Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Wow, everyone has been busy!
    I don't have time now to comment on all the posts I would like to, but I'm feeling pretty happy and wanted you to know that today I'm NORMAL! My weight hit 149.6, which puts my BMI at 24.9 = normal range.

Also, I read about the guy who just won the hot dog eating contest. How bad do you think the water weight would be after eating 17,600 calories and 48,360mg of sodium? (Eating contests are revolting, in my opinion.)
    http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/04/nathans-hot-dog-eating-contest-matt-stonie-chestnut
    That is awesome! Woohoo!

I missed this original post! But yeah, Way to go!!! :)
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't have time now to comment on all the posts I would like to, but I'm feeling pretty happy and wanted you to know that today I'm NORMAL! My weight hit 149.6, which puts my BMI at 24.9 = normal range.

Also, I read about the guy who just won the hot dog eating contest. How bad do you think the water weight would be after eating 17,600 calories and 48,360mg of sodium? (Eating contests are revolting, in my opinion.)
    http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/04/nathans-hot-dog-eating-contest-matt-stonie-chestnut

Wahoo! SUPER GREAT job :)
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @Tubbs216 woohoo!!
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Talking of 'girly' things, I'm right there with you. I really need a new sewing machine and I want this one with the fire of a thousand suns. It's stupid expensive, and doesn't have all the features I need, but it's sooooo pretty....
    bymq5qabx0d6.jpg

I still need to learn how to run the one I own!!! My mother sewed a lot and I never learned from her before she passed. That is something truly missed out on.

I know the feeling. My Grandma was a seamstress extraordinaire. She had 6 grandkids and I was the only girl so I had loads of amazing handmade dresses (pity I was such a tomboy). I taught myself to sew a few years after she passed. I wish I'd started sooner when she was still around. I haven't tried clothing (although I can do basic alterations) but I'm a dab hand at patchwork and quilting. It can be done, just be prepared to think your first few projects are amazing then a couple of months later to realise they were rubbish! It's fun to learn (and to improve).

I've never been good at sewing or anything but I want to learn.

The one thing I've wanted to learn how to do lately is crotchet. I've tried watching videos and using books but I think I need someone to show me and watch to make sure I'm doing it right. I always get stuck once I start trying to do the second line. :( I know if I had someone show me, I could do it.

I can't sew on a button properly. Seriously, I've tried and they fall off. I did manage to learn how to crochet from watching YouTube videos though. Have you given those a try? I did mess up a bit at first, but I just kept making the first line (very short) and following along with the videos on my 'practice' yarn until I got the hang of it. I also found it easier to try granny squares at first.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    That sewing machine! I want!

Mine is just a basic little Brother but it is pale pink - I can't claim responsibility for that though as it was my mother's before she decided she needed a fancier one.

I'm glad you all understand my feelings about frying food in the house. Soooo stinky. We don't have an exhaust fan over our stove either (or anywhere in the kitchen), so everything I cook lingers unless I open the windows. Not too practical in our minus 40 degree winters either as it's a recipe for a burst water pipe.

The smell of Saturday morning bacon haunts me all weekend, too, it's terrible.

So this doesn't help in the winter, but fry outside! I used to have a fry daddy that I could plug in, so I would plug it into the outdoor outlet and fry away. I'm debating setting up my camping stove outside the next time I do fried chicken to keep the fry smell outside, and I feel like that should work as well.

Re gross girls: I was an odd combination of total tomboy that loved to get dirty and rough house, but I would do it while wearing the most frilly dresses possible. My face and hair was always a super-mess though.

My daughters hair!.... I brush it constantly. Knotted up. I keep pushing her to be more SELF AWARE and start doing things for herself and without prompts. The struggle is real.

I will say I am quite proficient at simple braids though. I need to learn to french braid.

Yeah, I'm sure my hair embarrassed my parents. I would brush it sometimes, but it just would get crazy tangled anyway.

Mastering the braid will do wonders for you - I'm 33 and until I chopped all my hair off (pixie cut for the win!), my hair lived in a messy bun. I never really figured the hair thing out.

BTW - awesome on the amusement park NSV! I LOVE roller coasters.

Thanks! Worst times are after swimming or after waking up. I've made it a habit to braid her hair after her shower or before bedtime and that helps a LOT the next day.

I love coasters, too! The BEST part is Kings Dominion is a mere <15 minutes from home. We get season passes every year and we burn em up! It also has a water park inside so we often go swim then dry off by riding coasters before we leave. We also have a Busch Gardens-Water Country less than an hour away as well. Blessed!

I'm sure @LBuehrle8 will back me up on this: If you ever go to Ohio you MUST go to Cedar Point https://www.cedarpoint.com/. It's consistently rated as one of the best parks and is the self-professed "Roller Coaster Capital of the World"
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Talking of 'girly' things, I'm right there with you. I really need a new sewing machine and I want this one with the fire of a thousand suns. It's stupid expensive, and doesn't have all the features I need, but it's sooooo pretty....
    bymq5qabx0d6.jpg

I still need to learn how to run the one I own!!! My mother sewed a lot and I never learned from her before she passed. That is something truly missed out on.

I know the feeling. My Grandma was a seamstress extraordinaire. She had 6 grandkids and I was the only girl so I had loads of amazing handmade dresses (pity I was such a tomboy). I taught myself to sew a few years after she passed. I wish I'd started sooner when she was still around. I haven't tried clothing (although I can do basic alterations) but I'm a dab hand at patchwork and quilting. It can be done, just be prepared to think your first few projects are amazing then a couple of months later to realise they were rubbish! It's fun to learn (and to improve).

I've never been good at sewing or anything but I want to learn.

The one thing I've wanted to learn how to do lately is crotchet. I've tried watching videos and using books but I think I need someone to show me and watch to make sure I'm doing it right. I always get stuck once I start trying to do the second line. :( I know if I had someone show me, I could do it.

I can't sew on a button properly. Seriously, I've tried and they fall off. I did manage to learn how to crochet from watching YouTube videos though. Have you given those a try? I did mess up a bit at first, but I just kept making the first line (very short) and following along with the videos on my 'practice' yarn until I got the hang of it. I also found it easier to try granny squares at first.

Granny squares for the win!! I have made several afghans that way. It's the only stitch I mastered....lol.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Mine is just a basic little Brother but it is pale pink - I can't claim responsibility for that though as it was my mother's before she decided she needed a fancier one.

I'm glad you all understand my feelings about frying food in the house. Soooo stinky. We don't have an exhaust fan over our stove either (or anywhere in the kitchen), so everything I cook lingers unless I open the windows. Not too practical in our minus 40 degree winters either as it's a recipe for a burst water pipe.

So this doesn't help in the winter, but fry outside! I used to have a fry daddy that I could plug in, so I would plug it into the outdoor outlet and fry away. I'm debating setting up my camping stove outside the next time I do fried chicken to keep the fry smell outside, and I feel like that should work as well.

Re gross girls: I was an odd combination of total tomboy that loved to get dirty and rough house, but I would do it while wearing the most frilly dresses possible. My face and hair was always a super-mess though.

My daughters hair!.... I brush it constantly. Knotted up. I keep pushing her to be more SELF AWARE and start doing things for herself and without prompts. The struggle is real.

I will say I am quite proficient at simple braids though. I need to learn to french braid.

Yeah, I'm sure my hair embarrassed my parents. I would brush it sometimes, but it just would get crazy tangled anyway.

Mastering the braid will do wonders for you - I'm 33 and until I chopped all my hair off (pixie cut for the win!), my hair lived in a messy bun. I never really figured the hair thing out.

BTW - awesome on the amusement park NSV! I LOVE roller coasters.

Thanks! Worst times are after swimming or after waking up. I've made it a habit to braid her hair after her shower or before bedtime and that helps a LOT the next day.

I love coasters, too! The BEST part is Kings Dominion is a mere <15 minutes from home. We get season passes every year and we burn em up! It also has a water park inside so we often go swim then dry off by riding coasters before we leave. We also have a Busch Gardens-Water Country less than an hour away as well. Blessed!

I'm sure @LBuehrle8 will back me up on this: If you ever go to Ohio you MUST go to Cedar Point https://www.cedarpoint.com/. It's consistently rated as one of the best parks and is the self-professed "Roller Coaster Capital of the World"

I second that. I took my kids there, maybe 10 years ago or so. Amazing time! Ruined us for all other roller coasters (almost).

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I think my first-world-vacation-problems have just gotten even more first world, as I realize we can now use our extra vacation time for a week of hiking next month but I can't decide where. Last year we did a week in Jasper (northern Alberta Rockies) but now I'm torn between the southern stuff (Banff, Yoho, Waterton, Icefields, that kind of thing) or maybe doing interior British Columbia.

Not gonna lie though, this is exactly why we're not having kids for a long while yet, so we can take three vacations a year and change our plans on a whim...

Enjoy it while you can! My daughter is in daycare and son is in afterschool care. During the school year it is $840 per month and during the summer it is $1040 per month. Craziness!

YIKES. I worked in a nursery and the costs per month per child were only 45 RO (not including food and bus services) per month, which is a little less than 120 USD per month. The prices have since gone up, but they're still not nearly that costly!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Yay! That's a wonderful victory to achieve. :) Congratulations, you're SUPER GREAT and high-five-a-shark-awesome! :p

I read just yesterday about some woman who won a 4th of July hotdog eating competition. Although her way of winning was pretty yucky--She ate the hotdogs alone first, then dipped the buns into soda water or something and crammed them down... It sounded nauseating.

I find them revolting and very wasteful, myself. Nobody is enjoying all that food they're trying to cram down their throats, and force-feeding yourself when you don't even want to is one of the worst forms of wastefulness in existence. :-/
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Wow, congratulations and well done! :)

• Susieq_1994
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    So, we didn't get to go for our morning walk this morning because I blew out the tire on the jogging stroller again (I've worn through 7 tires in the last 1.5 years!) during yesterday's afternoon walk. We went to the bike shop and bought our new tire this morning with plans to go this afternoon but it's hot and super humid today and I don't want to go! I'm going to make myself suck it up and go once my son gets up from nap. I know I'll be melting by the time we get home but I'll be mad if we skip both walks today.

That stinks, but you can do it! You'll be melting but happy if you go through with it, after all. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 I'm so sorry :( I hope the flare is a short one and you get to feeling better soon :(

@orangesmartie That's such an awesome attitude! Today is a new day and it's going to be great! I am jealous- I want to go to Nashville! lol not sure about the running (I run like an arthritic tortoise) but the rest sounds awesome.

AFM, it was a whirlwind weekend. I have Insulin Resistance and I'm hypoglycemic. If I eat like I'm supposed to (very strict, controlled diet) I can maintain my weight. Eat less, and I'll lose. Eat a bit of sugar, I get sick for half a day. I'm not kidding, either- an entire chocolate chip cookie is enough to have me on the couch for a few hours :( I eat ice cream or gelato by 1 tbsp and that's it and I'll still feel weird after unless I down water. Can't really eat fruit, unless it's a couple berries. I've learned to adjust and it's hard to own a home bakery when I want to taste everything but I've learned not to. I also scaled back my business.

My mom was watching oldest DS for us on July 4th, so when we went to pick him up yesterday, we grilled chicken and vegs for her as a "thank you". She had made two desserts and basically guilt tripped me into eating a bite of each. A regular forkful sized bite of each. I still don't feel right. I'm so bloated my pants don't fit well, my stomach is heaving, and I have a pounding headache. I'm mad at myself for not sticking to my guns.

But...in great news, we were approved to adopt the dog! She's coming up here on Saturday!! SO excited! We got some supplies and DH is actually getting excited, too. Her foster mom keeps sending me pics and it's making me so anxious to see her!

Ugh, I hope you feel better! You would think your mom understands how bloated & sick you get from eating sugar.

Happy to hear that you were approved to adopt the dog.

What's funny is she's diabetic, so she should understand. Her dose of Metformin is too high though but she doesn't go get it changed, because it allows her to eat a LOT of fruits and sweets (to counteract the Metformin). I tell her she's the worst diabetic ever.

I feel a tiny bit better today, but still have a headache and the scale is +3 lb. To be fair, I'm PMSing as well, so it's probably from TOM. It's not helping my funk, that's for sure.

Oh and I got into the MS program! Found out yesterday! Classes start Aug 31, so I have 8-ish weeks to lose some more weight and hopefully get to goal before I gotta turn my focus into maintaining and school. Should be doable. I'd like to lose about 8 lb, so 1 lb/wk would work.

Congrats -- well done, you!
  • ythannah
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    eta: thanks for the guy comment, i'm trying to not get discouraged! going out to meet a dude tonight, let's hope he's not crazy or meh! :)

I hope it goes better than the last two!

Chiming in here....your date is probably over already, hope it went well!

post date update:

met the dude at a tavern downtown. really super nice guy. had good conversation, were able to laugh and joke a lot, which is awesome. not creepy and not meh (woo!) lol

issues i'm currently trying to reconcile in my brain: (remember NO JUDGEMENT)
    - if i hadn't met him on a dating website, where orientation is posted, i would NEVER believe this guy is straight. i texted my friend (who is gay) that i was on a date with his straight doppelganger. so many times through out the night in my head i was just like, omg this is frank, i'm on a date with straight frank. boisterous, animated, like that always turned on and ready to take the stage personality.

- very very talkative. which isn't terrible, but he'd ask me something and half way through my story, he'd being going off on a tangent on something else, and completely cut me off. so like, a 3 minute story would take me like 10 minutes as i'd have to reel him back off the tangent, pick up where i left off and keep going. and the random tangents were funny and he had tons of interesting things to talk about, but seriously talked way more than me. way, way more.

- he's about an inch taller than me, and has a much more slender build. i'm quite "thick," i have tree trunk thighs that aren't going anywhere. so it's kinda like oh, here's dude and his fat girlfriend. and maybe that's dumb of me to think, but i do.

he did say he had a really good time and would like to see me again. which i might do to see if maybe he was just nervous/excited on the "first" date?

Having known several straight guys that you'd swear were gay throughout my life... they're really really REALLY nice guys. Thoughtful, kind, considerate, etc. (One did eventually come out as gay in his thirties, however.) But there's a lot to be said for a guy who is comfortable enough to be "himself" rather than putting on the stereotypical macho act for fear of being viewed as effeminate.

The interrupting thing would drive me a bit nutso, though. I'm cool with someone talking more than me because I'm pretty quiet and shy at first.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So, we didn't get to go for our morning walk this morning because I blew out the tire on the jogging stroller again (I've worn through 7 tires in the last 1.5 years!) during yesterday's afternoon walk. We went to the bike shop and bought our new tire this morning with plans to go this afternoon but it's hot and super humid today and I don't want to go! I'm going to make myself suck it up and go once my son gets up from nap. I know I'll be melting by the time we get home but I'll be mad if we skip both walks today.

7 tires in 1.5 years that's crazy. As I have said before you really inspire me to get moving when I look at your step count!!
    Yeah, I'm always thinking.."didn't we JUST get a new one"?? Jeez! And thank you!

That stinks, but you can do it! You'll be melting but happy if you go through with it, after all. :)

I know, he just got up..we're getting ready to go now. If you guys don't hear back from me, call for back up..it's because I've melted into a puddle and can't get home.

ETA: Now the sky is all grey clouds..looking like rain/thunder coming in. Not sure if it's going to happen.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I think my first-world-vacation-problems have just gotten even more first world, as I realize we can now use our extra vacation time for a week of hiking next month but I can't decide where. Last year we did a week in Jasper (northern Alberta Rockies) but now I'm torn between the southern stuff (Banff, Yoho, Waterton, Icefields, that kind of thing) or maybe doing interior British Columbia.

Not gonna lie though, this is exactly why we're not having kids for a long while yet, so we can take three vacations a year and change our plans on a whim...

Enjoy it while you can! My daughter is in daycare and son is in afterschool care. During the school year it is $840 per month and during the summer it is $1040 per month. Craziness!

Downright insane! Almost makes working not worth working! lol

Word. My son is old enough now to not need after school care, but this month alone for summer day camp expenses its costing us $1157.00. For one kid. Hooray for dependent day care reimbursement!
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I know, he just got up..we're getting ready to go now. If you guys don't hear back from me, call for back up..it's because I've melted into a puddle and can't get home.

Should I call and say, 'this girl I know on the internet hasn't been back to check our super great thread and I'm afraid she's melted into a puddle...and she might have a broken wheel on her jogging stroller...and the stroller will have a totally cute little boy in it...and her name is Kelly...which she spells wrong...and she lives in Maine'? ;)

And BTW, you're my hero! I don't know how you get up so darn early to run and then go for two walks! I'll never achieve your steps, but I'm aspiring to be more like you!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Verklempt! I just dropped daughter at airport. She's flying solo - with a change of planes even. She is doing well overall. Eating is MUCH better, she stops when she is full. She is not obsessing so much over her weight. I hid the scale. I got rid of her FAT mirror. It was evil, added lumps and pounds to even her slender figure. She now comes and looks in my mirror which is not a mean, lying, evil mirror. She is much happier. She is looking forward to school and to checking out colleges. She is checking out one college this week. Oh, WestcoastJo I may have to ask you in PM where you are (of course you don't have to answer). I also may forget to do it as I am leaving tonight with SO.

Do you hear that? It is getting louder. In N Out protein style no cheese or sauce is calling me!! (It is unusual that I'm called by food so I must go check it out.) :wink:
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options

WOW! Yay for being normal. :) Seriously though, good job on that.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »

I have long hair, down to nearly the bottom of my back. Sometimes I discover massive knots that seem to take up residence in my ponytail. I am 32 and need to be more self aware too!!

<3 loooove me some long hair. Brings out the *RAWR* in me. :naughty:

And then you could practice your french braids (plaits where I live) on it!

LOL please, go on... :innocent:

Funny thing is I see some women with this long, beautiful, silky smooth, flowing hair that looks like it's never once tangled, well my daughters hair is the exact opposite. Even with gobs of great conditioner, after a day of playing her hair becomes a full on gridlock. Thank God for the 'wet brush'. Such a lifesaver.

I have to use this or I cannot brush my hair: It is expensive but so worth it, I also figured out that I can water it down and make it go further.

Thanks for the post. I don't recall the bottle so maybe I missed it but I will check that one out!

I should have mentioned my daughter's hair. IT had a life of it's own when she was younger. She refused to have it cut. It moved around like brunette "Arial" hair. It was wavy and straight combined. She would not sit still to have it combed/brushed and always had knots in it. It really had so much personality - big moving hair and wild-child smiling girly girl running around getting grungy and muddy. <3

ETA it is a little lighter now but still brown and still beautiful. She can do anything with it and does.

• ythannah
    Options
    Thanks! Spotters are helpful, but really safety bars will take care of you if you don't want to spend the money on a gym/trainer. A lot of lifts you just won't be able to pull if you'll fail, squats and bench press are the two lifts that I could get stuck on, but the safety bars can catch those for me. I totally get not wanting to rely on the safety bars though. My husband and I used to go to the gym on different days but I asked him to change to my days so I don't get stuck when doing bench press - that's the only one I worry about getting stuck on ;)

My super great SO bought me a power rack for Christmas as my lifting is done in the basement, alone. I have the safety rail positions marked with tape for squat and bench press so I can switch them quickly... and accurately, as I lift first thing in the morning, and I've been known to put the wrong weight on the bar, half asleep. :o

Before the rack I've failed on bench press (I'm overly cautious with squats anyway) and that was really scary. Funny, now that I have the safety rails, I've never come close to failing.