DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Society made me name myself after a fictional serial killer, just like it is responsible for all of my problems. You still haven't actually explained your theory behind this.

A number of explanations exist, these are not my theories. You can look into "causes of obesity" if you're at all interested.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The head of my weight loss clinic has weighed in on the comments made on this video.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2213280/dear-fat-shamers-dispelling-obesity-myths/

While reading this, my first thought was that it comes across professional and sensible. However, I also thought that this reply is made by someone who is making his living by treating those who are suffering with obesity, and perhaps that is why I also had a sense that all of his counter-points seem (to me) to suggest an absolution of obese people from all personal contributions and responsibilities, regarding their health and weight.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that this is probably my perception due to my own experiences with very close (and very important) family members who are obese, unhealthy, medicated, suffering, yet cling to articles such as this one. The family member I am thinking of, after having a heart-to-heart talk about fears and worries about his health (which is diet-related) has actually handed me print articles of this exact nature, and said, "See? I can't help it." But yes, he can help it. He won't help it, and it is killing him, which will absolutely tear apart our family.

I'm not supporting fat-shaming (or any kind of shaming, for that matter) in any way, however, I think swinging too far towards enabling is just as detrimental.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    The head of my weight loss clinic has weighed in on the comments made on this video.

While reading this, my first thought was that it comes across professional and sensible. However, I also thought that this reply is made by someone who is making his living by treating those who are suffering with obesity, and perhaps that is why I also had a sense that all of his counter-points seem (to me) to suggest an absolution of obese people from all personal contributions and responsibilities, regarding their health and weight.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that this is probably my perception due to my own experiences with very close (and very important) family members who are obese, unhealthy, medicated, suffering, yet cling to articles such as this one. The family member I am thinking of, after having a heart-to-heart talk about fears and worries about his health (which is diet-related) has actually handed me print articles of this exact nature, and said, "See? I can't help it." But yes, he can help it. He won't help it, and it is killing him, which will absolutely tear apart our family.

I'm not supporting fat-shaming (or any kind of shaming, for that matter) in any way, however, I think swinging too far towards enabling is just as detrimental.

I read the article and thought the exact same thing! I was very confused with the comparison to depression, didn't jive with me personally. Anyway you said everything I was thinking much better than I ever could have.
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the info that's fine.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

I agree that the statements in under "Myth #1" seemed a little light on the personal responsibility side, but I'm hoping it was from the cutting out of certain things from the interview to make it coherent. I can easily see where someone would make that argument, but I think he was getting at that it can be a little more complicated than eat less, move more when you're having to figure out something like thyroid levels, for instance.

Of course, this will be a minority of the general population, but worth noting, I think. But at the end of the day, after the thyroid levels and meds are figured out, it is eat less and move more!

• tomatoey
    Options

I'm not interested in educating a hostile 28 y/o man who named himself after a fictional serial killer. The information is out there, find it if you're curious.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I'm not interested in educating a hostile 28 y/o man who named himself after a fictional serial killer. The information is out there, find it if you're curious.

I'm just going to throw out there that Buffalo Bill was also the guy known for "Wild West" shows. So, not just a fictional serial killer.

• tomatoey
    Options
    Didn't realize i was so hostile, i'll ease it back. So to summarize you're right, i'm wrong and there's information out there somewhere on the internet that proves it you just don't want to show me? Sounds good, oh and are you a size 14?

I am 5'7" tall, 135 lbs, size 4-6 in mall stores.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I'm just going to throw out there that Buffalo Bill was also the guy known for "Wild West" shows. So, not just a fictional serial killer.

Yeah, I guess that's a possible inspiration. Doubt it
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This just got weird
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    How did this get derailed by you two into such a personal argument? Take it to personal messages or just stop.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    This just got weird

Lol oh yeah, he was fitting for a dress. I forgot that part of the movie. Oh well
  • tomatoey
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    How did this get derailed by you two into such a personal argument? Take it to personal messages or just stop.

I am sleep deprived and therefore bait-vulnerable today. Sorry
  • buffalobill41
    Options
    It was a debate about the causes of our obesity epidemic until you became overly concerned about my username. I just want to be educated on something i'm very wrong about but i am apparently not worthy of receiving that information.
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Meh. I'm not bothered. It's not like she is out threatening fat people, she just doesn't seem to like them. If someone doesn't like me because I'm fat, I don't care and neither should any of you. People like her have no idea what goes on in the lives of people who struggle with their weight, so I chalk this up to ignorance than anything else. Just ignore comments from people like her. If you don't let the negatively in, it can't hold you back from achieving your goals.

Also, shaming people who shame you, does not make you any better. Be the better person and get on with your life.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It was a debate about the causes of our obesity epidemic until you became overly concerned about my username. I just want to be educated on something i'm very wrong about but i am apparently not worthy of receiving that information.
    http://www.moviequotedb.com/movies/silence-of-the-lambs-the/quote_21331.html

In other words, NOPE
  • buffalobill41
    Options
    Yes I did pick my username off of Silence of the Lambs and made a joke reference to the movie, what is your point? Literally every other thing I said was debating your stance that it's harder to be not obese in modern society than it was in the past. And since I know you're wondering the 41 is for my idol, mulletted hoops god Dirk Nowitzki.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yes I did pick my username off of Silence of the Lambs and made a joke reference to the movie, what is your point? Literally every other thing I said was debating your stance that it's harder to be not obese in modern society than it was in the past. And since I know you're wondering the 41 is for my idol, mulletted hoops god Dirk Nowitzki.

Still nope
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    http://www.moviequotedb.com/movies/silence-of-the-lambs-the/quote_21331.html

In other words, NOPE

Okey dokey... moving on :wink: