What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options

That walking on a treadmill at a super steep incline prepares you for going up the mountain.
    I was pretty surprised at this as well. It can't replicate the difference in elevation, but it does work well in building up the muscles you'd use for hiking in hills/mountains.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @raregem99 I loved the Callanetics workout video. The one I have is from back in the 1980's. I haven't tried it since I was so overweight, but know that I've lost some I might have to try again.
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wanted to make this thread for motivationial purposes more than anything but they don't all have to be super positive! More of what came as a surprise. I'll start..

- how much confidence it will actually bring, especially when strangers start treating you like royalty all of a sudden!

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

- how vain you will become! I can't walk past a mirror without checking how I look nowadays!

Your turn!

• Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You start feeling like your old self again! You start remembering that girl and you feel like you can actually be her again! 30 lbs down! 33 more to go! Half way to go to weigh what I did in high school!
  • Zia209
    Zia209 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Zia209 wrote: »
    Nobody told me that I would be cold more than ever before. Also, that my body would look worse before it started to get better. The joys! :)

This - - I did not know a person could be droopy everywhere.

I am not really " droopy" but my arms and legs are a lot smaller than my middle. I look a little deformed, but my middle with shrink with time and it will all even out again.

• ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find the thread interesting and two, random observations spring to mind.

One is about my fellow weight losers.... Once you get down a ways they can look at you in disgust for talking about dieting when they conclude you don't have a weight problem so great as theirs.... I doubt anyone here would do that, but it happens in the wild.

Another random observation, when I get depressed I can't eat. This is not something society can believe about an overweight person, why they assume if I am depressed I must put a quart of ice cream on one hand and lard in the other and feed like a pig at the trough :smile: but no, I stop eating...

Society has some deeply held beliefs, that's for sure

So true about the depression. I've been going through a bout recently and have had no appetite whatsoever. I'm not used to having to FORCE myself to eat
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    People will hate on you as if you didn't put in the work. They will tell you how "lucky you are".

OMG... the minute the "L" word comes out of their mouth I am down their throat before the "ucky" comes out :) BUt then I do that when someone says that about my job/income/lifestyle too.... My favorite response is "OMG it is so weird - seems like the harder I work the luckier I get?! Whats up with that?!"

Hahaha... that gave me a good laugh :)
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    People will hate on you as if you didn't put in the work. They will tell you how "lucky you are".

OMG... the minute the "L" word comes out of their mouth I am down their throat before the "ucky" comes out :) BUt then I do that when someone says that about my job/income/lifestyle too.... My favorite response is "OMG it is so weird - seems like the harder I work the luckier I get?! Whats up with that?!"

Wish there was a like/love button feature....just for this.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about how painful it can be finding bones you didn't realize were hiding! Yesterday I kept trying to prop my elbows on my desk at work and found it very painful. At first I thought my elbow was on something, then thought that maybe it was bruised. Only when I actually lifted my shirt sleeve up and felt where it hurt did I realize that it was my bone I was feeling!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    You will sometimes get annoyed or even angry when people offer you seconds or say you "deserve" a treat. I'm trying to lose weight! Extra calories means more work for me! Back off! (I'm still training my boyfriend about this).

I call them diet saboteurs. My family is supportive, but my coworkers would do this kind of stuff. Since I started my weight loss journey again, I didn't mention a word about it to them. I'll let them figure out I've been trying to lose weight when they start noticing.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Someone posted about not being able to eat when depressed. I am experiencing that right now. I started the morning in an icy fury, but have no desire for sugar carbs or chocolate. Kickboxing (which I don't actually do, so I would just hurt myself), but not food.

It takes some doing (and is tied in to other facets of my success) but it's odd to be in the position of wanting the endorphins from exercise more than the serotonin from sugar carbs.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The alcohol thing is really startling, isn't it @odaveyrules? I used to be able to drink my friends under the table. At the Fourth of July parade I had to leave early because the five or so beers I had sent me over the edge. I reeeeeeeally have to be careful. I guess that's good though, less alcohol calories.... :p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!