August 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member

exercise.png

:/ I just realized that my dates started with 3 instead of 8. What was I thinking?

8/1--3.36 miles
    8/2--rest day
    8/3--3.7 miles
    8/4--Strong Curves A
    8/5--4.13 miles
    8/6--Strong Curves B
    8/7--unexpected rest day
    8/8--7.18 miles
    8/9--scheduled rest day
    8/10-4.05 miles
  • Mopar88
    Mopar88 Posts: 54 Member
    exercise.png
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Congratulations to everyone who ran races! Happy Birthday, @skippygirlsmom!
  • siobhanbyrne600
    siobhanbyrne600 Posts: 3 Member
    So far I havpe done 20 miles
    8/4/15- 3 miles
    8/5/15- 4miles
    8/6/15- 3miles
    8/7/15 - 3miles
    8/8/15 - 4miles
    8/10/15 - 3miles
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    5km done yesterday
    27/80 complete :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    7/8/15 - 2 miles
    8/8/15 - 3 miles
    10/8/15 1.75 miles

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Happy birthday @skippygirlsmom! Hope it is a great one.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    8/1 - 13.1
    8/8 - 6.02
    8/9 - 3.38

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    @Nettiejb Sounds like a great 10 mile run, well done :)

@WhatMeRunning 20 miles at that heat, an that early in the morning? That sounds really tough to me, you have my full respect!

@shell1005 all the best for those hamstrings, I hope the rest will cure the tightness quickly.

@aarar Sorry to hear about the scraped knees - and especially about the wasps stings! That's no fun at all - I can still remember the one time where I was playing in the forest as a kid, and one of my friends stepped into a wasp nest. They chased us for quite a long distance, and each of us got multiple stings that hurt much more that those of "city wasps", in my memory. I hope yours aren't as horribly painful as the ones I remember!

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday! I wish you a worderful new year with lots of awesome runs and free of injuries :)

--

My sunday long run was supposed to be 14 km, but it was just way too hot for me!
    I cut it short to 12.2 km, and still had to take some walking breaks.
    Actually, during these walking breaks I had a fun meeting with another runner yesterday on a bit of road with alternating stretches of sunshine and shade: I would walk in the shadow and she would run past me, then she walked in the sun and I ran past her. That actually happened twice, until we were stopped at the same traffic light and she made a comment about that. Apparently, her reasoning was that "in the sun, it's to hot to run; in the shadows I am fine", while my line of thought was "if I walk in the shadow, I have more time to cool down, and then run in the sun to get to the next shadow bit as fast as possible".
    Would would you guys do? Or is everyone's answer going to be "I'm a runner, I don't let a little sun force me to walk"? B)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Actually, during these walking breaks I had a fun meeting with another runner yesterday on a bit of road with alternating stretches of sunshine and shade: I would walk in the shadow and she would run past me, then she walked in the sun and I ran past her. That actually happened twice, until we were stopped at the same traffic light and she made a comment about that. Apparently, her reasoning was that "in the sun, it's to hot to run; in the shadows I am fine", while my line of thought was "if I walk in the shadow, I have more time to cool down, and then run in the sun to get to the next shadow bit as fast as possible".
    Would would you guys do? Or is everyone's answer going to be "I'm a runner, I don't let a little sun force me to walk"? B)
    I have actually planned some of my more recent morning routes to have more shade later in the run as the sun gets higher. So clearly my vote is more time in the shade!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    @Nettiejb Sounds like a great 10 mile run, well done :)

@WhatMeRunning 20 miles at that heat, an that early in the morning? That sounds really tough to me, you have my full respect!

@shell1005 all the best for those hamstrings, I hope the rest will cure the tightness quickly.

@aarar Sorry to hear about the scraped knees - and especially about the wasps stings! That's no fun at all - I can still remember the one time where I was playing in the forest as a kid, and one of my friends stepped into a wasp nest. They chased us for quite a long distance, and each of us got multiple stings that hurt much more that those of "city wasps", in my memory. I hope yours aren't as horribly painful as the ones I remember!

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday! I wish you a worderful new year with lots of awesome runs and free of injuries :)

--

My sunday long run was supposed to be 14 km, but it was just way too hot for me!
    I cut it short to 12.2 km, and still had to take some walking breaks.

HA- I try to not run when it's sunny out- I'm staunchly anti sun- but my policy is the less i stop (never) or walk (rare) the sooner I'm done.
    I want to be done.

I like running- so I can be done running- that's my favorite part of running (I'm only slightly sarcastic on that- I really do enjoy that feeling of exhaustion and sweat and just being done).

So- neither? - but if I was walk running- I'd run in the sun. No way I'd be walking in the sun- the less time in the sun the better!!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Happiest of birthdays!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Ran 2 miles yesterday and 2 miles today, so I'm back on the case :) I'm hoping to do another 2 miles on Wednesday, 2 miles on Friday and then a 3 miler on Sunday. It's driving me mad to take it this easy but I'm determined to get back to my former self without injury!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I ran the first 8 miles on my own at a 9:13 pace and then met up with 6 people from my running group who did the next 10 with me. I was really grateful for their company because I definitely started crashing around mile 15/16. Managed to stick to a 9:33 pace for the second 10 and I would have paced probably closer to 10 without their motivation. Besides being tired from running 18 miles, my legs/knees/Achilles all feel pretty great, so I'm optimistic about my long weekly miles going forward! This is my longest run for a few weeks til I do 18 again in September, and it was definitely a good one! Perfect weather, good company, and so much G2 Gatorade in the fridge was waiting for me when I got home!

@kristinegift Running company is a double edge sword. They are awesome to keep you accountable and help you push it when you need it. They can also force you to push it too hard when sometimes you need to keep the pace down. But glad it worked out for you.

With all the calories you burned running 18 miles, why G2? You need the regular stuff to replace all that glycogen you lost. Glad your achilles is feeling pretty good.

I know what you mean about the double edged sword! Luckily, the Sunday group is usually solid for 9-10 min paces, and I brace myself for quicker running on Thursday group nights and consider that my one speedy run of the week. Those folks love to push the pace!

I drink G2 after a run because it's lower in sugar and doesn't give me a stomach ache, but it still has plenty of good stuff. I also eat pretty quickly after a run and make up lots of calories/nutrients/etc. that way. I was having stomach issues after runs, and switching back to blue G2 instead of raspberry lemonade flavor seemed to do the trick, so some G2 and a protein bar and/or some eggs, and I'm good to go til it's an appropriate time to begin eating pizza all day :)

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    After nearly a month and a half of illness/traveling I was able to get 3.28k today. There's no way I'll hit my goal of 80-100k. Can I downsize to 50K? So 3.28 out of 50k for august. Hopefully I'll be able to start picking uip my milage again.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited August 2015

@_nikkiwolf_ I hear ya, they were pretty painful! Every time I took a deep breath it sent a searing pain through my stomach for the first half hour or so. That made running interesting lol. I read that when they sting you, they release a pheromone that attracts others to attack which might explain why you guys were chased. Fun times! lol
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 - 3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)
    8/6 - 3.5mi. Got up at 6:30am on my day off for a beautiful cool morning run with Neeko. Kept my average pace at 13:14 which seems to be ideal for me but I will admit my legs were tired when I was done. That hasn't happened in a while but it was a great feeling.
    8/8 - 2mi. Over did it on strength training yesterday and pushed myself to do 3 reps of 12 leg presses at 210 lbs so my legs were dead today. Even Neeko was confused when I turned around early LOL. I think I am going to try again tomorrow depending on how crazy work is and I am not sure if I want to push for 4 miles since I just stepped up to 3.5 last week. I guess I will see how I feel.
    8/10 - 1.5mi. Well yesterday didn't happen, work was insane and today it started raining and thundering when I started. Neeko and I kept going until we saw lighting but got in a fast comfortable mile and a half. No running tomorrow, I have a session with my trainer so I will try again on Wednesday for 4 miles.

Completed : 14.1mi
    To go : 20.9 mi
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    4km today - August 10

+ 27km

31/80km done
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I had a great day.

During the week I run earlier enough that there isn't any sun for the most part. The greenway we run on the weekends it's 2 miles roundtrip one way and that is about 90% in the sun, it's about 4 miles round trip the other way about 95% in the shade. We run the 2 miles first then the 4 then back to where the 2 miles goes into the sun and back towards the 4 and back and forth. Rarely do we had back out into the sun. When your back is to the sun it's not bad, when you are facing the sun it can be brutal.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    8/1 3.2 @ 10:55 (race)
    8/2 5.0 @ 20:00 (hiking)
    8/3 4.5 @ 18:00 (walk with kids and dog)
    8/4 4.0 @ 11:30 (treadmill) and strength training
    8/5 Amusement Park Day
    8/6 3.0 @ 12:00 and strength training
    8/7 Aquarium Day

8/8 4.0 @ 15:00 (my first technical trail)
    8/9 5.0 @ 12:00 on my normal trail--felt a little sluggish
    8/10 4.5 @ 12:00 on a new trail near my house. Other than the part where I fell in at the "fair weather crossing", it was a good run, lol! I'll go faster now that I know where I'm actually going. I'm always a little tentative when I'm not sure how to get home!

33.25/100

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom Happy Birthday!