What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• sarahhlostt
    sarahhlostt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awww I love this thread.

People don't tell you how easy it is to fall back into your old lifestyle, even if you work out. I gained 20 lbs this year even though I ran 2 half marathons and one full last year. I would do nothing in between races but eat like crazy saying "I'll just lose it when I train"... Which didn't happen! Have your cheat moments, but earn them!

The eating more veggies and "poo" comment so made me laugh!
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have gone down to a size 4 in the last year and I am having a hard time finding clothes that fit. Either they do not stock that size, or it gets picked clean as soon as new clothes go in . . . I am not sure. But I've been trying to find new pants for months, and I haven't yet found one that fits.

Speaking of pants and how they fit, apparently women's pants are not currently made for someone with a 10" difference between hips and waist. Anything I find that fits my hips gaps at the waist by several inches. I wish I knew what the manufacturers were using as standards.

Look for "curvy" fits. If you're in the States, you might try Loft and Ann Taylor for curvy fit pants. They're the best-fitting pants I've found. I recently discovered that Express jeans work great for my 11" difference waist/hips. Don't pay full price at Loft/AT. They have lots of 40-50% off sales.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    I have gone down to a size 4 in the last year and I am having a hard time finding clothes that fit. Either they do not stock that size, or it gets picked clean as soon as new clothes go in . . . I am not sure. But I've been trying to find new pants for months, and I haven't yet found one that fits.

Speaking of pants and how they fit, apparently women's pants are not currently made for someone with a 10" difference between hips and waist. Anything I find that fits my hips gaps at the waist by several inches. I wish I knew what the manufacturers were using as standards.

Women's pants sizes suck. When I was bigger, I would struggle to find ones that fit ok in waist AND hips, but they were usually long enough (Im 5'9"). Now I'm a size 10 nz and I they are all too short. It's like they assume you must be small in all dimensions. I wear almost exclusively skirts and dresses for that reason. I only have 1 pair of work trousers these days because they are so hard to find :s
    I have had this issue at any size I ever was, as I have a swayback as well as curves. Even at my skinniest ever (still around 10 kg off that one) pant shopping was a drama and left me in tears. In fact got so fed up with it that it got me into sewing. Haven't bought pants in 10 years or so, not intending to ever again either.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    stormyview wrote: »

Look for "curvy" fits. If you're in the States, you might try Loft and Ann Taylor for curvy fit pants. They're the best-fitting pants I've found. I recently discovered that Express jeans work great for my 11" difference waist/hips. Don't pay full price at Loft/AT. They have lots of 40-50% off sales.

I have the same problem. I've also found pants at Express/Limited. Also Walmart (ugh) and the Gap.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Awww I love this thread.

People don't tell you how easy it is to fall back into your old lifestyle, even if you work out. I gained 20 lbs this year even though I ran 2 half marathons and one full last year. I would do nothing in between races but eat like crazy saying "I'll just lose it when I train"... Which didn't happen! Have your cheat moments, but earn them!

The eating more veggies and "poo" comment so made me laugh!

Did the same thing when training for a triathlon. I added so much cardio to my life and didn't decrease resistance training. Triathlon was over and I kept eating, but stopped the two a days....still trying to re-lose that weight after 3 more triathlons.
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me that how hard it would be to find a proper size at various stages of weight loss. I lose some fat from my chest first and then some from belly so when I go out to buy a shirt it would be lose from chest area and tight at the waist. Such a dilemma.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    [
    Kalici wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »

Personally, I prefer suspenders.

Given what suspenders are in the UK, and that you are a chap, the mental image conjured up is...unfortunate. Think Rocky Horror Show.

Pfft, Tim Curry in those suspenders was HOT.

I second this.
  • Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "You will sometimes get annoyed or even angry when people offer you seconds or say you "deserve" a treat. I'm trying to lose weight! Extra calories means more work for me! Back off! (I'm still training my boyfriend about this). "

I am on the beginning of my journey and find that is already happening, but I have trained my husband and kid to pick a healthy treat and let me eat it when I have the room for it. I love asparagus, strawberries, and freshly picked tomatoes grown locally.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

When I got heavy, having clothes in stock was the best part about it. LOL.

I get a 12" hip-spring (hip-waist difference) at the low end of my healthy weight. I've heard scuttlebutt that Walmart, The Limited, and Gap have curvier pants. I know that Anne Taylor has "curvy fit," too.

Bongo jeans used to be the only ones that fit. They have THE MOST AWESOME curviness.

EDIT: HA! People already beat me to 3 of the 4. lolol.
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue at any size I ever was, as I have a swayback as well as curves. Even at my skinniest ever (still around 10 kg off that one) pant shopping was a drama and left me in tears. In fact got so fed up with it that it got me into sewing. Haven't bought pants in 10 years or so, not intending to ever again either.

I make almost everything I wear. My 12" (or more) waist/hip difference happens in the space of 3 vertical inches. No company will ever make ready to wear to fit that.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    How people will try to sabotage your diet once they see you are doing well.

Has this happened to you? I feel like it has to me but I assumed I was being paranoid. :s
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stormyview wrote: »

Thank you, I will take a look at Loft/AT. I used to wear Express jeans all the time, but eventually decided I liked jeans with a higher rise. Perhaps they are making some now that high rise pants are more in fashion. I suspect that a good fit requires a bit of tailoring, which is a catch 22 for me, because my budget doesn't really allow me to buy expensive clothes, and it seems a bit of a waste to invest $$ in tailoring for cheap clothes.

I sew, but I don't really have the skills to tailor pants.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    People will hate on you as if you didn't put in the work. They will tell you how "lucky you are".

OMG... the minute the "L" word comes out of their mouth I am down their throat before the "ucky" comes out :) BUt then I do that when someone says that about my job/income/lifestyle too.... My favorite response is "OMG it is so weird - seems like the harder I work the luckier I get?! Whats up with that?!"

The people who don't put in the effort to get to an ideal weight should get stuck with a "l" word, or Lazy.

• raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How you can lose 50 pounds and maintain the EXACT same body shape. Same shape just smaller format. I'm now lifting heavier weights hoping that bigger muscles will change my shape a bit more. dreaded apple body.

Hi, please consider looking into Callanetics by Callan Pickney or The Lotte Berk Method to encourage your body to lean out into a more X shape.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    ItsFinallyHappening Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This was a great thread, I've read them all. Thanks everyone for sharing. It's a good thread to read on those unmotivated days!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!