The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @jennifer_417 Good Luck!!!!! And I've lost a lot of compassion working 911. It seems like it shouldn't be that way but I just don't have a lot of sympathy left for people who won't help themselves out whatever situation they're in.

And hurricane what's-his-name is now looking like he's going to stay well offshore. Now if the rest of this rain would move out, we'd be good to go.

Well, I still have that hammer handy. I may just hit myself in the head with it if it doesn't become more emminently useful.

• hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Not that I don't have any compassion...just that we're not a homeless shelter, y'know?

Sometimes I feel like I have to be heartless to people at this job, but I've had to realize that this is a buisness, and my job is to protect/promote that. The things here aren't mine to give away.

Bah...fatigue is making me maudlin...I'm sure you all know this stuff.

these days, you have to choose your battles, where compassion is concerned. it's in short supply as it is, and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you squander it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,216 Member
    Options
    It's not as complicated as is sounds. An action potential is simple the ability to conducted an electrical signal down an axon. It's made possible by the difference in electrolytes like Na and Potassium across a semipermeable membrane. Think of it like dye dropped into a glass. Diffusion says the dye wants to spread evenly across the water in the glass. If you have a semipermeable membrane, it keeps that from happening. With a nerve, a stimulation makes the membrane more permeable and it allows the electrolytes to cross the membrane. Because they are charged particles (Na is a positive ion, K is a positive ion etc.) it makes the axon act like an electrical charge is moving down the membrane. That charge gives the nerve the potential to make things do work. The strength of that charge is the action potential. it's short lived and Na:K pumps are needed to recharge the potential.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    How much stimulation is needed to start the wave of electrical charge is what makes the threshold for the action potential. Some nerves have low thresholds so they fire quickly, others like deep pain nerves don't fire quite so quickly but when they do, you know they were lit up.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    Not that I don't have any compassion...just that we're not a homeless shelter, y'know?

Sometimes I feel like I have to be heartless to people at this job, but I've had to realize that this is a buisness, and my job is to protect/promote that. The things here aren't mine to give away.

Bah...fatigue is making me maudlin...I'm sure you all know this stuff.

these days, you have to choose your battles, where compassion is concerned. it's in short supply as it is, and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you squander it.

In emergency medicine, the saying is, "No good deed goes unpunished."
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I love all you guys so so hard right now.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @sufferlandrian That, sir, is why I made a good choice when I decided not to go to medical school :D
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @sufferlandrian That, sir, is why I made a good choice when I decided not to go to medical school :D

LOL :laugh:
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    so the weather dudes keep telling me the rain is supposed to subside here at some point, and yet it rained all damn day today.

i'm starting to get a queasy feeling in my gut about moving this weekend.

fingers crossed for a relatively chill night.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Still raining heavily here too. They're saying we may dodge the bullet with what's-his-name out in the Atlantic.

Not as good weather Wednesday, but I managed to get out again (the quality's not as good as Tuesday's pics though).

I didn't have my good macro lens with me... so pissed, you'll understand when you see the last.

58cq6520051j.jpg
    75jma9eusr4p.jpg
    a9s5s8wwrqp0.jpg
    7yg0mx3xnvo1.jpg
    1jn0m9ifojvx.jpg
    Leave me alone, I'm eating here!!
    7sh3yl7dnju8.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Well, they're still great pics!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    i know i'm probably sounding like a broken record (based on recent comments on the online dating topic) but...again, please allow me to apologize on behalf of my gender for behaving like an arrogant *kitten*.

there's something seriously wrong with a whole bunch of us, man. wow.

My fiancé is like you...he gets embarrassed/ashamed for what OTHER guys are doing...in real life/tv/just talking about stuff guys do/say. He just isn't THAT kind of guy and it baffles him why other guys are like that. He is a "guy guy"...blue collar, likes to build stuff, likes to fish, likes things with wheels, etc...he is quite "manly" (not that any of that makes a man but you get what I'm saying) but he isn't macho...and overly macho guys just make him cringe. He also is quite...conservative, I'll say...when it comes to objectifying the opposite sex. He doesn't ogle/catcall, etc and feels like if he were to do it...he'd be a creep. I'm more of an creep than he is, lol! But it isn't like he is prudish or stuffy, he is like a gentleman with a dirty sense of humor...perfect!

• Frankie_Felinius
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This costume. I had to spill the beans to my kiddo because she has the next two weeks off of school and I need to work on it while she is there. Soooo I worked on it today and the neckline is reeeeeally ruffling my feathers. I cannot figure it out. I'm gonna do some YouTube research tonight and see if I can figure it out before I burn the damn thing...

And because I loooove to put pressure on myself and stress myself out...I decided to take part in an October Makeup Challenge (on IG)...each day is given theme/word and you create/post your creation! On some days, I'll go all out but most days I'm just going to give my loose interpretation. Like today was pumpkin...I just did orange makeup. I have a whole box full of theatrical/special fx makeup that I never use so I figured this would be a good time to make a commitment to using it!

Had our first parent/teacher conference...my little dollface is doing so well. No issues whatsoever and she is doing 1st grade work for most things, according to her teacher! So proud of that muffin...

Bought some Cotton Candy Pink color for my hair!!!!!! I'm hoping I can get this blue/green faded enough this week so it is PINK! It was more steely blue the other day...more minty currently...mint under pink will look muddy and icky!

• silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Checking in! Working a 9 hour overtime shift today. I'm soooo looking forward to crawling into my flannel sheets once this shift is over.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've been here for a bit. Gearing up for Primate Animal Liberation Week. Not excited about the extra patrols or some random person coming down here from Houston who doesn't know that all 142 of our chimps have names and their own unique personalities!
    How are THEY going to know that when Hannah runs up to the edge of her enclosure she's not a threat and she's just trying to greet you and say hello?
    How are THEY going to know that Addie grips the hand of the animal attendant giving her insulin because that's the only way she can hug her?
    How are THEY going to know that the squirrel monkeys are harmlessly grooming you when they swarm on you and pull on your hair?

They are going to come up here acting like THEY know EVERYTHING and they don't know SQUAT about our animals! :grumble:

• jennifer_417
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius -your little family sounds really sweet! And I thought your makeup was really pretty!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I've been here for a bit. Gearing up for Primate Animal Liberation Week. Not excited about the extra patrols or some random person coming down here from Houston who doesn't know that all 142 of our chimps have names and their own unique personalities!
    How are THEY going to know that when Hannah runs up to the edge of her enclosure she's not a threat and she's just trying to greet you and say hello?
    How are THEY going to know that Addie grips the hand of the animal attendant giving her insulin because that's the only way she can hug her?
    How are THEY going to know that the squirrel monkeys are harmlessly grooming you when they swarm on you and pull on your hair?

They are going to come up here acting like THEY know EVERYTHING and they don't know SQUAT about our animals! :grumble:
    That sounds...annoying.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

That sounds...annoying.

It is. I'm mostly scared. I don't want some newbie to come in here and us have another incident like we did with Tony years ago because SOMEONE decided not to take the Chimpanzee Behavioral Information class.
    That officer ruined his career out here with us because he failed to take the class and shot Tony. Tony just wanted to see the cows. NOT COOL!
    These chimps are like family to these attendants and they are a very valuable resource of funding for us. They are SO well taken care of here and we refuse to break up social groups just so a few at a time can go to Chimp Haven.
    We did just send an ENTIRE social group there a few months back. It was a sad good bye but we all knew they were going to a better place where they could be more active and live out their lives together.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Wow. Interesting inside look I haven't thought about before...being on the animal testing side and worrying about "liberators" who have no clue what they are doing...just being extreme in their actions. I bet that is scary!!!

@jen_417 Thanks! The makeup came out fine...I just despise the color orange (coral...we're good...orange...ick)...and I felt that I looked like politician's wife, lol. The hair almost looks blonde and the septum ring is barely noticeable...but that is the fun of makeup! Tomorrow is ghost. OooooOOOOooooOoOOOoo!!!!

Thank-you, YouTube, once again...where would I be without you?! I now totally get how to do the neckline...duh...it seems so simple now...but those stupid sewing instructions can be so confusing!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I think my test went pretty well...but it'll be 2 weeks before I know...grr!