WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

7 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but until then, gonna take a pill now!

walker54 - my thoughts are with you and your son

annr - u r a smart shopper, congrats on your 1 lb loss!

dim4mom - it's not easy, it's just got to become a way of life. ALOT of days, i'm just not in the mood to go to the gym ESPECIALLY ride my bike there and NOT get paid for it to boot! if u keep doing it as a "routine, just another part of the day", you'll get in the groove. i do my workout in the morning, just to get it over with and back in the day when i used to workout 2x a day, if i had enough energy or time, i would then go back after work BUT if i didn't, at least i did it in the morning. hang in there... i also tend to eat the same thing over and over, so i don't have to THINK about what i am going to eat. i love what i eat so i don't get bored with it (u would think i would tho). hang in there.

janetr - we'll be cut up right around the same time, me on the 24th, u on the 29th!! awwwww, your doc must have gotten the memo!

terririchard - i've been to europe twice but never got to ireland. i have been thinking about that place for another trip if i get to go again, if for nothing else but the scenery and to hear that accent!!!! congrats on your 39lb loss!

relater2000 - lolol - i know what you mean about licking your plate clean.... i come from an old strict mentality, you MUST clean your plate, eat everything on it, whether you like it or not. It's hard to get out of that habit, thats why i tend to put a normal portion on my plate.

miriamwithcats - wtg on leaving the ice cream alone!!

mparker1216 - love the view! would love to park our airstream right there!

laurelinaz - i'm guessing you had to drain the main vein due to all that h20!

granmallie- wowzers on the kitchen!

this will be my last weekend to go buy button up shirts at the local goodwill, go to targhetto (aka target) to find a bra that snaps in the front and a sports bra that zips in the front. I HAVE to do that this weekend, this will be the only chance.

check-in is at 6:30am, procedure at 8am, should be home by 11 or 12noon! if I won't be knocked out, I am going to see if the can let me watch what they'll be doing.

I ran into this guy that was on the train and we started talking (he was a bike rider too) and he had shoulder surgery and was training for a race. he was saying when he was on his bike trainer at home wearing his sling that it got to stink really bad due to the sweat even after putting it in the washer! SOOOOOOOOOO I am going to ask the doc to give me 2 of them, one when I am riding, the other so I won't smell! glad I ran into him, I wouldn't have thought of that.

type to ya later.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip - I thot about that too. I'm sure my rehab will be much easier than yours. Do you know how long you will have to stay in the hospital. Duh just read your entire post. I will be admitted Tuesday and come home Friday. That's what I hate the most. Last time I was over dosed on pain meds and hallucinating even. Since the bariatric surgery I can hardly even take Tylenol.

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    oh boy~ this is not going well, countertop part doesnt fit, and they knew nothing about the sink :# Tom is going to have a fit.. guy trying to polish it out now,but probably going to make it worse.. guy coming later to paint front and back doors
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for yesterday: don't know if I posted it or not, duh, not that it REALLY matters -

ride hm 2 gym- 12.41min, 13.8amph, 2.9mi = 114c
    Spin- 40min 87r 89w 9-13g 17.1mi = 341c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.18min, 12.8amph, 1.3mi = 63c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.57min, 9.6amph, 2.5mi = 167c
    total cal 687

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

Sylvia
    – I am hoping and praying with all my heart that DGD told you and her Dad everything already, and that bad things ended sooner rather than later. Please give her a hug from me.

DJ
    – Thanks! The wagon was good to me, and I finally got under the 207 mark. When I got up last night for my hot flash, I paced slowly around the livingroom until it passed then returned to bed. I did spend a few seconds looking into the fridge and pantry, but told myself “no, you are just bored and hot, not hungry, besides there is nothing in here that you want”. I also paced around my office this morning, because I couldn’t find the right radio station in the fitness center for winning the Garth Brooks tickets, which I still have NOT won. Onederland is in my sights ! ! !

Polly – Hugs and Prayers for you and your son ! ! !

Becca – Congrats on your loss. Keep it up ! ! !

Dlm4mom – You are not alone at all. I hate exercise, and I find almost anything painful, but I do it anyway, because “a body in motion tends to stay in motion”. I also sabotage my efforts in the evening and on weekend. I have to hide (or have DS or DH put out of my vision and reach) anything I don’t consider healthy, because I will search around and eat something I barely like if I am upset, bored, etc. Last night I combined soft tofu and a banana for my pre-bedtime snack. Healthy, filling, nutritious, and a little sweet, so it felt like a treat. Keep coming back here, and you will find what you are looking for, and get tons of support (or swift kicks if that’s what you need).

Kim – Hugs and prayers for everyone affected by the fires. It is so nice that you are doing so much for so many people you don’t even know ! ! !

Allison – Good luck with all the problems in your “new” kitchen.

Hugs and Prayers for everyone having surgery. May you find peace and comfort (and avoid boredom) and may your surgeons have clear minds, steady hands, and strong backs !

I stayed home from bowling last night, and now I’m really sorry I missed it. DS was bowling against Dan Williams, who is a PBA bowler. He was able to win 1 game, and made his opponent nervous during another game, because he had strikes the first 8 frames (but he ended up losing that game 246 to 248). I am ½ way finished with the border on my nephews baby afghan. He tagged me on Facebook for a really cute purple and white outfit, but that will have to wait until my arthritis medicine starts to work again, because I can only crochet for about 3 minutes then I have to stop and stretch my fingers.

DS starts his first "real" job this weekend. He will be a pin-setter at Holler House in Milwaukee, which is the oldest bowling alley in the US. I can't believe his is getting so grown-up.

I’m feeling really good about my choices last night, and my lower weight this morning. If I get sent to lunch on time today I will ride the bike for as long as possible, with 15 minutes being my goal. This afternoon is our first Flu Shot Clinic, so yay for fewer people getting sick ! ! !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pipcd34
    Options
    janetr- when rocky was alive (my first golden retriever) he was a therapy dog and we would visit patients in rehab at our local hospital. a lot of them were people that had knee replacement, surgeries. they LOVED him, he would do tricks for them and stuff. if you're lucky, you will have pet visitors too.

cj44ly0iyyh7.jpg

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    dlm4mom wrote: »
    I need help with sticking to goals. I am too exhausted at the end of the work day to even think about exercise. I am too tired to think about calories and I sabotage the whole day almost every evening. I am a new empty nester and it is so much easier to stop for fast food than to go home and cook. I am healthy. My breakfast and lunch are nutritious and reasonable calories.
    It seems like everyone on this site loves to exercise and has endless energy.
    Is there anyone else with these issues???
    Dim,
    I didn't catch your name...we're not all super fit! Some of these wonderful ladies according to Pip have been on this forum for nineteen years! Can you believe it? We all have to start somewhere. I also find myself much to tired after work to even contemplate anything besides some gentle stretching..and that truly happens only bc I'm on the floor easing my back from standing eight hours and bc I'm loving up the dogs! As for cooking...a lot of neat ideas are passed around on here but I'm not there yet either. I started work at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago..to move to a healthier diet I basically have moved my choices from the inner isles of the grocery store to the perimeter.. For instance, my breakfasts are usually whole milk yogurt w a quarter cup granola and a half cup of berries...my lunches three days a week are from the prepared food section of WF and that truly spoils me..my other "meal of the day". Might be a can of progreso soup, some steel cut oatmeal w soy milk and brown sugar, fresh egg omelet, or fresh ground pb on a piece of bread or banana. My snack of the night is usually a few dates or fancy olives or perhaps a clif bar. Simple simple. Maybe once a week I make a big pot of rice w a piece of fish or other fancy meat and a special veggie and make a rice dish wich I eat two or three times...so almost no cooking at all! Even if u set a goal of only taking a walk on the days u don't work and stretching everyday it's an improvement and a move to health. Another good goal to start with is increasing your water intake. Good luck and keep checking in.
    Mindy from Boston
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dim a couple of friends and I have been exercising before work. We get up at an awful hour but we get it done for the day and we actually feel pretty good by the time we get to work. We do it 3 days a week. I also am too tired after work and have too many other things to do.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Polly, I hate to hear that your DS’s chemo is getting the best of him. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.

Michele, I can’t get over the amount of desserts you make for everyone. That has always been something for special occasions from the time I was a child, so it just never crosses my mind. Thank goodness. DH is happy with store bought cookies or ice cream when he needs something sweet.

Becca, congrats on continuing to be a loser! Yes, you will be there in no time at all, so keep up the good work.

Dim4mom, trust me, there are lots of us that do not like exercise!! If I don’t get it done before noon, it won’t get done. The best thing you can do for yourself is plan ahead. When you have the opportunity, even prepare some ahead of time. I am retired but remember when I used to come home after a hard day’s work, the last thing I wanted to do was cook a meal. Luckily, I like left overs, so if I only had to reheat something that was the best for me. You can do this!!! Good luck.

Rori, why in the world does your 4 legged alarm get up at 4:30????

Heather, good for you on getting DH to drive himself to cricket. Why is it that you normally drive him? Is it the parking situation? Or what? Just curious. Glad you are still working on your writing. (((Hugs)))

TerriR, welcome. It sounds like you are really on track. Congrats on getting through the surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery. Come often and join right in.

Beth, so glad your DS got to work yesterday and started today off right. *fingers crossed*

Elaine, good for you on seeing improvements in your eating. Baby steps add up and new habits get formed. Keep up the good work.

Maryann, beautiful picture. I can see why you enjoy those walks with scenery like that.

Allison, I love, love, love your kitchen!!! That stove is to die for! I haven’t cooked on gas in over 45 years but would go back to it in a heartbeat. Love the tile, too. Will we get a picture with the countertops? Great job!!!

Carol, when I read that your son “blamed” you for his struggles, it just made me sick at my stomach. He may not have even given that statement a second thought but I know it was a dagger to your heart. All we can do is the best we know how and I’m sure you did a great job. I can’t even comment on the sexual abuse conversation because, thank goodness I have never been exposed to the problem but it just makes me sick to think about it. (((Hugs)))

Pip, interesting info on the sling. Yep, who woulda thought? I know you are anxious to have it all behind you.

Terri, way to go on that scale going down. Yes you will be in onederland before you know it. Woo Hoo

Pip, Rocky was absolutely beautiful!!!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I love reading about all the different schedules, routines and practices of you ladies. I am always amazed at what you do and how disciplined many of you are. Thank you for being you and for sharing. Congrats for all the victories and Hugs to those that need them. I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Dim - I'm with the others - It has to be done in the morning or it's not done at all. Apart from the occasional leisure walk that is.
    Pre-planning is key to the eating situation. I do a big shop with DH every so often and make sure I buy lots of chicken, fish, meat etc. Every morning when I get up I take something out of the freezer for the evening. Sea bass is especially good as it takes about two minutes. I either buy the fillets frozen or freeze them myself. Serve with lots of veg and a big squeeze of lemon. At the weekend you can do a big curry or bolognese or chilli and have some and freeze in portions. Just take that out in the morning and have with lots of veg. Beats takeaway any day. Some people on here use a slow cooker, which you can put together the night before.

DJ - yes, it's the parking. He has to park a long way away. For his 70th birthday I am buying him a parking space at the ground for 2016. :laugh:

Tonight we have mustard and coconut prawns. All prepped. With the last of my runner beans. I use frozen coconut.

Tomorrow we are going to London to babysit the grandchildren for the weekend. DS &DDIL are leaving at 6.30 am on Saturday to catch the train to Paris. I anticipate being exhausted and I'm not sure if I am looking forward to it or not. :ohwell: Probably a little too long for me! ! ! ! ! But I am really happy to be helping out the young couple and giving them their last solo break before the new baby next spring. After last week's dramas it will be lovely for them. :bigsmile: Luckily DGD still has an afternoon nap so I will be crashing out at the same time. DH is going to take DGS to football training on Sunday morning, so I can have DGD to myself.

Love to all. Hello to the Northern Ireland lady! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    dim4mom - it's not easy, it's just got to become a way of life. ALOT of days, i'm just not in the mood to go to the gym ESPECIALLY ride my bike there and NOT get paid for it to boot! if u keep doing it as a "routine, just another part of the day", you'll get in the groove. i do my workout in the morning, just to get it over with and back in the day when i used to workout 2x a day, if i had enough energy or time, i would then go back after work BUT if i didn't, at least i did it in the morning. hang in there... i also tend to eat the same thing over and over, so i don't have to THINK about what i am going to eat. i love what i eat so i don't get bored with it (u would think i would tho). hang in there.

I agree with several of you including what is said here. I get my walk/lifting done in the morning or else it doesn't get done. I also eat very simply and usually the same things every day. My diary reflects that. I also look at the weekly average not necessarily each day. My average steps for the week, my average protein consumption for the week, my average weight gain/loss for the week. Puts things in better perspective for me. I try and set up the day so that I have little chance of failing at my goals. Stick with it and you will see that routine is a great help in this journey towards good health and fitness.

Cheri in sunny NE Ohio
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Carol ... I agree with your two cents! We may have waited too long, but we fully intend for this to be son's wake-up year. I think he got the message yesterday. Time will tell, but we're not backing down. He wants to go to school way far away and way out of our financial comfort zone. It's the carrot ... Because if he doesn't get it together, we're not throwing money away.

Polly ... So sorry your son is dealing with chemo ...

Dlm... Exercise is my nemesis! Hate it! My job is physical and I'm exhausted by the time I get home. But when I make an effort to push past my whining ... I never regret it.

Beth
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am just sitting down now.. the countertop looks ok, and they buffed the scratch out on the sink, but when I signed off on paperwork I stared at the bottom and wrote approved but could be changed if not to the liking of hubby.. so the might still have to change out sink ,I sent him pictures and now I am POed, now in all this rush I did go down and feed DFIL and I forgot I was supposed to take a urine sample down to vet, so texted Tom told him I would take it tomorrow, he called me back and lit into me and said I had to get it down there now and didnt care about pictures of the sink and hung up on me..
    well that set me off..I texted him back and told him how dare he hang up on me and he was rude and condasending(sp) I planned on making mac and cheese ,cheeseburger meatloaf and blueberry buckle ,early this morning, but the jokers didnt show up here till 11 am and they were supposed to be here between 8:30 and 9 so that is why I rushed back and forgot the urine.. I dont know if I will blow up at him when he gets home or not, but the sink in kitchen is all taken apart so i have to wash everything in the bathroom sink..Oh it's been a day..
    sorry for the rant.. back to your locally scheduled programming ;)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! I did not have a good night. My right leg is really hurting. Not sure what is going on, but can not get comfortable. I am off tomorrow so will call the chiroprator and see if I can get in. I did over eat last evening and not excuse. Sometimes I feel like such a fraud, as lately I have been going over almost everyday. I keep telling myself I am not giving up.

Maryann--congrates on giving in to the donut holes. Not sure I would of been that strong. Beautiful picture.

Allison--I understand and am sending prayers and hugs. We can do this. Your kitchen looks very nice. Sorry to hear DH is acting up again. Stand your ground.

Syliva--How horrible! I pray it is no worse then she has said, but wouldn't be surprised the way she is acting. I would be sure and call the police and get a report. I also wounder if the mom knew and if they really broke up. Hugs and prayers for all of you.

Linda/IA--hugs and good for you. I am trying to think positive and while not always easy if we all look there are lots of positive to think of.

Janetr--love the picture. How did you get up in there? My luck I would fall out of the chair.

Polly--prayers for you and DS.

It is going to be a hot day and I work until 5:30 and then off tomorrow, so planning to take the furbabies to the dog park and do some geocashing. Have a good rest of Thursday.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up on posts by not doing a good job of it. Sylvia has been talking about something with oldest grand daughter and I didn't get an important part of it. I was going to say that maybe she is acting out due to her really worrying about her Dads illness but it sounds like she is worried about something else and I didn't catch it.

Tomorrow is the day, whether jam ready for it or not. No one thinks we needs y kind of home health and my health has nothing to do with what he will qualify for. I am trying hard to get the sinuses back to normal since it is really affecting my sleep which in turn affects my energy. Well you guys all know that.

Ok, now don't laugh at this. I am going to have to go back to cooking. I used to make these dishes that made me the fat person I was a couple of years ago. But they did taste good. So since we can't get Charlie to like anything, I am going to start fixing those dishes and try to be really strict with myself and not eat them. I just hope it will help him eat. When he was home yesterday he ate some of his favorite foods and they didn't taste good at all. Last night we went to Hacienda and I brought home about 90% of his meal. I just don't want to be paying $20 - $30 a meal to go out like we had been doing and him not eat it. And we don't eat the same bing when we go out so we can't split a meal. I told him he may have to order off the children's meal but those are so high in calories and fat. They seem to all be deep fried. And his ulcerative colitis is really bad right now. Other than that he is doing good. He did find out yesterday with the home visit that he isn't as strong as he thought he was.

Was so good to go to choir practice last night!!'

OK, I have to wake up and do something, Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    PROGRESS not PERFECTION

Michele in NC - I'm going to check at the library today for that book. Now if I could just put myself on a time out instead of letting myself get pulled into an argument with a 10 yr old who thinks he is in charge of the house, his brother and me! I tried really hard yesterday to respond to him in a quiet voice and not let him know how much I was enraged inside by his disrespect and rudeness to me but he finally pushed my over the limit button.

Sylvia - Your DGD needs a woman she trusts and knows who she can talk to without being judged since she doesn't have a mother to be that person. I'm guessing that you would love to be that person. Are you able to just be grandma and not be involved in things like happened the other day with looking in her notebook? The last thing you want is for her to feel like she is being attacked by her dad AND grandma. Is her father capable of being the person who handles the problems and you be the safe haven? I would give anything to be able to be that kind of grandma to my grandsons but it will probably never happen. Prayers for wisdom and peace <3

Joyce - Will Charlie be having a visiting nurse coming in after he gets home? Can you get help from chore services through your insurance? Get as much rest as you can before he gets home. (((((hugs))))) across the miles

Cathy - you're right tomorrow is a new day. This isn't a race but a journey so what's important is Progress not Perfection.

Lisa - I knew there was a reason I stayed away from the restaurant business. Whatever made you want to be a consultant in such a crazy industry? You should really write a book! Healing prayers for you <3

Beth - does your DS have a college major in mind? My daughter's stepson was struggling like your DS until he decided he wanted to be a Marine. Once he had something he really wanted and knew what steps he had to take he made a complete turnaround. He raised his grades in school, started increasing his body strength, and became a completely different person. He reported for duty two weeks after he graduated. I hope your DS finds something that ignites a flame in him. <3

I hope I have not said anything to offend anyone. I know what I want to say but don't always say it in the way that I wish I had. One thing I learned about listening to adult kids is they don't always want advice. It's hard for me to remember that when my kids come to me with a problem because I always want to fix it. I try to remember something I learned somewhere - instead of giving advice ask them what they are going to do about it. I know, easier said than done :s

Here are two books that I recommend for getting kids to talk to with you:
    How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, by Adele Faber &
    How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk, by Adele Faber

<3 Gloria in WA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Alison love the kitchen. Sorry about the frustrations in getting the counter right.

Miriam good job on the ice cream.

I agree with you about college. If he is not being responsible about taking care of himself. College demands even more self reliance.

Making my way back home today. In Cedar Rapids at the moment. So far so good.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Bon Voyage! I am such a wimp about driving! I don't even like being driven by DH!

Gloria - you have some very wise words there. LISTENING! Too often we have our own agendas and have no idea what is going on with them. As you say, easier said than done! :laugh:

Got to meet DDIL & DGS in a cafe tomorrow where DGS is having an art lesson! Reminded me of Sylvia!

Love Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Pressed for time just now, but I wanted to chime in with what Linda wrote:
    I’ve been doing some inner reflection the last couple of days. Many of you on this post have suffered health issues, abuse, issues with children, etc. You are all so strong! I read your stories and I can understand why you turned to food for comfort. [...] Please know that I’m thinking of you all, I admire all of your strength, and I’m thankful to have found this group. <3

Linda/IA
    My sentiments exactly! I've learned so much from you all :flowerforyou:

Great to see you here TerriR! There are a lot of names to learn and a lot of stories to twig on to, but if I know you, you'll be up to speed in a jiffy. Heck, soon you'll be outrunning us all, operation or no!

Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif