DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Why was my comment flagged for abuse. I said I was grossed out by someone dipping a burger in a shake. To me just drink the shake with your burger don't dip it in the shake. I didn't say anything about her weight just her choice to dip her burger.

Because people don't understand how to use the flagging system properly and flag comments they don't like rather than flagging comments which actually are abusive or inappopriate.

That is what i figured, but if I did offend somebody by my comment, I would like to know why.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Why was my comment flagged for abuse. I said I was grossed out by someone dipping a burger in a shake. To me just drink the shake with your burger don't dip it in the shake. I didn't say anything about her weight just her choice to dip her burger.

IMO nothing met the criteria for a flag. You can contact the moderating staff and ask for it to be removed if you would like. I've found varying success, but PM seems to work better than requesting by way of reporting. YMMV.

It not so much that I got the flagged. I just wanted to know why. Although I think those are my first flags.

Maybe someone thought hamburger dipped in ice cream is good and didn't agree with you :)

Maybe you are right. That thought did cross my mind. For that I am truly sorry to all those that dip you burgers in milkshakes. I shouldn't judge people on their eating preferences.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Well said Morgaen, very good and to the point, NICELY said! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    <---- haven't watched any video.

You know what? It is harder for some people to lose weight. That's not an excuse. It means it will be a killer of a grind and constant vigilance to lose weight and keep it off. It still has to be done, it's still CICO, but give the person credit for knowing it is going to be very, very tough.

Shaming is proven to be ineffective. We don't rub dogs noses in it any more, now that we are aware how short their attention span is. They'll slink around in shame for sure, but abusing them won't change the behavior.

What is it with America and the shaming ads? I'm talking other things too, like drunk driving and smoking.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    You have the fastest internet in the frikkin world.
    That would be S. Korea if memory serves. The US is actually fairly middling in the internet speed rat race. Google it ! :wink:

I enjoyed your post, and I agree with the sentiment.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

You know what? It is harder for some people to lose weight. That's not an excuse. It means it will be a killer of a grind and constant vigilance to lose weight and keep it off. It still has to be done, it's still CICO, but give the person credit for knowing it is going to be very, very tough.

Shaming is proven to be ineffective. We don't rub dogs noses in it any more, now that we are aware how short their attention span is. They'll slink around in shame for sure, but abusing them won't change the behavior.

What is it with America and the shaming ads? I'm talking other things too, like drunk driving and smoking.

Shaming and being angry is all the rage. I'm just not sure why. I wish that being kind was the 'in' thing to do. I even wrote a book about it. :wink:
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    It not so much that I got the flagged. I just wanted to know why. Although I think those are my first flags.
    Now I have to go find your flagged post out of curiosity. :wink:

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    pinkys008 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I know I'm overweight I don't need anyone telling me. I lose weight for me, not because someone tells me I'm fat.

This!!!

Haha yeah.. that reminds me of my super obese past self when someone used to point out I was fat (and I was VERY fat) my usual reply used to be a cheerful "good to know you haven't gone blind yet". It was so entertaining watching people fumble around not knowing how to reply to that or to the fact that their comment didn't phase me one bit. Good times!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    Ah dang. There's a McDonald's over there. I know I'm 350 pounds, but they make some awesome burgers. yes my heart aches, yes I have high blood pressure, yes my ankles are swollen, yes I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, but who cares!! I can get two Whoppers for the price of one salad! So it's McDonalds fault for making burgers cheap and salads expensive! That's why I'm fat. Say what?? I can upgrade to a large for only a fifty cents!! Hell yeah!!

This isn't the right place to flaunt your thin privilege

McDonald's doesn't sell Whoppers!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

McDonald's doesn't sell Whoppers!

But they tell whoppers. I've never seen a Big Mac that even remotely resembles the ones on TV or print ads. Never.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Shaming and being angry is all the rage. I'm just not sure why. I wish that being kind was the 'in' thing to do. I even wrote a book about it. :wink:

I think it's the prevalence of social media. Everyone feels they have to outdo everyone else and post it for the world to see. Like having a whole nation of shock jocks.

Eventually it'll be so old hat that they'll have moved on to something else.*

*Don't correct me on this. I'd like hang on to my optimism as long as possible.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Its her opinion and she is entitled to it by the first amendment, just as you are entitled not to agree with her. Bashing someone for disagreeing with their beliefs is just as ugly as fat shaming.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Its her opinion and she is entitled to it by the first amendment, just as you are entitled not to agree with her. Bashing someone for disagreeing with their beliefs is just as ugly as fat shaming.

Ok?
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member

Ok?

Post shaming? Opinion shaming? Ummm. That's all I've got.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member

Ok?

Intelligent

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Ok?

Intelligent

;)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Bashing someone for disagreeing with their beliefs is just as ugly as fat shaming.

+1

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member

Half of your post is you trying to say why being overweight isn't your fault. Being born as a large baby doesn't make you 'destined' to be an overweight person. Neither does being denied sweets in your home. Making your own choices is entirely up to you, and none of that has anything to do with people shaming you for your weight. Those are two entirely different issues.

I said no such thing. Now you are reaching. I was a fat baby from a medical condition. I got fat in childhood because not only did I eat a full plate at dinner, I would then over consume a box of oreos or cake or whatever was around me because I have a sweet tooth. OVEREATING made me fat. Did you not read the remarks in parenthesis?

I simply said how I got fat and then said people bullying me for being fat did not miraculously make me suddenly become thin.

I read "diabetic mom.....birth weight 11 +.....destined to be big" nobody reaching there.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    noelitall wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Good.

I hope the whole thing wasn't done for publicity, though. That might even be worse than a crazy woman using fat-shaming to garner attention.

Aren't they the same thing?? And that's precisely why she made the video.

I think she meant publicity stunt for the movie she was involved in with. Considering it is essentially a movie about not fat shaming people.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was all a publicity stunt for the movie. The movie sounds like an After School Special from the 80's.

Yup. No one knew anything about this damn movie before. Well, how about now?