If I eat an ice-cream everyday, but stay under the calorie limit, will it still work?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The thing that bothers me most about threads like this is how it influences newbies.
    Most of us have, "been there, done that", myself included. Thought people actually were right about this, and it simply does not work for many of us.

If there is one single piece of advice I would give to all new members, it is MODERATION IN ALL FOODS/DRINKS, and stay within your calorie budget.

Cosigned.

The reason so many of us are defending our little bit of ice cream so vehemently is because we have learned from experience that cutting it out and demonizing different foods is a path to failure.

I have a better relationship with food now than I did when I thought what I ate was so much better than what everyone else did.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    LdyJedi wrote: »
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

I'm pretty sure there are a number of people on these boards eating less than 1900 calories.
  • LdyJedi
    LdyJedi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sincere question. Why would you assume the OP meant they were going to eat primarily unhealthy food when the post said, "if I eat an unhealthy food every day will this still work". Why do people always assume that if someone asks if they can still lose weight and eat ice cream that means they would only be eating ice cream or only calorie dense foods and not that they would be eating primarily nutrient dense foods and working in a treat in moderation which is what all these people with amazing pics are doing?

I assume that OP saw some misleading posts on Facebook or Pinterest or elsewhere online that gave her the impression that eating one serving of ice cream in a day totally invalidates every other healthy choice she makes because, well, ice cream must be bad.

Subsequent posts have confirmed that there are indeed people who feel this way...

I think I assumed that because I, personally, would never consider a single "unhealthy" treat a day as a roadblock to losing weight. I did not read the question as it was apparently intended.

Also, there are far too many fad diets out there that seem to focus on eating a single type of food and promise weight loss, so I have seen such questions on other sites where people think they can eat a diet of pizza and ice cream and lose weight.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Lifeway frozen kefir? Or outshine bars? Very low calorie..in the summer I can have several a day and doesn't seem to inhibit weight loss one iota.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ataysrht wrote: »
    The title is just a tiny example. The question I am trying to ask is; if I eat an unhealty food or something which has lots of calories (such as an ice cream, chocolate, pizza etc.) but still stay under the calorie limit, will this diet/lifestyle still work? I am confused because of all these blog posts and videos saying "Why calorie counting does not work" all over the internet.

Thanks, everyone, for helping this newbie. Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.

It will work but you probably won't feel very good. One of the wonderful things about journaling your food is it gives you the opportunity to look at how you really eat and revamp your diet. Adding healthy foods to your daily intake (lots of fruits and veggies) will make you feel great and will help keep you full, so should you choose to indulge in pizza and ice cream you will be able to control your orations more easily. Take note of how you feel on the days when you eat unhealthy foods (or that night, or even the day after). You may find that you have more stomach discomforts, headaches, and less energy than on the days that you eat well. Sometimes just noticing these body and mind responses is enough to make one pause before making an unhealthy choice. I feel much, much better (and lose more quickly) if I am avoiding those simple carbs (white flour, sugar).

Apples are simple carbs, fyi.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You may lose weight, but you will most likely not have a healthy body otherwise. While a caloric deficit will help you shed pounds, you also need to maintain a healthy balance of nutrients to keep your heart and other muscles functioning properly.
    Why, exactly, does having ice cream most likely mean you won't maintain a healthy balance of nutrients?

From the USDA:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/fewer-calories.html

Regardless of your weight status, empty calories should not be a major part of the diet. For most people, no more than 15% of calories should come from solid fats and added sugars. However, about 35% of the calories Americans typically eat and drink are empty calories. This means that many people choose foods and drinks with TOO MUCH solid fats and added sugars.

Sure you can eat a reasonable amount of ice cream, chips, cookies, etc. But someone trying to lose weight would be best served making sure they know what a serving size is and stay within the 15% suggested for health reasons.

I'm fairly sure there is not a single person on this planet for whom 1 ice cream would consist more than 15% of total calories.

There are 290 calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. 290 calories is a bit over 15% of 1900 calories.

I'm pretty sure there are a number of people on these boards eating less than 1900 calories.
    He didn't say "could." There are ice creams other than Chunky Monkey are servings less than 1/2 a cup. If someone wants ice cream, such a person could find one that fits.

Why did you drag that tired, tired strawman into this?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

From the USDA:

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Which is to say...not an apples to apples comparison....
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely eating ice cream for a second day in a row today. That's what this thread did for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    culver531 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

Yep, we are. Still waiting to hear about which toxins you speak of.

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

I was gonna stay out of here but omg. You're suggesting that food can't be fun and healthy and/or make me happy and be healthy?

So somehow my chunky potato soup - which consists of a variety of fresh vegetables, some plain greek yogurt and a diced chicken breast - is bad for me because it makes me happy?

I just.

beeker-what-is-this-i-dont-even.gif

I have treats almost every single day. I can easily run 4-6 miles. I'm in great health.

If what you're doing works for you, kudos. But insisting it's the right way for everyone is absolute rubbish.

~Lyssa

Whenever someone suggests food shouldn't be fun and only be seen as fuel, my inner cook cries.
    I made some awesome curry just yesterday. It's so good I smile after the first bite.

I don't cook half as much as I would really like to but I have vowed to never just eat something for the sake of eating it, healthy or no. It damn well better be yummy if I'm spending calories on it!

~Lyssa

I'm interested in this chunky potato soup recipe. I'd vegetarianize it. You had me at "potato" and "Greek yogurt".

Happy to oblige...

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/potato-soup-recipe/

It calls for bacon and cheese, but I don't necessarily bother - or just do cheese on top of the portion I'm eating instead. Oh, and chicken stock, but I'm sure you can do veggie stock instead and it'll turn out fine.

I include whatever veggies I have available - usually potatoes, carrots and corn...broccoli too if I have it. 362 calories per serving, including the chicken.

Hopefully you can try it out and see what you think!

ETA: It freezes pretty well, too, if that's something you do with things you cook!

~Lyssa

Thanks! And yes, I freeze stuff all the time. Potatoes!!!!!!!

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

My talenti Mediterranean mint is 200 calories a serving and I'm allotted 1650 cals a day. That puts me at 12%. It can be done on lower calories, the person may just have to be mindful when picking ice cream.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

From the USDA:

He didn't say "could." There are ice creams other than Chunky Monkey are servings less than 1/2 a cup. If someone wants ice cream, such a person could find one that fits.

Why did you drag that tired, tired strawman into this?

Also ben & jerry's is so expensive, I wouldn't eat more than one or two spoons of it at once.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    i actually had someone on here personally msg me about my comments calling me a troll. Everyone should be allowed an opinion and the other party allowed to rebut their opinion, but lets be nice here.
    It's hard to rebut an opinion. That's why everyone keeps asking you for evidence to support what you're saying. If your support is "that's just my opinion" or "common sense," that's fine, I suppose, but those are rather unpersuasive justifications as compared to using actual science.

Evidence, I just guess I go off of what I believe and that is eating healthy is good...I mean I have seen studies on how your body doesnt process sugar well when in high quantities and rises your insulin turning it into fat. I just thought that was the case. I must be wrong and you are ALL right :smile:

And let's just be super duper clear. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what the makeup of your food is, your body will not permanently store calories as fat. That's the crux of how any and all weight loss programs work. If you eat a lot of sugar then your body may temporarily convert the sugar to fat, but if you are eating in a deficit...it'll need to use that fat storage to run your body. It's a simple equation that you keep wanting to make complicated.

I also think it's sad that your head decides that ice cream is not healthy. Of course you already said that is mainly because you lack the skill of portion control. However that doesn't make it inherently unhealthy. I wonder how sad your food log must be.

I like my food log lol I enjoy a lot of blueberries and grapefruit actually lol. The toxins I'm thinking of uhhhh lets see palm oil, soybeanoil, all the dyes especially yellow. This is just a few, I never said no to icecream lol just not everyday. Equation? why not just eat healthy isnt that easier than trying to make food fun or make you happy.

I was gonna stay out of here but omg. You're suggesting that food can't be fun and healthy and/or make me happy and be healthy?

So somehow my chunky potato soup - which consists of a variety of fresh vegetables, some plain greek yogurt and a diced chicken breast - is bad for me because it makes me happy?

I just.

I have treats almost every single day. I can easily run 4-6 miles. I'm in great health.

If what you're doing works for you, kudos. But insisting it's the right way for everyone is absolute rubbish.

~Lyssa

Whenever someone suggests food shouldn't be fun and only be seen as fuel, my inner cook cries.
    I made some awesome curry just yesterday. It's so good I smile after the first bite.

I don't cook half as much as I would really like to but I have vowed to never just eat something for the sake of eating it, healthy or no. It damn well better be yummy if I'm spending calories on it!

~Lyssa

I'm interested in this chunky potato soup recipe. I'd vegetarianize it. You had me at "potato" and "Greek yogurt".

Happy to oblige...

It calls for bacon and cheese, but I don't necessarily bother - or just do cheese on top of the portion I'm eating instead. Oh, and chicken stock, but I'm sure you can do veggie stock instead and it'll turn out fine.

I include whatever veggies I have available - usually potatoes, carrots and corn...broccoli too if I have it. 362 calories per serving, including the chicken.

Hopefully you can try it out and see what you think!

ETA: It freezes pretty well, too, if that's something you do with things you cook!

~Lyssa

*Homer Simpson drool*
    Something good DID come out of this thread!

Bahahaa, yes! I've been hoping I could contribute something good in one of these.

:mrgreen:

~Lyssa
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I eat ice cream once a week.... Am I safe?

I doubt it. I mean, if it works for you, fine, but I personally wouldn't have fewer than 3 servings per week. I don't suppose your "once a week" actually consists of 3 servings at once...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I just.

~Lyssa

~Lyssa

Seconding the request for the potato soup recipe..

Oops I see you already posted it! Thanks! Man this thread is flying...

Better pin that recipe because I have a feeling this thread is getting nuked imminently...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Lifeway frozen kefir? Or outshine bars? Very low calorie..in the summer I can have several a day and doesn't seem to inhibit weight loss one iota.
    I keep Outshine Peach in the freezer for when I need to bump up some carbs. Good stuff.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

From the USDA:

This is interesting. A 1/2 cup of B&J is 100+ grams...a 1/2 cup of, say, Breyers Vanilla ice cream is a bit over half of that - 65g and 130 calories.

The difference is almost certainly all the chunky **** B&J throws in there, none of which is actually "ice cream". So a serving of B&J is like a serving of ice cream plus a Snickers bar.

Which is to say...not an apples to apples comparison....

Good to know. That's why everyone always says to weigh foods and not use stuff like cups I guess.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I eat ice cream once a week.... Am I safe?

I doubt it. I mean, if it works for you, fine, but I personally wouldn't have fewer than 3 servings per week. I don't suppose your "once a week" actually consists of 3 servings at once...

I could eat an entire pint of Talenti in one sitting- thats 4 servings. :D I think I'm safe.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I just.

~Lyssa

~Lyssa

Seconding the request for the potato soup recipe..

:mrgreen:

~Lyssa