. On my strength days I rarely go over 8 reps on anything. And usually not over 5. You have to take that into consideration.

Also, a 60 lb canoe is something. Give yourself credit!
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Lifting can make a person bulky or not...it really depends on how we lift, what we eat...and for the most part lifting is a great sculpting tool!

Lifting doesn't make women bulky. We do not produce enough testosterone to get "bulky" I hate when people say this. I have been power lifting competitively and training heavy for years.

Deadlift - 500
    Leg Press - 650

I assure you, I am not bulky. Haha
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Screen%20Shot%202015-06-11%20at%207.38.50%20AM_zps9rm9q6vp.png

Karen
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciate all your advice. As soon as I can join a gym, I'll look for one where there's an instructor who can assists me.

And again, well done you all. You certainly have been an eye-opener. :)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciate all your advice. As soon as I can join a gym, I'll look for one where there's an instructor who can assists me.

And again, well done you all. You certainly have been an eye-opener. :)

A trainer will be a great resource. I'm self-taught and constantly analyzing my form flubs :wink: A second person to help you move correctly will also help you progress well!

I started with SL 5x5 in mid Feb and have made decent progress. I chose it for it's simplicity and the app to help me remember what to do. Today was squats at 130, overhead press 65 (flubbed one rep, darn OHP), and dead lift 185. I've deloaded a couple of times after a week or so break. Breaks are good for you, sometimes your body just gets tired and needs a longer rest. REST is a key component. With lifting, more is not always better.

You get stronger quickly, which is a lot of fun! I would recommend this to anyone because it has improved my general outlook with life, in general. I'm much more confident all around.
  • cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Bump
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    jontucc wrote: »
    @kshadows u look amazing! Can I ask if you were lifting with a particular program or what type of lifts you were doing and how heavy?

I follow StrongLifts 5x5. I started with like 20 pounds for each lift (squat, OHP, bench, row, DL) and my squat is now up to ~115 lbs. My presses are slow to progress because of an old shoulder injury

• JTmom2015
    JTmom2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Working on my heavy lifting now while at a deficit and can tell a huge difference in my arms from Day 1 to Day 60! Sorry they're not at the same angle. I love lifting now! wm0ddoix7tye.jpg
    3gha97mfig2s.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    aamberrr wrote: »
    Looooooove heavy lifting. And I love seeing other peoples' success pics from lifting! Here's my 12 weeks progress from April 1 - June 23.

aace314e-62ab-4a54-bb6e-e229fd473ba2.jpg

0b608b6e-0de1-4332-8696-e509fa90e9b5.jpg

a12f47a4-9315-4486-8f07-d97c292604ee.jpg

OMG only 12 weeks!? How do you do it!? Look at your awesome leg muscles too.... seriously, how do you do it.
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Once I got started, I saw progress, and started seeing results, then I couldn't stop! Lol!
    07da3z2ij5zq.jpg
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BTW... I love seeing all of these transformations! Great job ladies!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!