Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    You guys have a drive thru Liquor store?! really?! that's crazy!

*continues with the quiz fluffy put up*

Awww it didn't tell me where I was from. :disappointed: I must say you have some crazy things, but I was really surprised to see phrases from England. Like 'Car boot sale" and "lorry" and "rubbernecking"

I got the error twice - I'll try later from my computer, maybe that will help.

I use rubbernecking - as the action that causes the traffic jam.

Yea that's what I put for rubbernecking :smile:

Edit: I did mine from a computer and it didn't work
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Ugh having a rough day today… Took yesterday off work to do a mental health day… I did my C25k run, walked around 2 different malls (did buy a few things, but not much), drank some Starbucks, actually got a mani/pedi…and then last night was rough, my nails are already smudged, came in this morning to a scolding from my boss (who is notoriously difficult to please, but still…) and I’ve just had it. I WAS less stressed yesterday until dealing with my defiant 3.5 yr old, and now this…
    Weight’s down a bit, and I hit goal weight#2. Not happy (still) with how I look, so I lowered it again to 120. I’m 5’4.5; that should still be ok. 128.5 looks lumpy on me. Hoping the jogging will help thin my legs/hips more.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Edit: typo
    I always felt weird about saying it. Same with saying "ma'am" and "sir." I would go over to friends' houses and they'd get in SO much trouble for not saying these to their parents. Calling my mom ma'am would be SO weird.

One time I was in school and a teacher asked me a question. I replied "yes." She stared at me and said "yes what???" I was just confused until I finally realized she wanted me to say ma'am. I didn't mean any disrespect... just feels weird on my tongue. Maybe my dad's northern blood got into me (and for someone born in Texas my mom sounds pretty northern herself :lol:)

That is weird. I have never said ma'am or sir to my parents...or a teacher...or maybe even anyone. That's just weird to say it to your own parents though, I think.
    Some people told me they went up north and accidentally offended a few folks by calling them ma'am and sir. I think my mom would have hated it if I called her these. Something about our relationship felt more buddy buddy than my friends' relationships with their parents, though. Didn't have very strict parents.
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol
    Exactly, me too! :lol: I've never heard someone say "fat coke" either (I call it regular), but I love that.
    You guys have a drive thru Liquor store?! really?! that's crazy!

*continues with the quiz fluffy put up*

Awww it didn't tell me where I was from. :disappointed: I must say you have some crazy things, but I was really surprised to see phrases from England. Like 'Car boot sale" and "lorry" and "rubbernecking"
    To be honest I didn't know about drive thru liquor stores... but now that I know they exist, I am sure they exist in my home state and I just never noticed.

Ha ha I'm not sure if 'fat coke' is a family thing. I guess it was the connection that regular coke makes you fat, so it got called fat coke.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    We have a BIG thunderstorm going through right now. There was a tornado around the city about an hour ago but it didn't touch down, fortunately. I moved my car into the garage and covered my plants just in time - there was hail the size of golf balls for about 5 minutes! EEek!

There was a storm that went through central or southern Alberta yesterday, some of the pictures were nuts! Entire crops were ruined, peoples windows were smashed & trees were stripped of leaves & bark.

Hope your place continues to be okay!

This storm talk reminds me. Most of Oman is built on the inside of a very deep river, so I'm pretty sure I have you beat on storm pictures. Behold:

Those pictures remind me of the images coming out of New Orleans after hurricane Rita hit.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I have to convert, but can do so in my head....I prefer lbs, feet/inches, km and fahrenheit, lol, I know, so messed up!

I don't convert, I just know. And I'm all over the place with how I express measurements. I prefer lbs for my own weight and my lifts (because all my plates are in lbs), km for driving, miles for walking, celsius for temperature... but I can do snowfall in either inches or cm, use feet and meters interchangeably, comfortable with both grams/ml and ounces for cooking or food measuring.

And carbonated beverages are always POP.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the kind words! ❤️

We looked at the smaller home and I think we could make it work. It's a 3br 2ba singlewide as opposed to the 3br 2ba doublewide we were originally looking at, so it's a bit smaller. Hubby is going to call tomorrow and see if they can tell us what we'd be looking at as far as down payment and monthly payments. We're trying to figure out how to come up with a down payment, and we do have until November 19th to accept the loan and pay the down payment and deposits, we're just hoping for a smaller amount to try to come up with instead of 7K. We're both tired of renting, this neighborhood isn't the best as far as safety and peace of mind, and we want something to show for what we've been working so hard to achieve. I'm staying optimistic about it, and we're going to do our best, but if it doesn't work out I guess there's a pretty good reason.

Fingers crossed for you! You deserve a home of your own!

This.
    I am never, ever gonna get caught up in the batcave! UGH!

It's exploded like crazy, hasn't it?! I never expected that. It seems a lot of people like the privacy of it, for confessions and otherwise. :)

I love the batcave!!

And this.
    Has anyone seen @BZAH10 around or have I just missed her posts?

She hasn't been in here that I've seen...but she liked a status of mine the other day...so she's still around.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"

We do the same thing in my family. Do you want a coke? OK what kind?

So out at a restaurant..would you just order the specific soda that you want? Or would you still say "coke" and then the name of it? This is so strange to me! :open_mouth:

"what kind of coke do you have?". Or order the kind you want from the menu. I usually drink tea or water and always have...
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I am going for my appointment at the Y in a few minutes to get set up on the new weight machines. Then I have to come home, grab a shower and head out to the second part of that test on my legs (and make sure I am wearing underwear this time, lol). Then gonna grab dinner with a friend because I also have a meeting tonight. I am too tried to be this busy today! I can't wait til its over!

Have a good day everyone!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I have to convert, but can do so in my head....I prefer lbs, feet/inches, km and fahrenheit, lol, I know, so messed up!

I don't convert, I just know. And I'm all over the place with how I express measurements. I prefer lbs for my own weight and my lifts (because all my plates are in lbs), km for driving, miles for walking, celsius for temperature... but I can do snowfall in either inches or cm, use feet and meters interchangeably, comfortable with both grams/ml and ounces for cooking or food measuring.

And carbonated beverages are always POP.

I know, I feel like I am the only Canadian in the whole country that says soda, lol. I have friends that bug me all the time about that!

Ok guys, I am gonna try a Quest bar this morning before my Y appt, cuz I am a eat breakfast a few hours after waking kinda person, and I don't have time for that today, and I cannot work out on an empty stomach.....so I will let you know how it goes tonight!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

Average mean temperatures for January (in both C and F):

Thunder Bay: -15 / 5
    Edmonton: -11.7 / 11
    Montreal: - 8.9/16
    Dayton, OH: -2.5/27.5
    New Jersey: -1/30.5 (and the area of Kansas I checked was about the same)
    Portland, OR: 5.2/41
    Dayton, OH: 8/46
    Saudi Arabia: 14/57
    Corpus Christie, TX: 14/57

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

ETA: Obviously I didn't do everyone. I just picked a few people at random.

Dayton, OH is on the list twice. Should that be something else?

Also, 30°F sounds about right for January because February is usually our coldest month for some weird reason. It was unusually warm in January this year. On our warmest day it was 74°F or 23.33°C. People were wearing shorts and it was weird.

I'm really behind but yes the second Dayton was somewhere in Tennessee. I can't remember what city I picked.

With those temps, I am going to guess Memphis. Hot, humid, may as well be Mississippi, home of Rendezvous Ribs, never wear a winter coat Memphis. In my neck of the woods, we're around 34 F most of January.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @kelly_c_77 :) And @riderfangal too! (I somehow missed your post originally) Seriously though thank you ladies you help me a lot!
  • levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I can always start looking for a fast food job as the minimum wage for fast food workers just got increased to $15 in New York. I get that people need a living wage but to me this is just ridiculous. That was more than I made when I first started working a couple years ago with a masters degree. Can you tell I feel slighted in all sorts of ways today?! Sorry to be such a downer!

I am also one who envy's the heavy lifters. I love the results that are possible but honestly don't think I would enjoy it very much. I've recently joined a bootcamp class where my muscles are always super sore afterwards so maybe I've found a happy medium. Crossing my fingers I see results soon!

In a place like New York City, how do you live on a wage less than that?

I could definitely understand $15/hr in a place like New York City, but this is for the whole state and I live in rural upstate New York. That wage increase nearly doubles the current minimum wage of $8.75. It just stinks when you spend 6 years and $60,000 on a fancy degree to make the same amount as someone who didn't put that effort in.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."
    Inside... for her protection. :)

She's 160 pounds...She'd probably be bigger than the prowler. LOL

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

I love everything about this so much. I especially love the look on Tig's face. Bet you didn't think I remembered your dog's name was Antigone, did you?! :smiley:

How could you not?!? It's the most awesome name...LOL
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I can always start looking for a fast food job as the minimum wage for fast food workers just got increased to $15 in New York. I get that people need a living wage but to me this is just ridiculous. That was more than I made when I first started working a couple years ago with a masters degree. Can you tell I feel slighted in all sorts of ways today?! Sorry to be such a downer!

I am also one who envy's the heavy lifters. I love the results that are possible but honestly don't think I would enjoy it very much. I've recently joined a bootcamp class where my muscles are always super sore afterwards so maybe I've found a happy medium. Crossing my fingers I see results soon!

In a place like New York City, how do you live on a wage less than that?

I could definitely understand $15/hr in a place like New York City, but this is for the whole state and I live in rural upstate New York. That wage increase nearly doubles the current minimum wage of $8.75. It just stinks when you spend 6 years and $60,000 on a fancy degree to make the same amount as someone who didn't put that effort in.

PREACH!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Hey @m1xm0d3 you alive!? How was the concert!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    labohn91 wrote: »
    I like to wear my headphones with no music so I can listen in on peoples conversation.
    Haha! People probably think this is why I cut off one of the earbuds on all my sets of headphones. It is NOT. The reasons are two-fold: 1. I'm deaf in one ear so putting that one in is pointless and 2. It stops my kids from stealing my headphones. :)

I have one snipped off my cycling buds so I can better hear the traffic to my left. :)

I just tuck the dangling end into my bra strap. :)

I do that, too.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

I love her!! Bull mastiff?

English mastiff. Bulls are a little smaller and usually stockier.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

English mastiff. Bulls are a little smaller and usually stockier.

I want one <3
  • quiksylver296
    Options

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

I love how she doesn't look interested in eating the cute little kitten!

Nope. She and the kitty (who's grown up now) are good friends. The cat, Lucky, gets upset if Tig (the mastiff) is outside the sliding glass door wanting in. Lucky will paw at the door from the inside until we get up and let Tig in. Lucky rubs up on Tig and loves on her all the time.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.
    Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

My family has always either said "XYZ" or just "zip your zipper."

Yep, XYZ or the reference to the barn door being open and a horse might get out...
    I liked an elderly Winston Churchill's answer when someone told him his fly was unzipped "Dead birds don't fall out of trees"!

Isn't that EXACTLY what a dead bird would do?! :neutral:

• quiksylver296
    Options

I'm in the soda camp. Born and raised in southern Idaho.