October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @vandinem Congrats of making it half way to your goal distance! :smile:

@kristinegift Sorry to hear you missed your goal with your HM! BUT that is a fantastic time!!!!! You should be proud of any race you finish - I think it's amazing! :smiley: About the caffeine drinks- I honestly haven't had one in a few years.. Very surprised at how it affected my HR!

@juliet3455 What kinds of fuel-foods do you take with you on a HM aside from protein bars? Good to know about the raisins! Love that I have 'my' pace finally and am injury-free!

@msf74 How did your run with friends go?

@9voice9 Congrats on your weight loss with fitbit so far! I love the challeneges and find the motivation is really good!

@Stoshew71 Seriously your posts are always awesome!! Thanks so much for posting the article about not comparing miles to other runners.. I love the support here on this very thread! Very cool!

@shanaber Lots of races coming up! Good luck with all of them!

@5BeautifulDays What a gorgeous puppy you have! :smiley:

@chicoadm07 Awesome to hear you had a great run! I feel really slack on rest days and struggle with not running lol

@Elise4270 Good luck with your upcoming races! I have my first 10k race next week! I did a 5k a few years ago though was forced to walk 3/4 of it from shin splints. I can't wait to run the whole race this time!

@kstar_lee How old is your little Whitney? Both gorgeous!!

@ACSL3 Yes.. I'm still learning how to properly fuel my body for running. I only started running more than 5k last week in all honesty I need to start reading up on how to look after myself better with more distance! Any tips?
    Hope you feel better soon too! Lots of bugs going around at the moment!

I think I have caught up on everyone's posts now.. Sorry if I've missed you!
  • DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1/10 6.2
    4/10 6.68
    5/10 6.32
    6/10 3.0
    8/10 7.04
    13/10 3.1
    17/10 6.2
    total 38.54
    target 50 miles
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @kareF - I'm still learning too. I recently learned that after distances >5-6 miles I tend to be not hungry right away but then I go from not hungry to so hungry I'm nauseous in what feels like the blink of an eye. I have decided that for me, though, sushi is my favorite post-long run meal ;)

Maybe some of the others will have better advice.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Have decided to increase my target to 50 miles this month. I know it's still low compared to most but I'm getting there! :smiley:

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm happy and proud for the way I manage the marathon. No negative thoughts, no pain, I wanted to enjoy it and I did it. I didn't care about the time (3:39:20 in the end, considering I sort of pulled a muscle in my bum on Thursday and I was terrified I was not able to move, its not bad at all for a first marathon for my expectations) - it was great to be supported by the Amsterdam people, to give the high five to the kids, to overtake the smart guys that run at sub 3h for the first half and then they are out of breath in the last miles eheh. Now time to celebrate!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I'm happy and proud for the way I manage the marathon. No negative thoughts, no pain, I wanted to enjoy it and I did it. I didn't care about the time (3:39:20 in the end, considering I sort of pulled a muscle in my bum on Thursday and I was terrified I was not able to move, its not bad at all for a first marathon for my expectations) - it was great to be supported by the Amsterdam people, to give the high five to the kids, to overtake the smart guys that run at sub 3h for the first half and then they are out of breath in the last miles eheh. Now time to celebrate!

Congratulations! !!!!!.you are awesome :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Congratulations! That's a great time!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Have decided to increase my target to 50 miles this month. I know it's still low compared to most but I'm getting there! :smiley:

exercise.png

I saw something just this week, quote by Roosevelt "Comparison is the thief of joy". Hold fast to your personal progress!

Your always faster than the guy/girl on the couch! (As I lay on the couch.…).
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

exercise.png

01/10 3miles
    02/10 0
    03/10 0
    04/10 0
    05/10 3miles (joined challenge)
    06/10 3miles
    07/10 3.5miles
    08/10 0
    09/10 0
    10/10 0
    11/10 3.5miles
    12/10 3miles
    13/10 3.5miles
    14/10 3miles
    15/10 0
    16/10 3.5miles
    17/10 0
    18/10 3.5miles

Congratulations on you marathon @patrikc333 - great time
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    10/1 4.75 -- I would like to do 6+ miles in the coming days, so, am resting tomorrow!
    10/2 rest day
    10/3 6.51 -- first 10k, longest run (time), and farthest run (distance)
    10/4 rest day--this was a horrible day, could not get any exercise done and felt miserable
    10/5 no running, but good elliptical workout
    10/6 5.53 -- excellent run. the weather was cool and crisp, my muscles cooperated and all went well
    10/7 3.11 -- recovery run? that's what i thought of this one. felt good though!
    10/8 5.61 -- very good run.
    10/9 3.11 -- a little over 9 minutes mile pace!
    10/10 rest, the elliptical hour
    10/11 5.00
    10/12 rest, great elliptical session
    10/13 6.52 — very nice run: farthest I went since i started running; fastest 10K (well, second and faster at 10:33 per mile.
    10/14 3.2
    10/15 3.37
    10/16 no run today — good elliptical session though
    10/17 2.25 — shake up run getting ready for my 5K race tomorrow
    10/18 5.65 — I ran a 5K race in 25:49 (not a PR but very close to one, 25:19 three weeks ago). Pace was 8:16. But, and this is special, I did not feel satisfied and went for a 2.54 mile run!

exercise.png
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options

That is absolutely awesome. What a great run! Congratulations!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 Excellent time! Glad it went well!

@snha Great 5k time!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Oct 03      6.0      6.0
    Oct 04     11.2     17.2
    Oct 06      4.3     21.5
    Oct 08      6.3     27.8
    Oct 10      8.3     36.1
    Oct 11      6.0     42.1
    Oct 14      4.3     46.4
    Oct 15      5.1     51.5
    Oct 18     10.0     61.5

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/4 - rest day Allen's son is in the Nat'l Guard and was supposed to jump yesterday. We were headed there when they cancelled the jump :-1:
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/6 - 5.1 recovery miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 6.6 miles of hilly hills :smiley: not big hills just rolling up and down and up and down
    10/9 - 5 miles my first mile I thought was crappy because I thought my watch said 10:50 and it felt like 10:50. Turned out it was 10:05 which I didn't realize until I pushed harder and my next split was 9:47. Ended up with a 9:49 pace... so happy especially after dancing too much and too late at the Miranda Lambert concert last night!
    10/10 - 5 miles - 9:55 pace don't know what's gotten into me. Ran with Skip who is home from Disney.
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day
    10/13 - 11.1 miles (yes I want my .1)
    10/14 - 5 miles - recovery run with Skip, cool morning about 44F at run time.
    10/15 - 5 miles - another cool morning, I wanted to add a few miles but I got out late so had to stick to my usual run
    10/16 - 3.5 miles I don't know if the stress of this week got to me, if Allen leaving yesterday got to me or my legs just rebelled this morning LOL From step one to failure on my 6 mile run today I felt like crap. Got to about 3 miles and said the hell with it and went home. Oh well 3.5 is better than 0!
    10/17 - rest day XC meet - Skip did great 22:18 top 25 placed and she finished 23rd. She cut 2.5 mins her off time from this race last year.
    10/18 - 4.3 miles with the trail running group we joined. Wow ran trails I would never try alone, when they call a trail "goat trail" they mean it, up up up a narrow rock trail. I was in the middle of the pack, Skip killed it staying at the tail end of the "fast" group.

83.9 of 120 miles

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @acsl3 Skip talked about the Navy too. She's got time since she's only a sophomore, but if she does decide to go the military route her plan is to take someone who can throw the BS flag at the recruiter if they promise something they can't give. :smile:
    @5beautifuldays I'm laughing at the goose poop. My old dog would roll in anything dead she could find. ugh!
    @kstar_lee precious picture
    @kristinegift Girl you did awesome! I had the exact same talk with Skip yesterday. She cut 2.5 mins of her time from the course she ran yesterday from last year. She was 12 seconds behind her PR and was upset. I told her, all courses are different you need to STOP comparing apples and oranges look at last year. We heard the course yesterday was actually 3.2 so technically she would have PR'd if it was 3.1 but she doesn't need to know that ha ha! When she looked at the overall race finishing 23 out of 172 runner and the fact she killed last years time was so close to her PR while others were much slower her feelings changed and she was so happy with the race. You are an amazing runner! About the pee holding...ouch, ugh, yuck! horrible way to run.
    @karef I have a friend whose son almost died from drinking energy drinks, please please everyone be very careful. He was literally sitting in his car one morning and called his dad and said "I'm not sure where I am, I can't remember how to drive and I can't move". He was finally able to describe where he was and his dad (who lives 3,000 miles away) got on another phone call a friend near the son who was able to get to him and get him to the ER. At 19 they believe he had a mini stroke caused by the energy drink(s), he was drinking a few a day. Very scary.
    @patrikc333 fantastic race!! Congrats
    @shna super 5K!

Runners when they get new shoes LOL so true

http://runhaven.com/2015/10/17/9-things-runners-get-new-pair-running-shoes/
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber I think we should organize a group run. It'd be an awesome tradition to start maybe 2-3 times a year in various areas.

I think I'm gonna be OK to continue running. So I'll be the first to say "I'm in"!

Maybe we can start adding the races we plan on running with our mileage and others can join in? Ideas?

I have the rock and roll half in Dallas March 19-20th..
    I also plan on the SOS again in Lawton OK on October 2016.

I like the idea of adding races so that MFP/Running Groups people would get a chance to say hi at events.

Or maybe because I'm the sad sack who finishes the race, wanders around the pavilion alone and asking for someone to take a picture before getting in the car and going home. :)

• kristinegift
    Options
    @kristinegift Girl you did awesome! I had the exact same talk with Skip yesterday. She cut 2.5 mins of her time from the course she ran yesterday from last year. She was 12 seconds behind her PR and was upset. I told her, all courses are different you need to STOP comparing apples and oranges look at last year. We heard the course yesterday was actually 3.2 so technically she would have PR'd if it was 3.1 but she doesn't need to know that ha ha! When she looked at the overall race finishing 23 out of 172 runner and the fact she killed last years time was so close to her PR while others were much slower her feelings changed and she was so happy with the race. You are an amazing runner! About the pee holding...ouch, ugh, yuck! horrible way to run.

Sometimes it just takes someone else to help us put it in perspective. Also, Skip is killing it in these races lately! What grade is she in again? She'll be winning races by the time she's a senior!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @shanaber I think we should organize a group run. It'd be an awesome tradition to start maybe 2-3 times a year in various areas.

I think I'm gonna be OK to continue running. So I'll be the first to say "I'm in"!

Maybe we can start adding the races we plan on running with our mileage and others can join in? Ideas?

Ooh, I love this idea! And I'm shopping for spring races. Looking at the Yuengling Virginia Beach 26.2 in March if I can convince some folks from my local running group to join. But need to run my last fall race before planning too far ahead for the spring/summer.
    gabbo34 wrote: »

I like the idea of adding races so that MFP/Running Groups people would get a chance to say hi at events.

Or maybe because I'm the sad sack who finishes the race, wanders around the pavilion alone and asking for someone to take a picture before getting in the car and going home. :)

Haha, I do the same thing at the end of races. It's just so awkward to stand around when there's no one else there with you! Plus, I always get so cold, that all I want to do is go home and take a hot shower!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

Sometimes it just takes someone else to help us put it in perspective. Also, Skip is killing it in these races lately! What grade is she in again? She'll be winning races by the time she's a senior!

@kristinegift thanks - she's a sophomore.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    0/2 - 3.6
    10/4 - 11
    10/7 - 3
    10/8 - 5.7
    11/11 - 11.9
    11/18 - 13.3

47.6/60

I ran in the Lewsville (TX) That Dam Half Marathon this morning. It's called that because it actually the course goes out on over a dam that's closed to the public most of the yeer.

It was my second half and I hadn't been diligent about as training as my first back in April. Plus it had been so hot here that my training times had been discouragingly slow. But it was cool this morning and my times were better than expected. Mile 11 and 12 were actually my fastest. I ended up finishing 18 seconds behind my April time.

Lesson learned. Running in the heat just sucks. Am going to go to work on knocking down my time for spring. I really want to get a sub 2...which will be about 1 minute faster per mile.