Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've totally been stalking the **** out of this thread for a while now.
    Just wanted to say that you're all super creative... it's really inspiring to me!!! Everything you guys post is super cute!!!
    Thanks for all the cool ideas!!! :)
  • DJLS81
    DJLS81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for something that I can put my lunches in, 3 different types of salad, it looks like these boxes will fit the bill perfectly
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    75gw93ci20ie.jpg

I did a vegan Box for tomorrow since i had so much meat this week ;)
    I made Tofu "Meatballs"
    I will also take some Soy Pudding with me to work to have after Lunch!

I hope you all had a nice weekend, mine was quit stressfull!

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    75gw93ci20ie.jpg

I made Tofu "Meatballs"

Wow, that box looks crazy delish!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    75gw93ci20ie.jpg

I made Tofu "Meatballs"

This looks really good. I want to eat all of that!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I went to Daiso for the first time. All items in the picture is$1.50.j6qgqfsazc57.jpg
  • LadyAhiru
    Options
    Aww thank you guys, you are too kind *blushes*
    I hope it tastes as good as it looks^^ I will let you know tomorrow!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I dont know why, but mfp chopped off the majority of my post for no reason. gj mfp. :(
    clh72569 wrote: »
    I went to Daiso for the first time. All items in the picture is$1.50.

Watch out, Daiso is addictive . I havent bought the strawberry boxes, but have been tempted on many occasions.
    75gw93ci20ie.jpg

I made Tofu "Meatballs"

Is that a cucumber salad next to the rice? What have you put with it?
  • clh72569
    Options
    After my shopping trip to Daiso. Here are my bento box for tomorrow.gwrbbn065ve7.jpg
  • clh72569
    Options
    This was my first time making bento boxes.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

My *im-sad-that-I-have-to-come-back-from-holidays* bento. It's not my prettiest, but I'm sure it's tasty. Beef soboro, mukimame, a marinated egg and blanched veg are in the main box. There's two yuzu pepper onigiri in cases, and the two square boxes are my normal yoghurt + extras for breakfast. The lunch portion comes to around 570Cal.

bpl83kntli7q.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I think you did awesome! You'll have to let us know if you enjoyed eating them :smiley:
  • meadowlark42
    meadowlark42 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi all! So, I found this thread about a week ago, obsessively read through it and now am ready to start bento-ing! You all have been massively inspirational, and in particular thank you to whoever posted the instant miso soup recipe, I've taken that in my lunch twice in the last week.

I was already familiar with the concept of bento, but the two bento boxes I had were too small for my calorie needs so I had never done it in a practical way. They'll make great snack bento boxes going forward though. I was at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day and they had the laptop lunch boxes and systema boxes on massive sale (10$us for the laptop lunch box!), so I picked up one of each.

Here's my first bento:
    Laptop box:
    Large green box: baby lettuce mix and cherry tomatoes, with sliced green onions and grated carrots in one purple box and vinaigrette in the other
    Small light blue box: leftover steak to mix in for a delicious steak salad tomorrow
    Small dark blue box: strawberries with a tiny bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar

Snack bento:
    Bottom container: pretzel chips
    Top container: mixed nuts

ph4fkmuuati1.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options

One of us! One of us! I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks.
    Hi all! So, I found this thread about a week ago, obsessively read through it and now am ready to start bento-ing! You all have been massively inspirational, and in particular thank you to whoever posted the instant miso soup recipe, I've taken that in my lunch twice in the last week.

I was already familiar with the concept of bento, but the two bento boxes I had were too small for my calorie needs so I had never done it in a practical way. They'll make great snack bento boxes going forward though. I was at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day and they had the laptop lunch boxes and systema boxes on massive sale (10$us for the laptop lunch box!), so I picked up one of each.

Here's my first bento:
    Laptop box:
    Large green box: baby lettuce mix and cherry tomatoes, with sliced green onions and grated carrots in one purple box and vinaigrette in the other
    Small light blue box: leftover steak to mix in for a delicious steak salad tomorrow
    Small dark blue box: strawberries with a tiny bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar

Snack bento:
    Bottom container: pretzel chips
    Top container: mixed nuts

ph4fkmuuati1.jpg

Looks delish! As to the miso ball recipe, we can thank Makiko Ito over at justbento.com for that one. It was her website that had me fall in love with the bento style lunch in the first place.
  • LadyAhiru
    Options
    I dont know why, but mfp chopped off the majority of my post for no reason. gj mfp. :(
    I went to Daiso for the first time. All items in the picture is$1.50.

Watch out, Daiso is addictive . I havent bought the strawberry boxes, but have been tempted on many occasions.
    75gw93ci20ie.jpg

I made Tofu "Meatballs"

Is that a cucumber salad next to the rice? What have you put with it?

Yes its austrian style cucumber salad.
    You slice the cucumber really thin and put lots of salt on it. After 30 Minutes you press all the water out. Than you just add some oil (not olive oil) some vinegar (i used apple cider) and some garlic and pepper ;)

Some people also like to put in some dill and some yoghurt or sour cream^^
  • LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been diligently tracking my calories and foods, but this past week we had something every single day. It's part of the end of school wrap up - awards ceremonies, dances, etc. Plus some big stuff at work, so I've just been grabbing ugly containers of leftovers or pulling out my trusty homemade freezer burritos (sweet potato, black bean, onion, and spice in a wrap) and going to work. I am going to make something pretty tonight!
  • Narcissora
    Options
    This might be my last bento for a long time. My husband and I move out of our apartment at the end of the week, and the entire moving process is going to be very long - maybe like a month. My bento is getting packed away, and we pretty much will have to eat out until we are completely moved into our new home.

We decided not to go grocery shopping over the weekend so that we can clean out the fridge and cupboards as much as possible. Today's bento is really random.

2r233rcveb05.jpg

Ramen, corn, olives, strawberries, Jell-O, Babybel cheese. We have virtually no protein in the house. Not even a can of tuna. This is going to be a rough week.

If I am able to make another bento before we leave, it will probably have canned fruit and frozen veggies and bread with butter and sprinkles ;)

I actually do have a jar of sprinkles in the pantry.
  • LadyAhiru
    Options
    The jello and the
    Narcissora wrote: »
    This might be my last bento for a long time. My husband and I move out of our apartment at the end of the week, and the entire moving process is going to be very long - maybe like a month. My bento is getting packed away, and we pretty much will have to eat out until we are completely moved into our new home.

We decided not to go grocery shopping over the weekend so that we can clean out the fridge and cupboards as much as possible. Today's bento is really random.

2r233rcveb05.jpg

Ramen, corn, olives, strawberries, Jell-O, Babybel cheese. We have virtually no protein in the house. Not even a can of tuna. This is going to be a rough week.

If I am able to make another bento before we leave, it will probably have canned fruit and frozen veggies and bread with butter and sprinkles ;)

The strawbeeries and the jello looks really good (sald yno jello here in Austria)
    I wish you all the best with your move!
  • Narcissora
    Options
    The jello and the

2r233rcveb05.jpg

The strawbeeries and the jello looks really good (sald yno jello here in Austria)
    I wish you all the best with your move!

I think you actually may have Jell-O, but it is probably called something else. (I think it might be called jelly or something similar?) It's just flavored gelatin, and it is often mixed with vodka for Jell-O shots (or jelly shots).

This one is obviously not mixed with vodka... Or is it? ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

Good luck with the move! I'm pretty sure the jar of sprinkles in my pantry came with the house. Seems to be one of those things that no one ever remembers buying, but we all have.

Here's today's bento. Pork dumplings and an apricot & a half (its all that would fit), rice with smoked sesame seeds and edamame. Snack bento today is brie w/ raspberries and an egg w/ carrots.pzzbo8i0jo7g.jpg
    08boi1lao36n.jpg