• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    my chalk board of LIFE
    001_zpshlwnkazk.jpg

Becca again....
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Pip - Here's hoping the meds help and you get some relief!! Update: Well darn it, maybe that second one will do it :)

Beth in WNY - thank you so much for your kind words. That was my oldest grandson, he'll be 22 on Monday. Where has the time gone? He's thinking of going in to some branch of the ministry. I've not had any news today on my BiL. I'm not wanting to call my sis cuz I don't think she is feeling all that well yet either, but it's hard not knowing. Thanks for you're kind words.

DJ - Thanks, I thot the same thing about Pip's reflection in Floyd's sunglasses and forgot to mention it. Same minds and all that stuff ya know :)

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2015
    Michele: Great NSV with the floatation belt! :bigsmile:

Grits: I love walking & also riding a bike. I hope you're able to find an exercise that you'll enjoy. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: Awesome NSV! Congratulations!!! Getting into clothes that I outgrew years ago was a treat for me, and I can guess how great if feels for you. :flowerforyou:

Janet/Pip/Terri: I don't care whether it is a croc or a gator. It reminds me of Captain Hook and I don't want to swim anywhere near it. The other side of the continent may be too close. :laugh:

Barbie: My doctor told me it was time for the appointments and made the referral for both the mammogram and bone scan. I called to set the time and date. I was lucky too get them back-to-back on the same day and same location. I've been told that my insurance will only do a bone scan every other year. :ohwell:

Pip: If the tramadol lets you get a good night's rest it will be worth the trouble. Good luck and rest well. :flowerforyou:

Beth: I'll still take one Citracal, but I'm boosting my vitamin D3 to 2000IU per day. When the doctor comes back from vacation we'll discuss the issue. This is the regime DH's MS doctor has him following, interestingly, enough. :huh:

Becca: I love the motivational chalkboard message, "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all things shall be EXCEEDINGLY well!" :bigsmile:

I went to spin class with my neighbor this morning. She does Zumba and I spin. I burned a lot of calories and then ate them all back at dinner. At the moment I am feeling overfed. :frown:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Becca - oh my goodness girl, I would not have reocgnized you. You should be so PROUD of yourself. You have come a long way and look so great now. I'd love some blackberries. We planted a bush this spring and have a few berries if I can keep the squirrels from eating them all. Glad you posted again, I always miss your great wit and humor. I look forward to it every day. Just saw you're board, I love it.

Katla - Made me laugh. AND I definitely have to agree on that one, it DOESN'T make any difference what it is. Yikes!!

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Katla I thought you might enjoy this picture of my DD jumping for her first time!
    ogks6f8zpovv.jpg
    Pip - take it easy and get better. I hope you get some relief.

Beth - the app is very helpful you will find it very informative.

DJ - thanks, you look great! I saw your picture.

Becca - WoW! you made a great transformation! I love your board.

Michele - great NSV you are lucky you didn't flip out of your belt!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Mary/MN - You are just beautiful in those pictures. I'm going to look at the strong lift 5x5 site. Maybe that willl be incorporated into my September goals after I finish this Pilates goal for August.

Linda/IA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Mary/MN - You are just beautiful in those pictures. I'm going to look at the strong lift 5x5 site. Maybe that willl be incorporated into my September goals after I finish this Pilates goal for August.

Linda/IA

Thank you! I was shocked at how many inches I lost in such a short time. I did gain weight but kept loosing inches. I stopped weighing myself and only keep track of my measurements and take pictures every 3 weeks. The site is very informative. There are weight lifting threads on MFP where women post pics and give very helpful advice. I will post the names of the sites tomorrow.

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Janetr, yes, you don't have to ask. Prayers for you, your sister and brother in law and all the caregivers. As for you quoting the Bible verse, I firmly believe and hold tight to that promise it gives me. But it sure doesn't make it any easier going through the process though. You now he is dying and you all are grieving. Just remember you, well us, are all human and we grieve. Hold on tight to those wonderful memories you made last Christmas. As for calling your sister, I know if I was sick or my husband was so sick, I would want to hear my sister's voice even if I felt crappy. We need that personal touch. If you don't feel you can, check with the person who sent you the last update and see who the one person is that you can consistently call. We feel your pain.

Sylvia, you are a hoot. What, no pictures like we got from Pip? Not of the innapropriate touching but of you modeling the swim suit.

Allison, hate to ask you this but do you have a lawyer? You need protection for yourself financially.

Heather, you are right. You need to put your listening cap on.

Toni, Gayle Mn and MN Margaret, glad you guys had such a good time. And yes, we need pictures!

Toni, ouch! That would hurt, but would help! But you don't need utensils to drink a milkshake, eat fried chicken, hot dog, pizza or ribs!

JoHopkins, welcome. I know a Joe Hopkins, very fine man and extremely accomplished musician both piano and voice. He sings in several opera companies including in Italy. He was the music minister of our church for many years.

Pip, loved the reflection of you in the sunglasses that Floyd has on.

Mary Mn, WOW!!!!! What a change. Girl you have some sexy legs. And that abdomen, I was going to ask how you did it and then I read how you did it. In those white short shorts and the shirt that has the stars on it you look like a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

Nancy, so sorry your continued problems getting that washer fixed. Get to thinking about the money you are going to ask for from the claims department. It's not just the clothes, it's the frustration and all the calls, lost sleep, headache, tears, everything.

Katla, in the news story we got here in Indiana it said it was an alligator.

Our tree guy and his crew got here about 8:30, took about 90 minutes off for lunch then worked a couple more hours. It wasn't raining hard but just a very steady drizzle all day and he knew how worried Charlie was about him getting the truck with the crane in the yard to get the main part of the huge tree trunk out so they left and will more than likely come back Monday since this kind of weather is predicted tomorrow again. But all the branches that had any leaves on them are gone so that means that loud chipper is gone! When they were done they used a leaf blower on our yard and driveway. It has been a long time since our driveway has looked as nice as it looks now. Then we had a painting estimate guy arrive just minutes after the tree guy left. He gave us a much lower estimate. He wondered why the other two estimates were so high since it is only 2 gables, soffits, trim including shutters and guttering that we need done. He is also a carpenter and would build a one step railing for the step onto the porch.

Saturday, my sister's son has invited us for a sending off to college cookout for his only child. He is going to a college in South Carolina. Can't remember the name, something about Coastal. He will be gone until a very short trip for Christmas and then will take classes during summer so he can finish two degrees. My sister has two children. She is the one who says she has two 'only' childs because they are so far apart in age. 8 years apart??????? Her daughter met a guy from Arkansas and comes up here about twice a year. She is deathly afraid of seeing a GYN doctor so they have vowed they will never have children. She is 35 years old so I doubt she will. So she only has the one grand child and now he is off to college in a week and will be home very little.

OK, I hope this works. I will try to show you my before and after pictures, but they aren't of a sexy body, they are of my house just getting the bushes out. Well it didn't work for the after. I will have to work on that. Here's the before.

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    o4t1651jmul0.jpg
    Here's the before

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    morning friends~
    i can barely move..did some strength training with the personal trainer yesterday and will take a day off from the gym.
    going to check out that strongfit 5x5 as I have joined a gym ,i would much rather lose inches and get lean muscle than running on a treadmill.
    well I talked with Tom last night when he got home, he said he isnt going to Watkins Glen this weekend and wants to do something with me this weekend.
    I also told him .. I would not harass him about our relationship, let him deal with what he needs to and be hear to listen and support him.. and he stopped in his tracks,he said why would you do that..
    because if this marriage is supposed to work it will, and I cant force you to do something you dont feel. so like I said I let go, and let God..
    Joyce~ no I dont have a lawyer.. if it comes down to it will try to go through this with arbitration.
    could possibly going up to the cottage tomorrow.. for the weekend
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited August 2015
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Lisa from West Texas – My airplane reading for the flight out to Seattle was “This Little Pig”. It was an enjoyable read and I look forward to the next book with Flak in it. “She’s Thinking Out Loud” was the light reading for the return trip home. Laugh out loud funny in places. Fortunately I had friendly seatmates who didn’t mind the maniacal giggling. I would love to meet you in person so that I can hear your voice when I read the next 2 books. As it is, I have a “Lisa” voice in my head as I read and I’m plain nosy to discover if it matches reality.

Mia in MI - what a truly amazing thing to say--every author wants to trigger emotion, and that's particularly true with "She's Thinking Out Loud." For the ones who don't know, "Pig," is the mystery I published on Amazon early in the summer, and I'm a couple chapters into writing the sequel, but it's on pause until I can get this restaurant back on track.

"Thinking Out Loud," is the name of my weekly newspaper column, also on summer hiatus while one of my writer's workshop buddies gets a chance to publish under her name and pic in the paper. The book (also on Amazon, search for Lisa C Hannon) has 50 or so of my best columns from the last decade. I'm so pleased that it made you laugh, Mia! And my daughter, nieces and nephews tell me they "hear" my voice when they're reading so much that it can be distracting. DD said it was particularly odd when the six-foot-plus fire chief was "talking" in her five-foot-nothing mom's voice. :wink:

At the restaurant--the troubles continued yesterday... the head cook staggered in looking like death warmed over yesterday morning, with a note from the hospital saying he was on bed rest for the day. He's diabetic (a lot of cooks/chefs are) and when his doctor tested him Weds. morning, his sugar was over 400. Sent him straight to the emergency room. He had an infection, as well, probably part of what was driving the sugar issues, so they put him on IV antibiotics, got his sugar down and finally sent him home. He's supposed to be back to work tonight, and I'm hoping he is - Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday lunch are our biggest rush times, and I'm not sure the prep cook that I promoted Monday is capable of handling that big a rush.

My newest prep cook/dishwasher, who I was also looking at speculatively for possibly getting him up on the line, as we need a floating cook who can step into days off, etc., was a no-call, no-show yesterday. Automatic termination, unfortunately. The only way it wouldn't be is if he's actually unconscious in the hospital. Doubtful. Young ones so seldom seem to have any concept that their actions affect others--and in a small restaurant, one absence rolls all the way through the whole joint. His defection was the first one I've taken personally--I hired him, I wanted him to succeed, and he had all the right ingredients. Except one--and it's one I can't live without as a manager.

The combination of all the above had me out prepping french fries--shoving potatoes through one of the old plunger fry cutters (my right arm's still sore) to give the cooks at least a little help. After about 50 pounds of that, the drain plugged up unexpectedly--they have to go through two rinses after cutting, then sit in a water bath in the cooler for a few hours. I turned around and looked behind me, and I'd flooded the prep area. It was just the final straw. When I asked the second line cook, who's about six foot five, and massive, to get the potato boxes off the floor (prep cook's job, but I wasn't lifting six fifty-pound boxes onto a rack) to get them out of the flood waters, he got PO'd, threw them up there like they were marshmallows and stomped back in the kitchen. I had bent down to clear out the floor drain, didn't think to use a stick or something, and cut my finger, so I'm standing there dripping blood, literally, while he shows his *kitten*.

I lost it. Three weeks of 12-16 hours days, four hours sleep a night at best, driving an hour each way, people quitting, people not showing up for work and not calling, people landing in the hospital, people's families dying, and a truly useless, surly server that, when given the choice of "quit or be fired," her reaction was, "Well, when do I get to come back to work?" And on top of that, poorly maintained infrastructure like drains that plug up at the slightest excuse.

I was cussing at the top of my lungs in the middle of the kitchen, I kid you not. My mama would have washed my mouth out with soap. And, when I'm frustrated and at the end of my rope, I also cry. Which ticks me off even further. By the time I was done falling out of my proverbial tree, my morning dishwasher, Nena, who I wish I could clone, was hugging my neck and telling me it was going to be OK in Spanish. Such a sweetheart. The second cook and I made it up after a couple hours of silence... and found out he wasn't mad about the request to rack the potatoes, but the no-call-no-show was a personal friend and an in-law who he recommended for the job, and he was really upset with him.

The tears (and the cussing, most likely,) made me feel one heck of a lot better today. That, and I slept from 8:30 pm last night to midnight, got up and took a benadryl, and back in bed until a bit after four. Seven and a half hours sleep is more than I've gotten since my first weekend, and it's healed a few things up as well.

Off to the showers--got an assistant crew chief in which has put my crew chief on notice that she needs to start taking on more of my responsibilities, so I'm meeting her at the restaurant early to start training her. When she can take on the vast majority of the day-to-day stuff, I can get moving on the rest of what I need to accomplish in the next eight weeks--getting the inventory systems working with the POS system to deal with discounts, gift cards, and the rest of the advertising and specials that the owners want to get going. Getting recipes costed so we know what per-plate profit actually is, and so on and so on. And, when she gets moving on the day-to-day stuff, I can promote her to assistant manager, as well.

Did get to read everything - hugs to all of you... love hearing about your lives. Sorry this was long! Y'all are the only place I can tell all the truths that I need to, and you're a gift of no small proportions.

Oh, and I lost another pound. :smile: My original goal was to weigh less than my husband--but he's been working in 100 degree plus heat for weeks, and the combination of that and not drinking beer for a couple weeks dropped him from 175 to 170. (insert bad word). I'm glad for him, really I am! As for me, I'm not exercising per se, don't have the energy to run for miles and then work on my feet most of the day. I am, however getting five miles or more of steps in every day, just keeping things under control at the restaurant, and pretty much surviving on protein bars, string cheese and bananas. There's seldom time to do more than just snag something while I'm at my desk for a few moments.

But, I'm smiling this morning--and that will make people feel better, too. They're quite sensitive to my moods, I've found, so I try to stay on an even keel, other than yesterday's obvious exception. I proved I was human, but my equilibrium is back.

Lisa in 100-degrees-plus West Texas

45970499.png
  • cd_va
    cd_va Posts: 31 Member
    Lisa, what a strong woman, to deal with so much and so many people. *hugs* Hoping things are better, and you find good, steady people to hire.

Mary, the pictures are lovely. I liked the horse jumping pic, too.

I have one more day without a car, and then I'll have DH's pickup for the weekend while he drives DD's now-fixed car back to trade for mine (she's been driving mine while hers was in the shop). I'm working this weekend or I'd head back home myself.

My entire schedule was "off" this week, something I don't deal well with at all.

I've been eating healthy all week, along with walking, and had time for a kettlebell workout this morning.

Wishing you all a healthy and fantastic Friday!

Colleen in Virginia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Looks like my friend with cancer IS coming next week. Hope so. :love:

Good news on DS#1, who I haven't been able to contact for a while. He replied to a text last night and seems to be quite perky. I have been very worried about him. (He has had severe depression for a couple of years) Relief for me, but still no news on when/if he is coming to visit.

I have been told that my legacy is awaiting bank transfer from the solicitor. No sign of it in my account yet. I keep checking. :ohwell:

DH spent all day yesterday listening to the Ashes on the radio. He was ecstatic as England bowled Australia out for 60. That is incredible! Unfortunately all that adrenalin flowing round his system all day made him have some panic attacks in the night. Last time it happened it was England collapsing. His poor amygdala can't take it. :laugh: He had a similar collapse when we first met and later when he asked me to marry him. I told him what he needs to do is listen to the cricket/football while going for a walk to disperse the hormones flooding his system. It wasn't as bad as last time and I had already moved rooms as I wasn't sleeping because of hip pain.

Love to all, Heather UK

27681614.png
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I am here!! Started yesterday to post picture of my new granddaughter and MFP was not working for me. Not sure if anyone else had the problem - it was just the community section...

Anyway.. off to the city this morning..

later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2015
    Happy Friday everyone!

I wish there was a "LIKE" button on this forum! :) I would be "LIKING" up this place left and right! You are all my inspiration and I am so glad you are in my life now. My husband doesn't "believe" in social media and all this forum "stuff" but he did admit that he sees a change in my attitude about sticking with this way of life and a commitment to the process/journey and will attribute part of it to my reaching out on here for your support. Big step for him.

Busy day today as I prepare for a 4 day "vacay". We are travelling to Stauton, VA to check out the area and see a few homes with a realtor. His job offer is at a much lower pay than he currently receives and he wants to make sure we can get a home and live in that area on a different than we are used to salary. Then we are going down to Radford, VA as he has a 2-day interview for a job there. Radford University is putting us up in a Bed and Breakfast so I will be in comfort while he is away doing his biz. Funny thing is that staying at a B&B was on my bucket list and my husband is acting like it was his "gift" to me! I'll take it anyway I can. I will explore the area while he is interviewing.

So my concerns over the 4 days is getting in my exercise and sticking to my eating plan while having to eat out for 4 days. I think I can do this with minimal damage and I am going in with a good attitude. Typically during/after a routine interrupting period I would derail from my starting purpose so this will be a big test for me. Sometimes a break in routine is okay and actually good for the body?! :)

Healing prayers for all that have challenging issues in their lives and kudos to all that are celebrating victories!

Cheri in sunny NE Ohio

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Good morning everyone! We stopped in Lebanon, Tennessee last night and got a king suite, with two rooms! I was drafting in the "living room" while hubby was watching tv in the bedroom. I could get spoiled like this. This morning I did a little more drafting. Hubby is in the shower, then it's my turn. We bring our own breakfast cereal so we will go down to the lobby later and see if they have skim milk. I hope they have hard boiled eggs, too, not not many places do. I eat shredded wheat because it has no sodium.

We stayed up late last night watching the last Daily Show (boo hoo) so this morning I'm dragging. I forgot to pack pj's, so last night slept in a t-shirt and my yoga pants. Hubby thinks I did it on purpose so I could get new ones. Not true, but BONUS!

My turn, gotta go! I hope you all have a great day!

PIP, take care of yourself! I hope you feel better.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Lisa ((((Hugs)))) The restaurant did not get in that shape in day. Look at all the wonderful progress you have made in such a short time. Kudos.

Joyce no pictures this time. We got too busy chatting.

Mary wow. Your hard work shows. Proud of you. Let us know more about when you'll be down in August. I wound love to see more pictures of your new home, too.

Pip continue to send healing thoughts.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    8t0q549ou9sf.jpg
    Thanks to Janet OKC and DJ for the kind words! I looked up the calorie count of fingernails and this is the result. Low-cal, but I cannot grow them fast enough to count on them as a food source.

Just feeling low for a variety of reasons. Had a nice few days' off, then came back to all the same old problems: not enjoying my job, house a mess due to workmen and no place calm and quiet to just be, not being able to structure my time to de-stress enough, not knowing how to handle the fact that I have not seen DD2 for close to 2 years and see no end in sight, at loose ends with my life in general. Don't know where to plan to live or what to do with the rest of my life. And I do not want to run way and join the circus and watch the animals being mistreated! But running away in general sounds awfully tempting.

Just one of those periods when I have a hard time figuring out how to salvage a future out of the wreckage of the past. My MFP shows that I have 7 pounds to go, but that is because I set mini-goals instead of one big one. To get to the upper range of the non-overweight state I need to lose 21 pounds more. I will be at wedding anniversary No. 40 in January and would like to get as close as possible to my wedding weight, which would be an additional 10 pounds, but honestly I would be thrilled with the 21. Not sure is that is realistic for January, but as long as that scale can trend down rather than up it is a victory, as this is the only thing that keeps me going lately some days.

I know I might sound whiny to the people who are dealing with severe health issues and loss of loved ones. But emotionally I feel like I have been grieving for a couple of years for a loved one and have been casting about desperately for a way to focus on other things. Some days work better than others, and I have a feeling you all know what I mean about that. There are so many struggles amongst us, and I am amazed at you all. We all need a group hug!

Betty in WNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Mary: Thanks for sharing the picture of your DD jumping for the first time. Jumping is something I've never done. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I am in awe of your competence in the restaurant business in addition to writing. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm happy to hear that you heard from DS#1. That is very good news. Your DH seems to be emotionally invested in his sports teams. He's lucky to have your kindness and understanding when his adrenalin gets the better of him. :heart:

Cheri: Good luck during your trip with DH. I'll bet you will be able to find ways to manage your food and have a little fun. Good luck to him in the job hunt, too. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I hope you were able to rest last night. Restful sleep is vital for healing. :yawn: :kissing_heart:

Yoga this morning, and riding lesson this afternoon. Wahoo! I'm starting to get over the bad news about worsening osteopenia to the point that I'm finding pleasure in life again. I'm still working through the emotions and trying to figure out a strategy to improve my situation. I am my own science experiment but I haven't figured out how to assess results. Meanwhile, I have good things planned for today and the rest of the weekend.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • tuliplor
    tuliplor Posts: 51 Member
    Good morning my friends!! I'm almost in shock.. but I've lost two more pounds. That is 13 in all!!!! WHOOP WHOOP!! I have also made the decision that I'm not going to go CRAZY eating at Disney World. I will have dessert, or a special meal, but I'm not going to overdo it!! I will be walking like crazy anyway! Do any of you have ideas for healthy snacks I can take in my purse. I thought about nuts, raisins, a low carb bar... ?? What do you think?
    Thanks so much my friends!!! Lori from WV