Anyone fancy doing a juice detox?

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    blitz2011 wrote: »
    Glad to see this has sparked some debate...
    @forgtmenot i went vegetarian after juicing last year and i loved it, when i was on holiday i decided to go back to meat and found it to hard to leave it again (damn u tasty animals)... I want to go 100% veg after juicing this time too, hopefully i can.

The point of this is not a long term thing, i think some people think i will want to do this all the time but it's just a detox to me, and just now i very much need a detox... It also seems to help me to do lots of other things like manage food cravings and altogether give me a better appreciation for food. As i said before this helped me loads before and i hope it will do the same this time. regaining the weight was as a result of returning to old eating habits after a holiday and not doing any exercise while working infront of a computer for 12 hours a day...

I have not officially started my juicing and hope to complete it, i have started doing some more research on the subjects and here is one for the people crying fiber: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/the-facts-on-fiber-juice/ I never had any problems...

For protein i did try spirulina powder for a while but really did not like the taste so gave it up, i'll research to see if i can find some better replacement if i go for 60 days like i think i am now going to do.

Out of interest has anyone see the film http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/ which inspired me to do this the first time?

You need real inspiration. Like the kind that isn't a scam.
  • blitz2011
    blitz2011 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    minie_me wrote: »
    Does this kind of diet really work? Wouldn't you just pile the weight back on as soon as you start to eat normal foods again?

The OP did after doing this before.
    No I didn't it was months later I started putting it back on...
  • blitz2011
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    @forgtmenot i went vegetarian after juicing last year and i loved it, when i was on holiday i decided to go back to meat and found it to hard to leave it again (damn u tasty animals)... I want to go 100% veg after juicing this time too, hopefully i can.

The point of this is not a long term thing, i think some people think i will want to do this all the time but it's just a detox to me, and just now i very much need a detox... It also seems to help me to do lots of other things like manage food cravings and altogether give me a better appreciation for food. As i said before this helped me loads before and i hope it will do the same this time. regaining the weight was as a result of returning to old eating habits after a holiday and not doing any exercise while working infront of a computer for 12 hours a day...

I have not officially started my juicing and hope to complete it, i have started doing some more research on the subjects and here is one for the people crying fiber: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/the-facts-on-fiber-juice/ I never had any problems...

For protein i did try spirulina powder for a while but really did not like the taste so gave it up, i'll research to see if i can find some better replacement if i go for 60 days like i think i am now going to do.

Out of interest has anyone see the film http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/ which inspired me to do this the first time?

Where is the scam? I am juicing my own fresh fruit and veg, nothing else?
  • blitz2011
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

It's bogus!!
    How so?

• kk_inprogress
    Options

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead as inspiration. It's a bogus documentary for the purpose of selling juicing equipment.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Does this kind of diet really work? Wouldn't you just pile the weight back on as soon as you start to eat normal foods again?

The OP did after doing this before.
    No I didn't it was months later I started putting it back on...

That's still putting it back on which means you didn't develop long term good eating habits.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Nothing else is the problem. Juicing is fine as a supplement to a well-rounded diet. It's not fine, as your sole source of nutrition and calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

It's bogus!!
    How so?

@shell1005 It's just stupid sauce!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

It's bogus!!
    How so?

When stupidsauce gets put in Websters Dictionary.....I totally want credit.

:wink:
  • an2h
    an2h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    save the puree when you're old and have no teeth to chew your food. Right now, enjoy the texture and taste of your food. It's good for your teeth, its good for your mouth.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

There are so many better sources of inspiration to eat a plant based diet. I've watched fat, sick, and nearly dead. I don't agree with juicing or with treating this as a temporary fix. It doesn't do any good to eat healthy if you just go back to eating crap again.

I recommend the video on YouTube called "the best speech you will ever hear" by Gary yourofsky. Also, the video "101 reasons to go vegan" is great too.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Lol juice cooked meat... For 30 days u don't really need it, I tried organise proline powder in some juices for a bit but did not like it.

I did a 60 day juice detox last year and lost over 3 stone and basically felt amazing, my dry skin disappeared and I did not get sick for months after. It can be hard at first but if u get past day 5 then it gets much easier.

It sort of reset my eating brain process, it would get to lunch time and I would get up to go for lunch and realise I was not even hungry, it's just I'm program to eat at certain times, I don't even think I knew what hunger really was, I used to think it was when my stomach was not full...

Just for argument sake, if someone said things like what you said: feel skin is better, appetite control, lots of energy, not feeling sick, but said they did it using meth, would you accept their testimony?
    When the person and the mind commit to something, especially so daunting as being on a starvation malnutrition plan, they tend to create confirmation bias to justify all that effort. You might have felt great doing it, and you might have convinced yourself you had condition improvements - maybe you even did by eliminating an allergen from your diet though I doubt it - but the facts don't support this being good for you.
    So just as you ( I hope) or I would want a meth user to listen to the science about it over a short experience or testimonial, I hope you'll do the same with the evidence presented here. Please reconsider. The people here may seem abrasive because they don't say what you want to here but consider they're doing so because they're more concerned about your health than giving you unconditional support.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

It's bogus!!
    How so?

When stupidsauce gets put in Websters Dictionary.....I totally want credit.

I can't even tell you how often I use that now.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead as inspiration. It's a bogus documentary for the purpose of selling juicing equipment.

Didn't he end up putting all the weight back on after the documentary also?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I love how you high protein fans won't even address the FACT that osteoporosis is linked to eating large amounts of animal protein.

I've never heard this before

Low BMI..yes
    Menopause, hormones, adrenal issues yes

But I've never heard of this link which is why I asked for the source

There are studies that say too much protein causes your body to excrete calcium, which leads to kidney stones and osteoporosis. As far as I know it (the osteoporosis part) has been debunked much like many of our older studies where we drew improper conclusions.
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2014/07/31/does-animal-protein-cause-osteoporosis/

This is why I struggle with getting enough, but not too much protein. I got in the habit of not eating much after two rounds of calcium oxalate stones in my 20's.

It's also a reason why I'd be a really bad vegan. I have to limit dark green veggies.
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As someone who has researched juice fasting, watched fat sick and nearly dead, and done many juice fasts myself... I can say whole heartedly that juicing can be a positive thing to incorporate into your life but juice FASTING can be dangerous and have many terrible side effects.

I lost my hair from juice fasting which is NOT uncommon. Juice fasting shocks your system, much like sudden malnutrition, and a large percentage of people lose their hair. This isn't often traced back to juice fasting because the hair loss happens MONTHS after you've stopped the fast. I've done my research on this, but I implore you to do your own if you want to get into juice fasting.

My hair has grown back, but the loss was devastating. Also, juice fasting is a quick way to lose weight. You lose poooounds in DAYS! Hurray right? No. Often times those pounds come back because the people juicing didn't develop healthy habits needed to sustain that weight loss. And when you lose weight quick, it comes back quick. Your body is more forgiving when you lose weight slowly. But quickly? Nope. Those nachos will appear on the scale as more than water weight after just a short period.

In short, I warn against juice fasting. The whole rebooting your system is crap from my assessment. Yes, you do get energy and feel great after 5-8 days into a fast (I even worked out during my fasts and I DID have energy) BUT the after effects are terrible. My period still isn't normal...

I want to be careful not to be preachy or judgmental. This is my assessment based on EXPERIENCE and my research, not just opinion. Be careful juice fasters. Be careful.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    As someone who has researched juice fasting, watched fat sick and nearly dead, and done many juice fasts myself... I can say whole heartedly that juicing can be a positive thing to incorporate into your life but juice FASTING can be dangerous and have many terrible side effects.

I lost my hair from juice fasting which is NOT uncommon. Juice fasting shocks your system, much like sudden malnutrition, and a large percentage of people lose their hair. This isn't often traced back to juice fasting because the hair loss happens MONTHS after you've stopped the fast. I've done my research on this, but I implore you to do your own if you want to get into juice fasting.

My hair has grown back, but the loss was devastating. Also, juice fasting is a quick way to lose weight. You lose poooounds in DAYS! Hurray right? No. Often times those pounds come back because the people juicing didn't develop healthy habits needed to sustain that weight loss. And when you lose weight quick, it comes back quick. Your body is more forgiving when you lose weight slowly. But quickly? Nope. Those nachos will appear on the scale as more than water weight after just a short period.

In short, I warn against juice fasting. The whole rebooting your system is crap from my assessment. Yes, you do get energy and feel great after 5-8 days into a fast (I even worked out during my fasts and I DID have energy) BUT the after effects are terrible. My period still isn't normal...

I want to be careful not to be preachy or judgmental. This is my assessment based on EXPERIENCE and my research, not just opinion. Be careful juice fasters. Be careful.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully this will help others
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

You do gain some of the weight back. That's normal. But you don't have to gain it all back if you eat a balanced diet after the fast from then on. Problem is, many people struggle with this long term. Not all, but many. Myself included when I had my many bouts with juice fasting. Fasting to lose weight is as mentally unhealthy as it is physically.

Just do the work to lose weight. It's more rewarding and it's more likely to last. I'm starting all over and doing the work myself. I plan to keep the weight off this time. For good! No shortcuts disguised as "rebooting" or "detoxing" or "cleansing"
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I have not officially started my juicing and hope to complete it, i have started doing some more research on the subjects and here is one for the people crying fiber: [...xxx...] I never had any problems...

Out of interest has anyone see the movie [...xxx...]which inspired me to do this the first time?
    You have been informed that this may be a diet that will harm you. You've been told to see a doctor before starting this.

If you're hell-bent on doing it, then that is what you will do. I'm not going to argue abut it. It's your body, your health, your life.

But the smart and reasonable thing to do is to the doctor and be sure that you have him on board before you proceed with this.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.