Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I personally believe processed and smoked foods arent healthy. But colonoscopy well show you quite literally if there is anything to be concerned about there. Plus you get to show people the pictures to prove that your head really isnt up there. Win win!

so if your get adequate nutrition and hit macros and eat processed foods you are are not healthy???

What a silly question. Health has to do with more than what you eat. If you eat processed meat you have an increased risk of disease. If you have disease, you are not healthy. So it seems reasonable to say that processed meats are not healthy, as they do not promote health.
    Was kind of a bit of his point. Simply judging a person is not healthy by the singular fact that they eat processed meat is excessive simplification.
    And blanket saying processed meat is not healthy because of an increased risk of one disease is an oversimplification. Last I looked, there is a whole slew of diseases processed meat can help prevent.

Who was judging a person's health? The opinion was that processed meat was not healthy, and that seems a reasonable opinion. Much more reasonable than trying to spin that as saying everyone that eats processed meat is not healthy.

But I am curious about the slew of diseases processed meat prevents. Can you elaborate?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I personally believe processed and smoked foods arent healthy. But colonoscopy well show you quite literally if there is anything to be concerned about there. Plus you get to show people the pictures to prove that your head really isnt up there. Win win!

so if your get adequate nutrition and hit macros and eat processed foods you are are not healthy???

What a silly question. Health has to do with more than what you eat. If you eat processed meat you have an increased risk of disease. If you have disease, you are not healthy. So it seems reasonable to say that processed meats are not healthy, as they do not promote health.
    Was kind of a bit of his point. Simply judging a person is not healthy by the singular fact that they eat processed meat is excessive simplification.
    And blanket saying processed meat is not healthy because of an increased risk of one disease is an oversimplification. Last I looked, there is a whole slew of diseases processed meat can help prevent.

Who was judging a person's health? The opinion was that processed meat was not healthy, and that seems a reasonable opinion. Much more reasonable than trying to spin that as saying everyone that eats processed meat is not healthy.

But I am curious about the slew of diseases processed meat prevents. Can you elaborate?

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

There are illnesses prevented by bacon and vienna sausages? Now you got my attention for sure :) Please explain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2015
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

Can you point to any studies linking processed meat to this prevention? Or are we just being silly again?

(is starvation a disease or a cause of disease?)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I read that your chances of getting colorectal cancer, for an average person, is about 5%. http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colorectal-cancer/risk-factors-and-prevention If it is true that bacon raises your risk by 18%, that would take you up to about 6%.

We make bacon and eggs every morning in my home. I'll risk that for bacon.

Five percent does seem low, but...

"Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined. It is expected to cause about 49,700 deaths during 2015."

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/colonandrectumcancer/detailedguide/colorectal-cancer-key-statistics
  • senecarr
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

Can you point to any studies linking processed meat to this prevention? Or are we just being silly again?

A study that food with calories prevent starvation? That food containing salt prevents salt deficiency? That a food contain protein prevents protein deficiency? That a food containing vitamin B12 prevents B12 deficiency?
    It isn't about sillyness. It is about viewing foods as good or bad irrespective of diet.
  • senecarr
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

1. Starvation-Eating non processed foods does this too
    2. Hyponatremia- Adding salt to nonprocessed foods does this too
    3. Kwashiorkor this is a lack of protein. Non processed proteins do this too
    4. hypocobalaminemia- B12 is in fish, shellfish, beef. All of which are nonprocessed too.

Failed to say it was the only way to prevent these diseases. Were you contending processed meat is the only way to get colo-rectal cancer?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

A study that food with calories prevent starvation? That food containing salt prevents salt deficiency? That a food contain protein prevents protein deficiency? That a food containing vitamin B12 prevents B12 deficiency?
    It isn't about sillyness. It is about viewing foods as good or bad irrespective of diet.

Yes to all questions. Saying food that is known to increase risk of cancer is not unhealthy because it can prevent starvation is silliness in my book.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

Yes to all questions. Saying food that is known to increase risk of cancer is not unhealthy because it can prevent starvation is silliness in my book.

ethanol, corn, peanuts (I'd find more cancer causing foods, but I'm lazy) all "cause" cancer as well...

Even red wine "causes" cancer.

How many of you are avoiding these foods because of their equally strong link to cancer?

Also, coffee is in the same cancer classification as lead, which is known the state of California to cause cancer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

ethanol, corn, peanuts (I'd find more cancer causing foods, but I'm lazy) all "cause" cancer as well...

How many of you are avoiding these foods because of their equally strong link to cancer?

I've never heard that peanuts or corn cause cancer. What types of cancer? Is it "equally strong"?

I do limit alcohol because of it's association with disease.

Edit: alcohol, and red wine specifically, also have an association with good heart health. Other than the silliness of preventing starvation and such, I've never heard of any association between improved health and processed meats
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options
    aflatoxin B1 contamination for both corn and peanuts (counts as much as nitrogen added to cured meats if you ask me).

Contamination is usually low (almost always within established safety limits), but ubiquitous in those foods.

There's little political pressure to quantify their increase in excess cancers, so little to no press, though there's no doubt AFB1 is one of the most toxic and cancer causing compounds humans are regularly exposed to.
  • LKArgh
    edited October 2015
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

Also, coffee is in the same cancer classification as lead, which is known the state of California to cause cancer.

Alcoholics are at increased risk for cancer and this has been a known fact for a long time. Alcohol is something that can be beneficial in moderation, very dangerous in large quantities and there are medical guidelines about what moderation means.
    Can you provide links about the association between peanuts and cancer? I have never seen this and it sounds very interesting.

Actually tried to google the peanuts and cancer link, and all I can find is that peanuts protect against certain cancers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    aflatoxin B1 contamination for both corn and peanuts (counts as much as nitrogen added to cured meats if you ask me).

Contamination is usually low (almost always within established safety limits), but ubiquitous in those foods.

"if you ask me". No offense, but I think I'll research that further. I would expect this to be more widely reported if experts in the field agreed. But I will check for research on it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

Alcoholics are at increased risk for cancer and this has been a known fact for a long time. Alcohol is something that can be beneficial in moderation, very dangerous in large quantities and there are medical guidelines about what moderation means.
    Can you provide links about the association between peanuts and cancer? I have never seen this and it sounds very interesting.

Actually tried to google the peanuts and cancer link, and all I can find is that peanuts protect against certain cancers.

You don't have to be alcoholic to have any increased risk of cancer from alcohol. Women who drink are at increased risk for breast cancer, though I have read that folate can counteract that risk.
  • LKArgh
    Options

There's little political pressure to quantify their increase in excess cancers, so little to no press, though there's no doubt AFB1 is one of the most toxic and cancer causing compounds humans are regularly exposed to.

Aflatoxins are not part of processing peanuts or grains for consumption, they are a result of contamination. And in most countries there are supposed to be regulations and contaminated products discarded.
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options

1. Starvation
    2. Hyponatremia
    3. Kwashiorkor
    4. hypocobalaminemia

I'm really being a smart *kitten*. It's just an example of something harmful absolutely being there (AFB1) but the dose being low enough (in most developing nations) to not be a concern.

Much like most all of the "risk" of the processed meats goes away as people consume closer to the recommended fruits and veggies.

Most of the excess cancers and acute toxicity of AFB1 will be from developing countries, though isolated incidents have occurred in the US (dog foods).

The picture is so blurred talking about food though. As something "harmful" is always being "beneficial" at the same time. I think you can "what if" better choices in food all the way up to kale....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Aflatoxins are not part of processing peanuts or grains for consumption, they are a result of contamination. And in most countries there are supposed to be regulations and contaminated products discarded.

Other things in the same cancer causing category as meat:
    Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

eating salted fish (chinese style)
    drinking alcohol

getting X-rays done or going out into the sun (UV rays)
    oral and hormonal contraceptives
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Other things in the same cancer causing category as meat:
    Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

eating salted fish (chinese style)
    drinking alcohol

getting X-rays done or going out into the sun (UV rays)
    oral and hormonal contraceptives

What do you mean by "in the same cancer causing category"?