What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• corlissr3
    corlissr3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How those other women that were nice to you are suddenly mean to you because you lose all your extra weight.
    How weird my cheeks feel after losing all said weight
  • corlissr3
    corlissr3 Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How some people think the only way you took the weight off is if you are sick or have a eating disorder and those that constantly ask if you are sick
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It takes a LONG time for your mind to catch up with your mirror.

100% this! That when I look down I still see the same old fat thighs and constantly wonder where the 23 pounds I've lost has been taken from!
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You will be hungry pretty much all the time unless you have a cheat day.

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

I totally agree!! It is not a every meal battle for me but it is a battle at least once a day I have to push through. I am thankful for the little victories and try not to shame myself if I lose. We are human !!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

This might be true for you but it is not true for everyone. Some days are like this for me, however most are not.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Same for me.
    Only time I'm not hungry is right after a meal.
    I have short, medium and long term goals and I WILL meet them.

• misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I must be weird because I'm finding that I'm not constantly starving all the time. When I was eating crappy food and sugary drinks I was always hungry. And grumpy and bloated.
    [/quote]

DITTO!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

This might be true for you but it is not true for everyone. Some days are like this for me, however most are not.

Agreed. Most days I'm not hungry. When I am hungry, I know that it's because I didn't eat enough the night before. This is the reason I eat a large portion of my calories at night. Meal timing might not matter for losing weight, but it sure makes it easier for me hunger-wise if I eat enough at night.

Yes, I agree. If I have an abnormally low calorie day (due to being busy or lack of appetite), the next day I'm typically starving. Also, if I don't eat enough of my exercise calories, sometimes I'm hungry. Otherwise, I'm usually satisfied (so long as I'm eating nutrient-rich, high-volume foods; junk food leaves me hungry unless I eat too many calories).
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »

I must be weird because I'm finding that I'm not constantly starving all the time. When I was eating crappy food and sugary drinks I was always hungry. And grumpy and bloated.

sugar and crap food which quickly converts to it makes your body release insulin which tells you that you are hungry.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Shopping is no fun now.

My body has completely changed and I have no idea what looks good on me anymore. The styles I used to go for now look ridiculous. I get completely overwhelmed and end up leaving with nothing.

I'm getting better at being more adventurous with my choices and just trying stuff on, but its stressful instead of fun.

I agree, although it's getting better. I've started taking trips to the stores where I have no intention of buying anything. It's just a see what size I wear and what looks good on me trip. I take pictures in the dressing room. It's helped relieve the stress because I don't feel I have to make a decision. I'm just seeing the options.
    justrollme wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Part of it for me is wanting to get wear out of clothes in that window of opportunity between them being too small and too big. I am trying to maximise the benefit of the Goldilocks period.

'Goldilocks Period' That is so perfect. I'm using that. :)

I just thought the exact same thing! :smiley:

Last week I was visiting with family, and I brought along a couple of skirts and dresses, never even considering that they'd be too big. One dress and one skirt are not save-able without a lot of tailoring, the other dress I shrank (it's so nice to throw things in the dryer and hope they come out smaller!) and the other skirt had a drawstring. Next time I'm away, I'll have to pack a lot more carefully. Looking forward to the next closet overhaul!

I'm in a great spot because my style was always for smaller girls and when I was big, I could never wear the kind of stuff I wanted to.. Asian fashion has always been something I've dreamed of wearing and I just got back from San Francisco and visited Chinatown and jtown.. I fit into and bought things that were at one time a complete impossibility.. I never got past the window shopping phase before, and last week, everything I tried on, fit.. It was truly a dream come true for me.. A Long awaited one!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't think I did that right lol.. I said the second quote lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

sugar and crap food which quickly converts to it makes your body release insulin which tells you that you are hungry.

Insulin doesn't tell your body that you are hungry. Insulin removes glucose from the blood and converts it to useable energy for use (by muscles and organs) and storage (mostly as fat, though glucose also goes to replenish glycogen stores).

Also, nothing makes my body release insulin. I have type 1 diabetes, so my body is incapable of producing insulin. I take artificial insulin.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nobody tells you that if you have very light skin, the veins will show more and more as you lose weight.

The body creates extra blood vessels to oxygenate the fatty tissue, when that fatty tissue diminishes, there are a lot of veins near the skin. It doesn't really bother me, and it isn't ugly, but it is noticeable. :)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    mcornall88 wrote: »

Insulin doesn't tell your body that you are hungry. Insulin removes glucose from the blood and converts it to useable energy for use (by muscles and organs) and storage (mostly as fat, though glucose also goes to replenish glycogen stores).

Also, nothing makes my body release insulin. I have type 1 diabetes, so my body is incapable of producing insulin. I take artificial insulin.

Mostly right, however high blood sugar does trigger the release of insulin into the bloodstream by stimulating your pancreas, this converts sugars to glycogen for storage as fats in the liver and fatty tissue (it doesn't change it to a "usable energy" as you say, as glucose is already usable there would be no point).

"Useable energy" for muscles and organs. Without insulin, you cannot use glucose from the blood as an energy source. The glucose just accumulates in blood, causing high BG. High BG puts extra strain on kidneys of course, but the real issue with high BG is a lack of energy.

In laymen's terms, for type 1 diabetics who are not taking insulin, this is what begins the process that kills them. In order to access energy, you make ketones to break down fat for energy... type 1's (and some extreme cases of type 2) can go into a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), where they are subsisting on a fat energy. Someone experiencing this will feel very lethargic and eventually the body will start shutting things down. Next comes a coma and then death. Also, high levels of ketones are toxic and cause a pH imbalance... your kidneys are not only stressed because of high BG, but also trying to clean up ketones. It is common to experience frequent urination, vomiting, and extreme thirst.

I have first-hand experience with serious DKA, during which I lost around 50 lbs. in about a day (towards the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd day without insulin). While a majority of that was water weight that I regained within a week after stabilizing, I lost a significant amount of fat because that is the only thing that my body could use for energy without insulin. So insulin is absolutely necessary to get energy to muscles and organs.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How much more uncomfortable camping is, even with a bedding roll, without a built in fat cushion.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!