October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    everybody is doing so awesome. and those long runs. amazing.

@Stoshew71 what an amazing run, if only because you can eat those 3000 calories. Ah, the things I would love to eat having so many calories to spare!

Runners: what is your resting heart rate? Does it get very low? How low?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1- Rest
    2-2.65 without Garmin
    3- Rest (travel,eat, sleep)
    4-13.37 HM 2:23:50
    5-rest, waiting for chafed thighs to heal
    6- rest, still waiting
    7-3.03
    8th thru13th- nada, Cuboid pain.
    14- 3.40
    15-piriformis steroid injection
    16- rest
    17- 3.02

25.47/90+

Upcoming races:
    10/31/15 Monster Dash 10K, Dallas
    3/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    3/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas

@snha my RHR is about 55. I've seen it in the upper 40's but not often. It's not uncommon I hit above 200 bpm the first few miles of a run, esp when its hot out.

@Stoshew71 Nice run! What's "OA"?
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    added some miles.

exercise.png[IMG][/img]
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The pup Marla and baby Whitney. Both not thrilled about mommy's photo op. But still cute, lol

We're on a section of CT's Rails to Trails here.

d0xudupx2r0n.jpeg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »
    The pup Marla and baby Whitney. Both not thrilled about mommy's photo op. But still cute, lol

d0xudupx2r0n.jpeg

Too cute!
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks for the article. "Comparison is thief of joy. - Teddy Roosevelt" is one of my favorite quotes!

10/1, 3 miles
    10/2, 5.2 miles
    10/3, 14 miles
    10/4, yoga for runners
    10/5, Zumba
    10/6, 4.75 miles
    10/7, 5.2 miles
    10/8, 8 miles
    10/9, rest
    10/10, local 5K here in Maine, finished in 25:31!!
    10/11, 6 mile hike
    10/12, 1 mile
    10/13, Zumba and yoga for runners
    10/14, 7.6 miles
    10/15, 5.0 miles
    10/16, 3.5 miles
    10/17, 10 miles - My last long run before my HM on the 31st. And thinking hard about running a 10K next Sunday...

Goal: 85 miles. Total 70.35 miles.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays LOL on the goose poop! That's better than a rancid armadillo anyday! I admire everyone that gets out with their dogs! Mine are mongrels! You have a beautiful dog!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »

d0xudupx2r0n.jpeg

very cute!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    An evening run today, been busy til now.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR: 1:43:38)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills
    10/8: 10 miles (am), 6.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/9: Rest day
    10/10: 20.5 miles
    10/11: 4 miles
    10/12: Rest day
    10/13: 8 miles, very hilly!
    10/14: 7 miles speedwork
    10/15: 8 miles (am), 3.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/16: 2 miles to shake off the drove-for-3.5-hours feeling
    10/17: 13.1 miles - Baltimore Half Marathon (1:44:24)

Thanks to some MFPals, I am way less negative about my race now than if I had posted this morning right when I got done. Initially, I was disappointed by my time because I had been so dead-set on 1:40 or faster. But as several people reminded me: Baltimore is a hard course, and not every race can be a PR, and 1:44 is still a good time! Plus, both my fall HMs have been well under my 1:45 top-goal for the season, so I can still walk away a winner in my book.

Generally, it was a good race: Baltimore is a fun race overall, and it was perfect conditions for a HM. But today was also a good lesson in humility. I sort of approached this race willy-nilly and didn't respect the challenges of the course or the distance. I didn't sleep well all week (not even the 2 nights before!); I didn't eat enough food at all on Friday let alone enough carbs (I had half a plate of sweet potato fries for dinner at a restaurant at 8:30 pm... not good!); I wasn't mentally checked-in and thought it would be a breeze; I had two hard weeks of training that I should have recovered from better; didn't use the port-o-potty one last time so I had to pee THE ENTIRE TIME (torture!); I went out WAY too fast (I was pacing 7:26 at mile 5, and 7:45 by mile 9, and ended up pacing 7:58 overall). Some of these things were in my control and some were not, but please, learn from my dumb, arrogant mistakes! Respect the distance, whatever you're running, and make sure you're (as) prepared (as possible) whether it's your first race or your zillionth!

Hope everyone else is having a good running weekend and I'm the only one getting schooled by the Humble-Gods ;)

131.7/220

exercise.png

ETA: I did manage a 45-second 10k PR during my HM before I burned out. So that's a silver lining! ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 OA= over all

@kristinegift Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. You should still be proud.
  • kristinegift
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 OA= over all

@kristinegift Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. You should still be proud.

Thanks! I feel better after all the kind words/"that's still a good time, duh" messages on my profile post this morning. Still wish I'd been less blase about my preparation though; I know I could have at least had more energy in the tank going in!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    October Goal—stretch goal 120 km, realistic goal 100 km
    10/1—rest getting a cold I think…
    10/2—10.18 km
    10/3—rest, taking care of errands and resting up for…
    10/4–10.73 km
    10/5—typhoon day, good thing it’s a traditional rest day anyway
    10/6–5.16 km
    10/7—rest
    10/8–5.49 km
    10/9—rest
    10/10–13.92 km
    10/11—3.34 km recovery run
    10/12—5.12 km
    10/13—2.89 km
    10/14—rest
    10/15—5.38 km
    10/16—rest
    10/17—5/24 km—2 laps around a hilly park
    10/18—15.53 km
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 OA= over all

Thanks! I feel better after all the kind words/"that's still a good time, duh" messages on my profile post this morning. Still wish I'd been less blase about my preparation though; I know I could have at least had more energy in the tank going in!

You are amazing to me! Be proud! :smiley:

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Getting cold here and my muscles feel so tight. Have been stretching before, but they are just not feeling loose at all. Especially right anterior thigh. I start having a deep ache on the anterior thigh, slightly toward inner leg about 2 inches above my knee, and a corresponding ache on the anterior and external thigh about an inch below my hip joint. Very painful for the first couple and might loosen up slightly by mile 3. Any ideas from those of you that have been at this for awhile??
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    exercise.png

Wasn't feeling too well at the beer festival (surprisingly, not from drinking too much beer!) Failed at eating enough after running 10km.. Only had a few snacks and had a drink with an energy drink mixed with it - Started giving me chest pains, quite scary and painful. A decent night sleep did the trick though and feel fine today. Don't think I'll be going near those energy drinks for a loooong time!
  • kristinegift
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kareF wrote: »

Wasn't feeling too well at the beer festival (surprisingly, not from drinking too much beer!) Failed at eating enough after running 10km.. Only had a few snacks and had a drink with an energy drink mixed with it - Started giving me chest pains, quite scary and painful. A decent night sleep did the trick though and feel fine today. Don't think I'll be going near those energy drinks for a loooong time!

Oh that happens to me with afternoon coffee if I have a small lunch! My heart goes too fast and I can't focus my brain. It's so unpleasant! Glad you're feeling better!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I did the Holiday Half last year. It's a nice race! :)

@kareF - glad you're feeling better. I've had a couple of episodes of not eating enough after running and it always feels awful!

@skippygirlsmom - Being in the Navy I have to suggest Navy as an alternative to AF for Skip ;) If she really wants to travel, my last couple of floats on my ship took us to the Philippines twice, two different ports in Australia, and Guam - all without me having to spend money on plane tickets. I'm also traveling around Japan on my weekends and I hear the next float will take us to some different countries, though I haven't heard which ones yet.

As for Okinawa - it is the home of the 3rd MARDIV (Marines), along with a Naval Hospital, and an AF base. So my guesses would be @MamaMollyT is there because either she or her spouse is in the USMC, USN, or USAF :) Okinawa is fairly tropical in terms of weather. Maybe a bit colder in the winter - I've only been in the spring/summer so far when we pick up the Marines for our floats.

Tried to get up for a run this morning. Missed most of my runs last week due to my semiannual Physical Readiness Test - PRT (which I passed, but skipped my usual runs to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself or tire myself and not pass it). However, once I woke up this morning I realized I caught the stomach bug that's going around my work, so here I sit on my recliner resting for the morning. I think my big adventure today will just be going to the store to get food for the work week.

Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend :)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays LOL on the goose poop! That's better than a rancid armadillo anyday! I admire everyone that gets out with their dogs! Mine are mongrels! You have a beautiful dog!

Aww, thanks. He's the Mutt King, though, and definitely would be in good company with your dogs. He only *looks* like a border collie, lol!

Also, I don't think rancid armadillo is something I *ever* want to smell!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4
    10/7 4.14
    10/8 snorkel 3 hours
    10/9 rest
    10/10 6.17
    10/11 lazy
    10/12 3.25
    10/13 5.68
    10/14 3.33
    10/15 rest
    10/16 Tropical Storm Nora hit us with torrential rain, horizontal/vertical and maybe even upside down lightning strikes....making it unsafe to run either on pavement or on the lanai-covered but still outdoors treadmill. Instead, I lay on a blanket on the floor of the large walk-in shower, cuddling three terrified dogs.
    10/17 3.26
    @kristinegift : this big old turtle is awed by your sub 1:45....and can only dream of such a thing!

Total 44.53

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png